++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Well okay I didn't know what was your intention for him, suicide bike is the thing I've seen the most but your idea seems pretty solid. I don't play KDK a lot as MoK is the one I like the less, but the times I do I've never played Kor'Lath, maybe I'll give it a try after reading this!

Since the axe provides ap2, have you thought of doing a claw+melta bomb vs a power fist to save points (with a slight reduction in high av killing power)?

You made me consider it, but only very briefly... the claw only has AP3 (which isn't a slight, but a (to quote a certain annoying orange) 'HUUUUGE' reduction in av killing power, the Axe itself only has Strength, and a bomb only strikes once. I'd gladly pay an extra 5 points to overcome those massive drawbacks. (Claw + Meltabomb = 20pts VS Power Fist = 25pts). :laugh.:

Well okay I didn't know what was your intention for him, suicide bike is the thing I've seen the most but your idea seems pretty solid. I don't play KDK a lot as MoK is the one I like the less, but the times I do I've never played Kor'Lath, maybe I'll give it a try after reading this!

Haha yeah... for me it's a simple choice:

Either:

pay 155 points for a Bloodthirster that will only last half the game and does nothing in turns one and two

Or:

pay 220 points for a rock hard Lord that gives me board control the entire game and which will yield a Bloodthirster that will last the rest of the game

Simple math tells me that I pay 65 points for a rock hard Lord on a Juggernaut that gives me board control and killy power in the first three turns. To me, that's not a choice at all. ;) I'm not saying this is the best and only way to play the Axe of Kor'Lath, I'm just saying that this fits my style of play with this army. :D :tu: 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

tbh, when you say it like that i think your right in going for a lord that has more points ... whats the exact layout you are going using? have you got a full list ? I run your 1250pnt army through BattleClinic and it looked good to me, plenty of bodies (which i i like personally) and what looked like enough firepower for most situations. you might want a Hell drake at some point for pesky fliers haha 

tbh, when you say it like that i think your right in going for a lord that has more points ... whats the exact layout you are going using? have you got a full list ? I run your 1250pnt army through BattleClinic and it looked good to me, plenty of bodies (which i i like personally) and what looked like enough firepower for most situations. you might want a Hell drake at some point for pesky fliers haha 

Cheers, buddy!

The 1250 list I run is as follows:

Hidden Content

CAD

Lord on Jugger with PF and Sigil

10 Khorne Marines + 2x Meltagun in a Dozer Rhino

10 Khorne Marines + 2x Flamer and a Combi Flamer in a Dozer Rhino

10 Flesh Hounds

Maulerfiend

Maulerfiend

To me, a balanced army should dedicate 1/3 to anti-infantry, 1/3 to anti-armour, and 1/3 to anti-flier. However, you can ditch one of those to go 50-50 on the other two. Besides, the heldrake and soul grinder are the only anti-air options in the KDK list, and neither is very good at it. My KDK lists usually just ignore flyers and dedicate everything towards anti-armour and anti-infantry. Except for the flamer unit which is only anti infantry - but I can always swap those three flamers for two meltaguns. 

A 1850 KDK list I was thinking about goes as follows:

Hidden Content
Blood Host Formation Detachment:

Slaughtercult Formation

Lord on Jugger with PF, Sigil, and Axe of Kor'Lath

10 Khorne Marines + 2x Flamer + Combi Flamer in a Dozer Rhino

5 possessed in a Dozer Rhino 

Gore Pack Formation

3 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

3 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

10 Flesh Hounds

10 Flesh Hounds
War Engine Formation

Maulerfiend 

War Engine Formation

Maulerfiend

The problem with this ^^ list is the loss of ObSec, of course, and the weak biker units. So I could also drop the possessed and take more bikers - which gives me more bikers (yay) and ObSec, but I lose the extra Blood Tithe Point and extra Boon of Khorne Special Rules:

Hidden Content

CAD

Maulerfiend

Maulerfiend

Gore Pack Formation

7 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

7 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

10 Flesh Hounds

10 Flesh Hounds

Or: instead of increasing the numbers in the biker units, go for that Heldrake in the CAD, and give meltabombs to two of the Marine champions. 

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Black_out ninja'd me. :ph34r.:

Less tactics, more paint!! Juggernauts are some of my favorite models in the setting for reasons I cannot even begin to guess at.

Yeah, yeah. :wink: I'm struggling a little. I am getting back to work atm after a loooong time away with my slipped spinal disc injury, and the few hours I do work drains all of my energy. I have never been this tired in my life. :ohmy.:

I'm surprised by the size of the units, on paper it has always seemed to me that kdk would benefit from msu.

I know right?! :smile.: The problem is that MSU is not really possible with KDK. Both Khorne Marines and Berzerkers come in squads with a minimum size of 8. I figured I'd be better off adding two to make ten-man squads, so as to allow them a second special weapon and maximum use of the rhino's points cost.

In the 1850 list, I agree it would be far better to split up the second Flesh Hound unit into two of five each (the first squad should remain 10 strong, because it acts as a delivery for the Lord). 

EDIT: syntax 

Of the two 1850 points list I like the second more, I don't thinks blood host brings too much to the table as I don't see this list depending at all of the blood tithe table and possessed have no real purpose in there neither, while those extra bikers certainly are a good thing to help the unit survive and deliver its melta guns where needed. That said, I think you don't need so many of them in each unit, you could run two units of five with two melta guns and one of three with a single melta which would give you an extra unit which can pick objectives and an extra gun while just loosing a single bike which, for me at least, is a win. Everything else seems right, good luck playing it!

Of the two 1850 points list I like the second more, I don't thinks blood host brings too much to the table as I don't see this list depending at all of the blood tithe table and possessed have no real purpose in there neither, while those extra bikers certainly are a good thing to help the unit survive and deliver its melta guns where needed. That said, I think you don't need so many of them in each unit, you could run two units of five with two melta guns and one of three with a single melta which would give you an extra unit which can pick objectives and an extra gun while just loosing a single bike which, for me at least, is a win. Everything else seems right, good luck playing it!

That's a brilliant insight. Summoning daemons won't be needed, I think, and the BT is already present through the Axe of Kor'Lath. The only things I need from the Blood Tithe table is level 3 - which gives Feel No Pain, and level 4 - which gives +1 attack. I can safely say I'll get that many BTPs in every turn.

I'll put two flamers in the three-man biker unit. Combined with Teetengee's comment on MSU, This will be my list:

CAD

Maulerfiend

Maulerfiend

Gore Pack Formation

5 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

5 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

3 bikers + 2 flamers

10 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds
5 Flesh Hounds

@ hushrong: You should swing by more often! :) CSM need a reboot, but I'm confident with the new TS, that more is on it's way. 

Yeah, you shouldn't have to tell me twice to stop on by. Every update is a treat.

As for chaos I agree. There are some goodies out there and with KDK, recent Thousand Sons love, and traitor legions I am hopeful. Plus, their minis just keep getting better which is very weird because that's Forge Worlds job.

CAD

Maulerfiend

Maulerfiend

Gore Pack Formation

5 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

5 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

3 bikers + 2 flamers

10 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds
5 Flesh Hounds

I love the idea of this list along with the Rhinos, mainly for the Rhinos as they look ace. Truly inspired.

CAD

Maulerfiend
Maulerfiend

Gore Pack Formation

5 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

5 bikers + 2 meltaguns 

3 bikers + 2 flamers

10 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds
5 Flesh Hounds

This list looks good, do your captains (of the csm squads) have an power weapons? 

Feeling a lot better today, I'm back on the hobby track. 

With the 1850 KDK list, There's a good chance there'll be two Bloodthirsters on the table - one from the Axe of Kor'Lath, and one summoned through blood tithe points. But I only have the new Bloodthirster and as you know I like variety. So I had to get me an alternative. 

Now, there are plenty of third party otpions out there - but they're all pretty pricey in themselves, and also they're third party, which will bar me from both GW tournaments and to play at their shops. I was already looking at converting a Daemon prince when Lo and Behold I found a metal 1998 one online. It had a horrible 1998 paint job to go along with it, but for $22 I wont complain. I used StMarc, a paint remover, to scrub it mostly clean of paint. Only in the deepest of crevaces and around where the paint mixed with superglue is there still some left, but I can live with that. So here's my next project:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps5xfg2usj.jpg

I've also painted the three containers from GW I built last week. They're really good quality terrain pieces. If a little pricey - but you also get a ton of scatter terrain to go along with it - 12 crates and 9 barrels - making this a pretty good purchase. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Terrain/temporary_zpsuzrqxqwb.jpg

Additionally, my second order from Puppetswar came in. There where two dragon's teeth missing from the previous order adn they were very helpfull and replaced them, and even gave me some additional ones to spare! Great company.

Thanks for looking!

Replies!

@ Noctem Cultor: Haha 'dental job'. Thanks though. I should start painting it, actually. Perhaps this weekend.

@ Hushrong: I really hope that they see how popular those TS mini's are right now, and decide it is worth it to upgrade the Khorne Berzerker kits - and perhaps get some plastic Plague Marines too. With the new TL rules for Death Guard, I bet Nurgel armies are gaining in popularity again., 

@ Thousand Eyes: Thanks buddy! Yeah, it's fairly competative, fluffy, and great fun to play with, as everything moves 12". :D :tu:

@ Sagentus: The Champions do not have power weapons. PW aren't worth their points, IMO. I rely purely on weight of attacks with them. The cool thing is that no unit in this army poses any more of a threat than the others, without any unit being weak in any particular front. This makes target priority a very big issue for your opponent with this list, and that gives it the greatest advantage. 

Oh man! That is a classic mini and I cannot wait to see what you do with him! Are you going to mix and match some new plastic bits onto that relic or keep as-is?

The terrain looks nice too. That box set is tempting to pick up just because of the scatter terrain to lay around.

I'm a bit ashamed I haven't picked up any new tzeentch stuff. I started up a Tzeentch force but they and a bunch of other crazy projects are on hold until I can finish my main army...and one, just one side army. I lack a lot of hobby discipline. New cult troop boxes would be great but I would lose my mind if they made a new, good plastic set of standard CSM/Chosen marines. *slightly toast to that idea with my morning orange juice.

Jugger Lord is looking good buddy, id personally go for a power Fist over the Blood Fist, I think the slightly open handed PF from the CsM box in a similar palm up pose to the BF would look really good with the chain.

The crates look good as well as all the dragon teeth, I enjoy making and painting terrain from time to time. I find it quite therapeutic not having to worry about painting warp damned trim on EVERYTHING! :D

Looking forward to the Mauler updates.

The maulerfiend is amazing the new pose and the fangs add a lot to the model !

Haaaa the old school bloodthirter looking forward for him ! Always loved this model and with your skills it's gonna be even better !

Hey buddy, excellent work on that Maulerfiend! It looks much more feral that way, which is excellent! The open maw is something I really wanted to do on my own Forgefiend before chickening out -- kudos for going through with it! ;)

The jugger lord has a great sense of dynamism and aggressiveness, although I think he really, really needs something to actually bring him into 40k, as he basically looks like an Age of Sigmar Chaos Lord right now -- so a power fist might be a good first step anyway (that being said, maybe you could keep the design from that Blood Fist for the back of his power fist?). I also think you should replace that gaping maw on his belly with some cabling, as that would be a great way of making him look just a bit more SciFi.

Anyway, always looking forward to your next update! :)

Hey guys and gals! Been a while since I commented. Balancing recovery from my back injury and getting back to work (especially the 45 minute drive it takes me to get to and from there), prove to be quite a challenge that eats up massive amounts of energy - for the first time ever, I feel like I'm getting old. Dammit. :p

Anyway, to rejuvenate my spirits I set to work on doing some hobby work. I had a massive amount of projects in progress and lying around, which I realized were becoming a bit of an obstacle. Here's a list of things I have started, but have not finished:

Imperial Fists:

- Typhon (build, basecoated)

- two Drop Pods (build, ready for basecoat)

- Command Squad on bikes (30% build, need tons of work)

- Assault Squad (build, needs different legs though)

Khorne Deamonkin

- objective markers (build, ready for paint)

- Juggerlord (partially build)

- Maulerfiend (build, ready for basecoat)

- Bloodthirster (cleaned, still waiting for an order of brass rod for pins. Started work on his 80mm base)

- 10 Khornate Marines (in various states of build, from ready for paint to still on sprue)

- 3 Bloodcrushers (need rebasing)

- 30 Bloodletters (need repainting and rebasing)

- Khârn the Betrayer (build, ready for basecoat)

Terrain:

- Promethian Relay Pipes (build, ready for basecoat)

You can see how this had starting to become a bit overwhelming. So I sat myself down today and started working on it. I manage to do a lot, actually! I finished rebasing the bloodcrushers, finished painting the Objective Markers and the Relay Pipes, and am now halfway through painting the Drop Pods.

I'll get good pictures of the pipes and the objective markers when it's light out, but for now I can show yuo the progress on the drop pods:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsnpo5zp29.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies:

@ hushrong: Thanks! The BT will be just the stock model, but I will repose him slightly. About the containers set: indeed! The scatter terrain is very nice to have! And I get what you're saying re: a possible new CSM release vs just converting them. I advice just going through them. Chaos miniatures are always awesome to paint. ;)

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Thanks, yeah I thought so too. PF it is!

@ Biohazard: Cheers. Power Fist it will be! I'm going to use a stadard closed one from the SM kit - I like how its simple style breaks up the ornate effect of the rest of the model. TRIM SUCKS!

@ malcharion: Cheers, buddy! I can only hope the BT and Maulerfiends will look half as brutal as your Charcharodons. :tu:

@ KrautScientist: That's great advice! I totally agree he looks way to AoS right now. I'm confident that a Back Pack, the plain Power Fist, and a holstered bolt pistol on his right hip will convey his 40K nature. I agree his belly mouth adds to the fantasy style, and agree that cables would convert that to a definite 40K vibe, but I love that belly mouth so much! I'll take ictures of him with the backpack, pistol and power fist, and I hope you'lll let me know if he's 40K enough. ;)

@ Teetengee: I know, right? That maw is so cool!

Sweet! That's quite the to do list but looking forward to seeing those checked off. Best of luck with the recovery! I've only pulled muscles in my back but it always sucks. For me it was getting in and out of my car that's killer.

Promised pictures of the things did yesterday:

FINALLY the Objective Markers for my Khorne Daemonkin force are finished!
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsxcyrtuc0.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps7le3bf8o.jpg

Also finished rebasing the Blood Crushers:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpso86t4eex.jpg

more pics

And lastly, the promethean Relay Pipes, which are cool looking scatter terrain pieces in and of themselves :) These are not glued, so I can actually mix and match them according to the battlefield needs. :tu: I love this stuff - so much so that I decided to relent to GW, give all my home made terrain to the local games club, and buy two sets of Secotr Imperials to go with my Basilica piece. That, along with the stuff I already painted the past two weeks, should give me plenty of terrain pieces to play over. Yay!
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Terrain/temporary_zpsh2axegtp.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Terrain/temporary_zpsybzsonix.jpg

Anyway, there´s also some progress on the pods! Dammit, this is why everyone hates these things. I spent at least four hours painting these today, and all I got done was to wash the yellow details with Agrax, mask and spray the hazard stripes on the inside of the doors, and paint the outer panels black. I mentioned I ploughed through, but honestly it doesn´t feel like much. Luckily all that remains is some more black, the metalwork, details, and the fun part where you get to hide all your stupid mistakes: weathering.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsclaxu2lt.jpg

So three items crossed off my list. I'm going to continue to do this until all is crossed out - I feel like it will give me more focus! :D

Hidden Content

Imperial Fists:

- Typhon (build, basecoated)

- two Drop Pods (build, ready for basecoat)

- Command Squad on bikes (30% build, need tons of work)

- Assault Squad (build, needs different legs though)

Khorne Deamonkin

- objective markers (build, ready for paint)

- Juggerlord (partially build)

- Maulerfiend (build, ready for basecoat)

- Bloodthirster (cleaned, still waiting for an order of brass rod for pins. Started work on his 80mm base)

- 10 Khornate Marines (in various states of build, from ready for paint to still on sprue)

- 3 Bloodcrushers (need rebasing)

- 30 Bloodletters (need repainting and rebasing)

- Khârn the Betrayer (build, ready for basecoat)

Terrain:

- Promethian Relay Pipes (build, ready for basecoat)

Thanks for looking and feedback welcome!

Replies!

@ Black_out: A bigún today! Hope you liked it. :)

@ hushrong: don't get me started on the car, dude. Everything about driving sucks at the moment, which sucks a lot, because I like driving. Oh well, I have to bike everywhere local again, which is good for the booty. :p

@ The Traitor: Thanks buddy! Three down, ten to go!