++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Much, much better, buddy! Glad to be of help! :smile.:

Two very small things, though: I think the flesh still isn't quite there -- if anything, it seems ever so slightly too blueish to me? But then, maybe that's just the lighting of the picture. However, it does seem a bit too "cold", if that makes any sense.

I also completely agree with Malchy above: He needs some of those distgusting yellow buboes, and it seems like there are some bumps on both the mutations and the armour that would lend themselves really well to the effect.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot to add that I really like the red fly detail on his gorget :)

Edited by KrautScientist

Oh yeah. Yep yep yep! That's Death Guard right there! And more are on the way with plasma!

I really feel pink would be a neat color for the plasma coils to contrast with their legion colors.

Cheers, everyone!

Eventually, I went with gold trim for the shoulder pads and some other minor modifications to the colour scheme. I tried a softer, warmer tentacle, but found that it looked just too damn comical or christmas-y - so I stayed with the relatively cold scheme of Daemonette Hide, Purple wash, Slaanesh Grey and then Flayed One Flesh for the tips. 

I also had a ton of fun paitning and converting this squad of five marines up - but DAMN do these things have a lot of detail! Also, the drybrushing technique needed for this sscheme is a lot more convoluted than simply airbrushing the shades on, so this project will take A LOT more time and I will definitely not get back to the speed I had with my Imperial Fists. Oh well. Hopefully I can enroll in the Gibraltar Open tournament in what, August/September? 

Anyway,  here's pics!

Group shot!
TQWRf9M.jpg

And here's individual pictures. let's start with the champion:

61FgbXR.jpg

And here's the rest of his squad:

vQuZzXY.jpg

6ReZ0sw.jpg

NYsbCWX.jpg

I suddenly realized I forgot to count - I had painted a backpack to few and a right arm too many. Oh well, gotta make that up in the next plasma squad!
feB3FSA.jpg

I realize this is mostly the standard squad from the DI box with some plasma added, but I just wanted to test out the paint scheme.

What do you think? Let me know!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Maarten: I agree, so I've started adding brown washes over those. What do you think now? About the Land Raider kit you made: I'll make it Death Guard, and do it in combination with a MkIIb kit :biggrin.:

@ KrautScientist: The flesh is cold purpleish. It might be the picture. 

@ sfPanzer: Ah but I love the red spot colour - it makes the miniature 'pop'. :smile.:

@ DuskRaider: Haha of course you're biased! I stole it from you! Thanks for all the inspiration, dude! You really helped me along. I am in your debt!

@ Viridia: Cheers - yeah te black on the bolter/weapon casings was a must to make the scheme work. :thumbsup:

@ Vairocanum: Thank you buddy! What do you think of the first squad?

@ Hushrong: Haha I totally went with the oposite of contrast with the legion colours! How do you like the green?

@ guardian31: Thanks!

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: What mold lines?

@ sickwithaticket: A greater compliment could almost not be given - thanks!

@ Atia: Thank you, Atia!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

@ Maarten: I agree, so I've started adding brown washes over those. What do you think now? About the Land Raider kit you made: I'll make it Death Guard, and do it in combination with a MkIIb kit :biggrin.:

Looks great man! The depth I've come to expect from you.

Can't wait to see that land raider, I think it might be the first nurgly one in the world. 

Alright, you have the armour down pat now. The tweaked recipe works great! I have to say I'd prefer a warmer skin tone, but that's probably a matter of personal preference. I stand by my earlier assessment that you should try to incorporate some of those disgustingly awesome yello buboes on your Plague Marines as well.

The one thing I really don't like about the models is the green plasma, as it seems like a slightly weird choice to me. It's too clean to work as sickly green, and in any case, I think a red/orange effect would work much better in this case (and arguably match the rest of the colour scheme far better).

Those minor gripes notwithstanding, I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with next, buddy! :)

Knockin it out of the park, Auggy! I really like that gold trim, it's a great contrast to the cool white and green and really makes the whole model pop. They really are filled with detail, that's why I think you're crazy saying you want 60+... although I find myself wishing I had more, if only to paint.

I need to get a proper look on a monitor but from my phone they look solid. I do agree with Kraut about some orange pustules but as a lovely contrast but also to tie to the pox walkers. As for the plasma I need to see these guys bigger but the green looks nice and if you have orange pustules it might be to much. Red might work to tie with the already used spot colour.

Thanks, guys!

About the pustules - I agree that they need to feauture on the marines, to tie them in with the poxwalkers. The problem is that the marines, being armoured, don't have a lot of surfaces of exposed skin on which to feature the pustules. Plus, they should look distinct, as they are vastly different units. The Zandri Dust as a base for both the cloth and the armour in combination with the fact that both units are based in the same way, should also help t tie them up. 

In any case, I've been working on the next set of Plague Marines, again featuring three plasma guns. I'm quite pleased with the way I've managed to build unique marines from mostly the standard DI Plague Marines (which have been undercoated by the previous owner and stripped by me, hence the partial undercoat in most bits), plus some bits from the customiable PM set and some MkIII bits. Take a look:

ef7HFiZ.jpg

N4hiE0U.jpg

WZfLwcW.jpg

KvkQ92Gg.jpg

Bl5y7og.jpg

fbh2q6N.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

Cheers! :biggrin.:

Replies!

@ KrauScientist: Thanks! I agree about the pustules, but as I've said in this post: it's kinda hard to find decent exposed skin to put them on - or do you think pustules could grow on armour and wouldn't look out of place? About the plasma colour: no. Plasma is either green, blue or purple. Red plasma looks non-SciFi-y and dumb. But that is just my opinion. :wink:

@ DuskRaider: Haha yeah I gues that is kinda crazy, but then again my production always blasts when I'm inspired - plus when I've done a couple, I always figure out a very efficient way to paint them,. so I don't think I will have too much trouble. 

@ Mechanist: I agree - if there will be pustules, those in addition to the red fly iconography will give enough ties to the poxwalkers. Red plasma would overwhelm the miniature. Plus, red plasma doesn't exist in my universe.

@ ChazSexington: I'm always on your side in the ETL, buddy! As long as your side is Chaos! :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

@ KrauScientist: Thanks! I agree about the pustules, but as I've said in this post: it's kinda hard to find decent exposed skin to put them on - or do you think pustules could grow on armour and wouldn't look out of place? About the plasma colour: no. Plasma is either green, blue or purple. Red plasma looks non-SciFi-y and dumb. But that is just my opinion. :wink:

Regarding the pustules, yes, I totally think they could appear on the armour itself -- in fact, it seems to me as though some of the armour detail had been designed with that idea in mind. There's also precedence for this on the classic Dave Andrews models. I think, ultimately, it comes down to whether you see them as a ski condition or as some kind of daemoic fungus that can infect every surface. Although, given the very nature of the Plague Marines, it's hard to tell where the armour begins anyway (and whether or not it is completely anorganic any longer at this point).

As for the plasma, we all have our preferences, and if you think red plasma looks stupid, then that's that. I was rather talking about an effect like hot radiator coils, though, interpreting that part of the weapon as coils that heat up. And I think it would look great in reddish orange. More importantly, though, I stand by my assessment that the green doesn't really work well as is: If you want to keep it, you should try to make it glowier and murkier (like gaseous flames, St. Elmo's Fire, that sort of stuff) or switch to blue. Just my two cents ;)

That's a great point about the pustules being part of some daemonic fungus - It's inspired me to go back to the above WIP builds and start adding them! Thanks, Krauty!

Don't think I think that plasma is 'stupid' - I just that I've never managed to make plasma glow look good in a red hue, which has made the goblins in my head go on strike and yell out in protest whenever I try to think of doing plasma coils in red. My calling red plasma 'dumb' is more because I have no rational reason for not using it, as I've seen people do it with marvelous effect. Inn any case, I have thought of doing the plasma in purple to complement the colour of the tenctacles, so I might give that a try. Blue is out, as that would add another colour (next to bone, red, green, gold, and purple) and I fear that it might overpower the miniatures and make them look like a christmas tree. ;tu: 

Purple sounds like a great idea, it'd certainly stand out for the coils. On a little bit of a tangent, I've been looking through your old Khorne Berzerkers work, and it has inspired me to try my own. In your opinion, is it worth trying to replace the leather boots with the shins from the actual Khorne Berzerkers, or is it too difficult to make work?

What about giving the plasma coils a wash of lamenter yellow or something similar like sepia to get a more "sickly" green look rather than the clean bright green?

Man, I know I can be a bastard like that, but to be honest, I think purple would be even worse ;)

If it has to be green, I agree with Dantay VI above: Make it a sickly, murky green.

Edited by KrautScientist

The Death Guard are looking good! The colors came out great but for some weird reason my eyes are drawn to the tentacles. *and for some reason that doesn't seem dirty* That is an awesome purple you have there that goes well with the general paint scheme.

Also, I like the green glow of the plasma. It works nice and I am happy you didn't go OSL happy with that too.

The next batch of maries are looking good too! I like the green stuff tentacle on the DG to match his kin but I am wondering if you will chaos up the mkIII pads? They could use Nurgles touch :smile.: