++ The Brotherhood of Dust - A Thousand Sons Community ++

So thanks to the DUI AD BELLI painting  thing I have mostly completed everyone I had unfinished and I am now looking to expand my army and vastly expand my collection.  I haven't played a game in 8th and I am looking building a list of cheap troops with with a few big monsters to maximize command points so here goes.  Looking for suggestions and constructive criticism it should come out to be about 1961 points.  I want as close to 2000 as possible

Tzeentch Demon/Thousand Sons

Battalion 1

Kairos Fateweaver

Changling

Herald of Tzeentch on burning chariot (with blue horrors)

Troops x3 of the below

horrors

pink (1) (with blues purchased fir split)

Brimstone (9)

Battalion 2

Ahriman w/disk

Demon prince (wings, malefic talons, warp bolter)

Troops x3

Tzaangors (10)

Flyer

Heldrake (Baleflamer)

Super Heavy Auxillary

Magnus the Red

My current concern is the number of drops as Im almost guaranteed to not get first turn even if I reserve the changling/herald and brought on via summoning.  Lack of Range firepower, but I hope to have that made up with heavy hitters in a sort of alpha strike.  Ahriman is in the back with he changling and the horrors.  Ahriman has the disk so he will be harder to hit, Herald up front adding +1 strength to I think everything else including the heldrake.

last tidbit is with Kairos as my warlord I get +D3 command points so that is 10-12 command points each game.

My worry about that list is that I'm not entirely convinced it has as many heavy hitters as you would think. Sure kairos is a really tough nut, and when used properly daemon princes can be very nice (I had one crush asurman in one round of attacks last Saturday), but that's mostly it. I think Ahriman is good enough to be an auto-include for his points, but he's not the psychic machine gun that he used to be.

Heldrakes are an awesome unit, but they cannot kill most of a squad every turn like they used to. They are much better at harassment and baiting/diversionary tactics from what I've noticed. Though I have to admit they would do very well at locking down a heavy weapons unit.

Just so you know, there has been an FAQ to horrors where unless the squad has at least 10 pink horrors their smite only does 1 mortal wound upon successful casting.

Overall I'd say you have an extremely resilient list that I don't think is likely to kill enough things fast enough to make good use of that resilience.

I could be wrong though.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

That's my thoughts also. I think using a Vanguard/Outrider/Spearhead detatchment for the TSons and a battalion for Daemons and OBSec is the smoothest way.

Fewer CP but lets you use the cheap troops for OBSec. Use the TSons for your Hammer troops, Daemons as a Sheild.

Edit: Let it be known I'm not a fan of Demon spam for CP or OBSec but it's probably the best option to pinch points for TSons.

Has anyone had luck using Chaos contemptors? I recently got a Venerable contemptor with twin lascannon and claw second hand and I'm thinking it could be nice complement to my normal dread hellbrutes and rbing my Tsons more anti tank.

Turns out our contemptors can't take lascannons, for some reason. I asked on their FB page and never got an answer as to why (is it a mistake or intentional).

That is disappointing, will have to use it for my heresy armies then.

Been trying to find some new firesupport for my Tsons as my vindicators don;t cut it anymore, I'm thinking maybe a disco predator or Sicaran with maybe the Vindicators as distractions, but they are pretty pricey for next to no punch.

In my last game I felt my auto/las predator had the potential to pack quite the wallop, but to be fair I was rolling like crap and my opponent made way too many 6+ saves... if the rolls were more average I think I would have been extremely happy with it! Plus, with the autocannon I don't feel like shooting at infantry would have been a waste.

Guys, I asked this in the WE thread ( yes I play World Eaters too)

so further to Forgeworld I just received my Decimator. I haven't glued the arms on so this is a two fold question:

1 Should I use the Decimator with my WE or would it be better served in my Thousand Sons? ( considering unit cost and role)

2 Should I go with 2 Soulburner Petards? Or 1 Soulburner petard and a claw? ( I can't see magnetizing the elbows, it's so brittle and finicky)?

Thoughts?

If you're okay with it I'd run double Soulburners regardless. This applies primarily to WE, but one could make the argument both ways.

If something teleports in and charges your flamer in claw is useless. If something gets into melee your unit is likely inert or dead. +2/-3 isn't clearing hordes and the point of the unit is to deal wounds regardless of save. You should be supporting this unit with a bubble wrap to keep assaults back any way, and WE's have a lot of options for that. Additionally, WE have fewer mortal wound options overall due to lack of Psykers.

For TSons I'd still go double burner. It's so powerful, and you can use a DP for RR 1's and Prescience to hit on 2's with no degrading. The argument for claw can be made with TSons because you have less models to keep things away without using Daemons (ie. splitting horrors) and it's nearly guaranteed to get into melee.

Burners are too good. I can see them being nerfed eventually, but as is they're undeniably the best option currently.

Fill your horde and assault quota elsewhere Sons of Khorne. Magnus relishes mortal wounds as all his followers force their will in his wake.

I went looking for predators this past weekend. Nobody local (nor GW online) had them so I went to Forgeworld. I picked up two decimators and the newer 1K Sons Contemptor with the dual auto cannons.

I'm going to run one decimator with dual siege claws for monsters or dedicated CC units. The other will have dual butcher cannons. With decimators not diminished when taking wounds I figured they would be the best options for covering up my CC and longer ranged firepower deficiencies.

I looked at the Rapier option as they are very attractive on paper. However, I thought I saw 1K Sons can't take them. Of course, I can't find that now. Kromlech legionary heavy weapon platforms are an option, if FW prices are too much. At 60 points each the soul burner seems to be very expensive to me.

If you're okay with it I'd run double Soulburners regardless. This applies primarily to WE, but one could make the argument both ways.

If something teleports in and charges your flamer in claw is useless. If something gets into melee your unit is likely inert or dead. +2/-3 isn't clearing hordes and the point of the unit is to deal wounds regardless of save. You should be supporting this unit with a bubble wrap to keep assaults back any way, and WE's have a lot of options for that. Additionally, WE have fewer mortal wound options overall due to lack of Psykers.

For TSons I'd still go double burner. It's so powerful, and you can use a DP for RR 1's and Prescience to hit on 2's with no degrading. The argument for claw can be made with TSons because you have less models to keep things away without using Daemons (ie. splitting horrors) and it's nearly guaranteed to get into melee.

Burners are too good. I can see them being nerfed eventually, but as is they're undeniably the best option currently.

Fill your horde and assault quota elsewhere Sons of Khorne. Magnus relishes mortal wounds as all his followers force their will in his wake.

Some good advice, thanks.

I know burners are good, but the very week I ordered them they doubled in point cost which was a bit hard to swallow. I know they have great damage potential, but I find the game is so destructive now if be shocked if it lasts more than a turn of being in LoS. :)

Thanks for the input I had the same concerns.

I i think adding a spearhead detachment would be good in place of the TS battalion detachment.  I really like Predators x3 but i think a mix of forge fiends or a defiler (...i know rite!?) would work better as they could sit in the back field and benefit from the Changling.  I think playing a purely TS detachment trilas pred or autocannon/las preds are the way to go (especially if the TS codex has the killshot) but if its mixed the demon engines have better synergy even though they worse BS.

I was messing around and tried two 5-man units with a soulreaper and 3 warpflamers in rhinos. It worked spectacularly but I dont see myself doing it a lot.

Also, a friend needed some quick cash and offered me 10 plastic rubrics for $20. Ummmmmmm yes please. So now I have 36 of them! 

I *want* to take 3 units of them when our codex comes out. 

I feel like Changeling is a bit of a trap atm. Stock for TSons it only effects Magnus, Daemon Engines, HQ choices with Disc, and DP.

I feel like TSons are beginning to have a very Daemon focus, at least in their meta.

What kind of Strategems do you guys expect to see? If we did get new units what do you think we'd see? I'm thinking Tzaangors or Rubrics on Disc for fast attack and maybe a Stratagem that forces a power through a deny test? I guess I'm curious what kind of conjecture the community has.

If we get new units probably ports of Tzaangors from AoS. I wouldn't mind seeing the rule for the icon come to 40k. It might be worth 10 points then. Im not expecting much else...cc rubrics night be cool, psychic dread

Edit: :censored: did I just write

Anyway, I just want new stratagems because GK got 2 pages worth............................................

I dont think we are getting rubric helbrutes or rubrics on discs or sorcerer helbrutes. Nah man. We got a release. Just fix our points costs

If we get new units probably ports of Tzaangors from AoS. I wouldn't mind seeing the rule for the icon come to 40k. It might be worth 10 points then. Im not expecting much else...cc rubrics night be cool, psychic dread

CC rubrics would be a dream. I get a little misty eyed when ever I think of a squad of Sanakt's.

What you guys think about the legion trait? RR perils tests? +1 Invuln? That's something I wish GW would release. I am starting to worry TSons won't release before end of year!

That is unless they do a Space Wolves Dex with it as the loyalist counterpart.

It will be interesting to see if we will still have access to the dark hereticus discipline as that works really well with TS atm I think. Warptime, Prescience, and Death Hex are invaluable.
I'd be so disappointed if we lost these and didn't get something similar in our own disipline. Maybe we'll get access to both?

Archived