++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

Ironically, I've been wondering if a primaris bolt rifle might work for the "Instrument" with some minor tweaks.

Never thought about it. I always liked one conversion where someone used a dark eldar splinter rifle barrel on a boltgun with some cool tweaks. I have a vindicare and wonder about chopping up his rifle.

micahwc: Di let us know how it performs when you get some games in. In the last edition I have IA13 and used the hell blades instead of heldrakes. Those were cheap and I upgraded the autocannons for extra dakka. I've been holding off on the forgeworld's chaos index as I want to get the physical copy and buy some dreads at the same time.

Also sucks to hear about the break. I love FW work but I also started to hate on their quality. The last big kit I bought from them was a storm eagle. I probably outcussed a career navy sailor and a marine during assembly.

Also sucks to hear about the break. I love FW work but I also started to hate on their quality. The last big kit I bought from them was a storm eagle. I probably outcussed a career navy sailor and a marine during assembly.

I just finished putting together a pair of Xiphons today, and I gotta say, the process was relatively painless, at least for FW. Way easier than the Atropos knight with its fiddly little hoses and pistons. I superglued the wings onto the engines, and then slapped some gorilla glue on the engines. Pressed those onto the body, glued on the engines and weapons and bam. That is all there really is to it.

By the way, inspired by Scourged's Laernean plaguewind, I am going to dip my toes into the Alpha Legion. Put in an order for Autilon Skorr, who will be acting as a power armored Lord to babysit my fire teams, and I already have some unpainted CSM lying around.

Hydra dominatus!

Good to hear they were painless. I bought that storm eagle shortly after it came out, so it has been some time. I do remember hearing about them fixing the molds up or something for quite a bit of their line. I swear that darn storm eagle was a trial by fire and it has left its mark. Whenever I see something new from FW, like when they showed the Warlord and the Mastadon all I could think how awesome those are. Then have a panic attack thinking about their assembly.

Autilon Skorr is an awesome model. I just finally used one's torso for and Emperor's Children lord. I have its other bits and one more left...

Looking forward to your Laernean Plaguewind. Scourged's looked great and it will be fantastic to see even more.

Good to hear they were painless. I bought that storm eagle shortly after it came out, so it has been some time. I do remember hearing about them fixing the molds up or something for quite a bit of their line. I swear that darn storm eagle was a trial by fire and it has left its mark. Whenever I see something new from FW, like when they showed the Warlord and the Mastadon all I could think how awesome those are. Then have a panic attack thinking about their assembly.

Autilon Skorr is an awesome model. I just finally used one's torso for and Emperor's Children lord. I have its other bits and one more left...

Looking forward to your Laernean Plaguewind. Scourged's looked great and it will be fantastic to see even more.

Yeah. I have looked at the big kits, and I don't think I am going to take on anything larger than a knight. Those storm eagles look formidable, alright. Really big; all the pics I have seen of them they seem to be teetering over a small base. 

Related: it kind of bothers me that things like the Xiphon is so huge- why does a one-man fighter dwarf a rhino?? I know things aren't to scale but that is crazy. 

Also, what is going on with Skorr's faceplate? I like how it looks, but is it supposed to be metal twisted by time in the warp or is it flayed skin or what? It is hard for me to tell from the pictures.

I will take progress shots once I get the chipping medium from Amazon (no local suppliers seem to carry it). I'm no ace painter, but the technique seems sound and I can follow instructions well enough.

Yeah, I finally got mine together but there are gaps and a lot of imperfections I covered up. I do remember seeing a picture of the fighter next to a rhino. It should be noted that rhinos are smaller than they probably should be as nothing is accurately scaled in GW's range (at least I think so). And astartes vehicles are awfully blocky in their design. However, modern fighter jets are quite large you could argue

Skorr's faceplate looks like some kind of jackal head, maybe a wolf. I had thought to use it on a space wolf BUT I am going to save it for a Black Legionaire who had been a Luna Wolf. I do not know where the fluff about him (Narik Dreygur) is in the books. I think I read his background in the warhammer wikipedia or something. He is a bit of a jackal.

Cheers guys! Been thinking more, I might just paint the scales onto the armour if the green stuff approach gets too fiddly. Gives me a chance to practice my freehand if nothing else.

I'd love to use the Spellcrow stuff, but I've decided to stick to pure GW. I got incredibly annoyed last year that I couldn't take my Alphas to any events at Warhammer World because they were all Anvil except the vehicles.

Dragonlover

I am usually not a fan of 3rd party stuff but I think Evil Craft have some of the best looking chaos stuff out there. Their havocs and raptors look phenomenal. What happens if you put non GW minis on the table at WHW? I remember something about old rules about tournaments could only be played with official GW products but that was it.

Whenever you get around to your operatives pleases post up some pics!

I think if you're just gaming casually you're alright, but for something like Throne of Skulls they ask you to remove the models from the table. And yeah, Evil Crafts stuff is lovely, goes really well with DV stuff.

I'll definitely put pics up when I have some stuff built.

Dragonlover

I am usually not a fan of 3rd party stuff but I think Evil Craft have some of the best looking chaos stuff out there. Their havocs and raptors look phenomenal. What happens if you put non GW minis on the table at WHW? I remember something about old rules about tournaments could only be played with official GW products but that was it.

Whenever you get around to your operatives pleases post up some pics!

No 3rd party in any GW store, though your mileage may vary. Specifically, people whom work at WHW have said you are not allowed to use third party models/parts in their shops. E.g. my CSA Imperial Guard with 3rd party heads and autocannons ist verboten und eine grosse nein-nein. 

Dragonlover: Yeah, one day I was browsing for havoc ideas and I stumbled across their stuff. Seeing it though makes me wish GW would crank out some new CSM. At least we have the new Death Guard so that's new minis and a new hope haha.

ChazSexington: It's so bad they told you this in German? That's on another level:teehee:. I get that its their stores, their brands, and when it was their tournaments. I wonder if they try to pull off a sale when these incidents occur: "Sorry patron, those are not GW sanctioned minis....but over here I have the exact ones you will need...and clippers, and files...and glue...so you can build them. Ah, look at that, I have some painting supplies too."

Hah, wow! Glad you all liked them so much. Happy to be of inspiration. You can expect a whole host more of the XXth in the coming days. Some rank and file, a converted 30k Ahriman into a Alpha sorcerer, some pretty (and expensive) Lernaean Terminators... I've been shopping, and just in time for the Call. Given this year's theme, I might even try my hand at a small squad of Lernaean Rapturewind (name pending).

Regarding an earlier inquiry about scales on cloaks and armor, I'm reminded of a ooooold tutorial I found to easily sculpt them. The short version: get a scrapbooking whole punch that makes tiny circles, overlap said paper circles on armor in a scale pattern, seal it and paint it. I never tried it, but the effect looked pretty good.

So I managed to find the old tutorial in question. Sure enough, it's on The Serpent's Lair forum, heh. When you go to the link, scroll down to the post by user Duke_Newcomb - that's the one with the hole punch, recommended size of 2mm. Sadly, all the picture references are no longer hosted, what with being four years old. The post just above it, by user Freakiq, does a great example of hand painting scales easily (and has working pictures!). And above that is one about using a Dark Elf cloak. It's an older collection of material, but a lot is still useful. 

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Alpha_Legion_Forums/index.php?showtopic=990

Edit: I'm just finding all kinds of things today... I did not know that Mierce Miniatures has a whole line devoted to serpentine/hydra monsters and such. There's some great Daemon Prince contenders in there. Check it out: 

http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=cat&cre=dkl-kth

Oh nostalgia! I used to be on this forum I think. I was definitely on the Imperial Fists and the Iron Warriors ones as well (gathering intelligence and what not, obviously). And the user Kaleb Daark had a sweet chosen unit of Alpha Legionaires painted up as Ultramarines with hidden hydra motifs. He is the whole reason I started to build up a similar squad.

Good, old memory lane.

Oh nostalgia! I used to be on this forum I think. I was definitely on the Imperial Fists and the Iron Warriors ones as well (gathering intelligence and what not, obviously). And the user Kaleb Daark had a sweet chosen unit of Alpha Legionaires painted up as Ultramarines with hidden hydra motifs. He is the whole reason I started to build up a similar squad.

Good, old memory lane.

unfortunately its seen better days. since warpwhisperer left and i (the artist formally known as ageis) took a break from the hobby its slowed down alot. still a few guys left and a few treasures to be found though. 

Hah, well, happy to bring everyone down a stroll on Nostalgia Avenue. Even I can admit that place was one of the first resources I found to consume Hydra lore... Back in the 3.5 days. Nearly half a decade before I ever painted my first mini. And look at me now!

Good, old memory lane.

unfortunately its seen better days. since warpwhisperer left and i (the artist formally known as ageis) took a break from the hobby its slowed down alot. still a few guys left and a few treasures to be found though. 

Man, I think I just lurked on that site but I think it may be the same for some of those other forums. Changing armies and daily life can do that.

I do want to go digging through the threads though.

Hmm, I thought the hydra pic was saved as a lokal resource in the software. :p I'll actually take a look at it when I'm back home again. They're fixing up my bathroom & kitchen and they are a month after schedule so I'm stuck in my phone for a while longer. :(

...and my Arkos-model is coming along nicely, I'll have at least one model to paint for the call at least. :)

Good, old memory lane.

I'm there, intermittently! The little progress I have, I cross post between there and here. I'm Claudius on those forums :)

Good, old memory lane.

I'm there, intermittently! The little progress I have, I cross post between there and here. I'm Claudius on those forums :smile.:

ohh gawd, weve all just Alpharius'd each other:ph34r.: :biggrin.:

Archived