++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Ahriman's Exiles is the way to go now. It's model thin but very powerful with summoning and LOTS of Warp Charge. Running all sorcerers+Ahriman is feasible and very powerful with Coruscating beam on all the sorcerers. For their points cost Rubrics are NEVER worth it and Scarab Occults are questionable as well. Go Sorcerers or go home.

I feel similar sorcerers with Tzaangors. Normal games I will probably just run CAD and complete TS detchments.

Haha... what is that?? About  10,000 points?

I was trying to really go through with these guys but I see people putting 'competitive' lists together with something like 17 models and so little flexibility. I just don't know. I think you gotta love that playstyle a LOT to stick with these guys.

Models look beautiful though. I'm envious of your loot!

(P.S. What are the paints pictured there?)

Haha... what is that?? About 10,000 points?

I was trying to really go through with these guys but I see people putting 'competitive' lists together with something like 17 models and so little flexibility. I just don't know. I think you gotta love that playstyle a LOT to stick with these guys.

Really gives a new definition to the elite/low model count army, right?

Remeber they don't fundamentally change codex CSM. Truly competitive lists are still in the end going to be variations of the cabalstar. Heck this army has three of them I think each one more powerful/expensive then the next. Wrath of Magnus or traitor legions for that matter don't fundementally change they way CSM play and that won't change till a new codex. Every supplement since has just been a stop gap, GW just gets better with each one. You won't see rubrics out side of friendly games or rather inside serious competitive lists. Traitor Legions pander to the fan base chaos built with the 3.5 'dex and takes that and updated the rules to fit the Angels of Death model and 7th edition rule set.

People say TS just die all the same to bolters inside and outside of cover, but forget when people complain about grav spam, ignore cover spam, riptides, centuries etc. Which are designed to beat armor and kill inside cover. TS allow you to survive grav, and ignore cover high strength low ap weapons. When was the last time you fought a CAD space marine army with 2 squads of 10 space marines.

Haha... what is that?? About  10,000 points?

~2800 points roughly, depending on loadout on the Exalted Sorcerers. I'll probably order one more box of Occult Termies, just so I can get a full War Cabal for funsies.

Thousand Sons is probably the cheapest way moneywise if you want to build a 2000 pts list;

3 boxes of Occult Terminators, 2 boxes of Rubric Marines and 2 boxes of Exalted Sorcerers (convert one out of the 6 into a rubric sorcerer) will give you a fully legal War Cabal at 2000 pts, and "only" costs £188 at Wayland. 

The paints are 4 Thousand Sons Blue Base, and 4 Ahriman Blue Layers. :smile.:

I'm gonna repaint my old Thousand Sons army as well, so I'll probably need even more paint.

You won't see rubrics out side of friendly games or rather inside serious competitive lists. Traitor Legions pander to the fan base chaos built with the 3.5 'dex and takes that and updated the rules to fit the Angels of Death model and 7th edition rule set.

Pretty much. Let's just say I didn't exactly blow afew hundred pounds on expanding my Thousands Sons army just because I aim at winning some upcoming tournaments.

For the soul reaper cannon I think it needs to be looked at this way. What's more points efficient/kill

1x 10 man squad w/ soul reaper cannons

Or

2x 5 man squads w/o soul reaper cannon

Do you want more sorcerers or more AP3 shots?

That is a good shout, you get more sorcs with small units, all of which add an extra charge to the pool who can, cast two spells with the decurion buffs (so, Force and something else).

MSU is kinda shaping up to be okay for Rubrics? Maybe? You just maximize Sorcerers that way I suppose - which is really damn cool.

A shame, I was intending to do a model and fluff cross over with my 30k marines. Two units of 20 Rubrics (with or without soulreaper cannons) as the centerpiece marching up the table with some support from a few Exalted Sorcerers, 5 Terminators (Scarab and/or normal), Wrap Talons and maybe flamer Rubrics.

Back to the ethereal drawing board, or a visit to papa Nurgle. 

Reinforcements has arrived!

*picture removed*

Christmas is saved. :wub.:

So jealous, I honestly haven't played a game in probably a decade.  Lost all my old Iron Warrior stuff probably 8 years ago.  I just got rule book, waiting on my new models, paints, brushes and books.   My wife wont let me touch anything that comes in till Christmas.  In fact she plans on getting from postman and hiding it. The sneak.

For the soul reaper cannon I think it needs to be looked at this way. What's more points efficient/kill

1x 10 man squad w/ soul reaper cannons

Or

2x 5 man squads w/o soul reaper cannon

Do you want more sorcerers or more AP3 shots?

That is a good shout, you get more sorcs with small units, all of which add an extra charge to the pool who can, cast two spells with the decurion buffs (so, Force and something else).

MSU is kinda shaping up to be okay for Rubrics? Maybe? You just maximize Sorcerers that way I suppose - which is really damn cool.

A shame, I was intending to do a model and fluff cross over with my 30k marines. Two units of 20 Rubrics (with or without soulreaper cannons) as the centerpiece marching up the table with some support from a few Exalted Sorcerers, 5 Terminators (Scarab and/or normal), Wrap Talons and maybe flamer Rubrics.

Back to the ethereal drawing board, or a visit to papa Nurgle. 

You can run a TS legion list no problem, but think of it as a Legion (multiple kinds of units) not a space marine chapter.  20 Rubrics is a bad idea for the same reason 20 CSM are a bad idea, plus you are missing out on four sorcerers that way if you run it 5 man squads  that or two soul reapers if you run it at ten man squads.

Hey gents,

Question for you all - does the Grand Coven detachment allow your Sorcerers to cast an additional psychic power per turn, or does it allow them to generate an additional psychic power over and above their mastery level? I assumed it was the former, but I've seen a couple people on the internet suggest the latter. I'm having some difficulty trying to decide whether the Grand Coven detachment is worth it at all, honestly. Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to be running Ahriman as my warlord most of the time - being able to infiltrate Rubric Marines reliably seems like a huge boon and being able to cast Psychic Shriek three times is potentially pretty obscene. That renders the warlord trait re-roll irrelevant though, and being able to cast an additional psychic power per turn is frankly not that useful (with the exceptions of Magnus and Ahriman) since the only psychic focus a Tzeentchian Sorcerer will be getting is the almost laughably terrible primaris from the Tzeentch discipline.

I want to max out my Sorcerers (why else play Thousand Sons?), but every time I try to come up with a decent War Coven to pair up with my War Cabal it occurs to me that I'm taking Ahriman anyway, and while Ahriman's Exiles is always going to be more expensive than a War Coven, the Exiles are also much better, since the formation allows Ahriman to harness warp charges on a 3+ and the rest of the formation's Exalted Sorcerer aren't limited to a single discipline for their formation bonus. Then the War Cabal itself - it's incredibly frustrating that the formation forces you to take two Sorcerers while the War Coven forces you to take four. One and three really would have been much more reasonable, because as it is in every list I draft up I always have two or three naked (or near naked) Sorcerers running around that are just dead-weight and a waste of points. As much as I want to run a Grand Coven it seems like a CAD and Ahriman's Exiles is a better choice from an efficiency standpoint. The War Cabal's formation benefit is quite good, but a similar effect could be achieved with Prescience if you're taking Ahriman and a bunch of Exalted Sorcerers anyway.

Granted I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Cast an additional power.. So Aspiring Sorcerers (lvl 1) can cast Doombolt, for example, AND Force.. giving them a chance to pop a tank or something and then boost their Rubricae to 3++

I ran a 2500pt War Cabal that was maxed out (30 Rubricae, 3 units of terminators, 3 Exalted and Ahriman) and it was freaking stupid.. but I can't imagine anyone else NOT running Ahriman's Exiles. 

Spamming sorcerers won't make you any friends, but it will win games. There is no good reason to run Terminators or Rubric Marines in tournaments.

Thankfully I dont play tournaments.

That's actually a really good point - I forgot about force.

I don't play in tournaments either, so I'm not overly concerned about the competitive effectiveness of Rubric Marines or the Scarab Occult. As far as I'm concerned, they're just there as ablative wounds for their sorcerous masters, and if they manage to mow down a few Space Marines (or whatever else) along the way, I'd consider it a win. Even at 2000 points though, I literally can't fit a War Cabal, Ahriman's Exiles, and a Predator with no upgrades into my army list, let alone at 1850 points. Now, granted, I want to run two squads of ten Rubric Marines with Soulreapers and have the Exalted Sorcerers riding around on discs with Ahriman psychic shrieking/Heretech-ing everything to death, so I guess I could run a min War Cabal. Seriously though, the sheer number of Sorcerers in the formations mean that once you hit Ahriman and three of them decently kitted out there are no points left over for Rhinos and melta bombs, let alone giving the remaining two Sorcs anything apart from maybe an Aura of Dark Glory or trying to squeeze that Predator in to make a Grand Coven.

They look sick as hell so I am using them..

Oh and it's cool that we can finally play Dustwing..

1000pts:

Sorcerer with things and stuff

5 Scarab Occult w/ Hellfyre and Soulreaper

5 Scarab Occult w/ Hellfyre and Heavy Warpflamer

They look sick as hell so I am using them..

Oh and it's cool that we can finally play Dustwing..

1000pts:

Sorcerer with things and stuff

5 Scarab Occult w/ Hellfyre and Heavy Warpflamer

I have actually been tempted to do a Dustwing army as two other people went Thousand Sons in my local Meta and both are running similar lists (War Cabal ect.) to change things up, what I came up with at 2k:

DUSTWING 2000 POINTS:

-Exalted Sorcerer Level 3

*w/ Spell Familiar, Disc

-x5 Scarab Occult Terminators

*w/ Hellfyre Missile Launcher, Soulreaper Cannon

-Maulerfiend

*w/ Lasher Tendrils

-Maulerfiend

*w/ Lasher Tendrils

Haha... what is that?? About 10,000 points?

If I want a different playstyle I could play with one of my.. Err.. 6? 8? Other armies :'(

Ultimately, our power rests with our Psykers, which, we can field in spades as all of our sergeants are one in their own right, who can if anything cast force easily enough to boost the invuln of a unit.

Scarabs are good for the points I think. Soul Reaper and missiles is a lot of dakka for sure and with psychic support they can get silly.

I do think someone *cough* Arhiman *cough* should have been able to choose one power to know automatically from the main rule book.

The true strenght of Occult Termies lies is in the Occult Sorcerer and Helfyre Missile Packs.

The Soulreaper cannons are cool, but overpriced. They're basically bad Assault Cannons; better against 3+ saves, but worse against everything else.

The Terminators themselves are kinda "meh"; they're essentially MoTz Chaos Terminators who pay 4 points for AP3 combi-bolters but loose all other options, so are stuck with Power Swords. And as we know, Chaos Terminators are overpriced to begin with. (Loyalists pay 35 pts for a fist+stormbolter, we pay 38 pts for a fist+combibolter.) Not terrible, but not that great either. 

The HFMP's however are quite cheap and brings sorely needed anti-tank weaponry to the Thousand Sons, and the Occult Sorcerer get's a nice discount over a similarily geared Chaos Sorcerer; The Occult Sorcerer is 90 pts. A Chaos Sorcerer with Terminator Armour, MoTz and +1 ML is 125 pts(!), altough he can take further upgrades like Spellfamiliars.

At the end of the day though, the best thing about Occult Termintors is the model's themselves. They instantly turn any Thousand Son player into a winner. :wink:

Consider this- Previously before WoM I ran 9 Terminators for 290pts (most of our Scarab units are 300pts). All they did was provide wounds for Ahriman to hide behind. 

Now 5 guys for around the same points can at least shoot when nothing is in range, dont run, provide Warp Charge, AND have a chance vs vehicles at range for the tradeoff of losing Power Axes they had before. Incredible, in that context.

If they are in a war cabal and you manifest psychic shriek with the sorcerer champion (using the 2 dice he generated himself, mind), then counting the shriek they kill ~6.5 out-of-cover MEQ on average (12-18" Ld9).  Increases to ~8.5 from rapid fire range.

I feel like ablative wounds and the odd lucky hull point might be underselling what they can actually do just a bit.

It really is all about those Sorc Champions.

Plus, really, just HOW MANY armies do you need massed ap2? ap3 is more than sufficient in 99% of situations.

Hell, you have other terminators (not often used) a few HQ Choices, big tau suits, Phoenix lords (lol)... It's not a lot!

Looking more into the cost of Soc champions, they're even more of a bargain.

Loyalists, so get a psyker need to buy a Librarian, then give them TDA, then upgrade to ML2.

Whereas we replace a single Scarab occult anyway, so his cost can be take out of the sorcerer's overall... Meaning he is super cheap.

Plus, 3++ while retaining powerful shooting options! Noice.

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but in looking through the Detachment I'm a bit lost.

I'm still trying to keep these guys in mind in my playtesting of Legions but I don't understand the list building. I mean I understand the rules of the detachment, I just don't understand how to go about a cohesive list.

I have some things I'm trying to do so I'm wondering with some self imposed rules if you could give me an idea of what I would be looking at in an 1850 list if:

- I don't want to use Magnus

- No allies

- The only daemons allowed would be inherent to the Thousand Sons army list... IE: Tzaangors?

Can anyone do a very basic rundown of what a decent 1850 with those restrictions would look like?

Is there a way to empower the Scarab Termies in such a list without making the army 20 models?

Sorry I'm just stuck and not sure if it's plausible to make a decent list with such restrictions.

I think the answer is not to get too attached to the Coven - most of the real meat of the Sons comes from the overall detachment rules, and a CAD's flexibility in list building more than makes up for the fringe benefits of the Coven.

A list might look something like:

3-4 Sorcerers

10 Terminators (Occult or vanilla)

Several min. squads of Gors or Cultists

Vehicles to taste (preferably Maulers, depending on your self-imposed Daemon rules)

I think the answer is not to get too attached to the Coven - most of the real meat of the Sons comes from the overall detachment rules, and a CAD's flexibility in list building more than makes up for the fringe benefits of the Coven.

A list might look something like:

3-4 Sorcerers

10 Terminators (Occult or vanilla)

Several min. squads of Gors or Cultists

Vehicles to taste (preferably Maulers, depending on your self-imposed Daemon rules)

Thanks for that. But wow... so actual T-sons (as in the dudes from Prospero) is about... 13-14 in an 1850 list. lol

I do love my Maulerfiends so that isn't a problem! :)

Archived