++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

They look good, much better than the pistols and chainswords in my opinion.

I can't take a picture atm, but they look like very tzeentch-inspired axes, both single edged and double edged.

Did a quick google search; tzaangor2.jpg

Alot of the axes also has Tzeentch-eyes on them.

Also worth noting as that they stand on 32mm bases(!), the tzaangors are quite big. I like it.

Okay... I have no idea but here goes 1850:

Core:

Sekhemet 1020 pts

Ahriman (no disk)

3 x 5 Occult Termies (each with 1 Missile rack)

Aux: 670

Maulerfiend

Maulerfiend

Heldrake

WarCoven:

Exalted Sorc (joins Ahriman's Termie squad?) 230 pts (Grimoire ML3)

1690 out of 1850;

20 models. lol

Any ideas before I go further. Is the DP even worth it?

On the plus side this army would travel extremely easily.

That's one of the Silver Tower ones (I own them).

Good to know they follow their weapon design.

It's the exact same models I think, except the 40k Tzaangors contain two small sprues with chainswords and autopistols on them.

You even get swords, shields and command options, so it's straight out of AoS.

The multi-kit Tzaangor will be different from the Silver Tower because the latter have these long hair-tentacles that only really work because are meant to be put together a certain way.

I imagine all the spare weapons would be great for converting Cultists or Renegade Militia. :)

anyone else realised that if you take Ahriman in a Sehkmet Conclave on a Disc, he is toughness 6!

Immediately, that and Magnus is T8!

Building a mostly theoretical/fun list, based on the Sekhmet conclave with the auxiliary choice being a war coven. I plan on adding sorcerers with chainfists from the war coven. My question is on the other weapon would a lightning claw be the best choice or a force weapon? If a force weapon do you think it's best to be a sword or stave? I'm thinking the force sword would be the best choice.

I actually ended up taking the Sekhmet w/Ahriman, a DP, and the Tzzangor formation in 1850. Wow did I take a horrific beating. 

It was against GSC though. He had first turn. I lost 20 Tzaangors in T1. He got to deploy about  50 models within 18" of me. His Primarch and attached 20 Genestealers had me locked in CC by Turn 2. 

The only model that could really do anything was the Maulerfiend oddly enough. By T2 the game was over, but I kept playing to get a feel for the army, but essentially I think the score (it was Maelstrom) was about 16-3 for GSC. 

I'm used to playing GSC, and I've beat it with Grey Knights, but this army just couldn't seem to present a threat to it. It kept coming back in droves and had me pinned in a castle up (to retain bonus toughness). Honestly, even if I knew exactly what to do with the Thousand Sons, I'm not sure this is even a remotely winnable match up. Anyone played 1Ksons vs GSC yet?

Haven't played GSC. I suppose this the time you want 10 warp flamer squad of rubrics jumping around burninating all the peoples.

It's a dangerous match up to be sure, since GSC can drown you in bodies and a Sehkmet Conclave has so few bodies. I would probably suggest a War Cabal of all things min maxed to get that save reroll and Rubrics with flamers. Sure it's a tailored list but it's what I got off the top of my head.

Tzaangor warherd with spawn?

Or one squad of rubrics of 10 with flamers, champion with flamer two HQ sorcerers one with the Astral grimoire and the other with helm of the third eye. Rolling on Tzeentch for beam power, breath of chaos or transmorgify power and try to tie up thier units with spawn?

Okay that's an idea but we don't list tailor and actually don't know who is playing who before hand. So would you say that is a solid all comers list idea?

It's really too bad as I love the terminators and that formation toughness bonus.

Actually the one usable power I had was the re-roll saves from Sinistrum on Ahriman. It made the squad last forever but the one turn I failed it with 6 dice that squad was toast. Literally I was having to make 11 rending saves a turn sometimes. I was doing so on a re roll of 3++.

After the game my opponent asked me how the heck I was supposed to move to objectives. Or how is the army supposed to do damage. I explained that firstly the termies can't over watch, and can't really change weapon load outs.

I also explained that when my whole army is essentially engaged by T2, I have no offensive ability.

Honestly I can't think of how I could have defended against GSC with Thousand Sons. I mean even my good armies struggle against it. So this might be just an auto loss going forward unless I missed a couple of big things...which is entirely possible!

(Edit: also quick note on Ahriman, I'm not sure he's worth it as I actually had a lot of trouble passing anything with him. Also I would not recommend a DP in this army style list 290 points is too much at this model count)

Terminators can over watch. Rubrics are the only choice that cant.

It might just be bad match up. It's a low model count army against something that can literally drown you in bodies. Even removed from TS how would a pure deathwing ay play against it or any other terminator list?

Allied demons? Summoning splitting horrors or flamers of tzeentch?

Terminators can over watch. Rubrics are the only choice that cant.

It might just be bad match up. It's a low model count army against something that can literally drown you in bodies. Even removed from TS how would a pure deathwing ay play against it or any other terminator list?

Allied demons? Summoning splitting horrors or flamers of tzeentch?

Ah right. Honestly there was only one turn I could have. I was tied up for 4 turns before conceding.

Another quick idea is standard tanks. Say predators with autocannon/h. Bolters or vindicators, heldrakes. Either massed shots or mass templates. They are aren't mostly fearless right? So heldrake formation giving debuffs to leadership combines with massed shooting to break units?

Does anyone know if I can add in a CAD to the Thousands Son detachment so I can get FW tanks/contemptor dread, or will i lose the TS detachment bonus?

A CAD will be a separate Detachment to the Thousand Sons Grand Coven. Only units in the Grand Coven will benefit from the bonus psychic powers, and only units in the CAD will have ObSec. However, if you declare both Detachments to be TSons, both will benefit from the Thousand Sons Legion rules (i.e. both will get Inv bonuses when a Blessing is used on them, both will loathe Space Wolves, and both will have access to Thousand Sons relics).

Does anyone know if I can add in a CAD to the Thousands Son detachment so I can get FW tanks/contemptor dread, or will i lose the TS detachment bonus?

As said, the CAD can be a TS CAD (so Rubricae as Troops for example), but the +1 inv.save from blessings only applies to models with the VotLW rule, so I don't think any FW units would be affected by being TS (since it's mainly vehicles).

A Helbrute or Maulerfiend taken as part of a Grand Coven would not be affected by any of the TS special rules either (no +1 inv.save and since they are not psykers the Master of Arcane Knowledge would not matter either).

I think the only unit where stuff would be a bit odd is the Chaos Rapiers, since they can't take VotLW or Marks. So they would generally not get any Legion rules. Or, they would get reroll pen rolls vs buildings as IW, -2 Ld to enemy units in cc as NL and be affected by Apostle Zealot bubbles if WB.

But TS have no rules that affect all units (except they must take the MoT if possible), so using the CAD for FW stuff doesn't really matter. Those FW units would get no TS special rules anyway.

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

In honour of the 15th legion’s fabulous new forces and the stepping forth of the Crimson King himself from the Eye, the 35th (and final) Inspirational Friday topic of 2016, running from today until the 13th of January, is dedicated to the Thousand Sons.

To those interested in winning this for their signature/About Me page...

gallery_63428_7083_1435.png

...give us a fluff piece (as long as you like) about your sons of Prospero (accompanied by photos if you wish) HERE.

Another quick idea is standard tanks. Say predators with autocannon/h. Bolters or vindicators, heldrakes. Either massed shots or mass templates. They are aren't mostly fearless right? So heldrake formation giving debuffs to leadership combines with massed shooting to break units?

Thanks for the idea, but until his HQ is gone (and there's a standard bearer/Icon Bearer) there's these large bufff bubbles of FnP and Fearless.

Honestly I'm still trying to figure out how on earth I could have done any damage to him... while retaining an 'all comers' kind of list.

That solo Maulerfiend I had in the list... oddly enough... was the biggest threat to his army as he did have Rock Saws all over the place, but the Maulerfiend was a stud, ripped through about 3 squads.

I have to figure out how to make this situation work or really I can't fathom committing to the army because this is a semi-regular army I face (and others like it: Like Ork Bikestar, and T-Wolves (wulfen/TWolves Cavalry) 

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself and the army because it was my first go but I have played Psychic heavy armies a lot... Grey Knight, LibCon Marines. 

Fight fire with fire - deathstar up yourself. Pack as many mastery levels as possible and aim for Warp Fate and Invisibility on a single large squad. I think the Scarabs have real potential when buffed to the gills but trying to spread the love over three units seems a bit much to ask in an edition where baseline Terminators aren't much hat. Heck, you could even pack the repelling staff, which may make a real different when coupled with a strong overwatch. It may be a slightly less fulfilling list overall, but you're clearly not playing in the cuddliest of environments.

Fight fire with fire - deathstar up yourself. Pack as many mastery levels as possible and aim for Warp Fate and Invisibility on a single large squad. I think the Scarabs have real potential when buffed to the gills but trying to spread the love over three units seems a bit much to ask in an edition where baseline Terminators aren't much hat. Heck, you could even pack the repelling staff, which may make a real different when coupled with a strong overwatch. It may be a slightly less fulfilling list overall, but you're clearly not playing in the cuddliest of environments.

I agree with this, If your meta is really THAT competitive? if you've gotta...do it. 

10 Scarab occult, several regular sorcerers, 1-2 exalted (divination), all on discs, daemon weapon, tons of buffing spells, 2 warp flamers, .....have at it hoss.  You could make a horrifying deathstar with all that. if need be.  Helm of the third eye and the flux staff combined would make charging that unit almost impossible by basic infantry, 8 combi bolters + other shooting + D3 x2 warp flamer shots + -2 to charge distance. 

OUCH! 

you would do fine. though to me thats not a fun list (but then again I also dont fight players who constantly go for Min-Max efficiency. In your case? id definitely go for it Prot) 

Id probably do this; 

Min war cabal, the 2 sorcerers, a 10 man occult unit, a 5 man Rubric unit. Then cram a War Coven worth of sorcerers into the unit (all on discs) and youve got a 2+/3++ (possibly T5 once some termies die). Fill the auxiliary with maulerfiends/forgefiends.  This would wreak havoc on most armies and be nigh-immune to most other deathstars (you've got so many force weapons that ork biker unit better not come within charging distance....even thunderwolves would be scared as every 1-2 they roll is a dead wolf/rider, and you will wound alot as you have half a dozen force staves in the unit) 

QUESTION TIME!

As a lot of Thousand Sons players have indicated on these forums that a TS CAD may be the way to go I was wondering what CSM units with VotLW would you include in the CAD that could take advantage of the special rules in question(Fear and +1 INV when a blessing is cast on a VotLW squad)?

QUESTION TIME!

As a lot of Thousand Sons players have indicated on these forums that a TS CAD may be the way to go I was wondering what CSM units with VotLW would you include in the CAD that could take advantage of the special rules in question(Fear and +1 INV when a blessing is cast on a VotLW squad)?

Terminators with an assortment of gear. With the TS relic they can become very very fast.

Archived