++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

agreed. It doesn't even look very good on paper anymore. The targets that you will typically get the extra shots against are the ones that you won't need the crazy strength of the battle cannon for. The predator just makes for a much more reliable platform even if it does cost more, I think it's worth it!

agreed. It doesn't even look very good on paper anymore. The targets that you will typically get the extra shots against are the ones that you won't need the crazy strength of the battle cannon for. The predator just makes for a much more reliable platform even if it does cost more, I think it's worth it!

That's the issue, the las predator is so much more reliable just on virtue on how many more shots it is guaranteed, if the vindicator was d3/d6+1 and didn;t suffer the penalty for moving, then it could be good, as it is the predator or even a hellfire dread provides far more reliable antitank, and against hoardes a rhino with havok launcher is nearly half the price whilst having far better range and general number of shots.

And with us Rubricae can handle most infantry, I admit I haven't faced many hordes yet, but the only ones I have (chaos cultists) wiped themselves out with leadership tests after inferno boltguns and warpflamers inflicted enough casualties.

A fluff (or perhaps painting) question; I´m thinking to paint my rubric marines as sons of the Cyclops (Tzeentch factor of the Black legion) and i´m wondering if I should use the black legion mark or thousand sons on the shoulder pads and veichles? What would you use?

Well technically the Cyclops aren't TSons so the TSons should pads etc. wouldn't be exactly accurate. Then again playing them with TSons rules instead of using Black Legion rules wouldn't be accurate either. In the end it's your army and you can do what you want with them tho. ^^

Well technically the Cyclops aren't TSons so the TSons should pads etc. wouldn't be exactly accurate. Then again playing them with TSons rules instead of using Black Legion rules wouldn't be accurate either. In the end it's your army and you can do what you want with them tho. ^^

Not all of the Sons of the Cyclops are TS, that's true, but most of them are, esp. the Sorcerers if I recall the BL supplement correctly. They have their own Rubricae, who mostly were of TS origin. My allied BL CSM are all Sons of the Cyclops so I could put fluff normal CSM and Chosen etc into my lists.

I was thinking to use the thousands sons rules as I still think they operate and work as thousands sons even if they are part of the Black legion (with rubrics and all).  But I´m leaning to paint there symbols as black legion (together with black armour, gold markings and blue cloth, according to the book).

does anyone else hope that GW gives us a lord/lieutenant type character that can get normal hq type wargear and weapons? I've got a few from 3rd edition that I really liked fielding and haven't really been able to in a pure Sons list for years.

The one thing I detest about the indexes is the lack of options. I have plenty of cool units and conversions from both 30k and 40k I'd love to field, but I can't use as thousand sons. Sekhmet terminators with axes. The 30k Ahriman model. A conversion of Khayon with his axe - but of course Exalted Sorcerers can't have axes because reasons... It's a small gripe, but it has big consequences for my enthusiasm for the hobby. I love converting and making up weird themes - but if all you can play are the very specific options that come with the different box sets then that puts a huge limit on your ability to make your army your own.

I have a feeling the Exalted Champion they mentioned will likely be our traditional melee HQ option. I hope they come with Scarabs :biggrin.:

I would imagine when our codex gets done we will have a "lesser sorcerer" lieutenant equivalent that gives some kind of minor buff. 

We already have Daemon princes and Exalteds for hits/invuls respectively. 

To be fair though, the jndexes aren't meant to be a permanent rule set, just a stand in for us to get by on until a full codex lands. So for what it is I think it's fine. I'm actually really stoked that we will be getting our own codex!

I also think that the rule set in particular makes spending points on something like a lord more appealing to me as we currently can only attempt to cast so many non-smite powers per turn.

Currently I also am excited about having our own codex, but I have two reservations about it one...my codex isn't up for preorder and the other being what if it languishes in care and upkeep as tends to happen with fringe rulesets.

Things I would like to see in the codex

MOAR Tzaangors...i love these guys so maybe the Shaman, enlightened or skyfires. I think could do well to maybe operate big guns maybe like skaven.

Khenati war sect and then maybe a Lord or lieutenant would make sense. I'm not sure codex TS will get the exalted champion model because we already have a greater and lesser sorcer in the HQ slot.

My greatest fear is that it will be just the CSM just trimmed down to meet restricted list like in the index....oh and expanded demon options would great.

That's fair. I think we will likely have a better idea of the general feel for it when the DG codex drops as I can't see them being too different in overall scope even though it will differ in content.

Looking at the detailed description for both CSM and Grey Knights offers hints of what to expect. 6 warlord traits, 6 relics, approx 16 strategies. GK has around 32 datasheets. I am not up on that army but I believe generic SM units would fill a lot of those so I am guessing if it can have 1000 son keyword it will be included.

What is interesting is psychic powers. Knights getting 7, 6 from the Santic discipline plus smite and csm having 10, specifically 6 dark heretic, smite and 3 additional for each of the major gods sans Khorne.

One hopes this means 6 powers for 1000 sons in addition to smite.

I am feeling more and more optimistic on our power selection and use of strategies to possibly enhance casting, denials, perils mitigation etc...

Now I just need to know when we get ours.

That's 10 points (my Rubric and Occult squads) I'll be saving on nearly every list I play. Those 10 points have been gang busters so I'll be excited to see what we can do with Daemon Engines and TSons now!

Also, I'll be curious to see the TSons specific Stratagems that will effect specific units. I wonder what effects they'll have! I'm wondering if we'll be the Daemon Engine legion?

As an aside, disappointed in the Tzeentch Eye! +1 only on Smite vs anything else involving psyhic based would have been nice. It won't matter for us when the codex comes out, or even now as I like many options, but that's a stinker if I've ever seen one.

I would say you can use the most up-to-date rules as it pertains to models. Although I'll probably hold of on the CSM codex and wait for the TS codex proper. Having moved and starting an extremely demanding program I barely have time to to paint let alone play games.

That's 10 points (my Rubric and Occult squads) I'll be saving on nearly every list I play. Those 10 points have been gang busters so I'll be excited to see what we can do with Daemon Engines and TSons now!

Also, I'll be curious to see the TSons specific Stratagems that will effect specific units. I wonder what effects they'll have! I'm wondering if we'll be the Daemon Engine legion?

As an aside, disappointed in the Tzeentch Eye! +1 only on Smite vs anything else involving psyhic based would have been nice. It won't matter for us when the codex comes out, or even now as I like many options, but that's a stinker if I've ever seen one.

Actually when I saw the Psychic abilities for Tzeentch I became pretty excited about what this means for Thousand Sons. But to be completely honest I don't want the army to unfold into this giant Mortal Wound machine that can't be dealt with.

Also VERY glad to hear about Soulreapers. They were starting to get pulled from all my lists based on what they give you over a default gun for the points.

I'm really interested in seeing how well VotLW will work with deep striking SOT's, and then if you have a guaranteed charge (probably with warptime) maybe using diabolic strength (assuming it targets a unit and not just a model, I haven't been able to tell which) to be wounding MEQ and TEQ on 2+'s with a -3 rend!

Though maybe I'm putting too many eggs in the basket that way...

GENTLEMEN.  

Dark hereticus; can we use it from the chaos codex? Deathwatch may from the index into the marine book.... Can 1k sons do the same? 

Second- Soul reapers are now 15 points each.....They were great already at 20...but yay for cheaper!!! 

Yes I would like to know too. There seem to be a lot of changes in point cost especially for vehicles. Do we have to use the rules of the index with the older point costs and the fewer spells? It would be nice if we could use the generic strategems and relics too.

Does anybody know if there are rules for scarab occult, Tzangors and exalted sorcers in the new codex?

There will be a new codex for us but I don't think it will come soon. I would hate being stuck on older rules and point costs. And I don't like having to buy a codex just for some point changes for a few units too but having to ignore most of the other new stuff like the expanded discipline, strategems etc.

Archived