++ Pit of Pestilence - A Death Guard Community ++

Im trynna do a simmilar thing but for my Word Bearers, but kinda like midway between a normal Contemptor and the Possessed one. Unfortunatly Ive had a major brainfart and done nothing except stare at bits for the past few days.

This thread should pick up soon, Im repainting my entire Nurgle army for the ETL so Ill be around a lot more.

You get spare Nurglings in the Plaguebearer box, not sure if the Nurgling box has any, its been a while since I bought any. Oh you also get a few nice ones in the Glottkin set as well.

Yeah Nurgling box does have some spare ones left over used some from both the plaguebearers and Nurgling box, I love those kits plenty of good conversion material I always have a couple boxs spare just for crazy projects like the dread

edit :whistling: :wallbash:

Edited by teutonicavenger

• 6 months later...

Well since Death Guard got arguably one of the best legion rules with feel no pain and relentless my dream of a full infantry Nurgle force has taken hold once again. The plague colony looks interesting but unfortunately since it requires 7 plague marine squads plus typhus it seems quite bulky compared to the Warband which seems more like the better choice for the objective secured especially since our basic infantry have been elevated into almost plague marine status (we can have plague marine terminators :D )

My plan take a Warband with multiple havocs and plasma gun CSMs and Chosen to really benefit from the relentless (it just sucks we can't take fortifications through the detachment) what's even more is that awesome all Nurgle bikers now have feel no pain :D the only problem is the AUX choices since there doesn't seem to be a cheap AUX tax choice like the spawn from traitors hate (well it's a bit hard to work if there is or not)

I can't seem to work out what a good yet not too expensive choice will be as I am wanting to max out the Warband but probably won't have much points left over for AUX. Any suggestions on which AUX would work best alongside a infantry heavy Warband as I would really love to get the detachment benefits of re roll all 1s for feel no pain as well as the stealth against shooting from a certain distance

Here's what I've been thinking AUX-wise:

Helforged Warpack
Pros: Reasonably cheap at 410pts, Warpsmith can shatter enemy terrain so your plasma guns won't be neutered by cover saves, gives the army a bit of armour to go along with all of the durable footsloggers.
Cons: Doesn't really benefit from the detachment special rules

Lost and the Damned
Pros: Quite cheap to take at minimum 305pts, could go super silly and take Typhus in the Warband and take max Cultists for ENDLESS OUTFLANKING ZOMBIE SWARMS
Cons: Dark Apostle tax, esp. if you make the cultists zombies, he doesn't have much to do. Formation really wants to be maximised for full effect which doesn't help budgeting, cultists don't have VotLW so they miss out on a fair bit of the best stuff.

Raptor Talon
Pros: Once again, pretty cheap for the base formation, depending on Chaos Lord upgrades. The added durability of the detachment means the Raptors are likely to stick around awhile and mitigates the Disordered Charge problem a bit, plus RELENTLESS makes those special weapons all the more effective.
Cons: Doesn't really *feel* right for Death Guard, bad scatters on deep strike could mess it up.

Terminator Annihilation Force
Pros: Toughness 5 FNP (re-rolling 1s) terminators goes a long way to making them feel as durable as they should feel, plus T5 mitigates one of the usual ways of killing them off (volume of basic [str 4 and lower] fire).
Cons: A pretty expensive formation, though you do get terminator armour for free on the lord/sorcerer. It's also at the mercy of reserves rolls, at best it's coming down on turn 2, but it could very well be later.

There's other formations available, but I think the above are the best options to supplement a Warband. I think the Heldrake Terror Pack deserves a quick mention though, for being cheapish base (340pts) and providing decent access to flyers that's otherwise unavailable. That said, I think if you wanted flyers you'd do better to attach a Wing of Hell Talons instead.

Personally I'm leaning towards the Helforged Warpack in the short term, but I just know I'm going to do the Plague Zombies thing one of these days. The potential to reenact the Walking Dead during a 40k game is just too good to pass up!

Edited by Chunk

Im debating between death guard and emperors children right now. Other than the daemon weapon, the relics seem "meh." i dont see myself wanting to take the plague colony formation either. The full 7 units of plague marines is just too big for not-great-imo benefits. The minimum is probaly fine though and solves one of the issues ive always had with plague marines (i3).

That being said, i like the nurgle lsyker powers alot. T7 bikers, whaaaat?

Im currently trying to decide if t5 fnp 5+ rerolling ones is better or worse than t4 4+ fnp, but having to buy an icon. On the one hand, the 4+ is more likely to succeed, but t5 also makes it more likely the fnp wont get canceled, AND npt having to worry about an icon.

The daemon weapon on a nurgle prince seems stupid good too. With his better than average strength, most times, the poisoned 4+ is basically "shred".

Also typhus > lucius imo

And mortarion > fulgrim

Wouldn't the bikers be T6?

I think DG made out like bandits in this one. The detachment basically makes them Iron Hands with the ability to spam zombies. Their Psychic powers may get :cuss down by the Psychic juggernauts but other than that they have a great selection of ability. The relentless stuff and FnP make them actually useful in an era where having power armour means very little. Add in the toughness bonus and I think they appear to be massive winners in this supplement.

I think DG made out like bandits in this one. The detachment basically makes them Iron Hands with the ability to spam zombies. Their Psychic powers may get :cuss down by the Psychic juggernauts but other than that they have a great selection of ability. The relentless stuff and FnP make them actually useful in an era where having power armour means very little. Add in the toughness bonus and I think they appear to be massive winners in this supplement.

T6 normally, 7 with the payker power that adds 1 to their toughness.

If the marks were free for each legion, id agree in a heartbeat, but mark of nurgle is expensive.

I do like relentless though. Even havocs become a threat in cc. Shoot their autocannons then charge afterwards to wipe up! The -1 i really hurts, but i guess if youre focusing on low i stuff like fists and such its probably fine.

Im just trying to decide between death guard and e kids as they both seem amazing to me.

Well we do get spawn as an aux choice as well so fufilling the detachment is much easier max out on a Warband with all the goodies :D our legion rules are good though the relics arnt that great with the plague bringer being the real best one though I'd probably take a pandemic staff for nostalgia reasons :D Edited by teutonicavenger

Ninja'd Edited by Cryptix

This bears clarification though:

Poxwalker Hive (20) at start of each turn FnP to friendly cultist w/in 7”. can’t run or shot rest of game but have FnP & fearless.  & D3 cultists come back to life; 

To me if this is every turn a different Cultist squad gets D3 back that's actually quite good. But I don't understand the Fnp... I guess they don't get FnP because they can't get VotLW and if you didn't take Typhus, then this would be good? 

So you just give this to your Dark Apostle and you're good to go. 

Plaguebringer (35) AP3 poison 4+ deamon weapon

Yea, this on a Sorc DP is interesting... what if you hit a Stormsurge with this? I guess it would lose the re-roll to wound because of GC rules?

Too bad but otherwise I think this makes a DP worth landing instead of just jinking, and summoning/casting. 

Playing Death Guard seems to be a natural evolution for me, being an Iron Hands player.

So thinking of allying some skitarri for more negative toughness modifiers. That in conjunction with the new Colony formation might be pretty brutal!

How would this sound for a Death Guard force, I am trying to mimic the 30k Reaping aspect with lots of infantry which benefit greatly from our new rules

Death Guard Detachment everything has MON and VOTLW

Core

Warband

Chaos Lord

Bike, power fist and lighting claw, aura of Dark Glory, blight grenades and melta bombs

Chaos Sorcerer

Lv 3 psyker, power sword and force axe, sigil of corruption melta and blight grenades, spell familiar, gift of mutation

3 bikers

2 melta guns

6 Chosen

4 plasma guns, lascannon, Rhino, champ with powerfist

10 chaos space marines

2 plasma guns, Bolters and CCWs, Rhino

10 chaos space marines

7 Havocs

4 lascannons

7 havocs

4 missile launchers

7 havocs

4 missile launchers

AUX

1 Chaos Spawn

Not my usual play style but a all infantry for sounds fun with a couple squads in rhinos it just sucks we can't take plasma cannons : D as that would be awesome especially with in the plasma chosen. Sorcerer goes with Chosen I know a lascannon is a random choice for a plasma gun squad but being relentless is awesome so having one actual heavy weapon is cool whilst looking awesome and the lascannon helps with more AP2 at Str9 Which I can fire on the move:D just a shame we didn't have access to an armour or daemon aux choice as I could of easily found the points for one to add as the spawn is just a cheap tax so I can get the detachment bonus. I'm also tempted to drop the bikes for raptors or Warp talons as having T6 is cool bikers arnt really my thing sontgr raptors and talons would lead more to the infantry feel

How would this sound for a Death Guard force, I am trying to mimic the 30k Reaping aspect with lots of infantry which benefit greatly from our new rules

Core

Warband

Chaos Lord

Bike, power fist and lighting claw, aura of Dark Glory, blight grenades and melta bombs

Chaos Sorcerer

Lv 3 psyker, power sword and force axe, sigil of corruption melta and blight grenades, spell familiar, gift of mutation

3 bikers

2 melta guns

6 Chosen

10 chaos space marines

10 chaos space marines

7 Havocs

4 lascannons

7 havocs

4 missile launchers

7 havocs

4 missile launchers

AUX

1 Chaos Spawn

Not my usual play style but a all infantry for sounds fun with a couple squads in rhinos it just sucks we can't take plasma cannons : D as that would be awesome especially with in the plasma chosen. Sorcerer goes with Chosen I know a lascannon is a random choice for a plasma gun squad but being relentless is awesome so having one actual heavy weapon is cool whilst looking awesome and the lascannon helps with more AP2 at Str9 Which I can fire on the move:D just a shame we didn't have access to an armour or daemon aux choice as I could of easily found the points for one to add as the spawn is just a cheap tax so I can get the detachment bonus

If you're wanting armour, you could drop the Chosen and one of the Missile Launcher Havoc squads and pick up a Helforged Warpack. Now that Helbrutes have 4 attacks they're not too bad, and one of them gets to have a 4+ invulnerable!

Alternately, if you can find another 50pts, you could go 2 Maulerfiends + Helbrute - have the Maulerfiends rush up the field with your rhinos to put some early pressure on.

Core

Warband

Chaos Lord

Chaos Sorcerer

3 bikers

2 melta guns

6 Chosen

10 chaos space marines

10 chaos space marines

7 Havocs

4 lascannons

7 havocs

4 missile launchers

7 havocs

4 missile launchers

AUX

1 Chaos Spawn

Not my usual play style but a all infantry for sounds fun with a couple squads in rhinos it just sucks we can't take plasma cannons : D as that would be awesome especially with in the plasma chosen. Sorcerer goes with Chosen I know a lascannon is a random choice for a plasma gun squad but being relentless is awesome so having one actual heavy weapon is cool whilst looking awesome and the lascannon helps with more AP2 at Str9 Which I can fire on the move:D just a shame we didn't have access to an armour or daemon aux choice as I could of easily found the points for one to add as the spawn is just a cheap tax so I can get the detachment bonus

If you're wanting armour, you could drop the Chosen and one of the Missile Launcher Havoc squads and pick up a Helforged Warpack. Now that Helbrutes have 4 attacks they're not too bad, and one of them gets to have a 4+ invulnerable!

Alternately, if you can find another 50pts, you could go 2 Maulerfiends + Helbrute - have the Maulerfiends rush up the field with your rhinos to put some early pressure on.

Thanks for the advice though I would have to cut a bit form the list just to include the warpsmith plus three daemon engines that's what I was saying sucks if we could  just take one or two as a single AUX choice it would be easy to squeeze one in without cutting too much ( I want to keep the chosen as they are) unfortunately not so with a hellforge as it would be too much points that , I agree hellbrutes are better though if I was taking them it would be through the warband as objective secured would be nicer

So from what I can gather the only way of getting Plague marines into a death guard detachment is through the plague colony right??? If the Plague colony wasn't only restricted to Typhus but swappable with  a sorcerer or lord I could of seen it possibly be alright as Typhus is quite expensive even with his 4+ feel no pain. Ill probably wait till the book is in my hands to go over in detail but a Cad does sound pretty good as I could always just run it for plagie marine troopsas I still cant geyt over that they got even better unlike other cult troops as they now have a 4+ feel no pain save and are relentless so can fire bolters and plasma guns on the move and still assault which is cool, makes them even more amazing

I think the only real use for the Plague Colony is for the 7 unit gimmick... Adding a Tallyband with the Colony would provide you with bolters that cause Instant Death on regular marines. Sounds fun but pretty expensive for a gimmick. There are plenty of ways to get rid of infantry. Though it might come in handy against the new splitting horrors... Reducing toughness to zero kills the unit.

I think the only real use for the Plague Colony is for the 7 unit gimmick... Adding a Tallyband with the Colony would provide you with bolters that cause Instant Death on regular marines. Sounds fun but pretty expensive for a gimmick. There are plenty of ways to get rid of infantry. Though it might come in handy against the new splitting horrors... Reducing toughness to zero kills the unit.

Now thing of combining it with enfeeble and the Leper's curse, or some other toughness reducing effect.

INSTANT DEATHING MARINES WITH A MULTICHARGE, KILLING 3+ UNKTS A TURN

NURGLE BABY.

This bears clarification though:

Poxwalker Hive (20) at start of each turn FnP to friendly cultist w/in 7”. can’t run or shot rest of game but have FnP & fearless.  & D3 cultists come back to life; 

To me if this is every turn a different Cultist squad gets D3 back that's actually quite good. But I don't understand the Fnp... I guess they don't get FnP because they can't get VotLW and if you didn't take Typhus, then this would be good? 

So you just give this to your Dark Apostle and you're good to go. 

Plaguebringer (35) AP3 poison 4+ deamon weapon

Yea, this on a Sorc DP is interesting... what if you hit a Stormsurge with this? I guess it would lose the re-roll to wound because of GC rules?

Too bad but otherwise I think this makes a DP worth landing instead of just jinking, and summoning/casting.

The zombies sound like their normal rules via Typhus: FNP, S&P, no shooting.

I imagine the difference is they are T4, since you have to buy them a MoN for being in a DG list before the artifact can turn them into zombies.

So upon seeing the traitor legion rules I'm severely tempted to start up my death guard again. I'm just caught in a bit of a conundrum.

Do I go CAD for blight drones?

Purge for chem weapons?

Or the new detachments for bonuses and the plague colony debuffs?

So upon seeing the traitor legion rules I'm severely tempted to start up my death guard again. I'm just caught in a bit of a conundrum.

Do I go CAD for blight drones?

Purge for chem weapons?

Or the new detachments for bonuses and the plague colony debuffs?

New detachments for ridiculous bonuses, don't bother with the Plague Colony unless you already have a bunch of Plague Marine units and want to use it anyway, otherwise regular CSM with MoN are pretty much the same thing but for cheaper.

Also, can't you take Blight Drones in a flyer wing without them being in a detachment? Or did that guy lie to me about Death from the Skies?

Purge if you don't want Plague Marine tax for loading up on Chem Flamer chosen and lots of tanks to support them, detachment if you want the amazing detachment rules (reroll 1's feel no pain, stealth if shot at from 18">) and formation rules for plague marines (reduce WS, I by -1 and by T-1  in combat within 7" if start with 7 units of plague marines in formation)