[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Completely different idea for an unbound list.

4x

Legion Praetor, Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Digital Lasers, Meltabombs, Jump Pack, Cloaking Array, Void Shield Harness 4x265

2x

Legion Praetor, Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Digital Lasers, Jump Pack, Cloaking Array, Void Shield Harness 260

7x Quad Mortar

2x3 Praetors form a unit, both units got one praetor without meltabombs. The Quad Mortars focus on the Vindicators, after that on the TFCs. The two praetor units deepstrike from reserves, as 2x3 units. The turn they arrive (close to the lascannons) they all use their cloaking array. Next turn they charge and try to engage at best 2 units. Even with overwatch, the enemy has to pass 3 void Shields, but will take down only 2 at best I'd suggest (only devastors and melta command squad or TFC can hurt the voidshields, the vindicators should be dead turn 2). The remaining void shields will keep me save from all bolters and grav weapons, even overwatch, and then 15 St5 ap2 attacks will cut his army apart. With 12" through jump packs I will propably catch his whole army.

Even if he wins by missions, I will be amused that he can't do much and see his uber-army beeing totally helpless. I even thought about adding a warhound, just due to voidshields and reserve him for alpha strike.

Nice idea I think to leave a very bad taste in his greedy little mouth. :D

Wait, so you're using more than one of each relic and making a 30k list unbound? Unbound is one thing, but you're literally breaking the rules by taking more than one of each relic. This is a 30k tactics thread and this adds nothing to the discussion.

Do what you like mate but please make a new thread if you want to do crazy 30k unbound ideas with illegal relics etc...

Edited by Marshal Loss

Yea just going to say that unbound lets you break all the rules and restrictions on list building;

"The Unbound method is the easiest way to organise an army: simply use whichever units from your collection you want. Besides being a quick way to get your models

on the tabletop, the Unbound method also allows you to try out exciting combinations in your army, such as fielding a whole force of Tanks or Flyers, or even of special characters"

"Every army has a Primary Detachment. If you organise your army using the Battle-forged method, whichever Detachment contains your Warlord is your Primary Detachment. If you used the Unbound method, then once you choose your Warlord, every model in your army that has the same Faction as your Warlord is considered to be part of the Primary Detachment for all rules purposes. Of course, in an Unbound army, these models are not bound by any Detachment restrictions and do not receive Command Benefits."

No where there does it give permission to break restrictions on access to wargear or the Unique rule

Yeah, if you're going for unbound, give all the Preators a Warp Shunt Field and a Nanyte Blaster.

Hide them away to weather the Alpha Strike then Shunt close to them and Nanyte Blast Them. If you're lucky, they're all piled up nice and close and they all suddenly vaporize.

At this point, its less tactica and more How Cheesy we can get using Unbound :\

Might as well just take a Glaive and as many Typhons as you can physically fit into a list at that point.

Unfortunately you are right. Tried to get a chance with a regular armylist, but with the cheese around in 40k, it seems 30k just cannot compete and is really just all about internal 30k balance. Won't post non 30k related stuff again, promise :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys !

Being very interested in the Heresy, I should have my first game in the next month with a friend lending me 2k of Sons of Horus in a 2v2 5k points game. I've been following the Tactica threads for a while, but is there anything I should know to make sure I don't dishonor the Warmaster ?

Cheers !

I came up with a SoH 2000 point list that uses their special units to full effect, though I don't utilize their RoW. Here's what I came up with:

HQ

Legion Champion (147)

+ Primus TDA, MC power fist, combi melta

Maloghurst the Twisted (140)

Elites

4 Justaerin (298)

+ 3 power fists, 1 chain fist, 4 combi meltas

+ Dreadclaw DT (100)

Troops

15 Reavers (406)

+ Chieftain w/AA/PA/MB

+ Jump packs, 2 power swords, 1 power fist, 11 chainaxes

20 Despoiler marines (275)

+ replace bolters with ccws

+ Sgt w/AA/PA/MB

Heavy Support

Spartan Assault Vehicle (325)

+ Flare shield, dozen blades

Sicaran battle tank (175)

+ sponson las cannons

Predator (135)

+ Executioner cannon, sponson heavy bolters

Total - 1999 points

Plan goes like so: the 20 marines with maloghurst pile into the Spartan, they serve as a fearless blob of doom with lots of attacks to grind the enemy down. Though they can't score, they're there to tie up units for obnoxiously long periods of time :)

The 15 Reavers jump in conjunction with the Spartan and use it for cover as they move up to bully units and drown them in attacks. The Champion and Justaerin hop in the pod together and fly in towards the enemy's biggest unit. If there's a loaded Spartan, they nuke it with their combis, and then assault the contents for S9 goodness.

The Sicaran is there to kill other medium armor and provide a bullet magnet so everything else can get across the board. The Executioner sits pretty on a hill and rains AP2 death on the enemy so that the list's lack of cc AP2 is made up for it.

Thoughts?

I like it, to me it seems very small but I'm just not used to heresy, and few, big units make use of the I1 attack rule well. Big fan of the justaerian inclusion too.

You have enough threats to lay down the hurt, obviously things like a Typhon won't be fun but they aren't for anybody. Justies can combi and chain it though.

Cool :)

Yeah the plan was for the Justaerin to be a heavy unit that can nuke heavy tanks (S9 power fists on the charge anyone?) or whatever.

I don't play against Typhons in my meta and I doubt anyone would allow that sub 2500 points. It just becomes an arms race then and loses the nuances of tactical planning imho :)

Yeah the plan was for the Justaerin to be a heavy unit that can nuke heavy tanks (S9 power fists on the charge anyone?) or whatever.

I don't play against Typhons in my meta and I doubt anyone would allow that sub 2500 points. It just becomes an arms race then and loses the nuances of tactical planning imho :smile.:

It's possible to create an 1850 point list which can quickly neutralize a Typhon and it's support. An example has been spoilered for convenience. 

Maloghurst the Twisted: Rite of War - Orbital Assault

Legion Tactical Support Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]

Legion Tactical Support Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]
Reaver Attack Squad [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 2x Flamer, Melta Bombs, 3x Power Weapon, 9x Reavers + Chieftain]
Reaver Attack Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 4x Reavers + Chieftain, 5x Volkite Charger]

Legion Terminator Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Legion Terminators]

Legion Terminator Sergeant [Thunderhammer]

Deathstorm Drop Pod [Drop Pod Assault special rule, Five Deathstorm Krak Launchers]
Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [Phosphex bomb cluster, Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]
Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [Phosphex bomb cluster, Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

Total: 1850

While I comprehend your idea of a mobile mechanized force using SoH speed in conjunction with vehicular firepower it does not seem to make full use of the SoH abilities and thereby limits itself. Note I personally have played all of five games using the Sons of Horus and only one of them was with a list similar to the above. The other four consisted of a mechanized force centering around two vindicators and a landraider protecting plasma-support squads and tacticals behind them. It was entertaining against Tyranids and Daemonkin, but was utterly trashed by Eldar. 

From what little I can tell Sons of Horus demand proper placement and the speed to take advantage of that placement. Taking this in mind, it seems most of the legion vehicles and doctrines simply do not fit Sons of Horus strategies unless you are outflanking them. That in itself is a challenge as reserves are best accompanied by modifiers provided by proteuses, castellums, Damocles, and comms relays. All of these things can prove counter-intuitive to your build. 

I suggest you do not use the Justaerin at any point level below 2500. They do not appear to be meant for that level of play. Instead, I encourage you to take the Black Reaving RoW, a Delegatus or Praetor (Perhaps Loken?) and stick the Master of the Signal and some destroyers in a proteus. Then outflank your reavers into your opponent's rear. What's more, you can outflank the despoiler squad without much issue. Hopefully you find this information useful as you continue to bring the Light of the Warmaster to the fetid Imperium. 

Edit: Misspoke regarding outflanking Sicarans. Changed accordingly.

Edited by Sheesh Mode

^ Damn, Sheesh.

That SoH drop pod list is pretty damn brutal. I love it!

It has a really badass decapitation strike vibe to it that fits the legion beautifully.

@Flint13: Partial credit goes to Heshkadesh for describing a typically powerful list from his meta. I simply looked for the best means of countering that list and others like it while maintaining a general competency. 

It has changed how I view each of the legions and really renewed my respect for the FW development team. 

I agree that it's pretty good, I'd just worry about thevnerability and maneuverability of the terminators to arrive and close with the enemy. As soon as they DS, they'll get blasted off the board, and they can't move quickly.

But I guess you've got an additional 150 points to play around with :)

I agree that it's pretty good, I'd just worry about thevnerability and maneuverability of the terminators to arrive and close with the enemy. As soon as they DS, they'll get blasted off the board, and they can't move quickly.

But I guess you've got an additional 150 points to play around with :smile.:

As do I, but Maloghurst has to go somewhere and the most cost effective bodyguard are cataphractii. So either I make them a deathstar unit the list needs to come on to the board, or simply an addition that may or may not be useful. 

Edited by Sheesh Mode

But I guess you've got an additional 150 points to play around with :smile.:

As do I, but Maloghurst has to go somewhere and the most cost effective bodyguard are cataphractii. So either I make them a deathstar unit the list needs to come on to the board, or simply an addition that may or may not be useful.

Unless I'm missing something, how are you getting them on the board together? The termies can DS but Mal cannot. Is there something you will use?

There's no huge issue :) I believe you can buy a dreadclaw and swap out the terminators for 4 or 3 Justaerin so that they'd all be able to fit in with Maloghurst in the pod.

That way they're lean mean fightin machines that can hop around quickly and deliver melta blasts and S9 power/chainfist attacks on the charge.

I still like the idea of Mal in a 20 man blob. Though they won't be able to sweep, it means they have 21 for the purposes of Merciless Fighters and won't break due to Fearless.

There's no huge issue :smile.: I believe you can buy a dreadclaw and swap out the terminators for 4 or 3 Justaerin so that they'd all be able to fit in with Maloghurst in the pod.

That way they're lean mean fightin machines that can hop around quickly and deliver melta blasts and S9 power/chainfist attacks on the charge.

I still like the idea of Mal in a 20 man blob. Though they won't be able to sweep, it means they have 21 for the purposes of Merciless Fighters and won't break due to Fearless.

The challenge is making space for the additional 95pts to provide the Justaerin mobility. At which point the list dynamic changes. Perplexing.