The working assumption has been that the Lions are evicted from Cluster space to die a slow death out in a Deep, only to surprisingly survive and flourish. I believe the initial posts as updated reflect that.

Now, just because the Imperium thinks they kicked the Lions out with their tufted tails between their legs doesn't necessarily mean that is true. If Al-Rashid had a backup plan, a hideaway out in the Deep, it could explain why it didn't end up the death sentence everyone thought it was.

And all that said, the assumption was based on my own prediction of the EWC conclusion, as well as an assumption that nobody here would want them gone forever. But the assumed conclusion still hinges on how the EWC ends up as written, and so might not go that way at all by the end of it.

I bring all this up because Khroda's overall strategic goals will greatly effect what the Judges, Heralds, and Lords are sailing into on Ewin.

A situation where the Lions are buying time to cram as much stuff as possible into their ships before they vamoose is going to be very different from one where they've dug in even more in preparation for Imperial Invasion 2: The Quickening.

This is a tale that is meant to be expanded upon and affected by our individual writings, and we are meant to roll with what comes out of that even if it affects our own plans.

So why don't you choose what you think is the more likely or the more interesting, and write that tale, and we will roll with whatever conclusion it brings.

I just wanted to try and not urinate in anyone else's breakfast cereal when I set off on A BOLD NEW DIRECTION OF MY OWN DEVISING, hence trying to gauge the opinions of the group as a whole before plunging into territory like "Khroda seeks to bloody the Imperium enough that they sit down at the peace table and formally recognize his Lions as the Warders of the Deeps and the Eighteen Worlds as their protectorate."

(Not that I plan on going with that...well, maybe. Just offering it as an example)

Heh. But seriously, it is good to check up on folks so that you don't that thing you so inelegantly put, but part of the purpose of this collaborative effort is to adapt to what others are doing. We can still provide proper C&C and all that, not just as a form of quality-control but to help us all better improve our talents. But while that can include things like "While it's never said that they don't ride dinosaurs, it seems rather out of character for the Lords Inviolate to do so," by and large we should be adapting to the content people put out rather than trying to change it.

So, for instance, the example idea I would I pipe up and say that Al-Rashid's personal backstory makes me think that he would never choose to shackle himself once more to the Imperial machine. Not after centuries of tasting freedom, and certainly not to save a bit more blood from being shed. So if you want to give that idea a go, I'd recommend you provide something extra to really drive home that Al-Rashid feels that he has no choice but to do so. Which would mean putting him in a position where escape is not even possible. He did, after all, flee once before.

But if you do go through with it, and go the extra distance to make the tale believable and in-character, then we will all adapt to that circumstance. Hell, part of me is intrigued by it, simply because of how ironic it will prove to be once I finally go through with one of my plans. :devil:

I like the idea that Al-Rashid might decamp. I'm less sold on the idea that there might be a parley (if that is even a serious suggestion here, I can't quite tell). :huh.:

If I did go that route...it would have to be something to do with his feelings for the men and women under his command, the Hyenas, Ash Wolves, even the Coyotes.

Fighting the Imperium head on means sacrificing them all (even if it takes centuries.) Fleeing is betraying the men and women who took his colors, who gave up everything to stand by his side.

And of course, everything he commits to the fight with the Liber is something he can't use to watch the Deeps, which yea verily are both dark, and full of terrors.

So, instead of flight, or a vainglorious last stand of spiteful self annihilation, he does the hardest thing of all for an Astartes:

Swallows his ego and puts out feelers for negotiation.

As far as the parley:

It started out as "What would be the most nonsensical thing I could add to this Crusade? I know! Attempting to find a solution besides KILL EM ALL!" And then Conn responded in a way that wasn't "Ahhh ha ha no seriously you can't do that" and then I started to think about it in a non joke way.

Come to think of it, there was at least one attempt to negotiate Badab (which ended with the space station the negotiations were being held on exploding in a giant fireball, but it's the thought that counts). And while the Lions are certainly Renegades they aren't out and out heretics and are much likely easier to get along with than the Conflagrators or the Black Judges. :p

I have to say that there is a part of me that recoiled at the idea of a negotiation. But then you mentioned Badab and the cogs start to turn. 

So what sort of negotiation are we talking, ultimately? A simple ceasefire - an armistice - or something more substantial? Who would be the intended parties to talk? 

On the Imperial side of things, the Inquisition seems like the group most likely to greet envoys from Al-Rashid with anything besides gunfire and battlecries.

Maaaaybe the Martian Orthodoxy. That tech ark gives Khroda something fairly substantial to barter with, and some of the Magos might at least entertain ambassadors from the Lions solely to step on Saneslau's toes.

On the Lion's side, my initial idea for an ambassador is none other than Og the Gentleman, whose cranial implant databanks include knowledge of etiquette and protocol from all across the Liber Cluster and two Segmentums in the larger galaxy.

Though I am of two minds on that score. One says that having a giant abhuman in steam spewing combat armor who nontheless delicately sips tea and dines on hors d'oeuvre while being the most reasonable entity in the talks turns it all into a farce.

The other mind points out that this is a cease fire negotiation in 40k, so we're already deep into "What? WHAT? WHAAAAT?" territory as it is, and that it would like to play around with the idea that the Lions made their giant mutant shock troops intelligent enough to see the benefits of peace.

The Martian Orthodoxy. Hmm. I can see them (or at least some of them) scheming for their own ends in a negotiation, perhaps to gain a foothold against the Saneslau Mechanicus in the Cluster. 

Aaand look where we're going with this. We really need to focus on the previous waves before venturing into new territory. :rolleyes:

Heh, agreed Olis.

. . . But I would disagree about the Martian Orthodoxy. They're usually pretty finicky and private about their stuff. Here is an organization that has something they want, but is the enemy of the Imperium. Seems more likely to me that they'd advocate their complete destruction, using their own aid in this endeavor as leverage to monopolize the technological and mechanical loot. Much easier to do if the Lions are all dead. Especially if it is deemed a tech-heresy.

You have a point about the Ad Mech, Conn, I just figured that if there was even a chance of getting their mechadendrites on the Ark relatively intact instead of blown to smithereens (as any attempt to take it by force would surely result in) they'd hear Khroda's envoys out.

In contrast Saneslau has so many old scores to settle (old business dealings to cover up?) with the Lions that they'd skip straight to interrogation via vivisection.

Or maybe that's what the Seikiri messengers could offer the Orthodox tech priests; compromising information about their wayward brethren, a means to finally bring them back under the control of the Red Planet.

Which would give the boys in blue a very good reason to sabotage the negotiations any way they can manage it.

I imagined the Lords reaction to anyone even hinting at negotiating with Seikiri after the First Battle of Evin Prime would have the average World Eater offering a silent thumbs up if not outright applauding.

Here's what I'm seeing at the moment:

After Evin Prime I, Crusade High Command is doing a pretty good imitation of a circular firing squad. The attempt to decapitate the Lions failed, and now two staging worlds have been destroyed and the fuel refinery planet that was supposed to fuel the next wave of attacks is back in Lion hands.

Several of the Lord Generals of the Guard blame the Conflagrators , a situation that is not helped by the fact that the highest ranking Guard officer in theater is a Muldacian. (The British-Raj with lizards guys who took 100% casualties at Zavatista.)

Meanwhile, the Liber Ecclesiarchy is funneling waves of ragged fanatics into the war zone, getting in everyone's way and accusing everyone except the Conflagrators of a lack of faith and zeal.

The Blackjaw Kindred have once again begun to clash with the Blades of the Lion, Saneslau is threatening to pull its Titan Legions out of the Crusade after it wasn't allowed to administer the reclaimed Forge World, and even the Navy is getting into the swing of things, with one of the Battle fleets supporting the Crusade made up of elements of what would later become the Gaerox Perogative clashing with the traditional Navy officers as they blame one another for the setbacks.

The Lords Inviolate's stock has fallen off with their retreat from Evin, and their attempts to organize a reinforcement campaign are running into obstacles.

And then, at one of the strategy meetings which is well on its way to the current status quo of "Swearing, throwing furniture, and challenging each other to duels" a Speaker of the Law (mortal who stands with the Black Judges represenative in meetings like this and relays the mysterious Chapter's words to outsiders) drops the small bombshell that the Judges are already hitting Evin Prime by themselves.

Which is in fact a sneaky-sneaky ruse by the Inquisition to cover up the extraction of Og from Lion territory. Because what could be more distracting than unleashing a Chapter of psychotic Batman wannabes?

Which is in fact a sneaky-sneaky ruse by the Inquisition to cover up the extraction of Og from Lion territory. Because what could be more distracting than unleashing a Chapter of psychotic Batman wannabes?

There could also be Penumbra attacks on a couple of important worlds that may or may not actually be 100% staged by the Inquisition to provide distractions, if you need them. :happy.:

With super double bonus points if any nearby All-Seers react with something like "the portents gave no warning of these attacks" or something like that.

I think that if the Inq did do that they'd just use agents disguised as Swift Foxes or Ash Wolves.

"Umm...my lord? If we're going to have a cease fire talk with Khroda, isn't throwing one of the most unstable Chapters in the Liber at him while staging Seikiri attacks a bit counter-pro..."

"SILENCE, PEON!"

Archived