++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

honda, I think I have should have used quotations marks around friends haha. I love the marine you churned out! That paint job is much more in line for a stealthy operative. I am also digging the camo paint on the rifle. That looks top notch!

oreaper84, it sounds like a cool idea. After having read a few Black Legion books I want to tweak your idea for an assassin by using a sorcerer instead. If I was lucky drop in smite, use some other spell, then charge in.

That is a cool concept for an assassin you've come up with that I'm going to "borrow" now.

As for the trait I used to just pick one until I reread our legions warlord trait. I don't have my book with me but I remember reading something about randomly generating one so I assumed I rolled for it. If someone could clarify that'd be nice.

[b/]honda, I think I have should have used quotations marks around friends haha. I love the marine you churned out! That paint job is much more in line for a stealthy operative. I am also digging the camo paint on the rifle. That looks top notch!

oreaper84, it sounds like a cool idea. After having read a few Black Legion books I want to tweak your idea for an assassin by using a sorcerer instead. If I was lucky drop in smite, use some other spell, then charge in.

That is a cool concept for an assassin you've come up with that I'm going to "borrow" now.

As for the trait I used to just pick one until I reread our legions warlord trait. I don't have my book with me but I remember reading something about randomly generating one so I assumed I rolled for it. If someone could clarify that'd be nice.

Funny you mention the sorcerer idea as that was the 1st iteration and worked until i went up against Tzeeench. The sorc is great till you get psychic shut down by a powerhouse like Magnus. Spells are good but at times go through too many layers of required success to be considered reliable. Plus i run an Alpha Legion brigade so I got CP's for days

I built a jump pack sorcerer long ago in 7th for daemon summoning and loved it. I definitely want another now for murdering! What's the benefit of infiltrating him if he already has a jump pack?

Also, do you run a ton of cultists for a brigade? Curious as to what your list is.

Ahh, good point about the infiltration. I have only used it on havocs mostly to get them better firing positions and have never moved them after they come out of the shadows.

I may test out both a lord and sorcerer. The sorcerer is a bit pricier though so he better make his psyker rolls. Regardless I am excited to try this idea out.

The spawn sound fun. I used to like running them in the previous edition but haven't had a chance yet for 8th.

You seem like the chaps who might enjoy such things, so I figured I'd share. As I'm sure we all do, I've had the compulsion to kitbash and convert an Alpharius (or is it...) model. 

GRUDjd1l.jpg?1XWzTstPl.jpg?19qfMmaQl.jpg?1

Can't take credit for the idea of using a Stormcast Eternal Paladin for the base model - that belongs to a random Google Image search. But it works perfectly, right down to the scaled tabard. Plus the design of that left arm guard was screaming "mount a pistol here!" Still plenty of cleaning up and adjustments to be made (like straightening the spear). I am torn, though: I'm not sure if I ant to continue the scaling on the right arm. Part of me wants to leave it plain for emblems and decals and such, the other part of me thinks it looks incomplete if I do that. And I still have to figure out a plan for the helmet. Spellcrow has a some dragon crests from their Salamander line I'm considering, but I'm not sure. I am most definitely open to any suggestions for that, or anything else.

Haha yeah, you can always use him as regular lord if GW decides to give Alpha Legion a real primarch model in 40k regardless of how unlikely that is. He was just acting as if he were Alpharius in that case then. :P

Are there rules for the XX Primarch(s) in 30K? I only have the first two books and didn't keep up. I always just thought for 30k or 40k he could just copy any other primarchs stats, plus a few other bonuses, and chapter/legion traits and just use it because, you know, Alpha Legion!

Very cool stuff, Scourged.

...I still have to figure out a plan for the helmet. Spellcrow has a some dragon crests from their Salamander line I'm considering, but I'm not sure. I am most definitely open to any suggestions for that, or anything else.

Any bald, appropriately sized head would work, but I like helmets and masks, since they are sinister and anonymous.

My armored ideal of the Aleph Null is something like this in overall look and feel. It is very ornate, but if you used things like the dragon standard top from fantasy (clipping off the head to use as the primary crest, maybe using a small portion of the tail) and the added it to a MKII head like this one, I think it could very similar without being overwhelmingly busy.

Thanks all. And the plan going forward is to just use him as a standard lord with power sword and plasma. But always the warlord in the fight... Except when he's not. Muahaha!

@Azekai, that is the very picture I've been using as a reference and inspiration for the Pythian Scales. And I'm similar when it comes to heads and helmets... I have yet to include a bare face in all of my Legion. Same with minimal to no Chaos imagery. All that said, that dragon standard would be a breeze to work with. I'll look into that. Thanks!

So I finally got to try out my list yesterday. As a reminder, it's three MSU autocannon squads, Lord with Hydra Blade, terminators with terminator Sorcerer, two baledrakes and a Fire Raptor at 1500.

It's... alright. A lot of the power comes from the flyers causing havoc and attracting lots of attention away from my squishy marine squads. I think I need to be a bit more aggressive with my infiltrate Stratagem and put one of the squads in reserve to protect the lord. Nine drops means I'm most likely going second.

Single autocannons are still as swingy as I remember them being, but I suspect any other heavy would be swingier with the possible exception of frag missiles.

No comment on my Terminators yet, they got shot to pieces fairly rapidly so didn't do much combat wise. Slaanesh combi plasmas with prescience and a lord nearby is pretty tasty though. Still need to test Warp Time out, I've been running Infernal Gaze to stick mortal wounds on characters I can't shoot.

Dragonlover

So I finally got to try out my list yesterday. As a reminder, it's three MSU autocannon squads, Lord with Hydra Blade, terminators with terminator Sorcerer, two baledrakes and a Fire Raptor at 1500.

It's... alright. A lot of the power comes from the flyers causing havoc and attracting lots of attention away from my squishy marine squads. I think I need to be a bit more aggressive with my infiltrate Stratagem and put one of the squads in reserve to protect the lord. Nine drops means I'm most likely going second.

Single autocannons are still as swingy as I remember them being, but I suspect any other heavy would be swingier with the possible exception of frag missiles.

No comment on my Terminators yet, they got shot to pieces fairly rapidly so didn't do much combat wise. Slaanesh combi plasmas with prescience and a lord nearby is pretty tasty though. Still need to test Warp Time out, I've been running Infernal Gaze to stick mortal wounds on characters I can't shoot.

Dragonlover

Good show D,

I have been battling the idea of MSU single heavy squads around as well for my brigade idea....so the question/concern i have is that when the enemy want them dead, they are dead. I think MSU with redundant squads works in theory b/c it takes away the random pot shots that can be the bane of cultists.

The list im leaning towards is as follows

Brigade detatcment

Jump Pack lord (murdersword)

Prince w/ wings/claws/bolter

Jump pack sorc

4 x 10 cultists

2 x 5 marines w/ autocannon

2 x 5 chosen w/ 5 x combi flamer

5 posessed

6 bikers w/ 3 x combi flamers

2 x spawn

3 oblits

predator 4 lascannon

5 havocs 3 x lascannon, missle launcher

Rhino

still got SOME wigle room in points...but the idea is for ITC objective grabbing and harassment while putting a bit of hard to shift heavy fire down range. It is all MoS for on tap, dbbl tap .... bit of a slow burn play style at 2k meant to clear chaff and blobs while i claim objectives

Looking at that list, I think I've worked out why I dislike MSU.

It looks like you wrote a smaller list, then had to stretch it to play a bigger game cause your mate showed up with more stuff/you don't quite have the collection yet. The dumb thing is that that doesn't make sense any more, because champions cost the same as the rest of the unit.

As to the list, I'm sure it's fine in a more competitive setting. Why the three different heavy support choices? I'd have thought three Preds for Killshot would be a better call?

Dragonlover

The list design doesn't have to do with the collection per se...though i dont own 3 pred's (do have 3 vindicators but im not sold on the viability there). I am still trying to make the brigade work. I have had some success with much punchier battalions with termi's/infiltrating zerkers and the like, but with this one i am trying to get the most bang for the buck when it comes to command points. I think that our legion has the most tactical flexibility than any other legion out there (including loyalists). We aren't shoe-horned into a specific mark, and with the infiltrate strat we can really set up the battlefield to our agenda, and that's the basis for this list design. Allow me to elaborate...

I have played quite a few 8th ed games now, and i can count one 1 hand the amount of times ive had the option to got 1st (granted ITC is making that all the more likely now). When i am designing a list i am of the assumption im going 2nd. MSU plays very well to that i think. In my list above i have 7-9 units that have little impact on where the opponent deploys, so they are usually good at allowing me to see the majority of the opponents deployment. If the opponent puts holes in their line, i will exploit it with an infiltration....if not i have to versitility in my units to put the pressure where i need it from either the infiltrating assassin lord, deep striking oblits, warptimed prince or bikes, infiltrated chosen....all the while putting decent firepower downfield from units that usually have great line of site due to counter deployment and are difficult to deal with bc -1 and usually some cover bonuses.

I've found that if i am savy and use the right stratagems at the right times, it can work out well bc it is difficult for the opponent to neutralize all the possible threats at once plus its hard to keep track of all the options that i have at my disposal. Now im sure this will prob become less of an advantage as the edition gets older.....but for now its pretty satisfying to declare "just as planned" while pulling some shenanigans out of left field

Dragonlover, Sounds like a fun game. Hope you can get more out of your terminators in the future. They have been great for me in my friendly games. Drop down, plasma something to death, use endless cacophony to do it again, and then charge in. If they do not make it they usually draw a lot of attention (which allows the rest of my army to put in work unmolested) and my opponent is hesitant to charge into them.

oreapre84, I feel ya. I can count with 1 finger the only time I have gone first this edition. The list and the reasoning behind it sounds fun. Hope you can get some games in with it.

I'm playing Alpha Legion again tomorrow, probably against our so called 'perfect' brothers, the Emperor's Children. Running a Brigade for lots of lovely command points. List looks like this:

Chaos Lord: I am Alpharius; The Black Mace; bolt pistol; TZEENTCH

Sorcerer: Death Hex; Prescience; force sword; bolt pistol; TZEENTCH

Sorcerer: Warptime; Weaver of Fates; force axe; combi-flamer; TZEENTCH

9 Chaos Cultists: heavy stubber; + 1 Cultist Champion; TZEENTCH

9 Chaos Cultists: flamer; + 1 Cultist Champion (shotgun); TZEENTCH

Helbrute: NURGLE

Helbrute: KHORNE

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought: hellforged deathclaw; multi-melta; TZEENTCH

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought: hellforged deathclaw; multi-melta; TZEENTCH

1 Chaos Spawn: TZEENTCH

8 Havocs: 4× plasma gun; + 1 Aspiring Champion (power sword); SLAANESH

8 Havocs: 4× plasma gun; + 1 Aspiring Champion (power sword); SLAANESH

4 Havocs: 4× autocannon; + 1 Aspiring Champion; SLAANESH

Heldrake: baleflamer; TZEENTCH

Slight edit: all the cultist champions have shotguns, flames cultists have pistol/stick, while stubbed ones have rifles

Opinion needed.

I am working on the last stages of my Primaris Captain.

And I was thinking of adding a bolter to to it.

But their is no good space on the miniature to put it, so I was thinking of adding it to the base.

Making it look like he discarded it momentarily and drew out the plasma piston.

But how to place it? left side up? right side up?

Or would I simply drop the bolter?

Hidden Content

wip_captan_by_slitth-dbs7lx4.jpg

I cannot see the pic but would it be possible to get some cheap chain or something to sling it?

I do not think a war fighter would want to discard their primary weapon unless it was completely out of rounds or something. I think they would release their grip of their weapon, which is slung to their side, and draw their side arm. Then when the opportunity presents itself they holster the side arm, draw up their rifle, and reload. 

If you throw your rifle down that is precious seconds fumbling to locate and pick it up.

Archived