[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Thanks Gorgoff! And what about scout squads? Good forward pinpointers maybe?

I've always loved the idea of a Recon Team with shotguns and melta bombs clearing out enemy trenches and calling in artillery support. No idea how it works in game but the mental image is great! :P

Thanks Gorgoff! And what about scout squads? Good forward pinpointers maybe?

Since I never tried them out it is a simple theoretical from my side. ;)

Ok, first of all I think they're to expansive for that kind of mission.

But more important is the fact that they're pretty slow and can't re-position. You can infiltrate in most games 18" in Front of the enemy and maybe scout to 12".

Maybe!

But you need 6" and that is the difficult part.

Sure, you can walk another 6 inches in your turn, but that only works if you got the first turn.

The units I meantioned earlier are way better in doing just that. They are fast, flexible (deep striking Dreadclaws) and more durable.

Of course, like I said, that are just my 5 Cents.

Hi,

I'm just starting out with Iron Warriors for the new year (I think, that's the plan anyway).

I've been reading through the recent posts here and there is some interesting stuff.

One thing that struck me is how much people are reading into things said at events. Having been to all of the Heresy Weekenders I can tell you that what one person says isn't what someone else will tell you (or even the same person at another event). Alan Bligh sat and told a large group of us how the difference in drop pod rules from 40K was a deliberate design mechanic at the 2015 Weekender. This year having changed them to match the 40K rules (forcing units to disembark) he sat and told people that it was an oversight and should have always been that way. I'm not sure how much is individual error or how much is changes in design philosophy behind the scenes but I've learned never to put much faith in what people say.

Likewise I never put to much faith in emails from Forge World customer services. Fantastic guys but I don't know how official anything they say is and again is frequently contradicted by official FAQ and releases.

When rules are contradicted in the same publication (like the FoC spot for Siege Tyrants) I don't mind which way you play it as long as we agree up front. Gaming is a social event for me so I'm looking for everyone involved to have fun.

Onto more Iron Within matters, I'm looking to make use of those Cortex Controllers that IW can access. I love the Mechanicum look for 30K and some oath bonded Battle Automata are right up my street. I'm think a Warsmith with Iron Circle and some Castellax for my starting ZM force is where I'm going to go to start.

Any other recommendations ?

Aren't Lascannons way to expensive?

I'd go for Auto Cannons.

On Iron Havocs they're well worth it imo. BS5, -1 to cover, and re-roll 1's To Hit in a bastion with an ammo dump and you're good to go! Your mileage may vary of course. :P Edited by IronDrake28

Shame they can't take Culverins.

150 points to give everyone lascannons seems a bit steep.

Honestly with BS5 and tank-hunter, the free autocannon option is probably best, as it allows you to glance to death anything up to AV13 through sheer weight of fire. With an ammo dump, a squad of 10 is doing ~6.4 glances on average to an AV13 target (i.e. a knight).

Missile launchers getting all three missiles for 5 points is probably about right, because none of the missiles are particularly good at their job. The S3 frag missiles bounce off of the infantry, the S8 ap3 anti-tank missile is decidedly mediocre, and the anti-air has poor S and rate of fire (although -1 to jink helps). Still, there is something to be said about flexibility.

Where did you get S3 Frag Missiles from? They're S5.

And with S8, even though its Ap3, you're denying any PA marines you shoot at their Armour and FNP saves while also permitting the squad to glance Av14 albeit unreliably and only through glances.

With Flakk being S7 and most flyers Av12 or lower, you're , at worst, glancing on a 5 to shoot them out of the air.

But... but... Auto Cannons look so cool. :wink:

I have an Idea.

My army is loosly based on the 77th Grad Battallion, where Ed O'Ross.... ehrm Kyr Vhalen :wink: is chief in charge.

So, if I take him one unit gets to re-roll to hit roles of one. Perfect for BS5 Havocs. And you don't have to buy an ammo dump. One question remains though.

Which Warlord Trait does he get?

Obviously he is a Warsmith and they have Shatter Defence, but in his rules he has his own.

Edited by Slipstreams

Unlike Heavy Support Squads, Iron Havoc models can individually choose their heavy weapons, rather than choosing one to apply squad-wide. I'm yet to find a reason to do so, but the option is there.

Edit: autocannon are a very underrated choice. Cheap as chips, even for HSS, but on Havocs they are amazing. +1 BS and Tank Hunters for the same price is so good!

Edited by Caillum

Yeah I think autocannons are a great gun. S7, 2 shots and tank hunter is a good profile for targeting anything up to AV13, whether on the ground or in the sky.

Trying to chase AV14 with this unit is a fool's errand in my opinion, given that other than the occasions janky Proteus spam list, al AV14 you will face will be sporting a flare shield. So you would need lascannons just to scratch your target on a 6, and at that point the unit is a super expensive and juicy target for pretty much everything.

I've seen a few lists where they did half autocannons and half missiles, but not sure how that would perform. You're essentially weakening your output against ground targets but improving ability to harass fliers.

Why not take both?

Two squads of Havocs. One with Rokkits and one with Auto Cannons.

Yeah, it's more expensive but you ga in more flexibility and your opponent has to deal with two units instead of one big juicy squad.

Missiles are uniquely useful in Havocs because they get Flakk Included - use that info as you will :P so they're pretty good all around with them...

If you aren't expecting any flyers though, and already have Anti-Spartan Solutions (which, you should) Auto-cannons are the best hands down. Shred anything AV13 or lower.