[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Ok, so I made a 2100 point list to face off against Athrawes and his Thousand Sons. I'm not expecting anything worse than Land Raider at this point, and in the future, if I do, most people don't take armored ceramite I've noticed.

Drop Assault RoW

HQ

Maloghurst

Justaerin (5)

+ MM, 2 combi meltas, 4 axes, 1 chainfist

Elites

Apothecary

Mortis Contemptor

+ twin Kheres assault cannons

+ dread drop pod

Troops

18 tactical marines

+ swap bolters for ccws, Sgt w/AA/PS

10 Reavers

+ 9 chainaxes, Sgt w/AA/PF, 2 Melta guns

+ Dreadclaw DT

5 support marines

+ 5 Melta guns

+ legion drop pod DT

Fast Attack

5 Seeker marines

+ 5 combi plas

+ legion drop pod DT

Heavy Support

Kharybdis Drop Pod

So this list isn't super optimized, it's more for the feel of the legion. It's supposed to represent "Maloghurst's Own" company (though he likely didn't have one, but hey).

The 18 despoilers hop in the Kharybdis with Mal and the Apothecary for big blob of doom tactics. They'll have fearless, a 5+ FNP, plus the likely Merciless Fighters rule, not to mention whatever Warlord trait Mal picks up on top of his ability to score.

The list is meant to use and abuse the tip of the spear point rule for everyone to be on the table turn 2 from the rerolls. All of you will notice a lack of solid AT weapons, but as I've said, I won't see anything worse than a land raider. However, there are Melta Guns everywhere to deal with that issue.

Thoughts?

Keep maloghurst, run the Justaerin as normal Cataphractii and put them all in the Kharybdis. Exchange the Tactical squad for another reaver squad and outfit both for anti-light/medium infantry (flamers and powerswords). Drop the Contemptor or take a normal one and give him two DCCWs and Graviton guns. Remove the apothecary and the spare points as you will. 

Mission accomplished: A thematically optimized list.

Ok I just want one Kheres cannon on the SoH contemptor because it looks awesome but here's with your suggestions (6 points to spare, but idk if there's anything you can get with that):

HQ

Maloghurst 140

Elites

Terminators (231)

+ 4 PFs, 1 CF, 3 combi meltas

Contemptor (205)

+ Kheres, grav gun

+ drop pod (65)

Troops

10 Reavers (263)

+ Sgt w/AA/PS, 1 power sword, 8 CAs, 1 melta gun

+ Dreadclaw (100)

10 Reavers (263)

+ Sgt w/PS/AA, 8 CAs, 1 melta gun, 1 power sword

+ Dreadclaw (100)

5 support marines (175)

+ 5 meltas

+ drop pod (35)

Fast Attack

Seekers (225)

+ 5 combi plas, swap Scorpius rounds for Banestrike

+ Drop pod (35)

Heavy Support

Kharybdis assault claw (260)

2100 points

The only issue is that I'll rarely, if ever, get to use the merciless fighters rule. I know most people think it's meh, but it'd be nice to try and get it to work. Maybe two reaver squads teaming up for gangbang? (lol get it because they're from Cthonia) :P

There are six drop pods: two of them regular, one a dread pod, two dreadclaws, and one Kharybdis. The shooty elements of the army handle TEQs, the Reavers for opening transports and assaulting MEQ squads, and Terminators to handle SHtF units. 4 units plus Mal that can score.

Any suggestions on which three pods should drop in first?

Ok I just want one Kheres cannon on the SoH contemptor because it looks awesome but here's with your suggestions (6 points to spare, but idk if there's anything you can get with that):

HQ

Maloghurst 140

Elites

Terminators (231)

Contemptor (205)

+ Kheres, grav gun

+ drop pod (65)

Troops

10 Reavers (263)

+ Dreadclaw (100)

10 Reavers (263)

+ Dreadclaw (100)

5 support marines (175)

+ 5 meltas

+ drop pod (35)

Fast Attack

Seekers (225)

+ Drop pod (35)

Heavy Support

2100 points

The only issue is that I'll rarely, if ever, get to use the merciless fighters rule. I know most people think it's meh, but it'd be nice to try and get it to work. Maybe two reaver squads teaming up for gangbang? (lol get it because they're from Cthonia) :tongue.:

There are six drop pods: two of them regular, one a dread pod, two dreadclaws, and one Kharybdis. The shooty elements of the army handle TEQs, the Reavers for opening transports and assaulting MEQ squads, and Terminators to handle SHtF units. 4 units plus Mal that can score.

Hi,

I like the idea of your list as Im a Mal/Drop Pod list players myself. Trying to recreate Mal company is a great idea.

This leads to my first question. I know that Mal used to be a captian .. or is ... but where is it stated what kind of company he had or how it is structured?

I wanna mention/aska few things regarding your list. I wont tell you how to powergame. Its more about concepts, that may or may not make sense.

Contempotors have to take dreadclaws. At least Im pretty sure.

Why so many dreadclaws? And why the extra Kharybdis? I understand that u wanna have 5 pods for 3 pods on the first turn, but the Kharibdys seems to be out of context.

U have no unit that can make use of its potential. Swap it with a dreadclaw and u could get another support squad with drop pod or more  shinies into your reavers. U could replace it with a heavy waepon squad and a drop pod so u can handle verhicles. Just some thoughts of course.

U can take the last 6 points for meltabombs on one of your reaver chieftains or scratch 4 chainaxes and get another powersword.

Edited by Iron Dude

HQ

Maloghurst 140

Elites

Terminators (231)

Contemptor (205)

+ Kheres, grav gun

+ drop pod (65)

Troops

10 Reavers (263)

+ Dreadclaw (100)

10 Reavers (263)

+ Dreadclaw (100)

5 support marines (175)

+ 5 meltas

+ drop pod (35)

Fast Attack

Seekers (225)

+ Drop pod (35)

Heavy Support

2100 points

The only issue is that I'll rarely, if ever, get to use the merciless fighters rule. I know most people think it's meh, but it'd be nice to try and get it to work. Maybe two reaver squads teaming up for gangbang? (lol get it because they're from Cthonia) :tongue.:

Hi,

I like the idea of your list as Im a Mal/Drop Pod list players myself. Trying to recreate Mal company is a great idea.

This leads to my first question. I know that Mal used to be a captian .. or is ... but where is it stated what kind of company he had or how it is structured?

I wanna mention/aska few things regarding your list. I wont tell you how to powergame. Its more about concepts, that may or may not make sense.

Contempotors have to take dreadclaws. At least Im pretty sure.

Why so many dreadclaws? And why the extra Kharybdis? I understand that u wanna have 5 pods for 3 pods on the first turn, but the Kharibdys seems to be out of context.

U have no unit that can make use of its potential. Swap it with a dreadclaw and u could get another support squad with drop pod or more shinies into your reavers. U could replace it with a heavy waepon squad and a drop pod so u can handle verhicles. Just some thoughts of course.

U can take the last 6 points for meltabombs on one of your reaver chieftains or scratch 4 chainaxes and get another powersword.

The Kharybdis is nice because the terminators plus Mal can Assault out of it gauranteed 2nd turn nearly anywhere on the board because of its mobility. The dreadclaws are for the same reason - they are mobile assault vehicles that can still contribute with their retro burners or move reavers for a last minute objective score.

I really only need regular pods for the two shooty suicide squads :) they need the inertial guidance for getting close to their intended target.

The Contemptor has a dread drop pod, it doesn't need a Dreadclaw.

Mal I thought had a company, or would lead something appointed to him by Horus. Though I believe in Horus Rising, Maloghurst led down his own company after Sejanus got nuked.

Mal probably isn't the best person to put in the Despoilers due to his rules, he hinders finishing off a unit in assault although he does provide Fearless, personally I would look at the Seekers as you might get more mileage out of him there.

I think if you're going to take Meltaguns on your Reavers it might be wise to back it up with some Combis as well, 2 Meltaguns isn't enough in my opinion to do any serious damage.

I do have a soft spot for Justaerin and yours are about as good as it gets possibly dropping the MM though and giving the entire squad Combi-Melta or even Combi-Plasma to get rid of other Terminator units. This is just a thought as I can never get them to work.

I think you might want to check the Mortis-Contemptor I'm not sure it can take a dedicated transport.

I like the list though brilliant idea really faced paced alpha strike just like the Sons.

According to the red books, the both mortis variants cant take dedicated transports and orbital assault is just talking about legion and contemptor dreadoughts. RAW this would mean not mortis allowed right? Than again the Dreadnought Drop pod is speaking of Dreadnought variants. But how to get them in there if its not allowed?

@charge12

And I think PastelAvenger is kinda right about Mal. Put him somewhere, weher he can fire bis banstrike twice and is able to give fearless to your guys without being in meleecombat himself.

I thought about what pods u can bring first. I see 2 options:

a) u bring the regular drop pods first round granting u some sort of alphastrike. Downside: reasonable melee, aside fromt he dranought, in turn 3.

b ) u bring the the reavers and the contemptor first and stay inside the pods. U gotta drop relatively close to your enemy.Preferebly with some cover. If the pods get destroyed and u get pinned, drop Mal next to them in the second round. They will stand up cuz of fearless buble(at least playing 7th). If u opponent plays an equal powerlevel to you, you will mostly deny your oppenents alphastrike and ull be ready to charge on your second turn while (probably) having all of your squads on the table. Taking Legion droppods with the reavers might be better for this list since ur calculating with losing the pods, on the other hand dreadclaws can jink.

Edited by Iron Dude

Maloghurst and Cataphractii Terminators are perfect together. His inability to Sweeping Advance or Run isn't a hindrance with Slow & Purposeful, and the Fearless bubble is nice. Only thing is that his Warlord Trait is wasted if he's with them.

If you take Horus, this is not an issue though! :)

@Iron Dude, with the Red Book being redone, hopefully they clarify which Dreadnoughts can take which Drop Pods as DT's and which ones can go in Dreadclaws/Kharybdis claws.

I know its getting a bit off topic now, but is it confirmed that theyll redo the LACAL? Only the ICL book is no longer available.

But to stay on topic. Do u imply that u would use the loophole in orbital assault to have the termis on the board in round 1?

Edited by Iron Dude

It is confirmed. They said it at the open day if I remember correctly - adjusted points and minor rules tweaks/ clarifications as well as adding in the new pdf units. Hopefully non fluff from book 6 too.

On topic though I agree with Melta guns, more the merrier. I'd keep the Multi though, it's unique to the Justaerian and gives them flavour.

Mal probably isn't the best person to put in the Despoilers due to his rules, he hinders finishing off a unit in assault although he does provide Fearless, personally I would look at the Seekers as you might get more mileage out of him there.

I think if you're going to take Meltaguns on your Reavers it might be wise to back it up with some Combis as well, 2 Meltaguns isn't enough in my opinion to do any serious damage.

I do have a soft spot for Justaerin and yours are about as good as it gets possibly dropping the MM though and giving the entire squad Combi-Melta or even Combi-Plasma to get rid of other Terminator units. This is just a thought as I can never get them to work.

I think you might want to check the Mortis-Contemptor I'm not sure it can take a dedicated transport.

I like the list though brilliant idea really faced paced alpha strike just like the Sons.

I'm still really tempted just to run my original list to see how it works and measures up against others. I keep Mal with the Despoilers, and while I know they can't sweep with him, he locks them from running away and the apothecary hands out 5+ FNP, which is almost like a combat shield for everyone, but better. I kinda want to see how the big blob of doom does up against a squad of terminators (not a 10 man, or my guys would be obliterated). I'd hope that most terminator squads would have just axes or fists, since am AP3 weapon would be wasted on them. If that's true, then you can guarantee that I'll be getting extra attacks from Merciless Fighters; the one scary thing about running terminators is facing up against a deluge of hits - you'll eventually roll a 1. Plus they get the attack in before I1 I believe ;)

@Charlo and Pastel

I have a super soft spot for Justaerin too, and it doesn't help that they have awesome models. I might be able to silver tongue my way through my gaming group (like Horus) to let me play Justaerin at a reduced cost, like 205 points for a base of 5 with no upgrades, as 285 for 5 is just bananas.

Edited by depthcharge12

Hello guys !

So, I've been "eyeing" the Sons of Horus (see what I did there ? tee hee) for a bit and even though I swerve towards Ultras or Raven Guard, I keep circling back to them. I love how free form the army can be and what you can do with them.

I wanted to have your insights on several stuff :

1) Justaerin : I know they're expensive, but I feel they work terribly well as a bodyguard for a character that can Deep Strike them (wink wink Abbaddon, wink wink Horus). I have the feeling that Lightning Claws or Power Fists (even if they don't benefit from Merciless Fighters) are the best combination due to their WS5.

2) Reavers : So, they look like Tactical or Assault or Despoiler squads on Steroids. Out of the blue, my main idea was to go crazy with them : full squad with Volkites, Jump Packs and Power Swords, with the idea to use them as cavalry to bolster the line or crash somewhere through Deep Strike and Outflank.

3) Dreadclaw Pods : I'm not a big fan of the unit due to the fact that they have to arrive via Drop Pod Assault. They lack precision and to me would only work well in a combination with other Dreadclaws. But I'm all ears for your suggestions there.

Cheers !

Hello guys !

So, I've been "eyeing" the Sons of Horus (see what I did there ? tee hee) for a bit and even though I swerve towards Ultras or Raven Guard, I keep circling back to them. I love how free form the army can be and what you can do with them.

1) Justaerin : I know they're expensive, but I feel they work terribly well as a bodyguard for a character that can Deep Strike them (wink wink Abbaddon, wink wink Horus). I have the feeling that Lightning Claws or Power Fists (even if they don't benefit from Merciless Fighters) are the best combination due to their WS5.

2) Reavers : So, they look like Tactical or Assault or Despoiler squads on Steroids. Out of the blue, my main idea was to go crazy with them : full squad with Volkites, Jump Packs and Power Swords, with the idea to use them as cavalry to bolster the line or crash somewhere through Deep Strike and Outflank.

3) Dreadclaw Pods : I'm not a big fan of the unit due to the fact that they have to arrive via Drop Pod Assault. They lack precision and to me would only work well in a combination with other Dreadclaws. But I'm all ears for your suggestions there.

Cheers !

I'm in the same gravy boat as you bud ;) I've been eyeing them up as well as my heresy army. The nice thing about them is that they're not technically around in 40k (Black Legion says they aren't either) so it's a unique army you can take that doesn't have an analogue.

It's nice that Justaerin have a 3 man squad because you can stick a character or two in with them in a dreadclaw (I think that was the intention). I'd honestly just stick axes on them because with furious charge, they're wounding on 2's against marines. Throw a multi melta on them because if they do deep strike, you might need that extra 6" melta reach to nuke a tank, plus, it can ID multi wound TEQs.

Justaerin don't work, unless you feel like giving up a Rapier gun, pair of Rhino's, Dreadclaw, or Predator every time you take them.

The unit itself is good. They are just too expensive. Please lets not go into another 'yeh but throw trillions of points at it, it becomes better' discussion. It doesn't and I don't know many people who want to hash out the old 'deathstars don't work' discussion again.

Reavers. No don't go crazy. I can't say this enough. Boys over toys. They are good, but throwing 500pts at a unit turns it into a good unit at the expense of facing twice the firepower that two units half equipped.

Dreadclaws are awesome. They give units Deep Strike, with a 3HP void shield and a flatout move jink a further 6" to their first assault, AND thanks to Deep Strike, the ability to move where no other unit can go. For 100pts.

Run orbital assault, they have their niche there as an Elite Assault Delivery, and can even work with Justaerin (if you houserule their 85pt tax to not exist), but are less useful.where their strength comes in is the SoH's access to Dreadclaws without the need for Orbital Assault.

Hello guys !

Cheers !

Justearin + one or two chainfist +dreadclaw = dead spartans. Still pricy if u compare that combo to the price of a spartan. They cant do that much against MCs or GMCs and regular terminators outperform them in terms of effiency in below 2000 point games. If the points allow to go nuts, justaerin can be better than legion termis (as hesh implied).

Reavers are cool. Since Im playing against 40k a lot, I can confirm norngals theory about the chainaxes against regular 40k armies. They are still outperformed by veterans, since they are cheaper and come with a bolter by default. If reavers had the banestrikebolter by default they would be awesome indeed. Yes, Reavers can become juminfantry, but them ur putting a lot of points into them, to make it worth it, making them a even bigger target then they already are.

Dreadclaws. I wasnt a fan of these ones at the beginning. The dreadclaw has some advatages over the regular drop pod. Yes the dont have the inertial guidance, but u dont have to drop right next to your enemy to begin with. U are pretty fast and they can jink. In addition they are not opentopped. So no EXPLODE! from anything less than ap2. If ur still woried about  a mishap, you can get a scoutcenturion with some marines+vox.

Thanks for the insights guys !

@DC12 : I agree with your fluff comments ! They're very unique as a faction within 30k ;) Good points about the axes and furious charge too, you're going to have to ensure that they get the charge though. Justaerins like you said were really meant as an escort.

@Hesh : Your points are interesting but I'd like to mention that the boys over toys doctrine works only when looking at an army level, not a unit level (except for line units). If you don't gear your damaging units properly, might as well leave them off the table. I'm actually genuinely curious as to why you are so conservative when it comes to spending points (from several other threats), and I'm not talking about going full bling and putting spinners and neons on the unit. I really feel that you are missing out on some very worth while investments because you might be afraid of that expenditure.

I dig your point about the Reavers though, I just skimmed through their entry but the point cost for the upgrades are terribly high. They seem like Tacticals or Assault Squads just a tad better, but not enough to make a big difference. They do have an extra attack and Outflank, so I guess they're good to make a good basic line unit or reserve assault squad (as in keeping behind the line of tacticals, then jumping forward to press an advantage when an opening has been identified).

For the Claw, yep, it's a good analysis (I'm thinking about dropping 5 Terminators as well as a Dreadnought Drop Pod for a 2+ Jink on the Claw, tee hee).

What bothers me is the fact that you have to come Turn 1 with these guys, or have multiple Pods in play (2-3 total) to choose when and where your reserves arrive. Otherwise that means taking the full brunt of the enemy firepower T1 without having the option to choose not to.

@Iron Dude : Good points zbout the Chainfist !

No-one is saying run them naked. Don't put words in my mouth. But with all due respect, you have a tendency to suggest giving every upgrade possible, while attaching 3 characters and a Primarch and saying "well look at this unit, what can beat it"? I'm not. I look at a unit, see what potential it can fulfil in certain roles, before seeing what else there is and if there are other options.  Throwing 500pts at a unit and saying "look its good now" isn't really an ideal way to build an army. Sure. A 200pt unit isn't going to be as good. But 2 units at 400 total with a 100pts elsewhere just makes it worthwhile.

Also, you're putting X points into a unit that is so expensive and so threatening that your opponent has no option but to shoot at it. That unit takes casualties, where each casualty is 40pts a model, rather than mine where they're only 20pts a model. End unit still has same effectiveness when it comes to hitting enemies. Same casualties are suffered, but because there are more models on a table more damage is caused because not all the models are killed because there are more models on the table even after casualties.

But yeah, when you get to read it, you'll see why Reavers are good. You're comparing them to Assault Marines. 15 Assault Marines = 325pts. 15 Reavers, Jump Packs = 335pts. That same unit has Precision Strikes, +1 Attack per model (even the chieftain). Power Weapons? Same price. Reavers also get multiple power fists, and more power weapons if needed. Usually 1:3 ratio is a good one. Chainaxes. Axe WE how good they are, especially with SA/Militia becoming more of a thing. That said, with a few upgrades, you're looking nearer 400pts on both units, which is a lot - so a 10 Man Squad comes in at 260pts. And can still take 1:1 power weapons if you need it to.

If you don't want a foot assault unit, Veterans come in at 10pts cheaper for 10. You're trading 10pts and Veteran Tactics (i.e Furious Charge) for Precision Strikes and +1 Attack. Makes Vets better in that regard. Want to shoot? Sniper Bolters for 200pts as opposed to Reavers with Boltguns with Banestrikes and Precision Shots for 260pts, while 280pts for Volkites? If you want Volkites, don't run Reavers. Either run Tactical Support Squads who get S6 30" Calivers for cheaper (250) or Night Lords Terror Assault (250pts; gets Infiltrate, Preferred Enemy). 

Especially with large blobs of Zealots or Fearless becoming a thing more and more (is there any loyalist Militia players out there?), the Reavers who get to Jump Pack with Chainaxes can make a royal mess of things. 

They can take varied kit to help ease the way against a wide variety of common threats or targets and aren't too expensive about doing something. Unlike Terror Squads with Volkite, which are okay only at CC (2 Attacks base, 2 CCW, Fear, Preferred Enemy, Talent for Murder), Reavers can actively go out and make a thing about being able to multitask thanks to 2-3 useful special weapons. They are a varied unit in game that otherwise doesn't really suit variety, and a rather good investment in an all comers list.

"Axe WE how good they are." - Heshkadesh. 

I chuckled. 

---

Any chaos space marine player who has fielded chosen in an assault role will see the similarities between them and Reavers. Reavers accomplish the same tasks and role as Chosen, but more effectively and for fewer points. I've heard much talk regarding the Justaerins capabilities as a bodyguard unit, but have not tried them myself. I am personally curious about how their purpose as they appear to be similar to Laerneans but much more aggressive.

Edit: Regarding Maloghurst's utility. Has anyone considered fielding him in a unit of twenty breachers and scouting them up with a vigilator? 

Edit 2: If I purchase Banestrike rounds for a Vigilator, does that replace his specialist ammo?

Edited by Sheesh Mode

Justaerin are actually command squads with 85 point tax. If you want to stuff a 10 men unit command squad with praetor and whatever in a spartan, these are your guys. Just can't think about how much points this is and what for.. beside this, the command squads outperform them in terms of points if you set furious charge+stubborn=fearless. The CS can also take a special weapon if they are below 5 men, while the justaerin can't.

Comparing reavers to anything is meh as well. Assault squads are highly overcosted, so no real use to mention the benefits if reavers over them.

One of their biggest bonus would be if they were able to charge in the turn they outflanked. Anything else leaves them in a unsecure spot, very vulnerable to shooting.

One thing to mention at their benefit is that they can be geared in any way,still dealing more damage than regular legionaires (who needs dead blobs that deal no damage?!) or that they can do crazy tactics vs 4+ armies.

Just think of using black reavin row. Imagine 6x 5 reavers with chainaxe. It's 840 points, yes. About 1,5 - twice the price when you compare it to what you are usually willing to spend on units. But 5 man units are pretty imune to typhons and the like. You know, it's totally meh and unpleasent to waste shooting at 5 men units.. but once you touch an engaged opponent, each 5 men unit will have 25 ap 4 attacks.. after hitting and wounding it's still 8 dead 4+ figures with a pretty good chance to overrun..

If you face a 4+ army at a 2500+ point level it might be worth a try to field them as msu. That's what their fluff describes them as well. Usually in HH marines were fighting guard and guardalikes, legionaires were kinda rare.. vs guards, reavers are ace, just because of the chainaxes..

Think of Mal with orbital rite.. chainaxed reavers in drop pods. Put a fire raptor or two on top plus a bit of flying or skimming antitank and you have a pretty nice anti 4+ list..

Beside the axes.. you better do what hesh suggested and call the experts for a job, like support squads.

Let reavers charge out of reserve/after deepstriking/outflanking and I guess they would be a pretty popular choice with jump packs or dreadclaws. The latter risky, but worth it if you can pull it of from time to time. If the claw scatters too far, simply stay inside.

Justaerin, Deepstrike for free without scatter. Would see the field a lot more often.

Reroll reserves for all units not just the boots.

Cancel heavy support depending on fast attack choices in our RoW.

All together this would make the SoH a pretty great army with a cool RoW.

Ok, so Athrawes is letting me take the Justaerin at a 70 point discount (215 points for a 5 man TDA command squad, down from a 285 point 5 man Justaerin 5 man squad). I'd like to run the first list to make the most of the Merciless fighters rule - plus I need some AA in the form of the Mortis contemptor because Athrawes has some flyer elements.

So here's list 1.1:

Orbital assault RoW

HQ

Maloghurst

Justaerin (5)

Elites

Apothecary

+ AA, PS

Mortis Contemptor

+ dread drop pod

Troops

18 tactical marines

+ swap bolters for ccws, Sgt w/AA/PS, vox bearer

10 Reavers

+ 7 chainaxes, Sgt w/AA/PF, 2 Melta guns, 2 power swords

+ Dreadclaw DT

5 support marines

+ 5 Melta guns

+ legion drop pod DT

Fast Attack

5 Seeker marines

+ 5 combi plas

+ legion drop pod DT

Heavy Support

Kharybdis Drop Pod

2100 points (actually it's a few points under it, like 2097 total)

So I added a vox to the despoiler squad, a couple of power swords to the Reavers, and AA and a power sword to the Apothecary. I misjudged the original point cost of the Justaerin because I forgot to add the cost of a chainfist and 25 points instead of 15 for the multi Melta.

The plan is to drop the Melta support squad, Kharybdis, and contemptor in first to get a base to be aggressive. The contemptor sets up turn 1 shooting stuff, and will use his Helical array T2 for incoming flyers. The Melta squad nukes a valuable tank or LR. The Kharybdis lands somewhere safe, but within range for its missiles and assault T2.

On T2, if all my rolls are successful, the reavers drop in their Dreadclaw, close to assault T3. The Seekers pod in and plasma storm any TEQs. And the Justaerin teleport, using the vox to home in.

Bing bang boom, home by Christm- I mean Sangunalia.

Edit: wait can the Contemptor mortis take a pod or no? If not I'll have to drop him for a regular contemptor and move points around. Only issue is then I'll have no AA except for the Kharybdis.

Edited by depthcharge12

Ok, so Athrawes is letting me take the Justaerin at a 70 point discount (215 points for a 5 man TDA command squad, down from a 285 point 5 man Justaerin 5 man squad). I'd like to run the first list to make the most of the Merciless fighters rule - plus I need some AA in the form of the Mortis contemptor because Athrawes has some flyer elements.

So here's list 1.1:

Orbital assault RoW

HQ

Maloghurst

Justaerin (5)

Elites

Apothecary

+ AA, PS

Mortis Contemptor

+ dread drop pod

Troops

18 tactical marines

+ swap bolters for ccws, Sgt w/AA/PS, vox bearer

10 Reavers

+ 7 chainaxes, Sgt w/AA/PF, 2 Melta guns, 2 power swords

+ Dreadclaw DT

5 support marines

+ 5 Melta guns

+ legion drop pod DT

Fast Attack

5 Seeker marines

+ 5 combi plas

+ legion drop pod DT

Heavy Support

Kharybdis Drop Pod

2100 points (actually it's a few points under it, like 2097 total)

So I added a vox to the despoiler squad, a couple of power swords to the Reavers, and AA and a power sword to the Apothecary. I misjudged the original point cost of the Justaerin because I forgot to add the cost of a chainfist and 25 points instead of 15 for the multi Melta.

The plan is to drop the Melta support squad, Kharybdis, and contemptor in first to get a base to be aggressive. The contemptor sets up turn 1 shooting stuff, and will use his Helical array T2 for incoming flyers. The Melta squad nukes a valuable tank or LR. The Kharybdis lands somewhere safe, but within range for its missiles and assault T2.

On T2, if all my rolls are successful, the reavers drop in their Dreadclaw, close to assault T3. The Seekers pod in and plasma storm any TEQs. And the Justaerin teleport, using the vox to home in.

Bing bang boom, home by Christm- I mean Sangunalia.

Edit: wait can the Contemptor mortis take a pod or no? If not I'll have to drop him for a regular contemptor and move points around. Only issue is then I'll have no AA except for the Kharybdis.

In OA lists he can, IIRC, he can take a legion drop pod as well. Would save you 30 points to spend elsewhere.

Pretty friendly list IMO. Would be fun to play against an no "uff". Your main target should be anything with sunder, as quadmortars, deredeos or achilles will kill your little transports faster than one might think. Deploy on one flank and use enemy units and terrain as a LOS shield to reduce incoming fire. 

Still, I don't like seekers at all. If you want to play friendly, that's cool, but otherwise they are rather bad. You could get a deathstorm pod and up the justaerin. Would be my choice ;)

So maybe run a plasma suicide squad?

They don't have a 2+ reroll able against one unit, but they're cheaper, get to shoot plasma every turn (though they'll likely not survive), and can score. Saves me about 50 points too.

I guess I could model them as Seekers, and run them as a plasma squad.