Vykryl's Great Company WIP

Vykryl

I have been distracted the last 2 days :D Found the newest Sword of Truth book on my wife's kindle and all else was forgotten until Warheart was read. If your looking for an excellent fantasy series then find the Wizard's First Rule and prepare for a 15 novel adventure.

Along with that distraction, the tensioner pulley I my car died yesterday on my way to work yesterday. Spent the morning fixing my car and the afternoon finishing Christmas shopping and reading Warheart when possible :) 2 minutes to install the new tensioner and what felt like an hour to get the belt back on :cuss I truly believe 1 engineer from each car company should be selected at random yearly. Divide the mechanics up equally among engineers and let each mechanic take a swing at their assigned engineer. Maybe that will help fix some of the more idiotic designs and layouts :cuss :cuss :cuss

Anyway back to forum appropriate topics :) Received 10 Sons of Thor backpacks in the mail yesterday so I can complete Halle's pack of Grey Hunters. Guess that means I should assemble his drop pod too. Halle is the bare headed gunslinger a few posts up, not happy with him and could use some ideas. He's a minor character in the Long Ships with little information given. Basically he is one of the 8 survivors of Krok's voyage and that's it. Since those 8 survivors make up the leadership of my Great Company Halle gets a pack to lead.

On to my original intent for this post. Here is the dwarf pistol thing on a marine body for size comparison.

gallery_74843_8971_297585.jpg

Looks about the size of a shotgun.

Dantay, you kept part of the chain mail on the dwarf arms? I'd looked at you pics a bit but didn't notice that. I don't have a drill bit small enough for pinning power armor. Had considered using the whole dwarf forearm but thought the Chainmail would look out of place. Want to try this on my TWC riders and melee scouts now :) Still not sure about the Chainmail portion though. Need to put the scouts in my super clean tub to soak, came with a lot of old upgrade sprues and would look better bare plastic than in their current paint job.

I get you when you talk about these mechanical engineers.

Hope the car is back up and running okay.

Yep, I was just lazy and didn't have the gs to fill in under the vambrace, but arm positioning makes it almost impossible to notice.

Looking at the gun, i am still wondering if you cut just behind the first knot section (from the nozzle) you would have an effective flamer muzzle or maybe melta?

Otherwise cut as suggested and have some cool looking beer flagons for your men :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Redinventor. The scouts were easiest thing I've painted :) Only unit I was happy with on first try :D

Been burnt and wiped out lately, don't even know what I've been doing with my free time between work and sleep. Tinkered a bit today since I had the day off and almost got the gun arm straight. Only took me 4 arms to graft one straight. First 3 will be used on his body guard.

Lord Red Orm Far-Travelled almost completed. Need to pick his pauldrons still. Want to get some brass bits dantay_xv pointed me to. Has some knotwork bits that would look good on the greaves.

gallery_74843_8971_169837.jpg gallery_74843_8971_174252.jpg

Is that a storm bolter sight post grafted onto the pistol? I almost didnt catch it. I like the look of those bracers. Which kit is that from? May be an easy way to represent runic armor.

It's supposed to be a better scaled storm bolter. I grafted 2 pistols and the top of a Grey Knight wrist mounted storm bolter together to make the relic storm bolter. The bracers are from the dwarf kits.

Edit: front pic

gallery_74843_8971_101381.jpg

Edited by Vykryl

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some drive to play with my toys and work said no. I work on a flower farm and got called in to feed dirt to a planting line last Saturday. Got in and found the Skidsteer has a dead bucket, no lifting power :cuss Been feeding dirt mostly by shovel and a little help from a tractor and box scraper, better than nothing. 7 days at 10 hours a day shoveling dirt has left my hands a little shaky and stiff for playing with tiny bits of plastic. Despite that I finally got this pack assembled, though banner boy may get a magnet in his shoulder so I can drop the banner at times.

gallery_74843_8971_721136.jpg

Edited by Vykryl

Looking good, did you make a cast for all of those backpacks?

Too lazy for that. Ordered 15 Sons of Thor packs from Kromlech over a couple orders and received 20. I do have a handful of the old upgrade sprue pack, grab them off eBay every chance I get.

Think I'm a bit cracked as I'm completely magnetizing this pack. Having issues lining up the pistol hands as well, all the pistols are cocked a bit (at least it's not the ghetto sideways grip). Trying to make lefty weapons is an issue as all the small dwarf weapons are held in the right hand. Left hands are the great weapon handles with the completely wrapped handles. Guess one ended up with a power/frost axe. Here are 5 of Lord Orm's retinue with most of their arms, 3 more to make arms for.

gallery_74843_8971_419002.jpg

Anyone have any ideas for good swords that fit with the dwarf bits?

• 3 months later...

They are looking great.

Spray is so easy to use and quick too.

Did you prime it with black and then spray over with the silver. If you hold the can at a 45-60 degree angle to the model, you an get a nice preshade which will do half the highlighting for you.

Looking forward to seeing these bad boys done.

Did you locate the skull that you had been looking for.

Skull is coming in the mail ;) I prime black and coat in my metal color, dont worry about shading or highlighting. Not sure it matters as grungy as my models end up looking. Definitely prefer building to painting :D Spray does speed this up so its not so bad. Got some silver on them before i went to sleep last night. Need to paint the eyes abd trinkets now and then clean up the red and bronze.

Anyone have simple method for doing plasma coils with a heavy hand?

For plasma, all I do is paint the coils with a base color, and then dry brush the glow/OSL on. With my scheme, I found green with a yellow glow works really well. With yours, a dark blue with a light blue glow may work really well.

I didn't get as far as I wanted yesterday. Started working on the Wolf Standard and it didn't turn out so well. The troll skull looks good, the ork skull is too small. Need to find another type of beast skull or just get another troll skull. I'll upload a pic later.

So I made a new Standard out of my bits box and it turned out ok. Mostly finished the 8 marines I'd started, still trying to figure out the plasma coils. Didn't touch the 2 Hunters with meltaguns yet. Not the best pic but its something.

gallery_74843_8971_207971.jpg

Gave up on transfers after folding up 3. Tried to free hand Odin's Horn on the banner and made a mess :D think I need to start drawing again to get my hand back into practice. Been a long time since I played with a pencil.

Plaama coils I dont know about either. Something else I'm going to have figure out is dry brushing, im rather heavy handed.

Any way, I finished the pack I vowed for now. The banner may get redone if my free hand ever improves.

gallery_74843_8971_110342.jpggallery_74843_8971_108893.jpg

... I do have a handful of the old upgrade sprue pack, grab them off eBay every chance I get.

That's why I NEVER win any of the auctions for them!! :P I do have about 15 of them now, so I guess I can share!! ;)

Nice looking work, Vykryl!! Your armor color choice is great, and very unique. The banner looks great, by the way.

End of Line

... I do have a handful of the old upgrade sprue pack, grab them off eBay every chance I get.

That's why I NEVER win any of the auctions for them!! :P I do have about 15 of them now, so I guess I can share!! ;)

Nice looking work, Vykryl!! Your armor color choice is great, and very unique. The banner looks great, by the way.

End of Line

Thank you. That banner was a quick bash. Luckily I had purchased the Storwolf dodads without a plan for them and had the marine banner in my bits box :D Will finish the banner from the pic in my vow post at some point. Just need to find a good beast skull to join the troll skull I hung from it. Maybe I'll get a pic up tonight of the other banner.

I dont have quite 15 of the old sprue. Think maybe 7 or 9, so your doi g better than me their ;) I just wanted the backpacks :)

A pic of my first Standard. Even if I'd put the ork skull at a better angle, it is too puny to belong. I may add a Stormwolf chain to this one before painting, like how it worked on the new one. Another beast skull and this one is ready to paint. Now to find an appropriate skull.

gallery_74843_8971_19298.jpg

Edited by Vykryl