++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

I went with D in the end. My previous Lord was helmed so I wanted to do something different. It also plays into the 'well, he could be in charge. Or it could be that bolter guy over there that's calling the shots' vibe, with him daring the enemy snipers to headshot him because it won't actually stop anything.

Dragonlover

I played a great friendly game last night against Guard and Grey Knights, using Zarakynel. 2,000 points. We called it early due to time. My opponent brought a friend who wants to get into 40k, so he controlled about 500 points of guard and the other guy ran 1500 points of Grey Knights.

Over the last 7 games I've really figured out what my models do well and what they don't do as well.

My current 2,000 point list is three detachments with no troops in any of them. Playing to Alpha Legion strengths I plan on setting up a fire base, and infiltrating plasma havoks.

Det 1 is a spearhead with Arkos, 2x5 Plasma Havoks with Combi-Plasma on the champion, 2x7 Missile Havoks (7 seems to be the sweet spot for me to keep them firing for a few turns), a Xiphon interceptor, and 9 Berzerkers. Arkos and the Berzerkers are a Quick Reaction Force to protect the fire base.

Det 2 is another spearhead, but it's "Chaos" instead of "Alpha Legion". 2x Malefic Lords, 3x Earthshaker Batteries in one "squadron", and 2x Hellforged Scorpius tanks. The Earthshakers and Scorpius tanks will kill a Grey Knight landraider in one turn of shooting with no trouble. Even better once the guard codex drops and Earthshakers go to AP -3.

Det 3 is a Supreme Command detachment with 3 Malefic Lords. 5 Malefic Lords with smite and warp flux are really nice to have.

It's 1999 points for 7 command points. I'm not a huge fan of Arkos after using him for a bit, but it's the cheapest way to get an extra command point. If I find 6 is enough than I'll drop him for a Lord to re-roll some 1s on something. I run my lords pretty bare, I'll give them a chain/power axe to get strength 5, and then use either a bolt pistol or a plasma pistol depending on points.

460 points of Zarakynel is about even to Draigo with an ancient nearby to give +1 attack. Their special abilities offset each other pretty well, as do their psychic powers. After calling the game for time we just quickly rolled the dice to see who would win between the two. Draigo barely won after going first, but he would never go first against Zarakynel as she always goes first in combat. He was down to 1 wound when she died, and it took 4 turns of beating on each other.

How many command points have y'all been using? I've tried to bring 8-9 for a few games but with Chaos I've kind of settled down to 6-7 being fine. I played with 6 last night and had no issues. If I plan on infiltrating a bunch of stuff it's nice to have 8-9, since I'll spend 2 or 3 right off the top of the game. I had been spending 1 to take a second relic to give my chaos lords strength 5+ via intoxicating elixir, black mace, axe of blind fury, and/or blade of the Hydra, but honestly, 1 point for a chainaxe or 5 points for a power axe does it almost as well and doesn't cost command points.

I've been using them mostly for Endless Cacophony on the missile havoks, infiltration, and re-rolling damage dice. It's worked fairly well so far.

That game sounds fun. Just got a digital copy of the FW book this week and started putting it to use. Unfortunately my opponent targeted my scorpius and contemptor immediately. :unsure.:  So I didn't get a full measure of their worth yet.

As for command points I usually hit around 5-6 for most armies. In the AL(2000pts) I have used Spearhead and Vanguard for +2, with EC(1250pts) I use Battalion for +3, and Black Legion(1250pts) I had a Spearhead and Abaddon for +3. I also use them mostly for Endless Cacophony as I like dropping Combi Plasma Termies near juicy targets. Usually they have been good coming in and blowing something up and wrecking something else if they do not destroy another target.

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

I'm so excited I almost deleted your post by mistake...

I don't blame you - Sanders is the best Alpha Legion author, IMHO!

Serpent Beneath is fantastic, so hopefully he can carry the mystery into the 41st millennia!

Yeah, that scene was good. Overall I did like the book but the ending has me scratching my head a wee bit. Also, if they continue the story with that cast of characters I will definitely pick up future books.

I am in no rush to reread it since there are some 30K AL books I still need to read. Is there a comprehensive list of novels and short stories compiled on this thread?

Oh wow. This is stellar. They've always been a fantastic Legion and since the weird ending of Legion I've wanted to know where the heck they would end up. This is very promising with Rob Sanders too. Could be great.

Evening, all- finally tore myself away from my other projects and put together my Autilon Skorr model. He is going to count as a Chaos Lord, and I have armed him with a combi-bolter alongside his requisite seductively curved power axe.

med_gallery_53372_13852_66028.jpg

I know it isn't much of an action pose, but since he is going to be overseeing a pack of havoks, I wanted him to have a 'ready and waiting' stance.

I have also begun the first stages of my Hydra's painting, but I am still experimenting with my test models. So far I really like what I see regarding Scourged's chipping method, but I am taking pains to not screw up that step.

Experimenting with Vallejo metallic medium on a recipe of steggadon scale green-> sotek drybrush.

Was trying for the Faithless's turquoise scheme from Space Marine's army painter but I seem to have gotten something closer to Ultramarines metallic after just a single blue glaze...I think it was closer to the right look before the glaze.

https://i.imgur.com/n1DPU1c.jpg

Experimenting with Vallejo metallic medium on a recipe of steggadon scale green-> sotek drybrush.

Was trying for the Faithless's turquoise scheme from Space Marine's army painter but I seem to have gotten something closer to Ultramarines metallic after just a single blue glaze...I think it was closer to the right look before the glaze.

I like it- moving away from the more overtly greenish look then, eh?

Evening, all- finally tore myself away from my other projects and put together my Autilon Skorr model. He is going to count as a Chaos Lord, and I have armed him with a combi-bolter alongside his requisite seductively curved power axe.

med_gallery_53372_13852_66028.jpg

I know it isn't much of an action pose, but since he is going to be overseeing a pack of havoks, I wanted him to have a 'ready and waiting' stance.

I have also begun the first stages of my Hydra's painting, but I am still experimenting with my test models. So far I really like what I see regarding Scourged's chipping method, but I am taking pains to not screw up that step.

I really like the pose, especially in the role you described. I would maybe green stuff away the more Thousand Sons-ish symbols on the cloak though.

I like it- moving away from the more overtly greenish look then, eh?

Mostly playing with options, though I think most of my guys are sticking with the classic blue green with maybe the odd completely scaled shoulder or legplate as a sign of rank...or a distraction from the anonymous legionaire with the bolter and the unmarked helmet.

Azekai, I like what you have done with Skorr. I have another one sitting around and may copy you. I have a lot of havocs that need a guiding hand as well.

Ugolino, The paint job is looking good. If you are experimenting with different techniques I'd suggest writing notes down. That way its easy to remember what steps led to what product. I wish I did that with brown washes on runefang steel to make this one gold color that I love.

Chazsexington, I kind of agree but I also like the idea that he would have kept a momento from another Legion he could have infiltrated. 

Thanks for the kind words, ya'll. I initially planned on using some emory paper to remove the Thousand Sons emblem, but it kinda grew on me as I was putting him together. Perhaps it was a gift that once belonged to a long-dead friend during the old days, maybe it was ripped from an outwitted foe's corpse... or both.

Probably both.

Today's friend could be tomorrow's enemy.

We have friends?

I have a small AL project going on to support our campaign story arc...plus I just wanted to do AL. :)

Although I was originally going to run with the metallic greens/blues scheme that I like so much, but then got drawn away by seeing Migsula's Ghost Legion on Iron Sleet.

So that..."style" of painting, I am attempting to emulate to a degree. I like the "Moonlight" concept and have adapted his style with my painting capabilities.

Anyway, I'm having fun with it.

Here's an example:

gallery_15184_10600_573370.jpg

Cheers,

So i have been list tweaking and after a couple of games i have started using a jump lord as a quasi assassin and have found it super useful. I give him the murder sword, make him warlord (because why the hydra not?) and infiltrate him up. If anything he really make the opponent react after i declare his target. Has anyone else had success with some sneaky solo infiltrators?

Also on a second note, after we pick the I am Alpharius warlord trait, we have to roll for the secondary one right? I have been rolling b/c it says generate another random trait, but i wanted to check the consensus of the great wisdom. Thoughts?

Archived