E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the positive comments.

True I do need more tanks. Still got a platoon worth of iron guard still to paint tho. Resisting buying anything new until some of the paint queue is cleared a touch.

• 2 months later...

First update in quite some time. Played my first game tonight in 20 years. IG vs marines @ 1250pts. Shared duties on the guard with a mate from work, only used ~200pts of my models as "my mate ran out of bodies and tanks to use". Also sorry no pics I just plain forgot.

List looked approx like:

Company Commander

primaris Psyker

Platoon commander x2

Commissar

Bullgryns x3 (slab shield and guantlet) (not my choice btw)

Melts vets

Plasma vets

Plas command squad

Auto cannon command squad

Scions

Infantry x3

Sentinel x 2 (auto cannon, missile launcher)

Vannila LRBT

Chimera x2

Taurox

SM list

Primaris Cpt

lieutenant

Primaris tac squad thingy

primaris plasma squad thingy

Primaris assault guys

Tac squad 5man

Dev squad

Razorback

land speeder

Sniper scout

Basically had the marines crippled at turn three (only 2 dev squadremained, characters and two scouts left). Some musing on our units, the bullgryns in the slab shield gauntlet load out really blow. Might be useful against hordes, against marines just did nothing. Taking the psyker was an inspired choice as the marines had no counter in the psykic phase. He nerfed half of the primaris assault squad 1st turn, couple of scouts 2nd and three primaris tac marine in the third. Not bad for a 40pt choice. I'll always bring at least one psyker, esp if opposition doesn't. Orders worked well, synced well with strengths of unit taking orders.

Primaris marines hit really hard, but drown under amount of dice the guard can bring. Oh sniper scouts w/camo cloaks are a royal pain to shift.

Overall really enjoyed the mechanic of 8th. First turns took ages, but we were all learning and questioning the rules/mechanic as we were going. Subsequent turns rattled along. Hopefully play again soon, this time with my red jackets.

Yay! Go Baz, welcome back! (so to say) :tu:
I expect to see you pumping out more Mordians now! :D

As well as properly completed and filed Battle reports with Auspex reports and Servitor images... :RTBBB:

Trick for Scouts, Wyvrens + Basilisk. Weight of fire bring them down quick! ;)

Just don't place your Commissar right in the open on top of some rubble so he's in the perfect spot to be sniped out... :blush.:

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first game with my Life Guards at the weekend as at my FLGS as part Fate of Konor campaign. Game was at 50 PL. My opponent was using Ad Mech, so we rolled off to see who would be playing as the Imperium. After three rolls I won and decided to be the defender (Imperium). Victory conditions were straight forward, Slay the Warlord 1VP, for each unit I completely destroyed 1VP, opponent got 1VP for each unit in my deployment zone.

My List

HQ:
Company Commander (Pw Sword)
Primaris

Troops:
3x Inf Sqaud (Flamer, Vox, Missile Launcher)
Scions (2x Plasma, Pw Sword Bolt Pistol)

Elites:
Bullgryns (2x Mace/brute shield, Slab/Grenadier Guantlet)
2x Commissar
Platoon Commander (Shotgun)

Heavy:

LRBT (3x H Bolter)
Basilisk
Heavy Weapon Tea (3x Lascannon

Ad Mech

Ad Mech

HQ
Cawl

Troops
Skitarii Rangers (x2)
Kataphron Destroyers

Elites:
Skitarii Infiltrators

Heavy:
Dunecrawler (Icarus Array)
Dunecrawler (Eradication Beamer).

Deployment

gallery_72518_9307_743775.jpg

T1

I failed to seize the initiative and the Ad Mech went first. The Dunecrawlers and Cawl moved up my left flank and the Destroyers on my right. The first Dunecrawler shot up my H Weapon Team killing 2 of them. The second Dunecrawler opened up on the Inf Squad holding the ridge and blasted six out of existence (on reflection it should have been less as didn’t know the Icarus Array has a -1 to hit non flying targets neither did my opponent tbh. Lesson learned know your enemy!) The Rangers further whittled the Inf squad down to 2 remaining grunts. They failed their morale but the Commy shot one to “inspire” the last man!. The Inf squad on the right took 4 casualties from the efforts of the second Ranger squad and the nearby destroyers. So my turn! The Lascannon team tried to avenger his fallen comrades took 5 wounds of one Dunecrawler, a Krak Missile from the rear Inf squad took another 3 wounds off leaving it crippled with 3 wounds remaining. The Basilisk lined up the second Dunecrawler, six shots , six hits, five wounds and a big hole in the ground where the Duneecrawler used to be. On the right flank the LRBT took out a Single destroyer.

End of T1

gallery_72518_9307_239898.jpg

T2

The Ad Mech moved up closer to my guns. The remaining Dunecrawler took a pot shot at the Basilisk and removed a wound. Cawl did nothing (opponent forgot he could restore wounds!). The one Inf squad on the ridge was removed by the Rangers and the destroyer killed another 4 members of the other Inf squad. In return my Lascannon team reduced the remaining Dunewalker to scrap, and the Basilisk removed the final two destroyers. Things were looking good!

End of T2

gallery_72518_9307_494502.jpg

T3

The Ad Mech reinforcements arrived. The infiltrators appeared in my back line, moved (yup yes I forgot you can’t move after you arrive as a reinforcements, remedial training for me!) and assaulted my Company commander and cut him to bits! Cawl advanced but was still out of range, One ranger squad also moved, the combined ranger fire took a couple of wounds off the Bullgryns. In response the LRBT blasted apart two rangers, Cawl took a two Earthshaker shots to the face and was left on 2 wounds, luckily for him the Lascannon team missed him as did a Krak missile from the Inf squad. The Primaris smited two infiltrators back to Mars, shooting from the nearby Inf squad achieved nothing so the Bullgryns charged….and only made two hits, which were saved, then took two more wounds in response. Remedial training for those guys!

End of T3

gallery_72518_9307_1359271.jpg

T4

Not much happened here. Cawl evaporated a commissar. The 2 Rangers squads took 5 wounds off the LRBT (!) and the Bullgryns stunk the place up even more with their woeful performance in CC and two died. In my turn Cawl got smited back to 2 wounds remaining, but then managed to dodge all the heavy artillery fired his way and avoided any further pain. The LRBT shot one Ranger squad off the board and the Scions finally arrived and reduced the second ranger squad to the ranger alpha after sustained plasma and las-fire at point blank range. The remaining Bullgryn picked his nose in CC and only caused one hit which failed to wound!

End of T4

gallery_72518_9307_671220.jpg

At this point my opponent called it, I was winning 4 VP to 3 VP and he couldn’t win even if we continued for 2 more turns.

A was good to finally get my Life guards out on the table. Still got a fair bit to learn on game mechanics, made errors on wound allocation and targeting during shooting. In my defence on my second full game of 8th and first with IG. Some Musings

Basilisks are pretty lethal, the amount of pain a 100 pt unit dishes out is crazy.

Don’t abhor the Psyker having complete control of one phase was pretty handy, I should of taken more.

Heavy Weap team was a good distraction, made the Ad Mech focused fire on them rather than my tanks.

We can drown elite low model count armies in dice, it is rather amusing.

Understand your enemy, I had no idea half of what the Ad- Mech were using and I missed some obvious inadvertent rules lapse from my opponent.

75 Pl in 2 weeks hopefully Ill be able to make that.

Any thought and comments are welcome. Thanks for reading our_baz.

Nice work Baz! Glory to the Emperor!

Sad to hear your Bullgryns did nothing! Admittedly mine started doing better after a good coat of paint. :D

Dont forget they get +1A on the charge with a priest they always get +1A too ;)

Glad to see youre back in the thick of the fight and enjoying it :) :tu:

Looking forward to more batreps.

Sad to hear your Bullgryns did nothing! Admittedly mine started doing better after a good coat of paint. :biggrin.:

Dont forget they get +1A on the charge with a priest they always get +1A too :wink:

@Duz that was one of the rules I managed to remember! I just managed to roll a barrage of 1's and 2's. Kind of wish I hadn't assembled and painted them during 7th ed rules, as the Mortar and Slabshield is really poor. Hopefully I kept any left over Bullgryn mace's so I can replace a mortar with. If I remember correctly the weapons attach at the Bullgryn's wrist?

• 3 weeks later...

Had another game of 8th tonight 1000 pts vs. Orks. Played Only War Mission. TBH wasn't particularly looking forward to facing orks, decided to pick a list around some of my favourite units, namely my Bullgryns, Ogryns and Scions.

Life Guards

HQ

Commander pw sword

Commander Shotgun pw sword

Troops

3x Inf Squad (Vox, flamer, Missile)

9x Scions (Plasma x2)

Elite

Ogryn (x4)

Bullgryn (2x slab and grenedier, 2x brute shield mace)

2x Commisar (bolt pistol, pw sword)

Priest (chainsword)

Special Weap team (3x Flamer)

Heavy

Basilisk

Heavy Weap Team (3x Lascannon)

Orks

HQ

Warboss

Mek

Troops

2x Boyz (x20 boyz)

Boyz (x20)

Elite

Runtherd and grots

Heavy

Lootas (x5)

Grot Cannon (x2)

Transport

Trucks x2

Flier

Dakka Jet

Set Up:

The Orks set up with the trucks with boyz on the flanks and the and a big group of 20 in the centre with the warboss and mek. The runtherd and gort cannon held two objectives. I set up in cover as best I could or in a position to grab cover and objectives. I kept some of heavier hitting units off the front line.

gallery_72518_9307_610463.jpg

Turn One:

As I had a lower power level I went first. I moved my Inf squad in the centre up to take the objective in the copse of trees. My Bullgryns fell in behind them. Shooting didn't do too much the Basilisk took aim at the right hand truck removing 3 wounds. My Lascannon team deleted a grot cannon then whiffed shooting the left hand truck. Frag Missiles into the Large Boyz squad and lootas achieved nothing. A Krak missile hit the right hand truck removing a further 3 wounds.

The Boyz advanced as did the trucks. The Dakka jet took aim at the Lascannon team tearing two crews apart and leaving the last on 1 wound. The right hand truck lootas and grot cannon only removed 5 of the hand Inf squad. The Boyz took aim at the center Inf squad, two gave there life for the Emperor. I was feeling a little apprehensive at this point.

End of Turn one:

gallery_72518_9307_1008935.jpg

Turn Two:

Needed to start cutting the green skins down now. The Scions arrived massacred the gretchin on the objective in my orks deployment zone causing them to all break and flee. The Bassy took aim at the Lootas, six shots later there was a large hole in the ground left to mark where the greenskins last resting place. The Ogryns moved around the corner and attempted to shoot up and charge the truck....they failed and were sitting ducks. I pumped frag missiles and lasguns into the large boyz squad only removing a couple of them. The dakkajet ate a lascannon and took two wounds. Col Prins issued FRFSRF to the left hand Inf squad to bring down the dakka jet, Pvt Jenkins got lucky and took a wound off the jet.

The orks on the right flank jumped out of the truck, they shot at the ogryns killing one into red mist and then charged. Amazingly the Bone'ead survived on 3 wounds! He fought back stomping two of the xenos into the dirt. The dakka jet took aim at the bassy and removed two wounds. The Boyz in the centre shot up my Inf Squad holding the objective killing 5. The inspiring presence of the Commisasar made them hold. The left hand truck fluffed it shooting, but arrrived in my back line.

End of Turn 2:

gallery_72518_9307_116323.jpg

Turn 3

This was where the Emperors fist fell down hard. My Ogryn Bone'ead fell back, then got back in the fight. Shooting a boy back to Gork and Mork. The Bassy turned its attentions to this squad only removing 3 more. In the Centre The Bullgryns moved up as did the remaining members of the Inf Squad. The left hand Inf squad moved into the ruins and awaited the greenskins. The Scions removed the Runtherd from the objective with extreme prejudice. The Bullgryns and inf squad cut up the squad of Boyz clearing a path to the Warboss for the Bullgryns. The Bullgryns initially fluffed their charge I re-rolled and they made it. The fight was quick and bloody, the warboss got pulped before he could even get a swing in. The Inf squad seeing the demise of the Ork Leader charged the Boyz losing one to overwatch, but taking two boyz with them. In return it was rather one sided they got squashed. I attempted to pop the left hand truck before it could disgorge the boyz inside got the lascannon and krak missile sent its way both missed.

There wasn't many greenskins left now. On the left the boyz jumped out of the truck shot then charged the Inf Squad in the ruins. Overwatch my as well not of happened, even the flamer produced zero wounds. The commisar sensing the danger dived in to attempt to slow the green tide. The Inf squad dissappeared under many choppa's. The Commissar remained and cut one boy down. The truck charged Col Prins who held his ground. I the centre the dakka jet turned its attentions to the Bullgryns, fortunately Emperors grace was shining on my Bullgryns tonight and only one wound was suffered. The Mek fearing for his safety fell back from the Bullgryns. The remaining five boyz charged the Bullgryns, two fell to overwatch, the remaining boyz took a swing at the Bullgryns missed then got pulled limb from limb. On the right the Boyz charged the Ogryn bone'ead, I interrupted combat to fight first two more fell to the ogryns fist, however the numbers finally told and the Nob finally finished his resistance, allowing the boyz to consolidated right next to the Bassy.

End of Turn 3:

gallery_72518_9307_1021092.jpg

Turn 4:

Things were looking good! The Scions jumped on the objective to the rear. The Bullgryns charged the final grot cannon, unsurprisingly it got crushed. The Bassy pulled away from the Boyz, The Inf Squad shot three off the board then the Commder and sqaud charged the remaining Nob, The Commander raised his power sword and cut the foul beast down.

In return the dakka jet took some pot shots at the Scions and killed three. The truck scared of Col Prins fell back allowing the boys to shot at him, 18+ shots later only one wound was taken.

At this point we called it as it was getting late. A 7-2 win was achieved by the Life Guards!

End of Turn 4:

gallery_72518_9307_598707.jpg

I was worried that once the orks got into CC with me would pull me to pieces, especially that mob of 20. Which when they did when they got close. Again my Bassy was a good choice taking out some threats, more artillery required I think. The orgyns worked better then I expected, they were a real speed bump to the boyz on the right flank slowing them down and taking bodies from them. However the stars of the show were the Bullgryns (esp after they sucked in my last game), crushing a Warboss and effectively deleting the centre of the ork army. I couldn't assess the effectiveness of my Priest as he got left behind as the Bullgryns charged off! All in all it was good fun. Chalk another win down for the Life Guards. Thanks for reading, Baz.

Edited by our_baz