++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

Thats sort of where i disagree. Sure the maulers arent what they used to be but i find that they can make most high toughness units quake. Even if they back off you have a steady advancing army pinning the opponent down if he just focusses on the mauler and in this edition they dont die in one turn so they are out there doing there thing for us for a couple or more turns. I look forward to adding a sorceror on disk to support my advancing daemon engines while my rubric line steadily supports them.

Mini smite alone is useless. But if you have a target you want to focus down...mini smite has provided me with 3-9 extra mortal wounds on said target. Sure the herald and exalted sorceror are reaponsible for 2-12 mortal wounds themselves and the daemons can throw 1-3 onto the mix occasionally but i am never regretting an additional mortal wound or three unto a target i want dead and the SoT do their part

Having the opportunity to do the mini smite when necessary is better than not having that choice - but I consider it a small thing compared to the firepower, durability and tactical flexibility through the delivery method that a scarab occult unit provides.

You are advocating playing the mauler as a "distraction carnifex"? I just rarely bother with them. Sure, they can topple a rhino given a little help and a few turns, but I'd rather send some brimstone horrors or tzaangors to bog them down for the rest of the game rather than use shots on them. Warp time is helpful when making maneuvers like these. When/if the enemy maulers are the only viable target in range, I'll just retreat with my chaff and shoot them to pieces. Still, I usually play with Magnus or Knights on my side, so taking down a Mauler isn't much of an issue.

with you on the psychic dreadnaught! I honestly would like a more unique option if we get another fast attack option. The silver tower would be pretty cool. There is a thousand sons fan codex that I'm sure some of you have seen had a couple of really cool options. The one I liked most was rubricae riding disc summoned by the lead sorcerer making for a highly mobile firing platform for a squad of rubrics. (Which in that codex also had the ability to make it a pretty decent close combat option as well...)

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but flipping trough the codex today, I noticed that Rubric Marines don't need to be 10 man strong in order to take a Soulreaper Cannon.
They still need to be 20 strong for 2 Cannons, but you can have 1 Cannon in a 5man-squad.

I think they had to up their first power a bit since they are no longer troops. Really looking forward to our codex, with grey knight dread knights getting hqs in them could we see exalted sorcerer helbrute?

I think they had to up their first power a bit since they are no longer troops. Really looking forward to our codex, with grey knight dread knights getting hqs in them could we see exalted sorcerer helbrute?

I would wet myself out of joy.

I wouldn't hold my breath as much as I want a psychic dread HQ. I wouldn't mind expanded Fast Attack options either. I also wonder if TS will be able to take Lord or Exalted Champions in the new 'dex.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but flipping trough the codex today, I noticed that Rubric Marines don't need to be 10 man strong in order to take a Soulreaper Cannon.

They still need to be 20 strong for 2 Cannons, but you can have 1 Cannon in a 5man-squad.

If that holds true min-max it is. I just hope rubrics will continue to be troops and not relegated to the elites. I dont know what else could stand in as a solid troops choice for TS or if Scarab Occult Terminators would ever get used again.

If you haven't noticed on WarComm there is an Index: Chaos FAQ 1.2 and on top of that we can use the full list of Dark Heretics powers provided we have C:CSM.

I'd say whatever DG ends up with as new content we should see it similarly with TS. Loyalists have had it good for a long time and GW saw DG/TS as Chaos' legions to rebrand or rebuild the fan base. It'd surprise me if TS didn't get something significant with the codex as I'd otherwise expected a tandom release with DG to settle things and begin to phase into Xenos and Loyalists until the next big Legion

Either way, I'm sure we'll get some good rules. I'm just confident that GW has something up their sleeves with how much talk TSons have got in the fluff recently. You're telling me Magnus shows up to Robutes house to see his new toys but comes without something new up his sleeve?

Provided we get the rate of goodies that the [small] GK codex got, I'd be 100% happy.

What do mean? What did they get? Other then the grandmaster dreadknight.

I'm assuming our codex will be just the list in the Index plus a smattering of relics, stratagems, and psychic powers.

I've been thinking of adding a squad of rubrics to my Black Legion. Upon looking at the codex entry, I'm thinking a good way to run them would be two 5 man squads with bolters and a soul reaper cannon, sharing a rhino. For a small increase in points you get double reaper cannon shots, double smite and double force weapons on top of mitigating morale issues.

Thoughts?

I've been thinking of adding a squad of rubrics to my Black Legion. Upon looking at the codex entry, I'm thinking a good way to run them would be two 5 man squads with bolters and a soul reaper cannon, sharing a rhino. For a small increase in points you get double reaper cannon shots, double smite and double force weapons on top of mitigating morale issues.

Thoughts?

If you can min-max then yeah pretty much that might be a good way to go.  If that is how it works in C:Thousand Sons I can't imagine anyone would play the Scarab Occult.  Maybe one or two warpflamers/warpflame pistol for protection against assault (well i  guess within 8")

Saw where someone posted a pic of FB exchange between them and GW, (I think War of Sigmar) in regards to 1k sons using the new DH in the new CSM Dex.  they seem to allude that we could also wait for the respective dex and implied it was coming soon.

My money is on it coming before the winter holidays.  Just a guess though.

Saw where someone posted a pic of FB exchange between them and GW, (I think War of Sigmar) in regards to 1k sons using the new DH in the new CSM Dex.  they seem to allude that we could also wait for the respective dex and implied it was coming soon.

The new Warhammer Community article with the Daemon Errata flat out says that Thousand Sons and Be'lakor can use the new DH if they so choose.

The new Warhammer Community article with the Daemon Errata flat out says that Thousand Sons and Be'lakor can use the new DH if they so choose.

Yes, which is awesome! I was just mentioning that in a FB exchange on War of Sigmar someone posted their exchange with the community via screen shot.   They implied we could also wait for the 1k dex, which they said was due very soon.

Won a local event 18 person event this weekend with Sons/Daemons.  I love how good Rubrics feel in the new rules.  They were my dedicated point holders and far exceeded their expectations, only dying to some major Smites and Vortex of Dooms from a GK GM in Baby Carrier.  It was ruled that we could use the DH powers from the book as well as Warlord Traits and Stratagems.  We'll see if this continues for the future locally, based on GW's reaction; because +1 wound and 6+ FnP on Magnus was pretty epic.

The whole army works together so well, and seemlessly fits together with Daemons, it's amazing.  I'm very happy with 8th ed so far..

Congrats Vilicate. I knew you were back but I didn't know you were doing Thousand Sons!

It'll be interesting to see how those rulings go moving forward. I know for instance the 'other' loyalist marines keep asking GW to take advantage of the point cost adjustments in the Astartes codex, and use them towards their BA, SW, or DA.

I'm also curious to see now with the Chaos Dex out how daemons will work with Thousand Sons. I'm assuming if they aren't summoned it will probably 'break' the detachment keyword benefits.

We have a local guy that runs tons of Brimstones and mini-smites people off the table, gaining the -1 to hit from Changeling and uses Magnus as well. I just personally am steering my Thousand Sons away from that. I do have some Horrors I wouldn't mind using more often, but I have a feeling once the official codex hits the shelves that might be a lot harder/more penal.

I'm also waiting on a Sons codex before deciding which chaff units to consider. I prefer daemons to cultists and Tzaangors, but I'm leery on dropping cash on daemons and having the rules discourage daemons/Sons in the same list.

I've actually been really liking the Tzaangors.  If I were going to run pure 1ksons I'd definitely take them as my chaff units over cultists; the T4 and 5++ seem like really nice buffs for the points increase.  Also, how crazy is AP-1 from their CCW?  I missed this on my first readthrough, but man they really punch above their weight - I had a unit of 10 (granted, some hot dice) kill 12 Stormboyz in one round of close combat.

Congrats Vilicate. I knew you were back but I didn't know you were doing Thousand Sons!

It'll be interesting to see how those rulings go moving forward. I know for instance the 'other' loyalist marines keep asking GW to take advantage of the point cost adjustments in the Astartes codex, and use them towards their BA, SW, or DA.

I'm also curious to see now with the Chaos Dex out how daemons will work with Thousand Sons. I'm assuming if they aren't summoned it will probably 'break' the detachment keyword benefits.

We have a local guy that runs tons of Brimstones and mini-smites people off the table, gaining the -1 to hit from Changeling and uses Magnus as well. I just personally am steering my Thousand Sons away from that. I do have some Horrors I wouldn't mind using more often, but I have a feeling once the official codex hits the shelves that might be a lot harder/more penal.

Yeah, I get that.  I'm working on figuring out what army I want to take to LVO, so I've had to put on my purely competitive hat.  I end up running two battalions (one of Daemons and one of 1ksons) for the extra command points, so I assume I won't be losing too many of my perks; each being their own detachment.  Plus 9 command points is always nice.

But I've been switching around trying to decide what army to take; my Chaos, my Nids or my Eldar.  Hard to choose!

personally I find horrors paired with a herald a good backfield objective holder. give the herald the staff of change and she/he/it can smite up to 24" away which has proved very useful in the past.

I've actually been really liking the Tzaangors. If I were going to run pure 1ksons I'd definitely take them as my chaff units over cultists; the T4 and 5++ seem like really nice buffs for the points increase. Also, how crazy is AP-1 from their CCW? I missed this on my first readthrough, but man they really punch above their weight - I had a unit of 10 (granted, some hot dice) kill 12 Stormboyz in one round of close combat.

Yeah, I get that. I'm working on figuring out what army I want to take to LVO, so I've had to put on my purely competitive hat. I end up running two battalions (one of Daemons and one of 1ksons) for the extra command points, so I assume I won't be losing too many of my perks; each being their own detachment. Plus 9 command points is always nice.

But I've been switching around trying to decide what army to take; my Chaos, my Nids or my Eldar. Hard to choose!

Note: Ahriman or an Exalted Casting Weaver of Fates gives them a 4++ and proximity to that character gives them rerolls of 1 on those invulns. At that point, they're almost CC Rubrics. Take a max sized squad, the Inspiring Leader Warlord Trait, and Warptime them forward to cause havoc while your leader Advances to keep up.

Thanks for your insight Vilicate. I agree on paper the Tzaangors look good from a rules perspective.

Honestly, it likely comes down to not looking forward to painting the Tzaangor models. I'd rather paint daemons, but if they don't have good synergy with the 'Sons I'll bite the bolter shell and paint beast men.

Archived