++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Seems like you're knocking out those guys by the boatload once again, buddy: Your output is nothing short of staggering. You're like a one-man painting sweatshop ;)

Seeing the completed squads proves beyond any doubt that your armour recipe is rock solid now! Love the addition of the yellow pustules! I am still not in love with the plasma effect (and stand by my earlier opinion that radiator coil orange would work better), but I acknowledge that it's a matter of personal preference.

The one part where I think you need to rethink your approach is with the plague knives: I think the two big ways to go with these is to either have them look really rusted through or really slimy/icky/mutated, but yours seem to be "just kind of there", if you know what I mean: I think they are a bit too close to standard silver blades, which seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Beyond any such minor gripes, however, the army seems to be coming together really brilliantly! Keep it up!

As for your work on the Plaguecaster, you know I personally went even further with my own version of the model, mostly because I couldn't stand the staff. Also, if you are thinking about changing the right arm, be advised that it looks much better when carefully sawn off and reattached at a lower angle (although that means you won't really get to use that wave of puke emanating from the hand, for fairly obvious reasons). I like the addition of the Mk. III helmet, although I'd agree with hushrong that the helmet needs to be distressed via some tentacles, cracks, dangling cabling or what have you.

Speaking of hushrong, that is indeed an amazingly generous gesture! Huzzah for hushrong! :)

HI guys, I had a great hobby day yesterday with my regular gang of four 30+y/o guys, and a new Irish guy that I met at my local GW shop two weeks ago. We started chatting and he told me he got into airbrushing recently, so I asked if he wanted some pointers and we hit it off on a hobby tangent. He's a super nice guy so I asked his phone number so I could invite him when hobby things came about. So when I and my buddy Ruben agreed to meet on Friday (my off day (I work 4x9 hours instead of 5x8, so Friday is always an off-day (although I do work from home for a couple of hours on most Fridays - but anyway)) to get some hobby time together, I remembered the nice conversation with Graham, so I invited him over, said so in our whatsapp group, and lo an behold Friday saw us building stuff in the afternoon and gaming at night. Great times!

I managed to build no less than 18 (EIGHTEEN) Plague Marines. I am utterly thrilled about them and want to make more, MOAR! But as my general rule of thumb is to build, then paint what I have built, and only then build more, I have some painting to do. 

You won't notice, as I will enforce my rule of thumb here and only post them five at a time. :biggrin.:

So here goes the first squad - with two blight launchers and a plasma champ. 

KNEVqme.jpg

IMHuU2v.jpg

And here's shots of the individual guys:

The first Blight Hauler. The first Plague Marine that I built using the Plague Backpacks from Maxmini miniatures.
OtwJvXv.jpg

Next up is a stock guy from the Easy-to-Build Plague Marine box, only with a maxmini Plague Helmet (I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!)

6AiCESd.jpg

Next is the Plague Champion, who has a sneaky plasma gun on his backpack, and is wielding the bell from the Noxious Blightbringer from the DI kit. 

XY7hOsq.jpg

Of course, the squad needs an icon bearer. Why you ask? Because all squads need icons or standards. Not that I ever pay the points for them, but because rool of cool.

KtExsAn.jpg

And lastly, the second blight launcher. This guy uses the blight launcher from the Easy-to-Build kit, which I botched the drilling out of the barrel. It broke, but then I realized: who cares? :smile.: It's Nurgle - everything is going to crap! He also has a backpack and helmet from Maxmini miniatures.

NsFaIkq.jpg

I hope you like them! They need some micro beads and PVA as additional buboes, but then they're ready for primer!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ BubblesMcGub: Cheers, buddy! I hope you have a great time converting that Poxwalker champion into a creepy medic for your INQ28 gang. (also may I ask that if you want to adress a single picture, just describe it or to quote it but put it in hidden brackets? No need to show the same pic twice, right? Hidden brackets can be achieved by writing [hidden*] before and [/hidden*] after the picture, but without the *. Thanks!) :thumbsup:

@ Mechanist: Thanks! Although the mouth-belly guy is not the champion - the champion is the guy with the plasma gun and the smoke stacks on his backpack :biggrin.:

@ Greenz: Thanks for the vote of confidence in non-red plasma coils :wink: And I totally agree with you re: the forum and how awesome this place is. 

@ Sagentus: Yes! Deathshroud Bodyguard I will start after ten more plague marines. I swear!

@ DuskRaider: Well, I might send you something anyway. PM me your address. :smile.:

@ guardian31: Thanks, buddy!

@ SkimaskMohawk: Cheers! Which spot colour do you mean? The red buboes, the green pads, or the purple tentacles? :smile.:

@ KrautScientist: Oi! Accusing me of all people of running a sweatshop  -even though in your scenario I would be exploiting myself - is a big nono! Solidarity forever!! :wink: Thaks for the vote of confidence on the armour recipe (it must be said it's largely DuskRaider's) and the pustules. I guess the plasma effect is a matter of taste, then, as I love the yellow glow on the green coil  -it looks so sickly now! Thanks for the continued feedback, nonetheless - I do always appreciate and the time and effort you put into it, and always consider it! on that note, I do hear you on the plague knives, but am not sure how to make them look more plague-y. I like the rust effects as the base, but am afraid the Nurgle's Rot would look a bit weird and clash with the rest of the model. I shall give it a go, though. Regarding the plaguecaster - yeah, that staff is hideous. I also think the right arm is proportioned weirdly, because I exchanged the hand and it look so short! I also did some tentacles on the faceplate, which I'll make a picture tomorrow.

While smugly gloating over my 105 recently finished poxwalkers, my three boxes of  Neophyte Hybrids that I was going to convert to cultists arrived today!! Sadly today is also the day that the Tide of Traitors stratagem was deeply nerfed, making this endeavour merely a fluffy one, instead of also something that increases my army's effectiveness. 

Thanks, GW. Thanks.

Sad times.

Sad times indeed.

sgmtiJj.jpg

Cheers.

Reply:

@ Pearson73: thanks, mate! Yeah those maxmini parts are great! And thanks re: the posing of the champion. I figured since his buddies use blightlaunchers, there's no reason why he shouldn't carry a plasma gun.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Well, booo! I was looking forward to trying that tide of traitors one day.

However, I think seeing your take on some Nurgle cultists will be sweet! Plus, can't you put them in front of the Poxwalkers to feed their ranks?

@ BubblesMcGub: Nah, thanks. I'll make them into cultists nonetheless  -I've invested in them (also bought a crap load of extra zombie heads to replace the genestealer ones. Might as well go ahead and paint them. :smile.:

@ hushrong: Yeah, me too! I actually wanted to use that tactic, but it's so much more effective in combination with multiple Tide Of Traitors...

@ DuskRaider: They didn't? Dude, Death Guard have been hit hard.  Tide of Traitors was nerfed to only one per game. That affects Death Guard harder than anything - an entire main Death Guard tactic in ruins! No more poxwalker spam... :sad.:

I consoled myself by starting painting the third five-man Plague Marine squad. :thumbsup:

qrpvTaD.jpg

Cheers! :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

That doesn't effect Poxwalker spam. Never really looked at Tide of Traitors as anything essential to Death Guard. Poxwalkers are Troops, they still can take 20 per unit with no cap on max numbers when killing enemies either. The Dead Walk Again is still valid, you can transform dead Cultists into Walkers... honestly, Death Guard made out fine.

That doesn't effect Poxwalker spam. Never really looked at Tide of Traitors as anything essential to Death Guard. Poxwalkers are Troops, they still can take 20 per unit with no cap on max numbers when killing enemies either. The Dead Walk Again is still valid, you can transform dead Cultists into Walkers... honestly, Death Guard made out fine.

You know that you have to pay reinforcement points for poxwalkers raised above their unit's starting strength, now, right? 

Q: Can Poxwalkers use the Curse of the Walking Pox ability to increase the unit above its starting strength?

A: Yes.

Q: If the Poxwalkers’ Curse of the Walking Pox ability increases the unit above its starting strength in a matched play game, does this cost reinforcement points?

A: Yes, you must pay reinforcement points for each Poxwalker model that you add to the unit that would increase the unit above its starting strength."

That's a massive hit.

You know that you have to pay reinforcement points for poxwalkers raised above their unit's starting strength, now, right? 

Q: Can Poxwalkers use the Curse of the Walking Pox ability to increase the unit above its starting strength?

A: Yes.

Q: If the Poxwalkers’ Curse of the Walking Pox ability increases the unit above its starting strength in a matched play game, does this cost reinforcement points?

A: Yes, you must pay reinforcement points for each Poxwalker model that you add to the unit that would increase the unit above its starting strength."

That's a massive hit.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted since the News & Rumors thread doesn't link each army. That's absolute garbage, I have no intention of using that with my group. I've only ever spawned a few Poxwalkers in the games I've played so I'm not throwing away precious points.

Still, Tide of Traitors was never really a factor for DG as I've ever seen. 

Yeah, rinsing and recycling whole squads repeatedly would be so much more better. I also need to look up reinforcement points. I haven't played for maybe two months now and that new Faq just came out.

Also excited to see some more paint on your Death Guard!

Cheers, guys! 

Another Plague Marine squad finished - this time with Blight Launchers and a champion with a plasma gun. Take a look:

9KSmm6E.jpg

hU7Ei0j.jpg

b2Qi0fB.jpg

eTsIGlZ.jpg

WjOyRy4.jpg

zNlm6Vw.jpg

5weri1k.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments most welcome - they inspire me to t(h)read on... :tu:

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Sagentus: Thanks you! I've since recovered from the slap - for some reason, having the option to sell makes it less likely I'll ever have sorry for painting a miniature. 

@ DuskRaider: Haha do not underestimate the power of the pox farm. But alas, it is no longer a thing :D

@ The Putrid One: Yeah those EZ miniatures are a great source of conversion material! Thanks for commenting :)

@ hushrong: Reinforcement points are just points you don't spend before, but during the game :) What do you think of the latest guys?

@ Vairocanum: Yeah me too! New models are coming!