[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

While I agree email replies are extremely fickle and should more or less be ignored, I don't think stating the email was whiny is fair, factual or constructive. You can't see exactly what he wrote in full but from what we can see it looks reasonable enough, nothing whiny about it.

In regards to the actual discussion, I don't really mind where they end up as I have no intention of spamming them anyway. But I would much prefer that Iron Havocs and Siege Tyrants do not share the same slot. If Siege Tyrants stay Heavy Support and Iron Havocs became elites (or Tyrants were given a rule meaning they could never be in a slot other than Elites i.e. not be able to be spammed in PotL, maybe something to do with arrogance), then that would at least reduce the competition in an already extremely competitive slot while stopping them from being abused.

Edited by Fenbain

That email would be worthless even if it didn't start with a whiny leading email. "Oh I am just so hurt and angry and upset like an actual iron warrior, and if you tell me what I want to hear I'll spend all this money wink wink". Unlikely to fly in my area, especially given FW designer comments on this topic which trump email guys any day of the week.

There's the other side of it to consider, too, that this is only relevant if you intended on spamming missiles and heavy support. In which case I'm playing 6 reductor medusas every time, all the time... do you really want to turn your local meta into that? You don't, you really don't.

It didn't start with a whiny leading email, I simply asked a question.

Bit black and white in view no? Perhaps I don't want to spam missiles - I don't do spam. I asked because it'd be nice to run an elite force. I'm working on ec and iron warriors shattered legion so running pride of the legion would enable me to run siege tyrants, Phoenix terms and vets alongside my breachers as troops.

It also frees up a slot for my achilles alpha in heavy support. Hardly a cheese spamming monkey really :pleased

The other part of your argument doesn't work as there aren't any models for siege tyrants yet. What are the fw designer comments on the topic?...

You both replied as I was typing - typical ;)

Edited by 01RTB01

You can equivocate on whether it was whiny, but it was most certainly leading. They sell Cataphract terminators, and they sell Cyclone missile launchers.  They may not have unique models for Siege Tyrants exactly, but they do sell the products the author is saying they want to spend all this money on but only if it doesn't upset them on the inside.

The game developers have stated at one or more recent FW Open events during Q&A sessions that yes, they did mean to make them heavy support.  That is as much hearsay and non-binding as an email, but I'll take that over emails still.

Also, if you want to run siege tyrants and phoenix terminators and vets and breachers and shattered legion HQs, etc, you've probably already have 2500-3000 points worth of stuff, and it sounds like you need the elite slots more than the heavy support, so the slot change should work in your favor. 

Again, it's literally a non-issue unless your plan is to take max heavy support, and then more heavy support as your troop choices.

Edited by Terminus

Terminus is correct in that Forgeworld have confirmed at an Open Day that they intended the change for balance purposes (only one to my knowledge, but who knows). Forgeworld have also confirmed that Cyclone missile launchers for Termimators have been designed and will be in production before long, though take that with a grain of salt as we haven't seen them at an Open Day yet. Edited by Fenbain

They only sell cyclones for the contemptor...though I'd love to see cataprachtii with them. XD

I wish they sold cyclones for the contemptor... or rather, I wish contemptors could take cyclones. I think it would give the Mortis a new lease on life to have just that bit of extra firepower. Those giant things being mere havoc launchers makes me sad.

You can equivocate on whether it was whiny, but it was most certainly leading. They sell Cataphract terminators, and they sell Cyclone missile launchers. They may not have unique models for Siege Tyrants exactly, but they do sell the products you're saying you want to spend all this money on but only if it doesn't upset you on the inside.

The game developers have stated at several recent FW Open events during Q&A sessions that yes, they did mean to make them heavy support. That is as much hearsay and non-binding as an email, but I'll take that over emails still.

"Hi there,

I'm just wondering if iron warriors siege tyrant terminators are an elites choice or heavy support choice please. In the age of darkness legions book, they're listed as an iron warriors unit that are elites but in their own page, heavy support. Can you please clarify?"

That's what I sent, neither whiny, leading or otherwise.

Ultimately it needs addressing in an faq as we don't have 100% confirmation. Fw don't sell cataphractii cyclones and the contemptor ones are far too big.

If games developers have discussed it, fine but an faq would resolve this nonsense. Normally I agree with you Terminus but not keen on your attitude on this one.

That email would be worthless even if it didn't start with a whiny leading email. "Oh I am just so hurt and angry and upset like an actual iron warrior, and if you tell me what I want to hear I'll spend all this money wink wink".

The first email talks about being upset and how traumatizing it would be to spend money on the wrong resin dollies.

Terminus being hyperbolic and nasty? Didn't you recently get a talking to about that?

That first email would be worthless even if it didn't start with a whiny leading request. "Oh I am just so hurt and angry and upset like an actual iron warrior, and if you tell me what I want to hear I'll spend all this money wink wink". Unlikely to fly in my area, especially given FW designer comments on this topic which trump email guys any day of the week.

There's the other side of it to consider, too, that this is only relevant if you intended on spamming missiles and heavy support. In which case I'm playing 6 reductor medusas every time, all the time... do you really want to turn your local meta into that? You don't, you really don't.

That is a very important point Terminus is speaking of. You can't really want the same dynamics we have in 40k.

If we would spam again rokkits our opponents will respond. And then again we do.

And so on and so on untill it's not about style and cool looking armies anymore. Just having the biggest beatstick.

I for my Part hated the Royal Rumble 40k had become and that was one of the main reasons I went for HH.

So.... Why did I yelled 'yes' like a mad men then?

For me it's all about flexibility. In my armies I have one or two spare Elite Choices but no room for another Support.

I field one HSS with CHOOOM CHOOOM POWER, one unit of 5 Tyrants and one Basilisk usually. Sometimes I switch the CCP for a Vindicator. If Tyrants now become Elites again, I could field all four pieces in one army. That'd make me happy. Not for some MORE POWAAA nonsense but just my love for that models.

Hi all, I used to have a 40k iron warriors back in the 3.5 ed days but when that book sunk so did my interest in the legion. Recently what with the amazing 30k releases I can feel the iron within me calling once more. What I would like to know though is what units are seen as being the most iconic ones for the iron warriors and what synergises really well in an army. How do they play on the battlefield and are there many options to morph that somewhat. I really like infantry, terminators and walkers so any guidance is appreciated!

Welcome Brother.

You can play what ever you want to play. That is the biggest asset of playing in the HH.

You like infantry? Hello Nurse. It works just fine for us.

You like Terminators? We have several options at our disposal to make them work as well. You can make them Troops by choosing the correct Rite of War or you could take the special character Golg.

Even our Primarch loves Terminators and give them the abillity of Deep Striking.

And walkers are amazing anyway so again:

Welcome Brother, you gonna have a rotten totten good time. ;)

Edited by Gorgoff

Hi all, I used to have a 40k iron warriors back in the 3.5 ed days but when that book sunk so did my interest in the legion. Recently what with the amazing 30k releases I can feel the iron within me calling once more. What I would like to know though is what units are seen as being the most iconic ones for the iron warriors and what synergises really well in an army. How do they play on the battlefield and are there many options to morph that somewhat. I really like infantry, terminators and walkers so any guidance is appreciated!

Welcome Brother.

You can play what ever you want to play. That is the biggest asset of playing in the HH.

You like Terminators? We have several options at our disposal to make them work as well. You can make them Troops by choosing the correct Rite of War or you could take the special character Golg.

Even our Primarch loves Terminators and give them the abillity of Deep Striking.

Welcome Brother, you gonna have a rotten totten good time. :wink:

Thanks Gorgoff! - It's good to know that I won't feel boxed in to a playstyle. I'm really struggling to get my head round what's best to run in troop choices, anyone with any suggestions?

Iron Within, Iron Without!

Welcome Brother.

Welcome Brother, you gonna have a rotten totten good time. ;)

Thanks Gorgoff! - It's good to know that I won't feel boxed in to a playstyle. I'm really struggling to get my head round what's best to run in troop choices, anyone with any suggestions?

Iron Within, Iron Without!

When ever I have that problem I take two ten men squads in a Rhino. Plain and simple. They do what they should do: jump on objectives

Ashc,

If you're just getting into 30k and enjoy terminators and infantry, you might want to take a look at pride of the legion rite of war.

It moves terminators and veteran tacticals to compulsory troops and let's you start playing games quickly. It also scales well from smaller starter games, adding on as you improve.

Anyone had a go with Golg and the Orbital Assault rite of war?

A few units of Tyrants and Terminators with combi's deep striking in with support from a Lightning could be fun. Tactical support units in Drop pods for some heavy firepower.

Might be fun for a game or two to surprise the regular opponents who would be expecting vehicles and artillery.

Ashc,

If you're just getting into 30k and enjoy terminators and infantry, you might want to take a look at pride of the legion rite of war.

It moves terminators and veteran tacticals to compulsory troops and let's you start playing games quickly. It also scales well from smaller starter games, adding on as you improve.

Thanks flint13, it sounds like it could be a good place to start!

Anyone had a go with Golg and the Orbital Assault rite of war?

A few units of Tyrants and Terminators with combi's deep striking in with support from a Lightning could be fun. Tactical support units in Drop pods for some heavy firepower.

Might be fun for a game or two to surprise the regular opponents who would be expecting vehicles and artillery.

It's incredible with IW because Perturabo lets you roll for reserves from Turn 1.

So you can basically have your entire army in thier throat turn one.

Hi everyone!

So, i've made up my mind on the legion to play in horus heresy and... Iron warriors are the way for me!

I'm a big fan of Iron Fire RoW, but i don't know how to use it at its best (without being OP, italian metagame is quite relaxed :p)

I hope i can find some help here!

P.s. oh, and i'm searching for a paint scheme with airbrush for IW

Edited by ThatMetalhead

Hi everyone!

So, i've made up my mind on the legion to play in horus heresy and... Iron warriors are the way for me!

I'm a big fan of Iron Fire RoW, but i don't know how to use it at its best (without being OP, italian metagame is quite relaxed :p)

I hope i can find some help here!

P.s. oh, and i'm searching for a paint scheme with airbrush for IW

Welcome fratello. ;)

First of all I have to say that The Ironfire is one of the most potent RoW there is. Really cool and has the potential to ruin the game for all of your friends :D

So keep that in mind whenever you build a list around it.

That said let's have a look how to use it.

You need two elements in your Ironfire list.

One fast one with the big guns.

Artillery is a no brainer. Basilisks, Medusas Thudd Guns- you name it. They'll all work and you should take a couple of them for your list.

The second Part is even more important. You need some units who can close the distance to your foe rapidly because they 'carry' a bubble around 'em where you gonna hit with the big guns. Think of Outriders, squads in Dreadclaws, Land Speeder, Trikes and so forth.

I've tested them all and they all work fine but I my experience a Dreadclaw is king.

It comes first turn.

A squad (Veterans!) comes out of it and causes mayhem

and in the next turn you have to units which produce said bubble of auto hit madness.

Nice explanation on how to get the most out of iron fire, very useful Gorgoff!

What do people make of breacher squads? They look a little over costed for what they can achieve but put to the right purpose they seem like they could be a good choice?

They're look a little over costed for what they can achieve.

Sorted that for you!

Basically they can take Grav Guns, which is cool. But a lot of points for them to do that.... And without some sort of forward deployment it won't get you far with 18" range.

Keep them for ZM.