Vykryl's Great Company WIP

Vykryl

A good wife is a treasure, one that keeps things running when your not there to help more so.

Can I  sub wife for my roommate. I mean shes a woman who dose exactly that .... shame she plays harlequins though.

Anyway more ontopic

Yer end result has come out amazing!  Have you ever thought of maybe doing a large aircraft or tank  next? Id really love to see yer take on one of those.  

AND TO THINK THEY THOUGHT IT WOULDNT WORK THE  FOOLS ! 

LITTLE DID THEY KNOW THAT WHEN  NOT SUPLEXING TRACTORS I AM A MASTER HOBBYIST - vykryl 2015

A good wife is a treasure, one that keeps things running when your not there to help more so.

Can I sub wife for my roommate. I mean shes a woman who dose exactly that .... shame she plays harlequins though.

Anyway more ontopic

Yer end result has come out amazing! Have you ever thought of maybe doing a large aircraft or tank next? Id really love to see yer take on one of those.

AND TO THINK THEY THOUGHT IT WOULDNT WORK THE FOOLS !

LITTLE DID THEY KNOW THAT WHEN NOT SUPLEXING TRACTORS I AM A MASTER HOBBYIST - vykryl 2015

Sub in your partner in life, a good one is a blessing. My wife has some Harlequins that she hasn't started on yet. I asked if she wanted an army to paint and the only two she likes are space Vikings and space clowns :D She chose Harlequins as she doesn't want to build the same faction as me though.

I'd like to do some vehicles but think I'm going to finish the troops I have first.

Most of my Packs are mapped out now so I have an actual plan :D Wolf Lord Orm and Brother Willibald as my primary HQ choices with a pack of 8 Hunters to join 1 or both of them. I have enough other characters to make Grimnar's War Council. My Counts as Ulrik and Njal are finished and somewhere in this thread. Just got a metal Iron Priest to work on, his name is Spof (in the book he is the helmsman and guide Orm hires when he searches for Are's hidden treasure). There is a pic up of the other Rune Priest but he needs painted.

There are 7 other men left from when Orm started as a Bloodclaw. Rapp (Orm's second) and Toke (Orm's mentor) will lead TDAWG packs. Tume fell on the return voyage and is now a Dreadnought. Gunne and Halle will lead Grey Hunter packs. Grin-Ulf and Ögmund will lead Long Fang packs.

Orm has 3 sons featured in the Long Ships. Harald will lead a TWC pack. Blackhair will lead Sky Claws, this pack is finished. Glad-Ulf will lead the Wolf Scouts, Snipers finished. Also need a pack of Fenrisian Wolves to represent Orm's Irish Wolf Hounds. Orm's brother Are is a Dreadnought. 2 ancestors of Orm's are my Lone Wolves.

All this (minus the council) fits into a Company of the Great Wolf if I want to run a themed army with no real focus :D I have 3 old style Rhinos I'm working on and a new Predator. Slowly adding magnets to the Predator so it's adjustable. Also have 2 pods.

Still have 5 characters to find roles for though. Thinking Styrbjorn (Orm's brother in law) and Thorkel (Styrbjorn's 2nd) can lead the formation of PAWG and TDAWG if i make it. Olof Summerbird is Orm's son in law and needs a good role, maybe a Void Claw pack? There are 2 I don't remember that accompanied Orm on his 2nd voyage that can be given Hunter or Claw packs. Krok the Luckless may end up a counts as Bjorn, he was a newly chosen Wolf Lord that Orm started his ventures with. The fates seemed against Krock but he had success when needed and was a fierce warrior and respected leader.

Need to build some transports for my core before I start on those last 6 characters and packs. Also want a Knight to make Rolf Krake. In the book he is an ancient hero who erected a monument called the Kraka Stone the set the borders between Denmark and Sweeden. It was also a meeting place where the local tribes gathered to hold Thing every 3 years. The Long Ships is full of great stuff for building a Space Wolf army around :D

Edited by Vykryl

When I get back onshore, I'll get a picture of the Dwarf shoulder guards on a 40K scout model to give you an idea of scale (I use marauder arms for them)

Found some from my main bits supplier and ordered 2 lots, some ogre kegs :D and a couple other things I don't remember right now. I've got 10 more scouts to do and 5 for sure will be melee scouts. The last 5 I'm not sure if I should kit out, go bolters, or add to the melee or Sniper packs. Is it possible to get a heavy bolter lined up on a scout? Haven't succeeded so far :(

I apparently caught some bug while camping last weekend. Been having allergy issues and my left ear feels muffled. Not sure what's going on but it's sapped my energy the past week and I only finished the 1 rider.

Woke up this morning and found a text from cousin wanting to hang out today. Wasn't sure what he wanted to do. Ran into a buddy of his at the local store a few weeks ago who wants to start Sunday games there. Thinking my cousin was seeing if I was up for a game I finished assembling these 5 so I'd have a 2nd troop squad since 2 packs of mine are soaking and only my melta wielding pack is available to play.

gallery_74843_8971_21840.jpg

There are going to be 8, 1 with banner, to join my Wolf Lord and Wolf Priest in a pod. Not sure about special weapons on this pack yet.

Turns out my cousin wants to play Magic today. His friend is probably back on a fire line with the way California is burning this year. Maybe I'll get these painted before they want a 40k game again, probably after the rains come and fires are contained.

Who knows when they're going to be contained...we had another crop up overlooking yosemite valley a few days ago and the largest one going right now has burned 135,000 acres and as of yesterday was 35% contained. I also heard rumor that another one cropped up a little further north. =/

Who knows when they're going to be contained...we had another crop up overlooking yosemite valley a few days ago and the largest one going right now has burned 135,000 acres and as of yesterday was 35% contained. I also heard rumor that another one cropped up a little further north. =/

I haven't kept up on what's burning. I'm in Humboldt and most of our eastern routes are closed. I'd thought about a drive to Chico at one point but 36 and 20 are burning and 299 has construction and probably burning. We'll wait till easter to visit my wife's sister in Nord.

My group's firefighter was picking up a Knight when I saw him last. His Imperial Guard are gonna have some extra punch when he gets time to build it. Hope the kid stays safe.

Decided to use some extra bits that came with things I actually wanted to build a Wolf Banner. Not sure about the skulls. Any suggestions?

gallery_74843_8971_1321287.jpg

Also working on an old Rhino kit that came short pieces. It had 3 exhaust for one side and none for the other. I've used a Defiler power plant as a substitute. Need another one for the other side. My question here is which front to go on my Razorback?

If I got the pics right this should be twin plates on front

gallery_74843_8971_691868.jpg

This one should have a bulging nose.

gallery_74843_8971_229520.jpg

Any preference or thoughts on this one?

May just do that. I like both and didn't know which way to go with it. Using the bulging nose will help set it apart from the other 2 I picked up and want to turn into Whirlwinds. Those 2 need some work first as they came assembled and somewhat painted.

Edit: I'll figure out a dodad to replace the skulls on the banner. Maybe my dwarf bits will have something.

Edited by Vykryl

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the Razorback. Ready to prime and paint once I decide on a vehicle scheme.

gallery_74843_8971_595254.jpg

My Counts as Vindicator is looking even more like a long term resident of a pick and pull after yesterday. Ripped the side doors of the Rhino body with plans to use a pair of Dear banner tops with dragons on the side. Haven't found a plasticard supplier in my area yet and will need to order some. My cousin brought some plasticard he had so I can reskin my tank. Once I finished with the PA body I was working on we played MTG as he wanted to work on his Commander decks. My old school dragons stomped all over his fancy new cards :D Should get my Helfrost Destructor equipped Vindicator pic ready in next couple days :)

Woo, you're alive!!

How are things going in sunny Humboldt??

Razorback is looking good, and with the old school chassis it is 2/3rds the size so even easier to hide on the board :D

Overcast Saturday and today which is good for me :D Been warm and muggy around here though which is odd.

I've got some other models can post up though I'm still working on one. Built a HoR Kill Team that looks good except for 1 Hunter. That game is scaled well for the time I usually have for gaming. Right now my cousin has been the dominant one in KT with his MoN TDA. Thinking I could use the Razorback for KT at some point. For now that team is

Long Fang Ancient

Plasma Gun

Targeter - reroll 1s

Grey Hunters Edited by Vykryl

• 1 month later...

Just realized after reading a couple pages of my nonsense that I've twice mentioned this tank without posting a pic. Here is my work in progress Helfrost Vindicator.

gallery_74843_8971_476181.jpg

Thing had been painted in testor's red and then primed for some reason. I have no idea how to strip the oil paint so just started chopping it up :D Needs a good bit of putty work now. The Lehman Russ exhaust worked well as replacement for the broken stock ones.

Mostly have my HoR Kill Team so I'm happy with it. there is 1 Hunter wielding bolter and pistol I'm not sure about. Has another that lost his grenade in favor of an axe after I took this pic. The Razorback I'd been looking at and not sure how to finish it. Finally took the little boxes of that came with the kit and replaced them with the ones from the Predator turret, cut down a bit first. Looks better now.

gallery_74843_8971_492257.jpg

This pack was supposed to be Lord Orm's body guard. Decided to make a melta/plasma pack out of it. Waiting on more Sons of Thor backpacks to finish them. Also need to finish the last 2 members, 1 will have the 2nd meltagun. The Pack Leader I'm not pleased with, haven't made a gun slinger i like the pose of. What should he pair with his plasma pistol? Used the bolt pistol as it makes the most sense for a free option. He is magnetized so easily adjustable.

gallery_74843_8971_286255.jpg

Thinking I'll leave the mass of trinkets on the Hunters and any Claws I build. My Longfangs and Wolf Guard will be wiser and leave most of their pelts at home :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a couple more I guess I can post. May help since I'm asking dantay_xv about one of them.

In imitation of Dantay_xv's use of wfb dwarf forearms, a couple of Lord Orm's body guard.

gallery_74843_8971_16513.jpg

The one with the hammer is my first try and I didn't align the dwarf arms quite right. The hammer is tucked closer to his head than I like and his pistol is cocked in a bit. The one showing his pistol is better aligned but his pistol is still cocked a bit.

Wolf Lord Orm 2.0 :D Like this head better as it doesn't look like he got stomped on now. Grafted a marine neck onto a marauder head to make it fit right.

gallery_74843_8971_186902.jpg

Thinking I'm gonna give Orm dwarf bracers too so will need to redo his arms. Good thing I have more bonesabers to craft another sword from.

These 3 are magnetized so I can change their load outs if desired. The top 2 will most often be part of a Hunter pack but can be Claws or PAWG if desired.

When's the ETL? Seems I only paint during ETL and the Solstice Advance, and we forgot the Advance this year :(

The bracers are looking ace!!! Are you going to do them your traditional armour colour, or are you going to go for a a nice leather look to them?

Glad my accidental discovery is catching on :D

For me I use a paperclip and tiny drills and use that.. If there is a gap I can use putty to fill it in.

Oh and mould lines ;)

I shaved half of each arm off to fit them together. If I have the energy tonight I'll start on Orm's new sword arm and take some pics.

Still need to scrape these guys, haven't forgotten ;) Also put magnets everywhere so I can take them apart to paint and modify easier. Even magnetized the one's head, out of curiosity I guess :)

As for scheme the bracers will be like pauldrons most likely, red panel with bronze/copper trim.

I used the dwarf pistol hands for the bolt pistols. You have any ideas for using the funny pistols with a dragon head on the barrel? Had I quick thought about putting them on the end of meltaguns, didn't like right when holding the bits together. Maybe a Helfrost Gun could be bashed out of some of the odd dwarf bits?

First quarter?!?

Normally ETL is May-June to August, no?

I haven' much time to save, but at least I have a healthy backlog to work through.

Anyway back to Vykryl.. the red will look good. I know I have done mine grey as part of their armour but always wondered what a dark wine-brown coloured leather would look like on it.. Oh and Orm is brilliant as-is..

I have never bought the gun arms and guns. I assume we are talking about the big drake guns?

Could you give us a picture of one beside a Space Wolf for scale?

I can try to get a pic tonight of a dwarf gun tacked on a marine. It's the one in this lot

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131556444491&alt=web

Bought the bits set for the dragon standards and now I'm trying to find uses for the other bits.

Shaved down some bits to make a new arm for Orm. Realize now I should have taken a different angle to show how much to cut away from each. Each one is done different depending on the wrist strap on the dwarf bit. This one I shaved everything except the hand and bracers from the dwarf arm, make the back inside of the bracers concave to overlap the elbow better. The marine arm kept it's cuff and was shaved at an angle, cut in about a 1/3 at the elbow and about 2/3 at the cuff.

gallery_74843_8971_490583.jpg

And with kraken tooth sword

gallery_74843_8971_1315620.jpg

Should I have kept the barb at the blade base? The lump at the hilt/blade joining is excess glue I wiped off after the pic.

Edited by Vykryl

Just a thought, but what about using the front part of the gun, just after the first spiral wrap (so it is included and using it in place of the end of a flamer. Use the finger guard below as the flame taper for igniting the flamer?

Also I think I like the barbed sword better, you got a better curve on the finger guard, and the way the barb flows into the hilt looks good. If you smooth out the finger guard I reckon it will be on par though.

I have to say that is quite adventurous for attaching the arms, I just chop, putty pin and glue. If I feel lazy I don't putty, so you can see the strap and chainmail.