++ Pit of Pestilence - A Death Guard Community ++

New detachments for ridiculous bonuses, don't bother with the Plague Colony unless you already have a bunch of Plague Marine units and want to use it anyway, otherwise regular CSM with MoN are pretty much the same thing but for cheaper.

Also, can't you take Blight Drones in a flyer wing without them being in a detachment? Or did that guy lie to me about Death from the Skies?

If I run the detachment I'm running plague Marines. No matter what I'm running plague Marines. Yeah they're clearly overcharging for them now, but plague knives and blight grenades still offer some niche uses. And I'm hoping when we get the 8th codex they'll be more desirable.

No one around me bothers with death from the skies so I wouldn't know for sure, but that sounds a lot like going unbound. Also blight drones require at least one unit of plague Marines in the army to even be taken.

Purge Detachment can't take Blight Drones (no fast attack). That's the only holding me back from using that.

Yeah that's why I'm caught in the middle. I really like blight drones, but the purge bonuses are very fluffy.

Poxwalker seems alright but I reckon it would of been awesome if it worked like Typhus's zombie rule so you made all cultist zombies.

Hmmmm so if Typhus can make all cultists zombies would that work if they are in a different detachment as it would be funny to take a alpha legion detachment of the cultist formation for infiltrating zombies that keep coming back :D

Plague skull is a RNG 8 Str 1 ap - assault large blast 2+ poisoned weapon though it is a one shot only weapon boo :(

Knell grants fear to all friendly units within 14 in addition all fear tests must be made by the enemy at 3D6

The 10pt pus cleaver has AP- which sucks but what do you expect at the cost probably only good as a cheap way of giving 2+ poisoned attacks to a daemon prince

Pox walker, plague bringer and Pandemic staff seem like good choices especially pox walker as each turn it can turn a cultist unit into zombies

I got the ebook :D

Edited by teutonicavenger

Plague skull is a RNG 8 Str 1 ap - assault large blast 2+ poisoned weapon though it is a one shot only weapon boo :sad.:

Knell grants fear to all friendly units within 14 in addition all fear tests must be made by the enemy at 3D6

The 10pt pus cleaver has AP- which sucks but what do you expect at the cost probably only good as a cheap way of giving 2+ poisoned attacks to a daemon prince

Pox walker, plague bringer and Pandemic staff seem like good choices especially pox walker as each turn it can turn a cultist unit into zombies

I got the ebook :biggrin.:

This is all right, I didn't even realize you could give Pus Cleaver to a Daemon Prince! Poisoned 2+ is ace, you'd think that wounding on 3s would mean quite a lot of wounds most of the time, but not with my rolling.

Oh, also the plague skull is range 8", so fairly easy to scatter back onto yourself.

One thing that I'm quite enthusiastic about is our expanded psychic lore, for a few reasons. One, most of the powers are WC 1, so they're easy to cast. Two, there's a WC1 power in there that gives a unit within 14" Poisoned 4+ on their melee attacks. The best part is if you already had Poisoned 4+, it goes to Poisoned 2+, which combines nicely with the Plaguebringer artifact. Poisoned 2+ ap3 Daemon Weapon hooooooooo!

I'm just fearful of the inevitable sorcerers in bike squads making themselves toughness 7, with fnp, re-rolling 1s.

Whole squads of fast relentless toughness 7 is no joking matter. Of course unless you're playing against grav, which straight up ignores one of the main aspects of the game, being the toughness value..

Hmmmmm so I may have a small campaign coming up which starts at 750 eventially getting bigger. Just coming up with ideas but what would be good for a small 750 death guard force. Since it is small points and fitting a normal cad would be hard for most armies the organisers have allowed player to use an allied detachment as the main force until the points increase so I only need one troop choice. Any suggestions on what to take I was planning on taking sorcerer probably just lv1 or 2 but unsure on what else to include. Only real restriction which isn't much of one is that I have to have 3 choices the warlord plus 2 other non hq units which be kept the whole campaign (they can change unit size or upgrades but must keep the same unit choice) Edited by teutonicavenger

Allied Detachment

Chaos Lord (1) - 172pts
    1 Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour: Power fist, Pandemic Staff, Mark of Nurgle

Chaos Space Marines (10) - 190pts    Mark of Nurgle
    1 Aspiring Champion: Champion of Chaos, Close combat weapon, Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    7 Chaos Space Marine: Boltgun,Bolt pistol
    1 Chaos Space Marine: Meltagun, Bolt pistol
    1 Chaos Space Marine: Autocannon, Bolt pistol

Chaos Rhino (1) - 35pts    Dedicated Transport
    1 Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter

Chaos Terminators (4) - 203pts    Mark of Nurgle
    1 Terminator Champion: Power fist, Combi-melta
    3 Chaos Terminator: Combi-melta, Power fist

Chaos Bikers (5) - 150pts    Mark of Nurgle
    1 Chaos Biker Champion: Close combat weapon, Bolt pistol, Twin-linked boltgun
    2 Chaos Biker: Close combat weapon, Twin-linked boltgun, Bolt pistol
    2 Chaos Biker: Flamer, Twin-linked boltgun, Bolt pistol

I just played a game against AdMech. The Toughness of the Mark was not really a factor. Grav annihilated me. Plasm Cannons... and even close combat. Since all stats were lowered I was basically slowly tasered to death.

3 Models did ALL my heavy lifting. 

And those 3 would be...

Also, yeah Grav is pretty much a hard counter to us, though the plasma is to be expected.

Well in my case it was the DP + Typhus + Sorc. But to be specific the DP and Typhus did 98.764% of the actual damage from my army. However if it wasn't for the Sorc... that Sorc saved my butt or I would have been nearly tabled in T2-3.

It's really hard to guage but I had too many 'fun things' to try... Like I never played Zombies before, but I feel comfortable with Cultsits since they are in many of my lists. However I also put the Pox thingy on the Apostle... it turned into a min sized 400ish point formation that really just got smoked in CC. It's funny how much I missed not being able to run Cultists (I mean "Run" literally).

I can't believe how crappy I am at FnP even re-rolling 1's. lol But at the same time that Grav just went right through every point dumped into the T factor, but this is nothing new. :)

The rest of the list was too small, too ineffective though. 

I just played a game against AdMech. The Toughness of the Mark was not really a factor. Grav annihilated me. Plasm Cannons... and even close combat. Since all stats were lowered I was basically slowly tasered to death.

3 Models did ALL my heavy lifting. 

I'm interested to see what you and your opponent took.

Could you post your list and whatever you can remember your opponent took? We've got a few AdMech players in my group so it'd be useful to know.

I'm just fearful of the inevitable sorcerers in bike squads making themselves toughness 7, with fnp, re-rolling 1s.

Whole squads of fast relentless toughness 7 is no joking matter. Of course unless you're playing against grav, which straight up ignores one of the main aspects of the game, being the toughness value..

Stern guard poisoned ammunition is also effective, though, remember.

Stern guard poisoned ammunition is also effective, though, remember.

Last time I checked, aren't a min squad of sternguard the same as a min squad of nurgle bikers, but then add in the cost of the sorcerer...

Something I though of if I take Typhus as part of a death guard detachment and make cultist zombies how does it work in regards to the mark of Nurgle. All of our squads that have a mark must take one right so if we have cultists and make them zombies then they can't take upgrades which the mark of Nurgle is. Probably just over thinking but does that mean we can't upgrade zombies in a death guard detachment

So since we got a boost to our resilience with both feel no pain as well as relentless would it be possible to run full footslogger like our legion fluff supports. I was also going to add a detachment of Vraks renegades as I could easily bulk up the model count with heaps of cheap squads mainly zombies

Something I though of if I take Typhus as part of a death guard detachment and make cultist zombies how does it work in regards to the mark of Nurgle. All of our squads that have a mark must take one right so if we have cultists and make them zombies then they can't take upgrades which the mark of Nurgle is. Probably just over thinking but does that mean we can't upgrade zombies in a death guard detachment

That is what it means at the moment until GW FAQ it as sadly the Marks of Chaos are currently options and Typhus' Plague Zombie rules blanket covers all options.

So, i really want to like death guard, but i'm having trouble wrapping my mind around i3 marines (why ive never taken plague marines) and i4 lords. I just don't know if the fnp 5+ and relentless are worth the -1 i. I like death guard fliff and look, but i dont think my play style fits with theirs. I generally prefer to hit an enemy quickly and wipe them out before retaliation. (i've decided to main black legion but im trying to pick a second as an opposite to a deep strike heavy black legion army (which i guess would be hard and shooty?) im currently between death guard, iron warriors, and emperors children. The big thing i like about emperors children is the icon, +1 i, and kakophani formation. Iron warriors, i like the 2+ armor, and oblits. Death guard, i like the toughness. I usually take mark of nurgle on my bikers, spawns, and oblits, but never on EVERYTHING. The fnp is good, and i can see the benefit of relentless. But the plague colony seems unimpressive, and the -1i scares me a bit.

Thoughts?

So, i really want to like death guard, but i'm having trouble wrapping my mind around i3 marines (why ive never taken plague marines) and i4 lords. I just don't know if the fnp 5+ and relentless are worth the -1 i. I like death guard fliff and look, but i dont think my play style fits with theirs. I generally prefer to hit an enemy quickly and wipe them out before retaliation. (i've decided to main black legion but im trying to pick a second as an opposite to a deep strike heavy black legion army (which i guess would be hard and shooty?) im currently between death guard, iron warriors, and emperors children. The big thing i like about emperors children is the icon, +1 i, and kakophani formation. Iron warriors, i like the 2+ armor, and oblits. Death guard, i like the toughness. I usually take mark of nurgle on my bikers, spawns, and oblits, but never on EVERYTHING. The fnp is good, and i can see the benefit of relentless. But the plague colony seems unimpressive, and the -1i scares me a bit.

Thoughts?

The thing about Death Guard is your T5, mostly T6, 3+, 5+ FNP units. Most weapons in the game are either <T4 or cost more than the marine they're trying to kill. Who cares that you swing last if they can't hurt you. Edited by Cryptix