Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Given proper tags, you could probably get away with posting it here, but yeah, it could cause trouble with competitions. (Don't worry about clicking that link btw, it is fine on the first few posts, just be wary of scrolling down.)

EDIT: So it looks like the completed model was in fact purged. Still, I guess that shows how far BnC will let you go!

Edited by Teetengee

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the first of my raptors. The rest will follow but may take time. I focused on this one in order to get it done in time for the end of Daemon Forge XII.

med_gallery_63428_9407_47194.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_152599.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_251809.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_62697.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_38399.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_27887.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_197947.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_147608.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_71981.jpg

Though I keep most of my Psychopomps clean, I did dirty up the bottoms of his boots.

I may yet add more detail to the Mk6 shoulder pad (and perhaps another coat of Lamian to reduce the gloss).

I'm very glad with how the fire came out. :)

Thanks.

Yes, it was simply glue.

I lathered a paper clip (bent into the shape I wanted) in superglue and dipped it in a bag of (quite fine, I worried perhaps too fine) clump foliage. The original photo of this mini a page back or so shows it after one or two dippings. I think I did two or three dippings before I was happy with the 'stalk', then added more and more superglue to the 'rear' of the fire so it would seem to be leaving a bit of a trail.

Afterwards I sprayed it all white a couple of times. Despite this I had to then paint on thinned white as the spray would not get into the deep crevices. After that it was a Lamenters Yellow glaze then drybrushing yellows, oranges, light red, dark red, soft black and finally black. Probably could have cut out some of those steps :)

I think I'll see if I can add a bit of fire to the other flamer-wielder...

I was asked about the pink I use for my Psychopomps' armour so I've been (admittedly slowly) putting together some step by step photos. I hope the different tones actually show up!

1. Three coats of Fulgrim pink over a white undercoat.

med_gallery_63428_9407_76954.jpg

2. Edge highlight of 50/50 Fulgrim Pink/White. The first photo doesn't show it well but it's most noticeable on the shoulder pad of the lightning claw arm.

med_gallery_63428_9407_76954.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_716666.jpg

3. A final highlight of about 25/75 Fulgrim/White on the very edges.

med_gallery_63428_9407_285972.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_100401.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_528896.jpg

4. Glaze all with 50/50 Carroburg Crimson/Lamian Medium.

med_gallery_63428_9407_786399.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_130403.jpg

I'll post more updates once the green is done, which will contrast with the pink and should make it stand out more.

Oh, does anyone have any suggestions for what colour I should do lightning claws? I've done force weapons red so far in this army but haven't done any power weapons. Blue is the obvious colour but doesn't particularly excite me...

And some WIP daemonette spiders fiends...

med_gallery_63428_9407_125790.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_102277.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_220883.jpg

The rightmost of the final three there is less-than-happy as one of her left legs has been shot off. There'll be an ichor spray from the stump.

That's six of the ten. All are made, and so far about half have had their GS work done.

I have an idea in mind for their colour scheme - I'm thinking of going light, to contrast them with my daemonettes which are very dark - but again if anyone has any specific ideas, I'm listening :)

Those Spider-fiends are looking nice! I don't normally like that approach to making Fiends but you've done them really well!

Regarding colours, how about looking at some real-world spiders for inspiration? For example, here's some pictures of the giant golden orb weaver...

http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2011/11/1/thumb-1320131873786-giant_wood_orb_weaver_wrapping_cricket.jpg

http://www.carfreedc.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/golden-silk-orb.jpg

And a crab spider...

http://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/medium/greeting-card/images-medium-5/crab-spider-hunting-on-orchid-francesco-tomasinelli.jpg

Yes, that all the spiders are belly to the ground is a bit disappointing. I could cut off and reposition (and likely need to rebuild) legs but the prospect of doing perhaps eighty legs...no. Plus I simply don't have time.

The 'leader' (fiends don't have one, but you've got to make one better than the rest, right?) will be belly-off-the-ground. You'll see why soon enough :)

How about some lighter spider colour schemes? I'd like to avoid black....then again I could do them with black spider bodies and sickly pale white-pink (like some kinda grub larvae) Daemonette bitz for contrast...the more I think about that the more I like it actually...

Thanks, Squigsquasher and Teetengee.

Cool fiends, I also think that the bodies are a tad low, however it doesn't detract from them all that much, so for the amount of re-positioning work I'd agree with your decision to leave them as is.

Ooooh cool conversions for the fiends, there, dude! About the colour scheme for them: at first I was like "Crab spider, crab spider!", but then you said 

I could do them with black spider bodies and sickly pale white-pink (like some kinda grub larvae) Daemonette bitz for contrast...the more I think about that the more I like it actually...

and I there was much rejoicing.... 

For me, your work exemplifies exactly what Slaanesh is about: deviance and transgression not only in thought and deed, but body as well; those spawn in particular are fantastic, absolutely fantastic; the kind of aesthetic I wish we'd see more of in GW Slaanesh miniatures.

For example, here's some pictures of the giant golden orb weaver...

http://static.uglyhedgehog.com/upload/2011/11/1/thumb-1320131873786-giant_wood_orb_weaver_wrapping_cricket.jpg

http://www.carfreedc.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/golden-silk-orb.jpg

And a crab spider...

http://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/medium/greeting-card/images-medium-5/crab-spider-hunting-on-orchid-francesco-tomasinelli.jpg

*opens spoiler tab*

200w.gif

Really nice stuff here, I love how you managed to combine the extravagant colours of the old RT-style of Slaanesh with the 'big' patterns of later generations of NM.
I tried it but never got pastel-with-pastel to work myself so cudos!

Edited by totgeboren

Kierdale - Really like the recent updated with the Raptors & Daemons.  Are you planning on entering ETL this year with the Slannesh warband?

First thanks everyone for the compliments. :)

And yes, you have my brush again this ETL. :tu:

The ten fiends -assuming such counts-as is permitted- is 350 points.

I'm not sure I'll be vowing my rhinos, pod or any bikers though as the marine parts of my army take so long to paint. I could probably do the biker Lord. He'd work out at a fair few points.

Perhaps some more Daemonettes (I have about 18 more to do) and the herald who's been on the backburner for too long.

Raptors are coming along and I hope I'll have them done in a week or two.

And I see that GW is rereleasing Ghouls as a box of 20. The round bases will come in handy but I feel GW is telling me "Kierdale, if you want to make a few more spawn you'll have to make a lot more spawn."

Oh dear.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, here's my first ETL V vow:

I Kierdale rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete two units each of five fiends of Slaaneshi from Codex: Daemons of total value 350 points (for all ten models) on or before August 15th, 2016. Success will bring eternal glory to the Psychopomps and our lord the dark prince of pleasure himself Slaanesh and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end

Before image:

med_gallery_63428_9407_261645.jpg

I got them undercoated and got started on the soft flesh tonight :)