Vykryl's Great Company WIP

Vykryl

Who or what is wembly?.

I did a little experiment

SAM 2680

%0/50 scorched brown and red gore each model has a wash from the wash behind and then the pad has been hit with 1 layer of the red brown mix

SAM 2682

2 layers

SAM 2683

3 layers

SAM 2685

SAM 2686

SAM 2687

4 layers

Sorry for the blurry last picture, and in RL the colours look a lot darker, I need to play with this camera some more

Edited by dantay_xv

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/296905-15-shades-of-grey-p-12-bitter-betrayal-1st-time-writing/?p=3977669

You were asking about painting wood?

I am working on some tutorials and suchlike and here's a wee linkie, I thought to put it her but didn't want to take over your thread or look show-offy.

Let me know if its helpful.

I post a lot of nonsense in here all ready and the more the merrier. Thinking to try your leather shading and wood technique on another rider after my bits get in and I get some more washes ;)

Bits came in :D So I immediately forgot what I was supposed to be doing and started playing with bits of plastic. One Thunderwolf Scout rider made from Chaos Marauder head and limbs around a Space Marine Scout torso. What are the thoughts of the Aett?

1a

1b

1c

1d

I know my pics are a bit fuzzy but hopefully are good enough for some comments.

Edit: apparently my computer spells as well as I do

Edited by Vykryl

Thinking of shaving the straps on the horns. Also thought about chopping one so it looks like it broke in battle. Need to get some of the decorative bike bits to add bedrolls and other gear to the riders. Will probably strap a couple extra spears to him like the one in Dantay's pics as well.

Is the opinion horned helms and bare arms make for better wolf riders than Scout heads and arms?

I like the bare arms, I think they have leather strapping around the wrist/ fore arm which can be done in leather.

Do yo have any other helms to try out? For me I think the horns are too long, but he does look cool on the back of his mighty steed.

This one will be the pack leader. I believe his head is from a marauder champion. I have 3 other heads with shorter horns for the other riders. Unfortunately only one of those 3 have beards. The length of the horns is why I was thinking of clipping one. Maybe clip both, one short and one long?

• 3 weeks later...

I've mostly figured out Brother Willibald now. His right pauldron isn't on yet but wanted to get some thoughts on where he's at.

gallery_74843_8971_323546.jpg gallery_74843_8971_28410.jpg

A got the suggestion of Guardians of the Covenant for his chapter. Rather fits as Dark Angels and Space Wolves don't typically get along and Brother Willibald doesn't get along with Orm in the Long Ships during their first two encounters either. Orm respects the old priest's abilities as a healer while Willibald sees Orm as a heathen berserk. In time Willibald warms to Orm and becomes one of Orm's most trusted advisors.

If the rains stop I may get to prime and paint something soon. I need to complete something rather than just chopping bits all the time :D

Edit: Also ordered some transfers so I can get my company mark on everyone. Thank you to Thunder_god for this link

http://www.ginfritter.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_81&product_id=270

I ordered black ones for my troops and red ones for my priests

Edited by Vykryl

It seems I should just buy a box of Marauders as the bits are great.

A pic of where my TWC are with Marauder limbs and heads. I'm was waiting on more shields but now I need another order of heads.

gallery_74843_8971_76260.jpg

I'm starting to think I should have just gone with pure Marauder riders. Second guessing my use of Scout torsos. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The reason I need more heads is this hair brained idea to pop the Wolf Scout heads off these snipers and try some Marauder ones. Apparently I only had seven heads and this used the last of them. The 5th scout has a missile launcher and didn't make the pic.

gallery_74843_8971_56374.jpg

Missile boy has a magnetized torso so I can swap it for a heavy bolter easily (if I can ever get the arms to line up right). With the painting challenge coming up its time to prime this Scout Pack.

Also dropped several units in a soak tank so I can mod them a bit, want to drop chainswords from this batch of Grey Hunters. Will swap out their chainswords for pistols and grenades, make 1 standard bearer with a signal horn, leader will replace his plasma pistols with a combiplasma and chainsword. Have 2 Plasmagun models waiting for their pack mates to get their bath and mods. Will give me 2 packs of Hunters with most options I want. Thinking I need a power axe guy too.

My TDA Rune Priest also went in the stripping tank so he can be painted in my current scheme.

I have a very unoptimized pack of 5 PAWG that came out of a water bath tonight (Soaked in hit water to help remove purple magic stuff). 2 power axes, 1 power sword, 5 stormbolters. May change some melee weaponry and leave the stormbolters.

Edited by Vykryl

Looking good Vyk. The part I hate about ETL is knowing I have to wait to see paint on anything. Like Christmas when I was a kid...cant I just have a peak? Heh.

Anyway...Im getting some stuff ready for it also...will be the first time I have participated. Also... good luck on the marauder horsemen heads. I haunted bits sites for the last two weeks trying to get some. No luck. I caved and ordered two boxes along with some dwarf hammerer/longbeards. Should be here tomorrow!

Shaved large horns off a another fantasy Chaos head to finish the one on the right. Their storm shields already have primer so I will wait to glue until after I prime the torsos. Don't want to lose detail on the shields.

gallery_74843_8971_462839.jpg

They ended up left handed more because the pose seemed to fit rather than being planned. Do they look ok? I was thinking maybe drilling out ones hand so I could give him a pick. Not sure about them having identical axes.

TWC ar looking good.

You could always shave off the point from one of the axes and take the back spike off, maybe put a pick blade in its place? should change up the profile a wee bit.

Lot of great work here. The twin axe TWC are no exception, but probably the only thing I could offer a suggestion to improve. I don't think it's the axe's being the same so much as everything being the same (point of grip, bend of arm, etc.) I put these same axes on some Grey Hunters back in 5th. I think you can leave one as is. The other you can remove from the hand, remove the shaft from the axe head, then glue the axe head to the hand and the shaft below. I'll see if I can find that guy and put a pick up if you'd like.

Oh, and since you are taking everything off the arm you could swap a different one in.

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting impatiently for bits to arrive. I have a Skyclaw pack to assemble once their legs show up. Started working on a pack leader for them that will also play WGBL at times. He seems rather plain to me and I'm not sure what to do. The belts with knives are too large and make him look cluttered. Maybe just some grenades?

gallery_74843_8971_364526.jpg gallery_74843_8971_142562.jpg

Once I get my bits in I will make an ETL vow. I will have a pack of 7 Skyclaws, 5 Sniper scouts, Wolf priest, rune priest, and this guy that are pretty much ready for prime and paint. It's been crazy at work last few weeks. Just getting back to my normal 60 hour work week. Will have time to assemble toys and paint again soon.

Edit: kind of figured the points and will just make my vow today. Anyone have an idea to represent the Wulfen Stone on my jump pack leader?

Edited by Vykryl

The assault marine legs I'm waiting on should be in today. I'm using a couple legs from the Grey Hunter kit and maybe the kneeling legs from the Devastator kit. Started working on 3 last night with legs I had. These 7 guys aren't really Bloodclaws. They started as 11 brother's following Orm. Before they set out on the campaign their father (my vowed Rune Priest) prophesied that 7 would return hime. Once the forth brother dies they turn completely reckless and all fall before them. Here is one for an idea. How does the fantasy Dwarven axe look? I didn't get the handle set in straight. And what for heads? Was thinking beaky helms but I'm not sure about using the same head 7 times.

gallery_74843_8971_651773.jpg

And a short bit from the Long Ships.

The old man’s prophecy is fulfilled,” cried several voices. “Finn Sonesson has fallen! There is an arrow through his throat, and he is already dead! Kolbjörn, his brother, fell but a few moments ago. Four are now gone; the rest of us cannot die before we have returned home

One morning, off Ösel, they were attacked by Estonian pirates in four small ships full of howling men. Spof saw them as they emerged out of the mist, and straightway bade the men at the oars pull as hard as they could; then, as the pirates drew abreast, two off either bow, and prepared to grapple, he swung the helm smartly round and rammed one of them so that those aboard her had to pull smartly for the shore, sinking swiftly. One of the others succeeded in grappling Orm’s ship, but no sooner had they done this than Sone’s seven sons swarmed over into the pirate ship, shieldless and whooping triumphantly, and hewed about them so furiously with sword and ax that they cleared the ship of its occupants well-nigh unaided. When the other pirates saw this happen, they realized that they had encountered berserks, and rowed hastily away

Edit: a bit more from the book

They came to a place where the road forked, and one of the paths led to Sone’s house. But the seven brothers stood sourly scratching their heads. Orm asked them what might be troubling them. “We are lucky now,”they replied, “more so than other men. For we are rich and know that we cannot die before we reach home. But as soon as we see the old man again, the spell is broken, and we can die as easily as anyone else. Before we left home, we had no fear of death; but things are different now, when we have so much gold to live for.”“Then you shall come with me,”said Orm, “and join with me in my homecoming feast. You are good men, and it may be that I can find sleeping-room for you all until the spring. Then you can ride forth on a new adventure if you feel so inclined, and thus live as long as you want to

If that is your intention, come as my men,”said Blackhair. “It will not be long before Ulf and I return there.”“You are young to use the words of a chieftain,”said Orm. “You must wait awhile yet

Edited by Vykryl

I finished my Wolf Priest last night. He is my first model to get an Odin's Horn tranfer on it. Unfortunately the transfers are a bit spindly and don't stand out well. Here is Brother Willibald

gallery_74843_8971_537884.jpg gallery_74843_8971_622621.jpg

I meant to get my last 2 Skyclaws assembled last night but the evening ended before I knew it. Maybe tonight though Thursdays are set aside for family games or reading.

Looking good! By the way, I really like the sword on the WGBL you think is plain. How did you get it in the wolf head hilt so cleanly? I think it would make a good "Fangsword of the Ice Wolf" relic.

I thought of using a chain and ruby cut off of the dangly mini crux might work, although I'd like it bigger.

Looking good! By the way, I really like the sword on the WGBL you think is plain. How did you get it in the wolf head hilt so cleanly? I think it would make a good "Fangsword of the Ice Wolf" relic.

I thought of using a chain and ruby cut off of the dangly mini crux might work, although I'd like it bigger.

Very careful cutting and shaving of the wolf head to remove the chainsword and create a slot for Grey Knight blade I used. Also a little shaving of the blade to fit the notch better. I may make another one using a GK halberd blade. If I do and I remember I'll take a couple pics. The blade I used seems a bit narrow for the hilt and it's cutting edge starts at the tip of the wolf's jaws. The halberd's deepee blade should start the cutting edge closer to the knuckle guard. Don't know who will get the next one but I like the power cuttless look :D Thank you for the compliment :)

I'll figure something for the Wulfen Stone in time

Bits came in :biggrin.: So I immediately forgot what I was supposed to be doing and started playing with bits of plastic. One Thunderwolf Scout rider made from Chaos Marauder head and limbs around a Space Marine Scout torso. What are the thoughts of the Aett?

You made a noble effort in kitbashing the Chaos Marauder into a Thunderwolf rider, and I'm impressed with the amount of work you put in. I can't help but think he should be wearing power or artificer armor instead- then again, I feel naked when I wear anything but than the best armor available.

Bits came in :biggrin.: So I immediately forgot what I was supposed to be doing and started playing with bits of plastic. One Thunderwolf Scout rider made from Chaos Marauder head and limbs around a Space Marine Scout torso. What are the thoughts of the Aett?

You made a noble effort in kitbashing the Chaos Marauder into a Thunderwolf rider, and I'm impressed with the amount of work you put in. I can't help but think he should be wearing power or artificer armor instead- then again, I feel naked when I wear anything but than the best armor available.

I was having a personal issue with the PA rider and wanted to try for Scout riders. Still not certain on what I ended with. Before trying the Scout riders I'd thought about running just the giant wolves as a larger variety of Fenrisian Wolves, no upgrades of course. It's a work in progress and something to tinker with ;) Thanks for the comment :)

I'm pretty ham handed with my conversions, my only tool is a utility knife. Heres a try at showing how I made the cutlass.

Power Cutlass

The chainsword base cut down to were I want it. A pair of Grey Knight halberd blades with one shaved down to were I want it.

Power Cutlass

Cut out the chain blade from between the wolves teeth. I ended up bending the sides out with my knife and just squezed them back together after putting in a good drop of gel super glue.

Power Cutlass

Cut the blade to fit the notch you made, my notch happened to be angled. You may need to shave the blade were it fits into the notch so it doesn't spread the sides out. Once the base of the blade is thin enough to fit snugly glue it in. The gel super glue I use may have filled in any gaps to make it look smoother.

Power Cutlass

One power cutlass ready to go. Now to figure out a model to use it. The WGBL I posted early has a GK falchion blade which is longer and narrower than the halberd blade. The wider halbard blade allows for the cutting edge to start by the hand guard rather than the wolve's fangs.

While i'm cluttering my thread I should add this pic. Rune Priest Ugge and 2 of Sone's sons.

Rune Priest Sone

I got the Krom model for $15, not sure what was used to prime it. His axe was removed intact but his head, left pauldron & pistol didn't fair so well. I really need to fill the seams on the jump packs, is that better done with reguler green stuff or the liquid? 2 more Skyclaws to assemble and the pack will be finished. Hopefully tomorrow will be a short day at work and I can play with my toys in the evening.

Edit: changed this Rune Priest to Ugge the Inarticulate, another elder chieftain from the Long Ships. This model just isn't wizened enough to be Sone. Ugge has a stuttering problem when he gets excited in the book. In my 40k version I see him more like the country singer Mel Tillis, not much for conversation but steady and clear when singing. Beware when Rune Priest Ugge starts chanting and singing the runes.

Edited by Vykryl