E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

Update Time. Contrast paints are done. Finished off with Militarum Green for the Berets two coats, Flesh tearers red on the lasguns and black legion for the boots and belt. For me this has taken next to no time at all two 1hr sessions so far. 

large.IMG_20220927_133443.jpg.79ca15bcd270328968a802dd71f17c61.jpglarge.IMG_20220927_133423.jpg.5015f80dbd72f331075f8cef4479c779.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks @Jud Cottrell.

Seraphon were made for contrast or similar you will be able to knock out some great looks with those models. For base coat it depends on the look you want, "cool" looking grey seer, "warm" wraithbone, vibrant "white scar".

I'm not a heavy user of contrast but I've dabbled with them on the 40K line. I've used them more extensively on Blood Bowl models (but obs cant show them here).

This tyrranofex used grey seer as the base and contrast on all the colours bar the green spikes and teeth.

Spoiler

gallery_72518_17087_55784.jpg

From now on if im just using contrast I prefer to put on basecoat down then add a zenithal (or drybrush) a lighter colour on top. It gives a great effect (see tabletop minions on you tube great vid on this)

These Mordians were black undercoat and white dry brush. In all honesty not a great effect. Needed two coats of red.

Spoiler

gallery_72518_9307_251938.jpg

This DW marine in primed in grey (Halfords Grey Primer, close(ish) to dawnstone) then applied a zenithal of grey seer. The Black is Army Painter Speedpaint grim black, the blue on the coil is also an Army Painter speed paint Magic blue. Flesh is GW G'man flesh., orange is GW Gryph hound orange.

Spoiler

large.IMG_20220706_090829.jpg.db45cdc526dbcab433bb441d84afe17f.jpg

For serpahon, I would deffo go with a base then a zenithal. The choice of both really depends on the colours you are going to use. Also not all contrast paints are really contrast paints some are more like washes, and some are closer to base paints and don't give as much "depth".

Edit: Awful Spelling

Edited by our_baz

Thanks both. It’s a minor kitbash with the heads rifles and sights. Just wanted something a little different for my vet squads, hopefully there still a thing come the new codex. Not even sure Anvil still makes those rifles and sights it was so long ago I picked them up.

All done now after a cheeky dry brush and base.

Spoiler

large.IMG_20221007_000022.jpg.9ee8e938119b5b2a02a0cf4893a514d6.jpglarge.IMG_20221007_000009.jpg.89c5042d362b9f9432ab607efb1763ce.jpglarge.IMG_20221006_235949.jpg.27121313da17a2a9885bfe46c9da4bb0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @Slave to Darkness, I do also have another squad or two (I can't remember the specifics) of Mordians and a  Mordian HWT to paint in this scheme too. to go with the others that I have already completed.

5 more for the mill here, although I do find it rather ironic that by the time I've got these Vets painted the squad will be invalid in the new codex, oh well!

large.IMG_20221026_094812.jpg.525010dcc55d7b1c5de7cbab33797d0b.jpg

6 hours ago, our_baz said:

although I do find it rather ironic that by the time I've got these Vets painted the squad will be invalid in the new codex, oh well!

My whole 502nd is Vets and Special weapon squads backed up by a lascannon hvy weapon squad, whole army needs bloody changing now, nothings legal. 

• 1 month later...

So, I'm now returning to painting armour. It's been ~4-5 years i think since I last painted an IG tank. To be honest I'd kinda forgotten how I achieved it. After a looking at my last completed LRBT I've figure it out. The key was big(ish) areas to keep the colour permutations to a minimum.

Previous

Spoiler

gallery_72518_9307_434043.jpg

Urban Dazzle is back on the menu, I do enjoy difficult paint schemes for a horde army! I haven't got an airbrush or painters tape, so I've broke out a HB pencil and a ruler and made merry with line drawing. I used an Army Painter (Regiment) Brush for the bulk and a Rosemary and Co (Red Dot Size 1) for the lining in (As a side note these two are quickly coming my fav brushes esp the Rosemary and Co).

The first side is done, and now moving onto the Hull. Thanks for looking

Spoiler

large.IMG_20221128_234050.jpg.35bf3db611fcefcd0f8991bcb5f99ca2.jpglarge.IMG_20221128_234121.jpg.d65e81995b9bc8d0518406cd13278475.jpg

Scheme looks great baz! Can't wait to see more 

When I did similar for my Raven Guard I found 3rd part wide flat brushes and average masking tape to really help. 

You don't want the good masking tape it pulls up the paint. The average stuff keeps the paint separate but doesn't hold tight enough to ruin your precious work :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Solution

So question for the barracks. 

I picked up box of Krieg at the weekend, with a plan to convert them (new heads) and have them as part of my AM army. Nothing drastic there.

Looking at the AM fraction release yesterday, reading between the lines the classic "infantry squad" (if an index unit) will be allowed to have one SW /10 models as the the Cadian Shock troops can take 2 SW / 10 models. Would the fraters agree with that hypothesis.

Second question and this relates to how I will build the Kreig models. Cadian Shock troops were added to the 9th Codex as a new INF choice. Do you have to use the new Cadian Shock Troops models in order to run "Shock Troops". Or could any units modelled differently from the standard INF squad with 2 SW be ran (proxied) as "Cadian Shock Troops"?

Yes to your first question:yes:

There's never a defining answer for proxies, I never had a problem as long as they are clear and explained, but events on the other hand, who knows:unsure:

I never quote the rule of cool either because, you could end up up putting a load of effort and love into a proxy/conversion, just to be told no by an event. 

I always generally convert stuff, but never alter proportions or height/base or anything out of the ordinary, and generally 99.9% of times its all fine:thumbsup:

I cant see any problem with using x as y guardsmen.   

For me with proxies it's a matter of consistency

If you want non new cadian models to be shock troopers seems fine to me. However, don't go also use those same models as a different entry as well. 

Tbh I think it's absurd that different kits of infantry equal different unit entires. That's just me... 

@duz_ i see were you are coming from. The main thing that is/was confusing me is that the current INF offering from GW is currently kreig, catachan and shock troops. The claasic INF squad isn't an option from GW.

So to me does that mean the shock troop kit is it be used as both classic infantry squad and shock troop squads?

Exactly...confused. 

Or tin foil hat time, if GW don't sell a AM infantry squad set will it be an option come 10th. 

Anyway back to my question, the proxy will be obvious those boys in red with the bear skins they are shock troops.