++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Oh man... is the codex literally around the corner? Should I dump my CSM project for now? I just don't have much left to paint anymore for Thousand Sons, but a new Codex might open up some dead ends.

No clue. Also, I got blocked from commenting on the 40k FB page. Probably because I was asking about the Codex: Thousand Sons release date every time they post.

Pity. 

I really hope Rubrics take a points drop for pure TS. Personally, i'd like to see it for DG too. No problem paying an extra tax to take Rubrics in my Black Legion army.

That's extremely unlikely. Units cost an amount of points based on how strong they are, not based on how common they are.

It's really a crap shoot on if we get our Dex before or after xmas.

One one hand how could they not include any Xenos? Then again they did say imps vs chaos is the limelight.

The next 2 dexs will be telling. If no xenos announced for Dex 5 and 6 then they might be doing a xenos invasion campaign after Xmas to pick up the pieces from imps and chaos.

Back to the hurry up and wait room again. :)

Oh man... is the codex literally around the corner? Should I dump my CSM project for now? I just don't have much left to paint anymore for Thousand Sons, but a new Codex might open up some dead ends.

No clue. Also, I got blocked from commenting on the 40k FB page. Probably because I was asking about the Codex: Thousand Sons release date every time they post.

Pity.

Banished back to the immaterium, huh? Servents of Tzeentch will not rest until the divination is done!!

So tonight I got a look at the Grey Knight codex. They have 6 warlord traits, and 4 special characters have 4 different traits. They have 2 pages of stratagems. I fully expected them to get like 6 stratagems. The psychic power tree is of course 6 powers. Cool stuff like teleport/deepstrike a unit of infantry or a dread for a single CP. Artifacts, of course.

This is a pretty good indication of what we will get, since we are also just waiting on a book with no accompanying miniatures. Pretty damn cool considering the thin nature of the GK codex.

Here's hoping, fellas

Just picked up the CSM codex and can confirm no aspiring sorcerer point value. That's a saving of 12 points for every rubric squad if we can use the new data sheet instead of the index version. (That's if they are treating the aspiring sorcerers like sergeants now).

So tonight I got a look at the Grey Knight codex. They have 6 warlord traits, and 4 special characters have 4 different traits. They have 2 pages of stratagems. I fully expected them to get like 6 stratagems. The psychic power tree is of course 6 powers. Cool stuff like teleport/deepstrike a unit of infantry or a dread for a single CP. Artifacts, of course.

This is a pretty good indication of what we will get, since we are also just waiting on a book with no accompanying miniatures. Pretty damn cool considering the thin nature of the GK codex.

I just hope this is not true. I want a TS Codex but one with more unit options then now. Our list ist one of the most if not the most ondimensional of all official lists. And a lot of our existing units  (Helbrute, deamon engines) do not match aesthetically.

I don't want a codex where there are just more psipowers and some stratagems. Sorry, I want a Codex that expands our list. Like what will happen to the death guard.

With all those point savings I feel like I can squeak out a Rhino for free... Neat.

I added up my 2k list with the new savings (leaving the costs for Ahriman, exalteds and Scarabs unchanged since they aren't in the codex).  Had enough to almost add a heldrake (and since Rubrics don't need to be 10 man to get the soulreaper, can drop a few to add the Heldrake or somehting else)

Got three games in. The scarab occult arent too bad when used as a deep zone pressure unit to herd the ennemy together.

They are excellent herd dogs!

Day finished with a resounding victory against tau, a close loss to grey knights and a loss to eldar. Wished i had played that eldar game differently.

With all those point savings I feel like I can squeak out a Rhino for free... Neat.

I added up my 2k list with the new savings (leaving the costs for Ahriman, exalteds and Scarabs unchanged since they aren't in the codex). Had enough to almost add a heldrake (and since Rubrics don't need to be 10 man to get the soulreaper, can drop a few to add the Heldrake or somehting else)

Hold on what? Can you elaborate on the change to not needing a 10 man? That change in the dex? Holding out till TSons is released.

It is worded that one rubric may replace his bolter with a soul reaper, if the unit has 20 rubrics, a second rubric can take a soul reaper. The line where it says you need 10 for the first soul reaper is gone.

You just changed my world. MSU Rubrics maybe? Each squad gets a Flame Pistol, Flamer, and Reaper? Or just have one toasty squad that rolls up in a Land Raider and another 5 man in it with bolters and cannon. Alternatively go 9 man and have your Exalted with you, 3 Flamers and your Cannon for a nasty how do you do.

Super cool!

You just changed my world. MSU Rubrics maybe? Each squad gets a Flame Pistol, Flamer, and Reaper? Or just have one toasty squad that rolls up in a Land Raider and another 5 man in it with bolters and cannon. Alternatively go 9 man and have your Exalted with you, 3 Flamers and your Cannon for a nasty how do you do.

Super cool!

And according to the new rulebook which I have in hand; Aspiring Sorcerers no longer have an inflated cost and are just 18 points along with our other rubrics..... 

Meaning min unit of 5 rubricae with aspiring, and soul reaper comes out to just... 126.

Huh......... Although i will wait for GW to address the aspiring sorcerer issue before getting "to" excited, could feasibly have been an omission. Although I fully intend to cram exalted + Rubricae into rhinos with soul reapers and roll up the board. 

I just hope this is not true. I want a TS Codex but one with more unit options then now. Our list ist one of the most if not the most ondimensional of all official lists. And a lot of our existing units  (Helbrute, deamon engines) do not match aesthetically.

I don't want a codex where there are just more psipowers and some stratagems. Sorry, I want a Codex that expands our list. Like what will happen to the death guard.

while I would also love an expanded roster it may, or may not happen. 

It doesn't even necessarily need "new" kits given that we are only missing a couple items from our roster; a unique vehicle of some variety, and a psychic dreadnought (no I wont stop harping that one as its all but a requirement for us to get one eventually) 

But beyond that? the 6 units we have now + the standard Chaos roster of cultist, basic sorcerers, *all* standard vehicle options, and *all* daemon engine options feels fine, though we lack fast slots as of this moment so thats another hole that could be plugged. 

Ill be happy either way. the codex will be fantastic for us in more then one way (psychic chicanery being the obvious huge draw) and our own unique strategems will be much loved when they hit. 

I agree with SoR. I think a Psychic Dreadnought is required for TSons. After that I'm hoping for either Shards of a Silver Tower as a flyer or fast attack (drop pod?), those planes from BoP novel as that's swarm flyer or fast attack, or a skimmer, or Khenati (though Tzaangors feel like they'd compete for the same role so I doubt them).

Any one of the above would add diversity to Chaos and be flavor for TSons.

Psychic Dread would be great. Would also explain where the Helbrute's flesh comes from ...

Also, a bug from new Codex: CSM that has an unintended consequence for Thousand Sons armies (well not really, who would play it this way?):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/338041-death-guardthousand-sons-bug/

Strange that we have that different experiences playing with our units. Helldrakes and fiends seem terrible to me in 8th after seeing them in action a few times, but the Scarab Occult always find a way to shine. I guess it depends on what you are used to meeting on the battlefield and how you like to play your force.

To join the speculation train: I hope they include the disc-shaped skimmers from the Thousand Sons heresy novel.

Strange that we have that different experiences playing with our units. Helldrakes and fiends seem terrible to me in 8th after seeing them in action a few times, but the Scarab Occult always find a way to shine. I guess it depends on what you are used to meeting on the battlefield and how you like to play your force.

To join the speculation train: I hope they include the disc-shaped skimmers from the Thousand Sons heresy novel.

I think learning to use the units to the best or their advantages is very important.

Chop the shooty and shoot the chopy.

In the case of the scarab occult they can sort of do both and if they stay close enough to the other psychic elements of the army they can add their smite to the rest of the team and take stuff down.

As for the mauler, he has been a great fire magnet and getting it into cc is key. So far only grey knights have been very effective against it. The eldar had dakka to bring it down but it was dakka meant for the rubrics so a second mauler and no SoT and they would have had trouble against me.

I just don't think that maulers and helldrakes, even if spammed (which I've seen in action a few times) are any good. 4 attacks hitting on 4+ (mauler) or 3+ (drake) doesn't leave much of anything quaking in terror, meaning a competent opponent will be able to bog you down in melee or retreat in their own turn to shoot at you again, depending on what they prefer. In any case, the daemon engine player is the one left with no choice in the matter and at a disadvantage.

Scarabs are solid objective holders with competent shooting, strong durability and a built in delivery system. The mini-smite isn't worth anything imho, but the other factors make them a very good unit, especially in objective based games.

Archived