E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Would dearly like to have pack of sentinels, but made a promise to myself (and the wife) not to buy any more models until I clear my backlog of my grey legion under my desk.

That is a promise I would never be able to keep.  :(

The troopers are great but just a bit of advice on the vehicles..

Have a look through the various threads here and check out the different ways people have weathered their vehicles. Yours have that "factory fresh" look about them which does not tie in with the urban battle theme and the abused guardsman look. That is not playing down your painting skill but don't be afraid to give it a go. First have a practice somewhere where it won't show too much if you make a mistake (I tried it on a vehicle belly plate first). Make it light at first as if you apply too much it will be hard to paint over. 

You can also check out military modelling sites and there are some YouTube tutorials that will help. If you see a method you like then just ask the painter how they went about it and usually they are only too happy to help. ;)

Also it is a good idea to start while you only have a few to do. It will really add to the overall look of your vehicles. :)

Then you're in the same boat I was baz until the latest Regiments challenge. Have a look at my topic, though I was going for a heavily weathered/dirty look it should give you something to think about. With Typhus Corrosion and a couple of washes you can do a lot without too much effort :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gone an biten the bullet and attempted some wethering on my Basilisk. Basically tried to replicate poor maintence and grease and grime build up. Added typus corrosion to the recesses on the armour and metalwork. Washed the tracks with agrax earthshade them drybrushed over Ryza rust. I'm not sure about the results. Any thoughts?

Cheers Baz

(sorry pics aren't great)

Weathering

Weathering

Weathering

I would say you should use more of the types corrosion. The rust effect might be a bit heavy, specially on a part that is vital on the vehicle :)

Keep the rust to edges and exposed parts. 

Otherwise the result is promising. 

Cheers for the suggestions. Would you recommend adding a few more layers of Thypus Corrosion to the recesses to build up the colour in that case. I want to keep an oily look would nuin oil rather than Agrax earthshade as a final wash work better?

Sorry for adding a picture in your thread mate (if there is a hidden/show spoiler function, a mod may feel free to make that happen and educate me in how to do it). 

But, when I made weathering effects I used the equivalent to Agrax earth shade around rivets and joints. Also recesses are painted with the shade. I put a very heavy amount and try to put it on with a  larger brush. This will give uneven application around each rivet and random spread. 

I then further added some weathering powder from forge world. There are many other makes, so thats not so important whom it came from. 

Anyhow, here are two pictures of a WIP Tauros Venator I had once upon a time. 

Edited by WarriorFish
Added spoiler tag

Spoilers are simple Vash, just add the following wrapper around what you want hidden:

[spoiler]SPOILED CONTENT[/spoiler]

The weathering looks good on it, having only recently sorted some weathering I was happy with it takes time to find something you're happy with that looks right. Took me years of sporadic experimentation and failure...

BIg thanks for the advice Vash and Warriorfish and Elmo for pushing me in the first instance on weathering :thanks: . Gone wanting to strip the whole model and starting again to being really pleased with the outcome. Agrax Earthshade is boss:thumbsup:   (in the vernacular of my homeland). Basically gave recesses/ rivets an extra coat of Typus followed by Agrax and boom the oily badly maintained look I wanted. (The tech priest who looks after this Basilisk needs a bolt round to the head). So happy was I also applied to my sentinel.

Weathering II

Weathering II

Weathering II

Weathering II

Weathering II

Weathering II

Got a three different test infantry models prep'd ready for colour scheme testing and CCS on the do start pile. But not touching them until I make some headway on these two Sallie projects:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295623-salamanders-librarians-psykic-choir-wip/?view=findpost&p=3786073 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/275740-firedrakes-in-power-armour-wip/?p=3375538

• 1 month later...

Been AWOL for a while, time for a small update.

The men have been lacking in faith so they need so religous direction / fevour

gallery_72518_9307_189257.jpg

(Question to the Mods: My photo's always appear as smaller images comapred to other posts on the forum. How can I make them larger? Images are 2500 x 1400 pixels. Cheers)

Edited by our_baz

Are you sure you're uploading 2500 x 1400 images? That's massive! It's likely the software is scaling it down automatically, try making the images smaller before uploading - 700px wide is a good size I find, depending on what you need in the picture. I also put images in directly as an img tag rather than a gallery link too, let me know if you need help with anything.

Priest looks good, I like the details he has - hopefully he gives you the fervour that's needed to get some models done! Especially a tank for next year... ;)