What do people think about Dark Apostles? I was leafing through for ideas and I thought it'd be a cool conversion opportunity, but he seems a bit light on options maybe? Is he worth running around with some Marines to do some face punching?

med_gallery_63428_9407_241400.jpg

Angra of the Psychopomps says go for it.

I think it's an excellent chance to go to town on a character model. Options are light (access to mounts or at least a bike would have been nice!) but you could always give him something like the Crimson Slaughter fallen-crozius...or a fallen chaplain with the burning brand would be cool.

Rules-wise more experienced members can help far more than I but I have heard of them being put into big cultist squads.

What do people think about Dark Apostles? I was leafing through for ideas and I thought it'd be a cool conversion opportunity, but he seems a bit light on options maybe? Is he worth running around with some Marines to do some face punching?

It is better to take a lord or a sorc. Apostols are weak in melee[the tech dude is better, because of the +2 power armor save without being terminator armored], and you can get better buffing from a sorc and the better Ld buff from a lord. Lords are also better gun platforms[not important in the case of this model, but they are].

I would use is as either a lucius [extra syren for a melee squad] or a sorc.

Thanks, this is somewhat as I thought - cool for models not so much for rules. So pretty similar to his loyalist companion then... :confused: Something to add to the "maybe later" list, I'll focus on my Lord and Sorcerer HQ plans :)

I'm really digging the colour scheme! I love halved Space Marine decos, and the colours go really well together.

Some bigger models (Terminators, Obliterators, maybe even a Chaos Dreadnought) would look great in those colours, I think. If you do go with a Dreadnought and don't want to either track down the discontinued FW Dreads or use the Helbrute kit, I have to recommend the Venerable Dreadnought kit. Loads of options, easy to customize, compatible with most heads, and leaving the sarcophagus bare looks Chaos-y as hell. Just select your favourite head from your bitz box, choose the front panels you want, add some Chaos trim with plasticard, throw a few components from the various Chaos sprues to hide some of the more blatantly Imperial parts, give 'im a suitably brutal CCW (I reposed the stock arm using copper tubing and replaced the ends of the fingers with Genestealer scything talons) and you have a nicely chaotic looking Dreadnought that doesn't just look like a Loyalist Dread covered with Chaos and Tyranid parts.

Thanks Squigsquasher, I do want to do some larger models - Termies and Obliterators etc would all be cool. I'm leaning ever more towards Tartaros pattern and considering what may be done to make some Oblits that fit the theme, but that would come much later (perhaps a Centurion base?).

I'm a Dreadnut too so adding some Dreads is always something I think about :P The Venerable kit is really good and would be a great way to build one for the Sunder, it'd also be easier to fit their (relatively) recent turn to renegades :)

How friendly is your meta to trying out homebrew rules? Dark apostles with more options can be found in a lot of stuff people (including myself) have done in homebrew codices.

I find that Dark Apostles aren't bad for the zealot rule, but otherwise are a bit meh.

We tend to be slow updating to things, so mixing things up with homebrew would only make things more complicated. I'm not worried as by the time I get round to thinking about kitbashing myself a Dark Apostle there'd probably be a new CSM codex :laugh.: I'm guessing the rules are very much tied to the existing official model which is probably the main issue so hopefully that will change?

I have plenty of things to keep my busy with for now. Until I finish my ETL work it'll be ruminations for me here (speaking of which, should look into Daemons...), but I'm looking forward to painting some pink once again :biggrin.:

• 5 weeks later...

After a productive day on my ETL vow I decided to get back to pink...

gallery_30308_10249_25382.jpg

The marine on the right got stripped to his primer after the previous attempt but he'll catch up with his brother soon. I've another day on my Knight tomorrow but I expect I'll get a bit more done on these two - maybe even finish them with my vow so I can leap straight into the next batch of five?

After a productive day on my ETL vow I decided to get back to pink...

gallery_30308_10249_25382.jpg

The marine on the right got stripped to his primer after the previous attempt but he'll catch up with his brother soon. I've another day on my Knight tomorrow but I expect I'll get a bit more done on these two - maybe even finish them with my vow so I can leap straight into the next batch of five?

Great to see the Chaos Marine return Warriorfish. Bet your really happy with yesterday release (advance order) with the Horus heresy models.

Is the knight going to be part of your Chaos warband?

Thanks IP, it's good to be back :D The release of the kits is great, I'm planning on getting the BaC box first as with AoD I can use the Cataphractii and Contemptor for my SM and all the MkIV will have my CSM sitting pretty on bits for a while :)

The Knight is Imperial aligned, so she won't be running with the Sunder directly. With so much to do on my Marines first I'm not thinking too far ahead... or trying not to at least :P

Ok, time for the now traditional mid-painting musings... this week it's: Havocs! I'm still planning on the autocannons featuring here, probably more so than being used in CSM squads but are there some particularly good builds out there?

I don't used Devs in my SM, too static but the Sunder are to be different and mostly infantry based so I figured they're a good way to differentiate. Maybe have them mechanised to run up with my CSM squads?

Heavy Bolters are inexpensive and are pretty good against hordes. Now granted, Autocannons are generally more effective but Heavy Bolters are considerably cheaper (I think). Lascannons are expensive, but they're good for popping vehicles.

If only Havocs could take Plasma Cannons...

That's not a bad idea, I do have a couple nifty HBs from the BaC box and will get some more when I get the box proper to flesh out my CSM. Though my group is light on hordes keeping costs down and bullets up sounds like it could be handy, plus I plan to magnetise at the wrists for easy swaps :)

I wouldn't lament the inability to take plasma cannons though... I don't even use them in Tacs these days :lol: Autocannons are much cooler ;)

Thanks guys, looks like I'm along the right track as I was thinking - glories of magnets aside - of running melta CSM squads to do the heavy lifting in particular hopefully slagging transports to assault the contents. I'm still planning on getting the FW models for my sonic weaponry have no fear :) My priority is the BaC box next just in case it goes missing in the near future and then I'll be making my FW order :D

Just need to figure out how I'm going to make the Noise Marines look a bit different, I'm thinking of perhaps using the Sanguinary Guard helmets on them rather than champions but I've my CSM squad to work on first...

• 2 weeks later...

If the new HH box set rumours are to be believed we have Tartaros armour coming in plastic - if so that's my TDA choice made I'm sure! MkIII would probably go to my SM though, looks like I'm set for that BaC order next month to be on the safe side as planned...

My ETL vow is going well and I should have that done before the deadline. Then it's time to throw myself into some power armour once more :D I've been tempted to start my work on the Lord especially as I want to magnetise him a lot. I'm also thinking the Sanguinary Guard/MkIV jump packs for my CSM, should fit nicely and I'll have a a fair number thanks to my purchases for bits.

• 4 weeks later...

Now the ETL is over, I can relax a bit. Unfortunately my painting batteries are feeling a bit burnt out :sad.: So I decided I should do some assembling instead:

gallery_30308_10249_45180.jpg

More MkIV than you can shake a stick at, plus my autocannons and the kakophoni :biggrin.: The kakophoni were more in one piece than I realised, but it was chiefly the weaponry I was after and I'm sure I can adapt the bodies to make them fit in better with a bit of work :smile.: