Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

30 Power is like 600 Points or such...that's not a lot, especially since vehicle and similar all got more expensive. I'd definitely go with both squads of Noise Marines tho.

For my 500pts list I got 25 Marines on the table and a Lord. Tactical options can be a bit limited though, so a couple of NM squads as sf said sounds like a good core then you can look to adding forces. The NM should provide some fire support so maybe some units to close on the enemy and help distract from the NM? 10 Daemonettes is cheap and choppy, could be a good option to support some advancing elements?

Lords are dangerous in combat, their re-rolls to hit on 1s goes a very long way also so try to make the most of his aura. I imagine the NM will be very happy to have such a buff for example. At low points a Rhino is an idea if you have a unit that wants to assault quickly as at lower points you're all but guaranteed for a turn 2 assault unless your opponent directs some serious effort against it.

Autocannons are solid and nice against multiple wound models, but the NM probably fill the shooty niche at lower point games for you. Maybe your jump lord and Raptors to get stuck in? With smaller games you're not going to get a particularly diverse strategy together, so better to focus on something generally and use what you want to. Rule of Cool is the most powerful rule in 40k after all :wink: Good luck, don't forget to take pictures of the battle! :biggrin.:

Thanks for the suggestions!

A couple of ideas:

2x 5-man, 1 blast master NM = 14

Raptors = 7

Jump pack sorcerer = 7

Fiend = 2

2x 5-man, 1 blast master NM = 14

Raptors = 7

Jump pack lord = 6

Cultists = 3

Both of those are 30 power.

In the former case I'd use the sorcerer with Warp Time to get the raptors in.

What do you think?

Raptors are awesome! The fact that they can shoot, charge fight, move out, shoot charge again is awesome...and a plasma pistol is now really worth it on the champs imho!

Raptors are awesome! The fact that they can shoot, charge fight, move out, shoot charge again is awesome...and a plasma pistol is now really worth it on the champs imho!

I second this. Also your Raptor models are great and deserve to be included in every game. Especially since your Raptors are armed with flamers I think you are right on about targeting them with warp time whether you "deep strike" them or not.

I've played 2 games of 8th so far and my melta/fist Raptors and autocannon Havocs have been my MVPs.

Edited by Magpie Knight

I don't think units can charge after falling back even if they have the Fly keyword, as that just allows shooting as far as I can see?

That's right. They'd need an additional special rule that allows them to charge after falling back that turn.

Unfortunately my NM don't have sonic blasters as they weren't that much better than bolters before. My next NM squads will have them :tu:

I plan to take those two lists with me, trying the sorcerer one primarily and others if I have the chance.

One fun list I thought up:

Foot lord and autocannon havocs = 12 power

3x3 fiends = 18 power

= an Outrider attachment (+1 CP)

Lord stays with the havocs for rerolls while the fiends leg it across the battlefield.

'Runners and Gunners' :D

EDIT: if I remember correctly my raptor champion has a magnetised lightning claw arm lying around somewhere...and I'm sure I can paint up a combi-something for him tonight...plasma perhaps?

Music of the Apocalypse? Music to mine ears!

We ended up having a bit of a tester game, to ease in a couple of old players who haven't rolled dem bones in a few years (me and a SW player), and get another couple of regular GW Takadanobaba players accustomed to 8th. We did 2 vs 2 (Death Guard and Psychopomps versus Tyranids and Space Wolves...Chaos versus Nature(?!) if you will) though it was basically me versus the Wolves of Fenris and the muck marines versus the bugs. We adjusted the Power to fit the players who came and ended up with 39 power each...so I took:

Jump pack sorcerer, plasma pistol and force sword, Smite, Prescience and Warptime.

2x 5 Noise marines, one blast master, the rest with bolters.

1x 5 Havocs with four autocannons.

2x Fiend of Slaanesh.

SW:

Krom Dragongaze

Rune priest with plasma pistol and axe

5 Long fangs: lascannon, missile launcher, heavy bolter, multi melta.

5 wolves.

10 grey hunters in a rhino. Leader with dual claws, one with a plasma gun.

med_gallery_63428_7164_68301.jpg

I didn't get a shot of the tyranids (they were mostly unpainted) but the Death Guard were the shop's (partially painted):

med_gallery_63428_7164_168407.jpg

Deployment

One of the fun bits of playing with new people, in your second language: I missed the `Is everyone finished deploying?` so thankfully my sorcerer and raptors were not on the table, but I didn't get chance to shuffle the rest of my force from where I had simply plonked them on the table. I would have put the fiends on the central terrain to make their way up the battlefield with a bit of cover. Oh well :biggrin.:

med_gallery_63428_7164_981113.jpg

Game start

Herein lies a rough battle report. With five players (two handled the bugs) it was busy with all the chatting too so I couldn't do a proper batrep.

med_gallery_63428_7164_564902.jpg

The enemy had the top of the turn, advanced and proceeded to target the two fiends at the front of my force with their long fangs. The one with the heavy plasma gun duly blew himself up! :biggrin.: The player admitted he got carried away. The remaining hail of fire smeared one of the spider-ladies but not the other. Phew!

That was it from the Wolves.

I advanced the now lone fiend up the table, to either dice some wolves or hold up the rhino which had advanced in my direction.

The sorcerer and raptors dropped down upon pinions of fire, onto the central raised walkways just outside of 9" from the long fangs (the wolves inadvertently served to block me a little). The sorcerer pulled off Warptime - the Runepriest failed to Deny it - and Everything Went As Planned: the raptors jumped down and torched the longfangs before charging them and slaying three. They held. (or I slew two and one fled, I forgot)

med_gallery_63428_7164_744055.jpg

med_gallery_63428_7164_289768.jpg

Oh yeah, my other shooting: the havocs targeted the rhino and took 2 wounds off it. The two noise marines with blast masters then grinned and proceeded to `splode it magnificently. Two or three wolves dead as the rest piled out, singed beards.

The other noise marines shot up a wolf or two. Fur coats later, yay.

med_gallery_63428_7164_155599.jpg

The next turn the grey hunters moved up and took out some of the nearest noise marines, one of whom - thanks to Music of the Apocalypse - killed another wolf before breathing his last!

What else...

Sorcerer later jumped down, making a beeline for Krom (I could have gone for the rune priest for some psyker-on-psyker action but this is a Slaanesh army: gotta have some flair! Go for the Big Kill!). I failed Prescience but succeeded at Smite...only for us to realise the nearest enemy was one of the wolves! Another dead dog.

All but one of the raptors got killed by the remaining long fangs and the rune priest, so I had pulled the survivor (with flamer) back...and torched the wolves only to roll a 6 for the number of hits! That was the remaining three wolves dead.

med_gallery_63428_7164_518270.jpg

The sorcerer made it into combat with Krom, stripping a wound off him on the way in with his plasma pistol. Damn those things are good in 8th!

med_gallery_63428_7164_581906.jpg

med_gallery_63428_7164_135267.jpg

I think the Havoc and Noise choir at the back began pouring all their fire into the Grey hunters about now...

med_gallery_63428_7164_159373.jpg

Oh yes, as they and the wolves had earlier eaten the last fiend (though she managed to stab one of the hunters with her tail rather nicely!)

Oh and the long fang sergeant managed to kill the last raptor with a bolt pistol shot.

The sorcerer managed to put only two wounds on Krom, who then swung his axe...

med_gallery_63428_7164_808476.jpg

The grey hunters managed to kill off the remains of the nearest noise marines, and two of the havocs.

med_gallery_63428_7164_837769.jpg

...and we ran out of time.

That meant the Nature side had had three turns (IIRC) and the Chaos side only two, but never mind.

Here's how things looked at the end:

med_gallery_63428_7164_20303.jpg

I'm confident the remaining havocs and noise marines could have finished off the nearby hunters and probably killed off the fangs (lascannon and sergeant only) and two SW heroes before they could have crossed the board to do anything.

med_gallery_63428_7164_71211.jpg

We totalled up remaining Power (roughly) and the Nature side had more so they won :smile.:

I'm very happy with how the army performed and that I got off the Warptime Raptor strike in the first turn. I'm also totally fine with the sorcerer dying in his duel with Krom! :biggrin.:

We probably made a few mistakes but I found 8th to be a dream to play. Fantastic.

And the Noise Marines did so well I now have two more weapons sets ordered. My current two squads will not get their bolters ripped off them but the next two squads will be all-out sonic. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments. It was great fun. I have no idea when I'll get to game again but hopefully it won't be another five year drought!

With Xenos now allowed on the B&C, though I don't have an Eldar army I did make a thread in the craftworld area for the Eldar models I did for last year's Armies on Parade:

The Assault on Eibhir

And, thoughI do not have their weapons yet, I have started work on another 10 noise marines kit bashing CSM and SW, removing a lot of the space wolf details but keeping the pelts which will of course be painted up as a leopardskin.

I've been working on the next 2x5 noise marines at the office in my lunch hour (I need time at home to work on Doom Rider and have simply been too busy recently).

Some cleanup still needed here and there, and a pack of CSM backpacks to convert into my NM backpacks.

Here is the champion of the masked slap-head squad:

med_gallery_63428_9407_224730.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_34323.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_199862.jpg

This one is bent over as I wanted him leaning forward as if he senses only by hearing now. The drilled out eyes will be bleeding.

med_gallery_63428_9407_20523.jpg

I'll be doing this squad's blast master wielder soon.

And the blast master wielder of the hair squad:

med_gallery_63428_9407_150192.jpg