All but the Cataphractii and Contemptor, who will go to my Marines :) I just remembered that I got some GK models to make librarians as well - two of which are reserved to kitbash some sorcerers :D I've already got a couple HBs, so with the two more from BaC I have a full set. The Kakophoni will be used for Noise Marines :tu:

Going to have lots of infantry, maybe just as well as after seeing Kier's Rhinos! I'm aiming to assemble the heavy weapons at least, maybe a few more general troops and a Champ as well?

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more magnetising, the special weapon Marine is ready:

gallery_30308_10249_13147.jpg

Aside from his other weapons that is. Not sure if I want to use the BaC meltas or not yet.

Next on the list is a couple of grunts, likely with some BP/CCWs to spice things up and for buying CCWs leaving the Champ until last as I'm still not sure how I'm doing them.

I do love the studded shoulder pads, they suit Slaaneshi marines so well. I don't tend to use Loyalist kits as my CSMs are descendants of the original Third Legion (and my Nurgle contingent, when I add them, will be so corrupted by Nurgle's touch that most of their wargear will be twisted beyond recognition) but I did get a studded shoulder pad in a bitz trade, which will be destined for my Land Raider commander.

Speaking of bitz, the Kroot sprue has some bones, chunks of meat and pieces of skin which make for very good grisly trophies for CSM, if you want to make them look more Chaos-y without adding spikes and mutations to their actual armour.

I'm still exploring the mixing and matching of armour bits but I might look at adding bits and bobs on later. They're going to have a strong HH appearance (not least due to BaC) but I'll get a better idea of what I can do and where I'm going once I get a few more done. Not that I need more motivation to finish the squad :P

Got another couple of Marines done tonight (excuse the poor lighting pictures):

gallery_30308_10249_41852.jpg

I'll do some more CCW Marines for the next squad to get a better ratio plus I have lots of sheathed swords I can dot around. Just the Champ left for this squad now :D I'm not quite decided what I'll do yet as I want them to be a bit different to normal troopers. Maybe I'll use the Kakophoni bodies to make them a little different and put them to use?

Thanks, I was originally going to have the chainsword raised a bit but decided against it :) Now I've slept on it I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Champs :( The Kakophoni would be cool (once I give them all helmets) and I will likely not need more than the five but I might end up with them looking too loyalist/30k?

Perhaps I would be better off leaving him for now and finishing what I have? Then once completed they squad might help me get a better overall view of how the army will look and go from there?

If you're divided (not Pantheon-wise, but stylistically ;) ) then yes, putting them on the back burner for a bit isn't a bad idea.

Then again, the squad champions may be a good way to show the Chaotic nature of the warband -and more pronounced so they're clearly 40k rather than 30k- , more pronounced than it is in the rank and file. A time to let loose, go crazy.

That's not a bad idea. As I've experimented more I've come to notice I was more right than I realised equating Chaos appearance to mostly helmets and backpacks... The arms don't make much different and are showing their age unfortunately :( I'm sure I can come up with something once I've got the rest of the squad finished though :)

• 1 month later...

Who else is giddy with anticipation for BoP? It's almost like GW release the HH box sets to accommodate my CSM plans... :laugh.: The Tartaros will form my Terminator cadre and Ahriman will be the start of my TS addition :biggrin.: Not decided on the MkIII yet, their style doesn't really fit the Sunder so I'll probably send them to my loyalists. Or maybe turn them into TSs? Depends on what the kit GW produces is I suppose - I'm eager to learn more of this Rubric Terminator rumour!

Anyway, I'm not just talking I have made some progress. The special weapon Marine has a melta now (sadly the magnet isn't 100% aligned, but close enough) and I'm about half way through the remaining two Marines I'm painting. I'm wondering about spicing some bolters up, they're currently black but I was thinking of having some white or pink? Would that add to some variety, or look too different?

I'm unfortunately flip flopping on what I'm doing for the Champs like Tzeentch on a bad day (or should that be good day?) so I've decided that once I've finished the last of the first five Marines I'll just go straight into painting the four I have assembled. I will have plenty to undercoat soon so he won't be waiting long once I've built him, hopefully this additional time will let me finally decide what the hell I'm doing :confused:

I think I'll do that, especially as I've realised that almost all my armies have black weapons! :tongue.: Will be a good way to follow up on the individuality each Marine has in being a bit different to his peers.

While I like Slaanesh stuff best, Tzeentch has always been a close second though it's mostly the Thousand Sons I like rather than the god so these GW rumblings are all pretty much perfect for my hobby plans :biggrin.: Not so perfect for my finance plans though :laugh.: No doubt I'll get stuck in another decision loop as I try and settle on what colours and model bits to use for my Rubrics... :tongue.:

It's a good vote, I painted the bolters up quick and I'm glad I did as it looks really nice:

gallery_30308_10249_9512.jpg

As you can see I decided to take it one step further: why not have a pink and white weapon? :tongue.: I'll probably add something to the white one, maybe some stripes or perhaps see how small some of the transfers are.

The Marines themselves are coming along well, once I've finished the Leadbelcher it'll be on to the gold and then the models are pretty much there :biggrin.: I reckon a couple more sessions or so should see these done :thumbsup:

Metallics are now done:

gallery_30308_10249_39450.jpg

I may see if a bit more gold is needed somewhere when they're done, as the others have more trim but it might be a nice complement and add variety when all together. Just a little bit left on details and touch ups and all that will remain is the eyes and bases :smile.:

Resistance to the plastic pile is futile!

I think, after my Christmas shopping is added to my current pile, I'll have enough boxes of stuff to last me all 2017.

Not that that won't stop me buying more next year... ;)

You'll be doing your 1kSons in the blue and yellow?

I had thought my 40k purchases were done for the year after I got BaC, but BoP and Made to Order ruined that :P Plenty to keep me busy with at least!

I'm undecided on the Sons (no surprises there I'd wager), the classic scheme is cool but I do like my DIY colours. I'm waiting to see what models GW produces for them as that might inform by decision, or maybe use the BoP MkIII for them :)

Finished the bases on these two in the nick of time as the daylight is going quick. Good job I did the eyes earlier in the day:

gallery_30308_10249_9309.jpg

Now I have five Marines done and can start to see how the army will come together :biggrin.: Amazing what difference a couple more makes but I think it's looking good :thumbsup:

gallery_30308_10249_18389.jpg

I plan to get the four assembled Marines primed in the coming week at the least :smile.:

Finally got my grubby mitts on BoP :D I can't wait to get started on them but I must be strong and resist. I've been rethinking the MkIII and I think they could work, it might be a case of the helmet having to change. I'll see what I can do playing with bits.

I've also done a test Kill Team build. 10 Slaaneshi CCW CSM and a melta and autocannon come out at 198pts neatly. Perhaps a bit expensive for KT but start as you mean to go on... Speaking of which, BoP comes with lots of strapped chainswords for insta-CCW addition to bolter troops. It really was made for me :tongue.: