++ Pit of Pestilence - A Death Guard Community ++

The fact your guys can survive alot of pain through feel no pain is really worth having to strike last, just sucks we did not have access to the death guard 30k power scythes as they would be nice much better than normal power axes. . A Biomancy sorcerers could be nice especially with warp speed to raise his I up so he strikes faster

Double post but has anyone read the awesome short story Exocytosis???

THE STORY

Having long been hounded across the galaxy by the Dark Angels, First Captain Typhon of the Death Guard has limped his fleet to sanctuary in Segmentum Obscurus - as a guest of the separatist Luther of Caliban, no less. On the world of Zaramund, long a symbol of brotherhood amongst the Legions, Typhon begins to suspect that a new form of corruption has followed him out of the wider war. Will he embrace it, or escape into the darkness once more?

Written by James Swallow

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/exocytosis-ebook.html?utm_source=BlackLibrary.com&utm_campaign=e9a88027b3-2016-12-19+Digi+Monday+Advent+day+19&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_781f7c7929-e9a88027b3-110898689 it is a Death Guard story, one which I have waited for since I first read the Flight of the Eisenstein and was left wanting since it dealt with the loyalist Garro and not the true sons of Mortarion. I wont say much but it is pretty awesome as Typhon finally embraces his destiny and begins the dark path leading to him becoming Typhus the Herald with the first seeds of corruption sown in his own legion. Hopefully this means that the heresy novel which actually deals with the death guard falling to Nurgle wont be far away as it certainly left me wanting more

Edited by teutonicavenger

I played a 3000 point game recently with Deathguard.  We played with 2 book mission at the same time.

List:

Combined Arms Detachment (Alpha Legion)

• Sorcerer - ML2, Spell familiar, Terminator Armour, The Mindveil
  • Chaos Cultists 
  • Chaos Cultists
  • Heldrake 

CSM Death Guard Vectorium (Everything has MoN and VotLW)

• Chaos Warband 
    • Typhus 
    • Chaos Bikers - 2x Meltagun 
    • 10x Chaos Space Marines - Rhino,  Meltagun, Lascannon, Meltabombs
    • 10x Chaos Space Marines - Rhino,  Meltagun, Lascannon, Meltabombs
    • 10x Chaos Space Marines - Chaos Rhino,  2x Plasma Gun, Meltabombs
    • 5x Chaos Terminators - 3x Combi-melta, Chainfist, Powerfist
    • Havocs - 4x Autocannon
    • Havocs - 4x Missile Launcher
    • Sorcerer - ML3, Bike, Spell familiar
  • Lord of the Legion (170pts)
    • Chaos Lord  - Bike, Blight grenades, Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Sigil of corruption
  • Cult of Destruction 
    • Obliterators 
    • Obliterators
    • 3x Obliterators  
    • Warpsmith
  • 5 xChaos Spawn

Opponent's list (approx)

Dark Angels

• Single Demicompany with Grav and plasma cannon
  • Knight (12 shot gun)
  • 2 black knights
  • Samuel
  • 5x dual heavy bolter skimmers
  • 2 dark shrouds
  • Silence Squadron

Some notes:

• Basic marines are now great (everyone knows this)
  • I added a lascannon to some of them, because it seemed like something that could be useful.  It gives me something to shoot while taking a forward position and it's not that expensive compared to a melta or plasma.  
  • I'm undecided if 10 CSM is too many or not.  I really like that heavy weapon in there and I don't really want to pay an additional "sergeant" tax or rhino tax, so I think I'll continue with them at that size in normal sized games.
  • In very large games, it's sometimes hard to get all your things where you want them, so my marines ended up hanging out in the back.  When my spawn and terminators all died, it seemed like it was over, but out popped 3 marine squads and 10 havoks were still alive, which end up having extreme staying power.
  • The bike lord and sorcerer went with the spawn.  
  • The AL sorcerer and Typhus went with the terminators.  This was a great unit.  It moved 11" on turn 1 and assaulted some black knights (ouch on 7 hits with BS2 overwatch, but all saved thanks to Inv saves + FNP + reroll 1s)
  • I'm not sure if the sorcerer or a Lord is a better choice in the terminator unit.  Probably stick with the Sorcerer for now (he rolled on Telepathy btw)
  • Speaking of the AL detachment, the 2 cultist units infiltrate and really aren't a tax at all when takes an AL CAD.  This detachment is going to be in most of my games (not necessary the heldrake).
  • Obliterators were good, but that's a super expensive formation that probably gets cut first in lower point totals.
  • I would like to try out 3x mutilators (as a combat unit instead of terminators) at some point.
  • I still think spawn are better than bikes (5 with meltas cost 6 more points).  You're at least more likely to get cover saves with spawn than you were before.  I should probably test out depending on the opponent.
  • Havoks were really nice to hold the backfield.  I'd like to try lascannon ones (for only 20 more than missiles).  The autocannons didn't do much, but the missiles were able to take out the plasma cannon devastators in turn 1.
  • I did get pretty lucky spawning in a daemon prince at exactly the right time to deal with Samuel and the command bike squad, but with the detachment bonus rolling, you have a minimum 44% chance to spawn one in a 5 turn game (10 rolls) (edit - mixed up the rules, but probably was still okay at that point Turn 5)

Overall, love the changes.  This feels like a Deathguard army should; so much better than it was when just running Traitor's Hate.  I can probably cut things down fairly easily to get to 1850 point and still feel good about the list

Edited by Nameless

I played a 3000 point game recently with Deathguard.  We played with 2 book mission at the same time.

List:

Combined Arms Detachment (Alpha Legion)

• Sorcerer - ML2, Spell familiar, Terminator Armour, The Mindveil
  • Chaos Cultists 
  • Chaos Cultists
  • Heldrake 

CSM Death Guard Vectorium (Everything has MoN and VotLW)

• Chaos Warband 
    • Typhus 
    • Chaos Bikers - 2x Meltagun 
    • 10x Chaos Space Marines - Rhino,  Meltagun, Lascannon, Meltabombs
    • 10x Chaos Space Marines - Rhino,  Meltagun, Lascannon, Meltabombs
    • 10x Chaos Space Marines - Chaos Rhino,  2x Plasma Gun, Meltabombs
    • 5x Chaos Terminators - 3x Combi-melta, Chainfist, Powerfist
    • Havocs - 4x Autocannon
    • Havocs - 4x Missile Launcher
    • Sorcerer - ML3, Bike, Spell familiar
  • Lord of the Legion (170pts)
    • Chaos Lord  - Bike, Blight grenades, Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Sigil of corruption
  • Cult of Destruction 
    • Obliterators 
    • Obliterators
    • 3x Obliterators  
    • Warpsmith
  • 5 xChaos Spawn

Opponent's list (approx)

Dark Angels

• Single Demicompany with Grav and plasma cannon
  • Knight (12 shot gun)
  • 2 black knights
  • Samuel
  • 5x dual heavy bolter skimmers
  • 2 dark shrouds
  • Silence Squadron

Some notes:

• Basic marines are now great (everyone knows this)
  • I added a lascannon to some of them, because it seemed like something that could be useful.  It gives me something to shoot while taking a forward position and it's not that expensive compared to a melta or plasma.  
  • I'm undecided if 10 CSM is too many or not.  I really like that heavy weapon in there and I don't really want to pay an additional "sergeant" tax or rhino tax, so I think I'll continue with them at that size in normal sized games.
  • In very large games, it's sometimes hard to get all your things where you want them, so my marines ended up hanging out in the back.  When my spawn and terminators all died, it seemed like it was over, but out popped 3 marine squads and 10 havoks were still alive, which end up having extreme staying power.
  • The bike lord and sorcerer went with the spawn.  
  • The AL sorcerer and Typhus went with the terminators.  This was a great unit.  It moved 11" on turn 1 and assaulted some black knights (ouch on 7 hits with BS2 overwatch, but all saved thanks to Inv saves + FNP + reroll 1s)
  • I'm not sure if the sorcerer or a Lord is a better choice in the terminator unit.  Probably stick with the Sorcerer for now (he rolled on Telepathy btw)
  • Speaking of the AL detachment, the 2 cultist units infiltrate and really aren't a tax at all when takes an AL CAD.  This detachment is going to be in most of my games (not necessary the heldrake).
  • Obliterators were good, but that's a super expensive formation that probably gets cut first in lower point totals.
  • I would like to try out 3x mutilators (as a combat unit instead of terminators) at some point.
  • I still think spawn are better than bikes (5 with meltas cost 6 more points).  You're at least more likely to get cover saves with spawn than you were before.  I should probably test out depending on the opponent.
  • Havoks were really nice to hold the backfield.  I'd like to try lascannon ones (for only 20 more than missiles).  The autocannons didn't do much, but the missiles were able to take out the plasma cannon devastators in turn 1.
  • I did get pretty lucky spawning in a daemon prince at exactly the right time to deal with Samuel and the command bike squad, but with the detachment bonus rolling, you have a minimum 44% chance to spawn one in a 5 turn game (10 rolls)

Overall, love the changes.  This feels like a Deathguard army should; so much better than it was when just running Traitor's Hate.  I can probably cut things down fairly easily to get to 1850 point and still feel good about the list

Was the DA demi-company in rhinos? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a lot of good targets for the autocnanons, which is a shame.

How would you get 2 rolls on the Boon table each turn? I know you get to roll twice with the detachment bonus, but you'd have to be winning a challenge every turn, right?

Was the DA demi-company in rhinos? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a lot of good targets for the autocnanons, which is a shame.

How would you get 2 rolls on the Boon table each turn? I know you get to roll twice with the detachment bonus, but you'd have to be winning a challenge every turn, right?

Ahh darn.  You're right.  My book wasn't here yet and I was adding that formation bonus from Traitor's hate as well. I had thought it was part of the warband rules.  I don't think it would have changed the final result though.

Yeah, the demi-company was in rhinos.  The autocannons did blow up one, but the others were counter deployed, so didn't have range or LOS.  The funny thing is that that unit probably secured the most maelstrom points because I kept getting the objective that they were sitting on so they never really moved (there were 2 nearby objectives, but there was never a reason to move.)

Ahh darn.  You're right.  My book wasn't here yet and I was adding that formation bonus from Traitor's hate as well. I had thought it was part of the warband rules.  I don't think it would have changed the final result though.

Yeah, the demi-company was in rhinos.  The autocannons did blow up one, but the others were counter deployed, so didn't have range or LOS.  The funny thing is that that unit probably secured the most maelstrom points because I kept getting the objective that they were sitting on so they never really moved (there were 2 nearby objectives, but there was never a reason to move.)

Fair enough, don't sweat it - to err is human! Or as close to human as us blessed by the Plaguefather can be...

On a different note, I was thinking of making a log of my Death Guard as they are built and painted, I'm doing a lot of kitbashing and minor conversions so it should be cool. I was wondering where I should post the progress though? Here? Or is the hobby part of the forum a better place for it?

So I have a question regarding Typhus in Death Guard army,

Traitor Legion Sup states that all units in Death Guard must take MoN.

But Typhus' plague zombies can't take options.

Does that mean Typhus can't make zombies out of cultists in Death Guard's Lost and the damned formation? (other than using Poxwalker)

Edited by Hezirah

Does that mean Typhus can't make zombies out of cultists in Death Guard's Lost and the damned formation? (other than using Poxwalker)

I feel like you could argue both ways.

- Typhus can't make them zombies because they have to take MoN.

- They can't (and thus don't have to obviously) take MoN because Typhus made them zombies.

Definitely needs a FAQ but I'd say RAI you should be able to turn them into zombies.

Ahh darn. You're right. My book wasn't here yet and I was adding that formation bonus from Traitor's hate as well. I had thought it was part of the warband rules. I don't think it would have changed the final result though.

Yeah, the demi-company was in rhinos. The autocannons did blow up one, but the others were counter deployed, so didn't have range or LOS. The funny thing is that that unit probably secured the most maelstrom points because I kept getting the objective that they were sitting on so they never really moved (there were 2 nearby objectives, but there was never a reason to move.)

Fair enough, don't sweat it - to err is human! Or as close to human as us blessed by the Plaguefather can be...

On a different note, I was thinking of making a log of my Death Guard as they are built and painted, I'm doing a lot of kitbashing and minor conversions so it should be cool. I was wondering where I should post the progress though? Here? Or is the hobby part of the forum a better place for it?

I would very much like to see such a thread. There was a similar thread about slaanesh which I enjoyed, it's always good to see peoples kit bashes and conversions and paints schemes.

Does that mean Typhus can't make zombies out of cultists in Death Guard's Lost and the damned formation? (other than using Poxwalker)

I feel like you could argue both ways.

- Typhus can't make them zombies because they have to take MoN.

- They can't (and thus don't have to obviously) take MoN because Typhus made them zombies.

Definitely needs a FAQ but I'd say RAI you should be able to turn them into zombies.

Simmilar thing popped up when the dex came out. Increasing the unit was a nono because of the 'cant take upgrades' thing.

Hey guys, I'm planning on starting a 40k death guard. I've purchased the burning of prospero box for 30 MK 3s. Any ideas for "modernizing" them for 40k. Is there any way to do the nurgle look without all the bloated marines? Any ideas aside from greenstuff?

Also any ideas for what models to use for plague zombies?

Edited by ThatOneMarshal

Hey guys, I'm planning on starting a 40k death guard. I've purchased the burning of prospero box for 30 MK 3s. Any ideas for "modernizing" them for 40k. Is there any way to do the nurgle look without all the bloated marines? Any ideas aside from greenstuff?

Also any ideas for what models to use for plague zombies?

Paint job emphasizing tarnished and rotting looks.  Go a little deeper on the weathering if you have to, or use corrupt oils and pus to leak from the joints like The Cleaved.  You could even do a Dagoth Ur withering look, or even vampiric. 

I have to go find my old Plague Marines or end up converting one squad into three for the formations by kit-bashing two vanilla squads.  Which basically, and thankfully to jeske in his wisdom, settles my Legion selection to a Death Guard Warband.  That only took 9 years. 

Haven't played with my deathguard in a long time but these new rules make me want to kill some tau again :)

Do we really need rhinos now that we can essentially spam plague marine tier toughnnes units? I never got around to painting my rhinos due to playing multiple legions and not wanting to spend so much on just 35pts transports...

I allways used to play plague wall/spear, with lots of rhinos but now I'm thinking about a base of 3x 10 MoN marines with lascannons/missilelaunchers just waltzing up the field along with terminators and oblits.

Thoughts?

When it comes to rhinos, I will just copy what someone from dakkadakka wrote on the subject:

"Rhinos are pracially indespensable kit for Death Guard infantry. Plague Marines can laugh off small arms fire all day, but there are still a lot of weapons that will ignore your 3+ save and your high toughness. These weapons can wreck your army pretty quickly.

Rhinos will perform 3 functions for you:

1. Mobility - 12" move with a 6" Flat Out. Positioning is the key to 40k, and an 18" move on Turn 1 can fix mistakes you made in deployment, surprise your opponent or jump on objectives early. If you're playing Maelstrom of War missions, this is even more important. Plague Marines can walk and shoot at the same time but not run. Less time traveling means more time fighting.

2. Protection - Metal bawkses are an armored shell that can save you from getting wrecked by heavy artillery early in the game. A battle cannon or earthshaker can make a squad of Death Guard marines combat ineffective in one hit. Or it can take a hull point off your Rhino. Death Guard may be able to severely mitigate small arms fire but a Rhino effectively makes it completely ineffective. Also, Rhinos are large enough to block LoS. You can't shoot what you can't see.

3. Cover - From now on, think of Rhinos as mobile terrain. Your Rhinos will be destroyed, that is a fact. But that's a good thing for you. Wrecked vehicles become difficult terrain. Difficult terrain confers 5+ cover. This is good regardless, but Vectorium units get Stealth against shooting from further than 18". A squad of Death Guard in a wrecked Rhino is damned hard to get rid of. Throw in ObSec and a Death Guard Vectorium marine squad with a Rhino is the best objective holder in 40k by a long shot".

Despite the advice I'm giving I'm planning on playing a game on Monday with 50 footslogging marines. I think footslogging havocs and Marines would work if you could get the lost and the damned formation for on the go cover from intervening models.

I'm struggling with 1500 Vectorium atm. The Warband is sinking so many points!

I know I want a beastly Daemon Prince (mace, wings, psyker) as well as a biker lord with spawn retinue. Id actually like to run more spawn units as well but after adding a couple rhinos to the chaos marines and a few combis on the terminators I'm all out.

Does that even work? Or do I need to suck it up and go 2k so I can bulk the units out properly... Id like this force to be a small conversion/hobby opportunity believing Nurgle to be one of the easiest armies to do that with - so I need enough dudeskies in the field to actually do work on :p

Same boat here. At 1500pts. I'm struggling with the vectorium.

The warband or the colony take up all the points.

Anyone have any ideas? I was wanting to go bike and havoc heavy. But trying to do so leaves me with very little units and no vehicles.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

I'm just doing it for logistics, but I'm only doing this hobby wise. Much like X-Wing, I don't have the energy or time (sprinkled with social anxiety) to play it.

That being said, plague colony with a foot lord in 3 rhinos floats my boat really well.

1850 Vectorium W/Warband I managed to:

+ 3 Bikers, 2 flamers
Champion takes power weapon and melta bombs
​
+ 5 Havocs, 2 autocannons, extra weps
Rhino, dozer, dirge

+ 5 Havocs, 2 autocannons, extra wep
Rhino, dozer, dirge

+ 10 CSM, 1 auto, 1 melta, extra wep
Rhino, dozer, dirge

+ 10 CSM, 1 auto, 1 melta, extra wep
Rhino, dozer, dirge

+ Lord, bike, Plaguebringer relic, blight nades, Sigil of Corruption
(goes with spawn)

Lord of the legion
​+ Daemon prince, wings, mace, ML3, familiar

​Aux
+ 5 Spawn

​All nurgle, all votlv

​it relies heavily on obsec (4 rhinos, 30 marines, 3 bikes, lord w/spawn, 3 termis) and the famed DG durability. I've gone with power weapons on the Champions to get value out of the double boon rolls and melta bombs to assist with anti tank. If anything is getting into CC, well, the cheap +1 attack from extra CCW should help them pull through at their lower initiative.

​For havocs I didn't go overboard on heavy weapons as it's cursed painful to lose 30+ point models at first casualty, and only two can fire from a rhino regardless.

The daemon prince is stupid expensive at 335 points, but I couldn't stop myself.

​Edit: I reckon a *stronger* list would definitively be to take min CSM and go ham on T6 bikes and spawn, get a couple sorcs for spells and have at it, but I already have a bike army and want something different :)