[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

I'm currently starting my IW, and I've decided on using the Ironfire Rite of War with Kyr Vhalen. But I don't want to go too OTT with the artillery and end up losing friends :P. So, at 2500pts, are 6 quad mortars w/shatter shells and 2 Medusas considered too much? (No Phosphex, to clarify.)

I'm currently starting my IW, and I've decided on using the Ironfire Rite of War with Kyr Vhalen. But I don't want to go too OTT with the artillery and end up losing friends :tongue.:. So, at 2500pts, are 6 quad mortars w/shatter shells and 2 Medusas considered too much? (No Phosphex, to clarify.)

That is still pretty insane. Fluffy, but insane :P

Really, it depends on your meta. The Ironfire is god damn strong as hell and due to the nature of stacking large blasts it will probably lose your friends regardless.

It has weaknesses (orbital assault, recon company with certain legions etc) but it's rather nasty.

....Especially when you bring Ordo Reductor allies for another artillery battery that can use Phosphex round as well as normal ones O.O

Well, if you're playing with friends, it's probably best to discuss it with them a bit first :) To me, it sounds a bit much, and I also think it's a bit of a shame to spam so many times the same things (even if it is most effective), but if your friends give you the go-ahead that shhould be okay. If they don't, well, it's not the end of the world, and you might have saved a good deal of money on Forge World models that your friends would never accept to play against :)

Damn...oh well, I suppose I'll have to turn up the banter level to counteract the cheeseness.

I'm doing it because the fluff of it is badass as hell, the fact that it's OP is unfortunate. :(

Edited by IronDrake28

Honestly, the thing that I've found to make an Ironfire list "too much" is the number of templates rather than the potency.

Even our resident iron warriors player was like "man, I'm tired of placing four templates per mortar" after about a half dozen games.

It's like the theoretical 300 rending, fearless cultist horde. Looks ok on paper, but hella inconvienent for both sides on the table top.

So after little bit of fiddling, I've came up with this:

HQ

Kyr Vhalen

Command Squad (3 Men)

1 w/ with Banner and Power Fist

2 w/ with Power Sword, Charger, and Shield

All w/ Melta Bombs

Legion Champ

Artificer Armour

Refractor Field

Thunder Hammer

Volkite Charger

Elites

Apothecary (For Vhalen's squad)

Artificer Armour

Power Sword

Volkite Charger

Apothecary ×3 (For Tac Squads)

Bare bones

Quad Mortar ×2

Shatter Shells

Quad Mortar ×2

Shatter Shells

Troops

Tac Squad (20 Men)

Artificer for Sarge

Vexilla

Nuncio-Vox

Tac Squad (20 Men)

Artificer for Sarge

Vexilla

Nuncio-Vox

Tac Squad (20 Men)

Artificer for Sarge

Vexilla

Nuncio-Vox

Heavy Support

Land Raider Achilles-Alpha

Basilisk ×2

Total = 2335/2500

So I have 165pts left to spend, any suggestions? Also, any alternatives to the quad mortars, if 4 (5 if you count the achilles) is too much?

First, I'm curious to your choice of basalisks over medusas. You have plenty of points to make the upgrade and str10ap2 is a world of difference to str9ap3.

Second, 5 quads isn't the worst thing, but I guarantee you're going to be tired of placing and scattering and leaving tokens for 20 individual templates after yur first few games. Practically speaking, between that and the three 20 man tactical squads, both you and your opponent are going to be left a little fatigued.

The last issue we run into is the single land raider. At 2500pts, any competently built list can kill a single land raider easily. We need to look at giving your opponent more dangerous targets.

Edited by Flint13

First, I'm curious to your choice of basalisks over medusas. You have plenty of points to make the upgrade and str10ap2 is a world of difference to str9ap3.

Second, 5 quads isn't the worst thing, but I guarantee you're going to be tired of placing and scattering and leaving tokens for 20 individual templates after yur first few games. Practically speaking, between that and the three 20 man tactical squads, both you and your opponent are going to be left a little fatigued.

The last issue we run into is the single land raider. At 2500pts, any competently built list can kill a single land raider easily. We need to look at giving your opponent more dangerous targets.

Basilisks look cooler. :P To be fair if I could take more than one artillery tank squadron I'd just take 4 basilisks and not take mortars at all.

I love that you're using Basilisks - not so much in gaming terms, but they bring back memories of Iron Warriors using them in 3.5 CSM for me. Iconic tank for the Legion.

As for the list, how are you going to deal with an opponent using a Spartan or a generally tank heavy army, or an opponent with flyers/drop pods that negates your range? You have a ton of S8 & 9 firepower but nothing that can actually explode a vehicle, let alone deal with the kind of flare shielded monstrosities that can run around in 30k.

If you play against opponents that basically only use infantry, the list will be fine, but otherwise it's a very static force with some resilient but impotent blobs and artillery that will reduce most infantry to ruin but struggle with most other lists.

EDIT: I'd like to say that Flint makes some excellent points in relation to simple game enjoyment, exactly the same reason why I don't run masses of infantry blobs & artillery in my DG, but that varies from person to person so your experience may be different

Edited by Marshal Loss

I'm currently starting my IW, and I've decided on using the Ironfire Rite of War with Kyr Vhalen. But I don't want to go too OTT with the artillery and end up losing friends :P. So, at 2500pts, are 6 quad mortars w/shatter shells and 2 Medusas considered too much? (No Phosphex, to clarify.)

6 quad mortars is top notch dickery lol. :D

They'll be fine. The question is can you handle all those templates?

Also random tidbits:

The Castellax math above forgot tank hunter. Phosphex rounds are not barrage when fired by medusas.

Edited by Terminus

Guest uk_crow

Fellow Warsmiths, I'm just getting back into the hobby with 30k Iron Warriors and I must admit I'm slightly stuck on where I should go with my army in the future, I don't want to buy loads of models and then realise that they don't play well to the IW's strength.

My starting force is currently:

Centurion/Praetor - cataphractii TDA, combi melta, chainfist

2 x 15 man tactical squad - artificer armour and power fist on sergeants

Next I'm planning on getting 3x quad mortars as they are fluffy as anything and I'm hoping provide great fire support, but after that I'm slightly at a loss. 2x 20 man tactical squads with apothecaries or running 3x 10 man squads in rhinos? Massed armour? More infantry support like Iron Havocs/Siege Tyrants? Researching of IW lists they seem to fall into the trap of huge blobs of infantry with ordnance (an awesome image in my head) but lacking high strength weaponry to take out  heavy armour and other threats.

The idea of a 10 man siege tyrant squad with infantry support is quite appealing but don't want to fall into the trap of a predominantly slow moving infantry army that struggles against heavy armour lists.

TL:DR going forward what do you think are strong starting choices for a well balanced yet fluffy IW army?

Hey! I want to start a terminator heavy army (2000-3000 pts) and I'm lookimg for advice. I was thinking about 10 siege tyrants+siege breaker (obvious) and 2x ten man tartaros squads with fists and two reapers footslogging. In higher point games I want to use Primarch to deepstrike them. Is it aviable tactic?

Hmm you'd have a cool army! But be at a bit of a disadvantage with little access to any firepower beyond combi's

That said - Assault Squads do get Stubborn and Furious charge in enemy deployment with Pert around, so he can certainly keep them around for a long time.

Pop in jump apothecaries and that could work :)

I know NOONE who uses Armoured Ceramite. That is an urban legend. ;)

I don't know how many times I had that conversation.

"Armoured Ceramite?

-Nope,too expansive.

Ok, so two D6.... BOOM here goes my Dynamite." :)

Same with Flare Shields by the way.

Terminators only sounds like an awesome looking army which is easy to transport and fast to paint.

Do it.

Edited by Gorgoff

Given Perturabo gives all Terminators Deep Strike from Turn

1, you could use a different RoW like "Hammer of Olympia". Split the force into an armoured column and an assault force.

For the armoured column, take a Damocles to boost Reserves rolls, 3 Tactical Squads in Rhinos, and some Predators and Vindicators (or whatever floats your boat).

For the assault force, take Siege Tyrants and a Siege Breaker, Perturabo and some Legion Terminators with combi-weapons, and a Fire Raptor. 83% chance for each of them to arrive on Turn 1. Should be able to make it work at 3k points.