E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

Those Ogryns came out great!  They almost look like a very heavily armed football team in those colors, which I feel is a fair estimation of their temperament.  :biggrin.:

As for the Scion, I like the metallic work and the crimson mask is very bold.  The only recommendation I have is to paint the fatigues or armor in a slightly different color than flat black all around.  It's harder to discern between the fatigues/armor if they're the same color, and you lose a lot of detail in the mix.  Perhaps a nice grey or dark blue for the fatigues?  :happy.:

That looks so good! I might 'borrow' that red Scion face idea from ya :)

Thanks, I can't admit to the face idea being my own original I "borrowed " from @vash guard thread.

Those Ogryns came out great! They almost look like a very heavily armed football team in those colors, which I feel is a fair estimation of their temperament. :D

As for the Scion, I like the metallic work and the crimson mask is very bold. The only recommendation I have is to paint the fatigues or armor in a slightly different color than flat black all around. It's harder to discern between the fatigues/armor if they're the same color, and you lose a lot of detail in the mix. Perhaps a nice grey or dark blue for the fatigues? ^_^

Great work baz, you're really going to town :D They're looking good, the Scion scheme is cool too but as Vel says a bi of difference would help. Keep up the sterling work :tu:

Thanks for positive vibes on models guys. I totally see your point on the black, I'm going for a spec ops look hence the black and also trying to keep my palette limited (2-3 main colours max), I could try giving an aggressive dry brush with a dark grey to bring up some more texture. I gave the black armour a coat of red glaze (as you can see from the metal) so it looks a little shiny to the eye but not the camera. Appreciate the feedback guys. Edited by our_baz

For a nice black that isn't "the void" I use Charadon Granite and give a good couple of black washes. Works really well I find for little effort :smile.:

Cheers WF ill give that a punt, looks like I'll have to drag the little one to GW Bath then to pick up that paint.....oh the hardship.

gallery_72518_9307_18211.jpg

Returned after a mini break last week to recharge batteries. Took advice on the black fatigues, changed to storm vermin fur, with a few washes of nuil oil. Happy with the results. The other four are progressing nicely. Hope fully be done this week.

Edited by our_baz

Very nice baz, I think a lot of us are going to end up with skull faced Scions :)

It's a subtle change, but it works! The model is definitely better defined now, and I'd agree that the red faceplate on the helmet is an excellent idea. Does it remind anyone else of Army of Two?

Cheers guys, the scions have now descended into an experiment to achieve various shades of black to get different textures on the models.

Edited by our_baz

:furious: Mechrite Red and Blood Red. The officially sanctioned GW replacements Mephiston Red and Evil Suns Scarlet are way different in colour. Esp the Mephiston Red which is closer Blood red in colour. :furious:

Just had a quick google Red issues on this subject in the office during coffee break. It turns out BA and succesor people have had the same issue. Mephiston is a good base for blood red. Khorne red is the closest to Mechrite red in the new range not Mephiston as GW claim. Going to pop out at lunch to get Khorne red. The change will in the end help with the tunics on my life guards, but hacked me off last night did test scion face with the Mechrite and the other four with Mephiston, they now have odd faces!

Edited by our_baz

Mephiston Red gives a great dark red color, but it's very gooey and can leave serious brushstrokes.  If you're doing a small area, you'll get way better results with Khorne Red.

Mephiston Red gives a great dark red color, but it's very gooey and can leave serious brushstrokes.  If you're doing a small area, you'll get way better results with Khorne Red.

Looked rather bright, it's a very good base forBA.

Coming along nicely, but please stop mentioning that film that shall not be named - you do your fine work a great disservice and make my trigger finger twitch...

Message received.

Edited by our_baz