SW1's Scenery Project - Buildings on the way!

SW1

Decided I wanted to try adding raised edging around some areas of the wall and coffee stirrers are about ideal size.

Asked at the local coffee house I'm a regular at if I could buy a bag of the wooded stirrers and ended up with a bag of 1,000 for the price of an additional cup of coffee. :D

Off work tomorrow so going to have a go at knocking a few extra out and working on some details to add to them as well.

Well it looks like a temporary hold is likely on the walls while I work out what I've got for an imperial guard army. Only sorting through 300+ models so it shouldn't take too long. ;)

Hmmm ... It's been decided that the IG need stripping so back onto the scenery!!!

This has nothing to do with the amazing job Altis is doing with his scenery ... Honest!!! ;)

Cheers. Think both of us working on scenery will help push both of us onward.

Though to be honest if you want real quality give Blackadder's stuff a look over. Now that level of workmanship is something I could only dream of getting to.

Lol ... In regard to updates I headed to bed early as I was knackered. But after a nap I might just get up and do a bit more.

Well I managed to cut out most of the foamboard parts for another 5 wall sections.

Got sidetracked by testing an idea I had for the base of a pillar (it will have something slotted into it):

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps86ebfccf.jpg

Then had a go at adding a little extra detail to the wall section:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps91afdac0.jpg

Just as I was packing away I came across a little pack of crystal bits I'd planned on testing out as rivets:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4a4198a6.jpg

The glue backing was rubbish and just managed to get them on my fingers. So additional glue was required and I realised I could have got a similar effect with little drops of PVA. Looking forward to getting this finished.

Woke up this morning with an idea for locking the wall sections together. Not sure if it'll work or not.

Just need a few finished pieces to test it out.

Also I have an idea for fighting over multiple levels. It involves having a few 4'x4' boards along side eachother with shared points and access to a balcony on one of the upper floors that'll look out over a bigger room in the lower floor.

Other rib has now been riveted and I've started detailing up the wall part on both sides. Previously I'd just started working on the one side of it.

It seems certain parts would lend themselves better to being cast than others. If I could find something I could easily build a master for the ribs out of I would definitely cast that up as a whole rather than just doing the plates on either side. Would be so much quicker and less faffing around.

Another part begging to be cast up is the lower detailing on the slope. Though I might just cast up a textured blank to fit behind the grid stuff as I imagine getting a bubble free mould might be tricky with the grid stuff stuck to a textured sheet.

I've also decided I'm going to work on some 100mm x 100mm textured sheets for the flooring. I'll also be able to mount them on the pillars for a raised section/walk ways I am planning on doing.

Lots of little things now to do which will take a while to do but should make building a boards worth of scenery much easier. ;)

Managed to cut some rectangles out of 2mm thick plasticard square (anything up to 1mm seems pretty easy but over this I always have trouble keeping things square) so will make some sheets I can stick on the bare walls.

First one I'll do a pretty simple design which I can add bits to after casting it up. So a rim with rivets in each corner and maybe an eagle or something in the top centre. Nice and plain so it won't look weird repeated a lot.

I'm open to suggestions for the other sheets.

I can see me sending you plenty of money in the future!

I love the wall sections, any chance of a pic with a model in it for scale? (Doesn't HAVE to be Kranon)

I like the idea of fighting over multiple sections, have you got Space Hulk? They have some missions like that in there. My thought was a big cathedral or administratum building with sections you can enter that leads to a ZM board section.

Here's some scale pics:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdda4b894.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/SW1-SWC/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4c944642.jpg

This is a great example of how simple scavenged bits and pieces combined with well thought out consideration and careful execution is can produce amazing results. Something from virtually nothing; awesome! I'm looking forward to watching this project grow and evolve. Thanks for taking the time to document the progression.

Cheers for the comments. I'm enjoying the creative output this is giving me and sharing the process makes it more fun.

Not sure I'm going to be able to make all of it cast up. There would need to be some frame making in a suitable material like foamboard.

Spent all night tidying the old hobby room to find a missing box. The box has finally turned up and I have lots of bits to delve into now. :D

Need to get the place sorted so I don't end up waisting hours and hours tryin to find stuff again.

Trying to work out the best way of fabricating the ribs so they're spot on profile either way. So other than booking some time with a laser cutter anyone have any ideas?

It looks like I won't be the first person to have a SW1 gaming table. My brother has got wind of my project and has decided he wants a board doing.

So through the power of beer I've ended up agreeing to doing his first. I was planning on doing my own 4' x 4' board but I now find myself building a full 8' x 4' board including the table!

Ordered a bunch of 3mm thick 50mm squares to make some tile masters for these boards.

When they arrive I'll check they're exactly the right dimensions and if they are call the company up to see if they could cut some blanks for me to make masters for the ribs. :D

Ok ... Thoughts on casting these tiles up ... One square foot is approx 300mm by 300mm which will take 36 tiles. My board was going to be 4' x4' so taking 576 tiles so my brothers table will take 1152 tiles.

Hmmm ... I think there will be some changes to the idea behind the tiles. Might end up making several individual tiles and then casting them up in strips or bigger sheets. As long as they look right when on the board.

I've just realised a chunk of the board can be covered with my recessed pipe work under that matting I've been using on other stuff. All is well again in the house of SW1.

Archived