++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

@ Mechanist: But... but... all my poxies are different! All 110 of them! But I understand that the creepy extra hand is a dead give-away. That being said, I do get what you'r saying re: the belly-mouth. I had three of those guys, and they're all worked into different guys with different weapon combo's in relatively different poses, so hopefully it doesn't stand out that much. The fact that you noticed does make me rethink my confidence in that hope, though...  I did however, start smoothing the belly-mouths of the second Plague Marine kit I have just started on. 

I think because these features are a large area of the torso they do stand out even amid the brilliant conversions going on round them. Bare in mind that on a table top it's a very different environment and angle of viewing to them being presented one by one twice actual size on a forum. I have no doubt that in the horde of pox walkers that they should be hard to notice.

The marines are in lower numbers and so it may stand out more when half the squads for instance have the same largish detail in a prominent place. For me it would be an area that I could play with to push the conversions and enjoyment of doing the conversion further. Would love to see a guy with the mouth hollowed at and a peeking nurgling face, others could just trim or smooth back the teeth to a rough edge with ropes of guts hanging out. Heck if you have the swinging nurgling from the plague bearers it could be a fun little detail.

Edit: I should probably also add that it doesn't help that the multi part plague marine box come with a further 2 belly mouths as large dominant details so I'd take it as a challenge to get more variety once your past about 15 guys in total.

Edited by Mechanist

The surgeon looks great, a really creepy vibe going on with that cleaver and the whole ghoulish appearance. Looking forward to seeing all these badboys in their painted (and very unwashed) glory!

Today's my birthday - I turn thirty eight (38!)!!! Family is coming over later this afternoon, as well as friends with kids, I'm pretty much alone for most of the morning, as the GF had a day shift at the hospital, but she did have a fantastic gift for me and we had a lovely breakfast together. And what arrived on my doorstep?

Here's some cakes. Beautiful cakes.

Ave Dominus Nox Cake

Blood for the Blood God Cake

Khârn the Betrayer Cake

HAHAHA!!! perfect gift from the GF! What to say in explanation to my mum??

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Dragonlover: Might be, buddy! The Deat Guard are a taste apart, that's for sure. The kits are fairly restrictive, which doesn't lend itself to dramatic posing and such. Love to stand beside you in the CSM forum too!

@ Mechanist: No more belly mouths! I swear! I've already drilled out the first. :smile.:

@ Viridia: Cheers! I'm looking forward to finally having a game with them. It's a cool rule, but not allowing myself to play with unpainted miniatures sure is a hassle. :wink:

@ Barabbas Sogalon: Oh! Like the Red Butchers? 

[hidden][imghttps://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0294/72/1389595774941.jpg[/img][hidden]

@ BubblesMcGub: Cheers! He's creepy eh?

@ Wilks_: Glad to hear you like it! The creepy vibe was the intent. :wink:

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Thanks, mate!

@ Hungry Nostraman Lion: Glooming Lords? Linky? I will post an amry pic when I have the army semi-ready of course. But I don't really do batreps, sorry!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Thanks for the congratulatory words, guys! 

A question for SkimaskMohawk and DuskRaider: both of you have commented on my PM loadouts before, so could you tell me what's wrong with those of my squads, game-wise? And do you have suggestions to improve them? I'd appreciate the feedback and am eager to learn from your experience! :tu: Thanks a lot for the advice!

@ sfPanzer: haha thanks, buddy! I have some left, so if you're in town between today and Tuesday, you're most welcome to come grab a bite. In fact, any frater is!

@ Hungry Nostraman Lion: Indeed, I am a lucky man. Also, wow! That looks good, buddy! Lovely interpretation (well, it's almost a perfect match). I love the rust effect on the axe - how did you achieve it?

@ BubblesMcGub: Welcome to a piece of pie, buddy!

@ Custom Hero: That is saying something. The community seems quite divided on the new DG kits. I'm still not sure, but I sure like kitbashing them! Also: welcome to my thread, I dn't think I've ever seen you comment here. :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

@ SkimaskMohawk: Cheers! Glad you see the conversion!

@ DuskRaider: I have so far, thanks! :D 

That is Talos! And I did eat his face. ;)

Any advice on this?

A question for SkimaskMohawk and DuskRaider: both of you have commented on my PM loadouts before, so could you tell me what's wrong with those of my squads, game-wise? And do you have suggestions to improve them? I'd appreciate the feedback and am eager to learn from your experience! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for the advice!

Oh my, happy birthday, buddy! Hope you're having a brilliant day -- although at least it seems you've got cake galore! Speaking of which...

HAHAHA perfect gift from the GF. What to say in explanation to my mum??

NEVER let that girl go, you hear me? A Khârn cake? That's brilliant! I would kill for something like that. And maim. And burn, obviously ;)

Again, hope you're having a swell day! :)

Ack! I meant Talos but my brain isn't functioning today.

I can't comment too much on competitive lists or whatnot, but I've always had a love affair with Plasma Guns. I still remember taking Plasma Gunner Havocs in 3rd. This edition is extremely Plasma friendly and we have an advantage over most other MEQ armies (other than the OP Hellblasters) in that we can take 3 to a squad... not to say I don't see the perks of the Blight Launcher. In fact, I'd be tempted to take them in my Assault Squads. The Plague Spewer is good for them as well.

As far as I'm concerned, the only MSU I believe in is Maximum Sized Unit (or as close to it while adhering to the sacred number... so 14). Then again, like I said I'm not a competitive player.

It seems Assault Squads in general are frowned upon by the tourney folks, so whatever you do with those they'll moan about how they suck. I see a place for all of the CC weapons, just less so with the Cleavers (but they do have a place).

So in terms of best use for plague marines.

You only really want plasma or blight launchers for special weapons. Plasma is better against t8 and 7, blight launchers for the rest; blight launchers are also cheaper, have better range and don't get as risky against all the -1 out there. The flame weapons aren't bad, but the drones and crawler are the proper vehicle for them. Melta guns are just too short ranged and dont do enough damage compared to previous editions

As for melee squads. They have a place, but its not a khorne beserker place. Its more of a you keep them cheap with knives and give them some flails for chaf control, while also giving you a squad to use the blight bombardment combo that's fairly cheap. The maces and axes are really just not good.

Plague surgeons are really bad, they give a 5% chance to pass the failed disgustingly resilient 

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

ETL prepping continues. I just got an email from Wayland games that says my 3 PBCs, Mortarion and the DG characters are o their way. Perfect timing. I've also made a spreadsheet with the units I own but have yet to build / paint for the ETL

INFANTRY
Plague Marine Squad (5x), 2x Great Plague Cleaver, 2x Dual Swords, Champion with Plasma Pistol and Power Fist 144
Plague Marine Squad (5x), 2x Meltagun, Champion with Plasmagun, Icon of Despair 154
Plague Marine Squad (5x), 2x Plasma, Champion with Plasmagun, Icon of Despair 144
2x Plague Marine Squad (5x), 2x Blight Launcher, Champion with Plasmagun, Icon of Despair 292
Plague Marine Squad (5x), 2x Flail of Corruption, 2x Mace of Contagion+Bubonic Axe, Champion with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol 148
Deathshroud Terminators (3x), Plaguespurt Gauntlet, Manreaper 225
Blightlord Terminators (5x), 2x Combimelta, 3x Combiplasma, 5x Bubonic Axe 298 
2x Cultists (15x), 14 autoguns, Heavy Stubber 128
3x Plague Bearers (10x) , Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos 285 

VEHICLES
3x Myphitic Blight Hauler 420
3x Foetid Bloat-Drone, 2x Plaguespitter, Plague Probe 474
1x Foetid Bloat-Drone, Fleshmower, Plague Probe 136 
3x Helbrute, Twin Lascannon, Missile Launcher 441 
2x Chaos Rhino, combi bolter, havoc launcher 166 
1x Land Raider, 2x Twin Lascannon, Twin Heavy Bolter, Havoc Launcher 367
3x Plagueburst Crawler, Mortar, 2x Entropy Cannon, Rothail Volley Gun 486
1x Contemptor Drednought, 2x Butcher Cannons, Havoc Launcher 217
1x Greater Blight Drone, Bile Maw, Blightreaper Cannon, PLague probe 200
1x Chaos Decimator Siege Engine, 2x Soulburner Petard 210

CHARACTERS 
Mortarion 470
2x Plague Surgeon 130
Foul Blightspawn 77
Lord of Contagion 150
Typhus 175
2x Daemon Prince of Nurgle, Fly, Daemonic Flail (counts-as axe) 360
Malignant Plaguecaster 110
Noxious Blightbringer, Plasma Pistol 70
Biologus Putrifier 74
Tallyman 60
Scabeiathrax the Bloated 610

Which together amounts to 6594 points. Now, I won't actually be able to get all that done in three months, since my hobby time is more limited than in previous years due to a busier job and an SO, but I will get a dent in these. I'll probably prioritize units I'm most likely to field in the summer as well as those with a higher points-to-effort ratio, like Scabby, the Drones, Brutes, Haulers and the PBCs, and avoid those with lower ratios, like the cultists.

By the way, don't mind the Icons of Despair in the Plague Marine units. I don't actually play with those, but I have a rule that every Space Marine squad I build should have a (back)banner/icon. I just like the look visually. And since I'm building them, I might as well put them into the points cost for the ETL. :smile.:

Cheers!

Replies!

@ KrauScientist: Thanks for the lovely comment! Yes, Rose is fabulous. Although she does -nominally- support me in the hobby (Read: throws a blind eye to it.), the cakes were my idea. :biggrin.: In fact, I was a bit under the influence on Thursday and ordered far too much cake! A conplete on is left over, so I put it in the fridge - so if you're in Amsterdam in the coming month, please feel free to come have some BFTBG cake! :wink:

@ Dragonlover: Thanks, buddy!

@ Xin Ceithan: Cheerio!

@ DuskRaider: Yeah, MSU suffers from this edition, but I still think it's viable because of the three plasma per squad thing. The smaller the squads, the more plasma (or special weapons, for that matter) per marine, is my thinking. That being said, I do agree that CC squads should be larger. As you can see from the list above, I plan to make three squads of 5 guys with three plasmagun, as well as 3 squads of five guys with two blight launchers and a plasmagun champ. I do think meltaguns are viable in certain contexts, so I'm building a squad of those as well, again with a plasma champ. So what I'm taking away from your comment is that I should build more guys with Flails of Corruption and more dual plague sword wielding guys- hopefully to put them in a Land Raider or something. I don't know. I love to build armies that have variety and are competitive. I dont think you can go too wrong with the plague marines other than the axe+mace combo and the great cleavers (which Ironically I have build two each of). Other than those, ad depending on your strategy, Plague Marines are always a solid choice, whatever their loadout (as long as the champ has a plasmaun when you want to shoot and a power fist and a plasma pistol when you want to stomp. :wink:)

15 Cultists can only take a single Heavy stubber, just a heads up. 

Cultists (15x), 14 autoguns, Heavy Stubber x2 = 128 means fourteen of the fifteen cultists wield an autogun and one a heavy stubber, which together cost 64 points, and I have two squads of those for 128. :smile.: I understand the confusion though and thank you for the heads up! :tu: