E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

Some updates from my ETL V Vow. My reclaimed 20+ year old Chimera is finished. Been a right slog for an ETL vow but it was worth it. Like to hear any C&C if you guys and gals have any. If you would like to pull to painting apart as well I'd welocme that also!:thanks:

gallery_72518_9307_139032.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_312376.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_55934.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_814705.jpg

Edited by our_baz

Thanks for the positive comments.

Steellegionnaire recipe is, tin bitz base (sorry don't know the new names), boltgun metal dry brush (heavy), agrax earthshade wash. Typhus corrosion wash in joints of the track links, then a final light Ryza rust drybrush (light). Look forward to seeing yours.

Your camo and colour scheme is fanastic, as are the tracks. The only thing I'd add is a subtle grey, dull blue or brown wash in the gaps on the armour, especially around the driver's hatch.  I wouldn't go as far as calling it weathering because I wouldn't want to dull down that camo, but just to give the panels some more depth.  In summary I probably wouldn't take my advice as I'm yet to even finish a tank that I'm actually happy with haha.

:furious: Mechrite Red and Blood Red. The officially sanctioned GW replacements Mephiston Red and Evil Suns Scarlet are way different in colour. Esp the Mephiston Red which is closer Blood red in colour. :furious:

Coat D'Arms produce a lot of ex citadel colours.

• 4 weeks later...

Your camo and colour scheme is fanastic, as are the tracks. The only thing I'd add is a subtle grey, dull blue or brown wash in the gaps on the armour, especially around the driver's hatch. I wouldn't go as far as calling it weathering because I wouldn't want to dull down that camo, but just to give the panels some more depth. In summary I probably wouldn't take my advice as I'm yet to even finish a tank that I'm actually happy with haha.

I tried to add dirt along the bottom of the tank by drybrushing skaven blight dinge over stormvermin fur but hasn't Come up that well. Might try sponging the colour on to weather anyone got experience or advice for this?

#ETL V UPDATE#

First Vet Squad is done now. the red isn't looking a bright as I was hoping for. Also it takes ages to build uo a good colour. Would a red spray underoat a. speed things up? b.Anyone tried the GW or equivalent, any advice?

gallery_72518_9307_312822.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_1073866.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_429337.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_285453.jpg

Heres the completed Squad. Any C&C Welcome.

Edited by our_baz

They came out great! :D I think the red is fine, maybe just needs a bit of highlighting with a lighter red to bring it up? The spray reds are not a match to the existing colours, so you'd need to do some painting if you wanted to get the right colour anyway so I'm not sure how much time it'd save considering the white.

They came out great! :biggrin.: I think the red is fine, maybe just needs a bit of highlighting with a lighter red to bring it up? The spray reds are not a match to the existing colours, so you'd need to do some painting if you wanted to get the right colour anyway so I'm not sure how much time it'd save considering the white.

Cheers WF! :thanks: I did cheats highlighting via dry brush, with evil suns red (it doesn't show too well), maybe wild rider red with give a higher contrast?

Edited by our_baz

I find red easier to highlight, thanks to the variety so picking out a few folds and edges should be enough I reckon. You don't want a huge change in tone right?

Not a massive change no, but a visible change would be nice. Might experiment with these next 5 an pick up wild rider red.

So ETL V has come to a close for me. Found I can now speed paint these guys and not drop my standards which has pleased me. Just wish I could do the same with my armour! This Chimera took me most of the time. Heres a group shot of what I completed. Any comments welcome as always.

gallery_72518_9307_1143791.jpg

Very impressive baz, it's great that you have developed a faster painting method without sacrifice - this is what Guard armies are made of :lol: It's no easy scheme too with white and red but they really look good. The only thing I can think of is painting the lenses on the Chimera. You've had a great ETL, well done :D What's next for the Life Guards?

Finishing off painting half finished squads (I'm quite a hobby butterfly). Then my ceremonial dress troops need some love, oh and my CCS still hasn't been painted. Might save that for the next guard event. Only one unit in the build queue that's another vet squad

• 3 months later...

Not updated for a while. To be honest I've been well a truely aborad the Hersey Train for the last few months (a fact that probably wont change anytime soon either!). I did manage to put together a Vet Squad a few weeks ago (apologies photos aren't the best) which clears my unassembled list of IG. Just a Legion of grey to clear....is there a guard painting challenge anytime soon:whistling:. Thanks for looking C&C welcome.

gallery_72518_9307_628506.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_416443.jpg

I just read through the whole thread (Sunday after noon, a brew and some guard!) and I really like this army, especially your Chimera. It really reminds me of the old British army armored units stationed in Berlin during the cold war, lovely job.

@kasrkinryu thanks for looking glad you like it. British military garb an camo was the inspiration for the colour schemes.

@Cap'mHeckus, the rifles are "laser carbines" from anvil industry. Not sure if they still stock them.

• 4 weeks later...

After a life imposed month and bit break from the painting table I'm able to paint again andIi've returned to paint some IG.

Decided not to pledge too large initially for the "Cleansing of Ioria" campaign as free time at home is hard to come by and infrequent currently.

So I'm painting another Primaris Psyker (this will be my third to date, you can't have too many psykers right?). Made good progress last night, this was also my first use of a wet palette for painting too.

gallery_72518_9307_69041.jpg