Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Left: Leadbelcher, Runefang Steel highlight, Nuln oil wash.

Middle: Retributor Gold, Runefang Steel highlight.

Right: mechawhatsit red base, Evil Sunz highlight, Wildrider highlight, Luggnath Orange final highlight (the last of which I put on after taking the first photo but it shows up in the photo of the sword backs). Luggnath also used for the Slaanesh symbol.

med_gallery_63428_9407_232851.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_510094.jpg

The blue-green one is the reverse of the Leadbelcher sword I'm doing this time. Recycle, people!

And after Tamiya Clear...

Left: TC-Red on the lower third and up the middle of the full blade. TC-Orange on the top third and blended into the edges of the full blade while the red was still wet. I'm not sure the TC-Orange shows up much, which may be a good or bad thing.

Middle: TC-Red up the middle, TC-Orange on edges. Here the Orange doesn't show up over the gold. And the red-on-gold doesn't look so different to the red-on-leadbelcher of the left sword in this photo but 'live' both red-on-_____ areas look good with the gold edging ahead in my mind.

Right: TC-red on bottom two thirds. TC-Orange on top two thirds. Not as noticeable as the TC-on-metallics. I'm wondering if, with the sorcerer's daggers, I darkened them with Carroburg Crimson first. Either way, this is not so impressive.

Reverse sides:

Left: TC-Red on bottom third and up the middle of the blade. TC-Orange on edges. No visible difference to the other side with respect to the visibility of the orange vs red.

Middle: TC-Red on bottom two thirds, TC-Orange on top two thirds. Done while the TC-Red was still wet, it appears to have pulled the red up the blade.

med_gallery_63428_9407_692572.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_660491.jpg

The blue-green blade is still my favourite :D, though I didn't intend to do that for this model's weapon (rather, for the jump pack, and I'm very happy with the result).

I'll be scraping those three blades clean tonight then I have a few more ideas to play with. If anyone has any suggestions or schemes they'd like to see, I'm willing to give them a try if I have time.

Paints available:

Leadbelcher

Runefang

Retributor

Auric gold

Balthasar gold

Tamiya clear: blue, green, red, orange, yellow.

Note that TC-Blue mixed with TC-Red does not give a purple but a dark blue. I tried ;)

Now I think about it, I'm going to try a couple more thin TC-Red layers on the 'red sword' before giving that one a scrape off.

I might try a blade going from a red tip to a green base too, what with (model wise, and perhaps fluff wise) the blade originally being Khornate and now Slaanesh, with a couple of green jade Daemonette masks at the hilt.

Tonight's tests...

All had GW Gloss varnish after a few coats of Tamiya Clear. This helped smooth them out.

First up a little green. Looking good so far.

med_gallery_63428_9407_663401.jpg

Add some red...not looking so good.

med_gallery_63428_9407_279139.jpg

These next two I like better. Black blade with gold on edges and part of the blade. Tamiya Clear Red. Reminds me a bit of lacquerware.

med_gallery_63428_9407_375217.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_541906.jpg

A couple of red-on-silvers, one thicker, one thinner.

med_gallery_63428_9407_939303.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_543154.jpg

Meh.

Blue on silver. Now this I like.

med_gallery_63428_9407_728420.jpg

Green on silver. Also like this one.

med_gallery_63428_9407_700425.jpg

And the red one from yesterday with more TC Red. I feel it's improved and has more depth -perhaps more than these photos can show- but it definitely worked better on the sorcerers small daggers than this large sword.

med_gallery_63428_9407_566048.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_545015.jpg

And one more. Leadbelcher blade, runefang runes, TC Green over the top. Not as many layers as the earlier green one.

med_gallery_63428_9407_281797.jpg

I like it but it screams 'Nurgle'.

How about:

One side blue-to-black, with runes/scrollwork from the blue into the black.

And the other side the same but green instead of blue?

I can give this a try tonight.

I rather like the gold-to-black with TC red too so might try one of that with runes too, though perhaps not for the Raptor lord, just as a test.

Okay, here we go:

med_gallery_63428_9407_593281.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_456763.jpg

I'll try to do the runes finer on the actual model, but I think I'm happy with the colours/technique.

Now, that plasma pistol...

That's given me an idea! Try experimenting with mixing the clear green and blue and see if you can get a sort of teal/seafoam colour. That should complement the use of that colour in the rest of the army, and it'll give it a really ghostly, spectral look. Just an idea, anyway.

Oh BTW, I really cannot recommend FW's clear paints enough. They're thin enough to hand brush out of the pot, they have a purple, they're easy to mix if you need different colours, and best of all they're water based! I like Tamiya's clear paints but the thickness and alcohol-based nature does make them a bit of a pain.

Here's your mix of TC-blue and green. Three parts blue to two parts green (plus thinner).

med_gallery_63428_9407_43707.jpg

I like it a lot! :tu: With a layer of gloss varnish on top it should be really nice.

I think I'll go with this colour painted over the Runefang-to-black-with-runes style for the raptor lord's blade.

I have also ordered FW's clear purple on your recommendation. I don't want to use it on the lord's daemon weapon as he already has enough purple on that side of him, but I look forward to seeing what I can do with it on other models. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Quick WIP shots.

I did his plasma pistol coils green in the end and tried a glowing pulse in the middle.

med_gallery_63428_9407_529898.jpg

And you can see his base

med_gallery_63428_9407_239250.jpg

"That'll teach you to hold a sword the silly way around!"

One or two more sessions and he'll be complete. At last.

Dophesia, 'The Peacock', lord of raptors, Psychopomp, former 8th captain of the Stygian Guard

...is complete!

BIG images

I see in those huge pics that I missed painting the skull on the rear of the base. Will do it sometime.

Also, I plan to get decent, big photos of all the army so far, unit by unit, and do a Hall of Honour thread soon.

Now to get some paint on the Land Shrieker...

Quoth my wife: 'I don't want to be anywhere near it, but I can appreciate it!'.

Those wings look awesome. Nice job dude!

Also why do you scrape paint off stuff? Surely you must be able to get some kind of stripping medium in Japan?

Dragonlover

Quoth my wife: 'I don't want to be anywhere near it, but I can appreciate it!'.

Those wings look awesome. Nice job dude!

Also why do you scrape paint off stuff? Surely you must be able to get some kind of stripping medium in Japan?

Dragonlover

Thanks. I'm trying to resist adding Tamiya Clear this-and-that everywhere in the army :D I do intend to go back and redo the couple of lightning claws in the army so far. Blue, I think.

I do have Simple Green for stripping full models but in the case of those swords I wanted to reprint them quickly so just took a blade to them. Now I'm done with them they'll go in the Simple Green vat.

I scraped the wings earlier in the project due to laziness and not wanting to repaint the pink of the jump pack, though I just now found some paint remover you can brush on, so I might pick up and try some of that in the future.

A nice little ditty :) that, though I don't get the TWD reference as I haven't seen it :(

Here is the Chaos assassin I've been slowing working on. An agent of the XX legion who goes by Jinx, a counts-as-Calidus, she makes use of an anathame to cut her way through reality rather than using polymorphine.

med_gallery_63428_9407_175181.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_147189.jpg

Leadbelcher shaded with Nuln and edge highlighted with Runefang so far.

I'll be using Tamiya Clear Blue and Green next.

A diluted blue over all the bodysuit then green over just the upper surfaces, then blue again coming a little into the green...is the plan.

The gun will, like a proper Calidus, have a green gem at the tip, painted sufficiently different from the bodysuit (no Tamiya Clear). The blade will be done greyscale.

Mask will be jade as with the other daemonette masks in the warband.

What's an agent of the Alpha Legion doing running around with the Psychopomps and wearing one of their masks? Such a convoluted tale was one of my Inspirational Friday entries a year or two ago.

But anyway, it'll be fun to paint :)

Layering pink on pink on pink on the Land Shrieker you do not need to see :D