Vykryl's Great Company WIP

Vykryl

The HF is a really nice conversion, Vykryl!!

I also like the Krakenbone sword, I was also looking at the bloodletter swords, but decided to use something larger, as I am running it on a TDA lord.

End of Line

There's always the giant chainsword further up the thread. I'm going to make a new one soon now that my bits came in. Second go around should come out cleaner.

Someone used a tyranid bone blade for their Kraken sword. Looked real good.

20141110 193744

These are the models I have vowed for the Solstice Advance. Lone Wolf Are has lost his right arm and I don't know where to look. I may shave the emblem off a pauldron so I can make him another. He is lower right leaning on his cape. Need to putty some cracks on the Dread's twin linked heavy flamer before it gets primed. Tomorrow night I will make Are's arm and prime the everyone. The heavy flamer may wait till another night.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the flash on which screwed up the color. Primer is rough, I don't do spray paint so not sure what I did wrong. Drilled the TL Flamer a 1/16 inch too high and didn't get the hole straight either.

I may give up on the ginfaxi for now. Maybe wait until I try making my own transfers to try again. Anyone have a suggestion for painting small symbols/script?

This month is a wash for working on my army. The summer and fall have been busy and I'm ready for a break.

My Pyro Dread so far

gallery_74843_8971_49701.jpg

For small symbols, I always try to draw them on faintly in pencil first before going over them with paint. Also, I try to use small geometric shapes to paint them without many angles so I can get them as even as possible each time. Also, don't be afraid to touch up the edges of "sloppy lines", because they happen and sometimes it is the only way to get something straight.

Dread doesn't look bad at all, not sure what you were concerned with. Looks like it could do with some shading (especially on the metals), but really, the thing that keeps throwing me is "Why the blue wires?" Your metallics look good and solid, but you could do a quick shade and then highlight and you'd probably increase color depth 200%.

The TL Flamer looks good, nice implementation!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

I wanted something other than more red. The blue I picked up is acting more like a wash than paint. I'm hoping when I wash it again it will tone down. The camera flash made it glow more than it really does.

I took the pic to show my cousin. Figured I'd post it to show I am working on my solstice vow.

Looks not bad so far.

For the ginfaxi, paint it in red and then come back in with the silver to tidy it up a bit.

Considering the grief I had with my runes, the other suggestion I have is very fine tipped pens, like the sakura micron pens, which come in colours like black brown blue red and green. You can use othe rfine tipped pens but be sure the ink will set on the paint and will not rub off.

With spray, shake well, and keep your distance when spraying. Also weather plays a big part in how it dries. I personally do not mind the textured finish on my models, well atleast on the vehicles any way.

Doesn't look like you have started painting the pyro arm yet, so I would take the back of the knife or a micro file  to the mould lines to tidy them up a little other than that it looks great and I am not seeing the 1/16" issue.

Last thing, the blue wires are fine, but you could maybe do with catching the connectors on the cables with some metallics, maybe a black wash and then drybrush the blue again.

A solid start to the solstice vow :)

I may do that, it would be easier to paint the red in blocks and clean up with bolt metal.

The blue was wet still so couldn't paint the connectors at time of pic, will be the brassy brass I've been using. It does need another color there. The hoses on the dccw flamer are done that way.

Think I need to drill the flamer mount a hair deeper. Doesn't look like it's flush. Maybe drill out the barrels as well. Will see what I can do about the mold lines. As far as the 1/16 bit, it's only noticeably head on with both arms straight. I'd say it's pretty good for eye balling.

Spray on primer will take some practice, can't do anything about the Lost Coast humidity though. I'll get at some point. It being rough bugged me more on the dccw arm than the body.

Good to hear from you Dantay.

Thought I had him finished then I realized I haven't painted the base. I think I am going to have to fill the flamer mount and redrill it, it bugs me more each time I look at it.  My almost completed Dreadnought.

Are

Are

Are

Are

Not the best lighting for pics but I'm ready for bed and don't care at the moment. My wife is going to draw the Ginfaxi  for me when we have a quiet night. If I can get home at a reasonable time tomorrow I will try to finish him. Need to add the Odin's Horn (my Company emblem) to his DCCW arm too.

Some where in the painting process I got distracted by the bits for a second TDA over sized chainsword. This one was much simpler than the first and came out better aligned. I like the first one posted earlier in  this thread better and may try to make another of that design at some point

Sword

• 2 weeks later...

Almost completed Wolf Lord Orm. He has misplaced his cloak so I haven't painted it. The rest of him is done though and the cloak will slide under the magnetized backpack. With him is his brother Are. I had thought to make Are a Lone Wolf but a Dreadnought makes more sense from his story (I am basing my Great Company after my favorite novel). Are secured a great treasure with the help of his son. In the process his son died and Are incurred severe injuries that left him unable to fight any longer (maimed by Byzantines in the book losing his right hand, eyes and tongue). Despite his injuries he was able to get back to Orm and disclose the treasures location. Some day I will gather bits and build a  counts as Sicaran to represent part of the horde that Are recovered and Hid away for his brothers retrieval.

Are & Orm

Got one more model from my vow completed. The three behind him are his pack mates. Need one more hammernator to complete this pack as I want it. I have a model intended for Lone Wolf status that can fill in to make the 5th guy needed to run the assault cannon, he is armed with CF/WC.

gallery_74843_8971_171366.jpg

Edit: forgot he swapped shields with the hammernator behind him for the pic. Not sure which I want on who.

Edited by Vykryl

Was thinking of getting a can of dust off to help with that. I also have issues with my spray paint primer, I don't get along with spray paint. These guys came out rough after priming. I think I've poorly primed more of my units than I got right. The dust on my desk doesn't help either.

Yes i have the exact same issue, it seems i cannot get my primer to stay in a fine layer, its seems to make tiny particles over my models which i do not enjoy, i might have to go back to brush priming, which game me excellent results but it takes a while...

Edited by Bloodzerker

• 2 weeks later...

I have a character to make and I need some suggestions. My army is themed around characters from The Long Ships. One of the main characters is Brother Willibald, a Christian priest who becomes Orm's (a Danish Viking and my Wolf Lord) adviser and spiritual counselor.

Brother Willibald will be a Wolf Priest in my army as his main skill is healing and they now have healing balms. My thought was using a Dark Angel and a bald head. Is there a better option to 40k a 1200ad Christian priest with space marine stats?

• 3 weeks later...

It's a lousy pic but I got 3 TDAWG finished. The three models in back have better pics posted all ready. The three in front complete one of the Wolf Guard packs I planned. When I get home I'll see about a pic of the completed TDAWG Pack.

gallery_74843_8971_1019908.jpg This is most of my Solstice vow, just 1 Lone Wolf to go. Going to try and embellish his beard so he fits the character he is based on.

Names in my vow changed a bit. Are was put in the Dreadnought as that fits his character in the Long Ships. Are is Orm's older brother, gone missing 15 years or so. When he arrives back home he has lost his right hand, tongue and eyes. He tells Orm he has stashed a great treasure and gives directions. Not having the ability to fight I decided to make him a Dread rather than my first plan of Lone Wolf. Part of that was trying to fit Orm's best friend and mentor, Toke Grey-Gullson, into my army. With only 2 HQ slots I had to find another place for Toke. As a strong fighter that tends to do things on his own I figured Lone Wolf would be a good place for Toke when using a single attachment. My HQ slots are field by Orm and Brother Willibald.

Brother Willibald is a Christian priest that befriends Orm and Toke. In time he becomes priest to Orm's household and Orm's primary councilor. I need a good way to represent Brother Willibald as a Space Marine.

For anyone who missed the beginning of this thread I am building my Great Company around characters from The Long Ships. It has been one of my favorite books for years and I highly recommend it. So I am trying to convert Danish Vikings from roughly 1200ad to 40k. Each of my HQ, Lone Wolf, Dreadnought, Pack Leaders will be characters from the book

Orm Far-Travelled: main character of the novel and my Wolf Lord. His path to leadership resembles that of Ragnar Blackmane.

Toke: takes Orm under his wing on his first voyage. Becomes Orm's best friend and is the comic of the duo. Has a thing for poetry. Will be a Lone Wolf in small games and a Wolf Lord when I take a second attachment.

Brother Willibald: King Herald's personal physician in the book. After the king's death Orm finds him in England, makes friends, and takes him home after the raid. Will be a Wolf Priest in my army, healing balms makes it the best fit.

Are: Orm's brother. Maimed beyond what a viking could stand. Placed in a Dreadnought so he can seek vengeance.

Olaf Summerbird: Orm's son in law. Has a knack for catching spears and accurately returning them. I put him in an AutoCannon Dread not knowing how else to show him as a spear chucker. After I paint his AutoCannons I will post him.

Rapp One-Eye: A warrior from Orm's first voyage. After many adventures Orm got them home and Rapp swore himself Orm's sword. Orm's second in command, will be a Pack Leader for a TDAWG pack. Is the TDAWG wielding the double bit axe, cover of my photo album.

Sone Sharp-Sight: a local chieftain with the gift of future sight. Sone is considered quite the man having fathered close to 24 sons and 12 daughters. Will be a Rune Priest in my army. I believe there is a blue painted Rune Priest in my photos, this will be Sone after I strip and repaint it.

Herald Ormson: Orm's eldest son. Will lead a pack of Grey Hunters.

Glad Ulf: I may have this name wrong and will check it. An orphan that saves Orm's life, afterwards Orm names him his son. Will lead a pack of Grey Hunters.

Blackhair Ormson: Orm's second son. Is quite the rascal. Will lead a pack of Skyclaws made up of a number of Sone's sons.

Before leaving to seek Are's treasure Orm visits Sone for warriors. Sone tells him to take 10 of his sons, not the oldest or the youngest. 11 choose to go on the voyage. Before they leave Sone tells them only 7 will return to him. After 4 brothers die, the remaining 7 go berserk when in combat. They say the old man always foretells the truth and the 7 can't die until they see the old man again. After returning with the treasure they head back out with Blackhair as their leader (before they can see their dad), wanting to make full use of their father's prophecy. I think these boys fit best as Claws and I've decided on Skyclaws.

Any story bits I give are paraphrase from The Long Ships. I'm not writing stories but trying to fit a long time favorite to a game I'm enjoying. Again I highly recommend reading The Long Ships

Edit: I forgot the pic

Edited by Vykryl

Looking great Vykryl!!

I had forgoten how intimidating  Rapp looked with that axe, and how imposing in general your terminators look... Its a small thing but I really like the flat look the lenses have, and they arent your normal red or blue either makes them look... menacing. That and the posing of them.

You are making me really reconsider making helmed terminators next time around. I can almost envision wolf skulls or some form of markings on the helmet, the way the light hits them... Very neat painting over all.

Keep on truckin' my friend!!

Cool two handed axe. Where are the bits from?

What is your main color, some kind of metall? Looks good.

Are your marines Space Wolves, or some lost Company?

The axe is made from a Dark Angel halberd (arms and axe are a single bit), cut off the axe head and turn the pommel into a stub. Cut the shaft of 1 TDAWG frost axe just above the hand. Drill the left hand of the halberd to accept the frost axe shaft. Cut the head off a second frost axe and attach to the first frost axe. Cut a block off a TDAWG thunder hammer and drill to accept the nub below the halberd's right hand.

My Wolves would be more of a lost Company I guess. Orm is loyal to his king but tends to do his own thing when not under orders. I haven't read any 40k novels to know how to rewrite Orm's story to the 40k setting. If you can find a copy of The Long Ships you can get Orm's whole story, sadly it's out of print but can still be found.

My color base is Game Color's Gun Metal. Same shade as Leadbelcher. I prefer the way Gun Metal works with Nuln Oil, it goes flat while Leadbelcher gets darker.

Looking great Vykryl!!

I had forgoten how intimidating Rapp looked with that axe, and how imposing in general your terminators look... Its a small thing but I really like the flat look the lenses have, and they arent your normal red or blue either makes them look... menacing. That and the posing of them.

You are making me really reconsider making helmed terminators next time around. I can almost envision wolf skulls or some form of markings on the helmet, the way the light hits them... Very neat painting over all.

Keep on truckin' my friend!!

I don't remember why I chose the yellow. Believe I thought that Wolves have yellow eyes but now I'm thinking it's actually coyotes that have the yellow eyes. Doesn't matter cause it turned out good to me.

I used the TDA helmets because I like the look of them. Not really into the PA helmets so went with the more fantasy viking look for my Grey Hunters. As for poses, only Rapp was posed intentionally. The TDAWG looking to his right was more an accident. His head came off while stripping a bad prime job. Decided I should have him looking down his Stormbolter since the other three are looking straight ahead.

Need to get a smaller drill bit so I can pin Sone's staff as the handle fell of. Then need to strip and repaint him. Olaf needs his AutoCannons stripped but his Dread hull is about finished. May have him finished soon

Most of the modern novels describe the Wolves as having gold pinned eyes, esp. Prospero Burns, its even mentioned in the 6th Blackmane novel (Lee Lightner I think). However this was coming about more as the Wulfen rose to the surface as Madox tried to bring his curse to fruition.

For whatever your reasons it looks good :)

@wolfblade, you mean someone needs to set up a thread like the World Eaters have? 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/294527-gods-of-the-arena-world-eaters-glory-everlasting/

It would be cool to have I guess...