++ March of the Legions: XX Legion ++

Hyaenidae

Larris Kalk stood over the kneeling astartes in pitch black plate,his bolt pistol wavering before the others helmless face.

sergeant Erasmus Ruemer looked up at the emotionless grill of Kalks helmet,his black lifeless eyes symbolic of the Ravenguard staring now full of amazement and incredulity

"Kalk....this is madness!!" he spat vehemently through gritted teeth .

"we are brothers....sons of the allfather ..we have fought together ..bled together...how many worlds have crumbled beneath our boots?"

the emotionless almost mechanical voice boomed back from Kalk's grill 

"the war has changed brother..the truth is out and the emperors way is a lie and must end for all mankind."

the bolt pistol made the final word, it barked once,the booming crack echoing around the chamber as Ruemer toppled clumsily to the floor a look of shock etched forever on his face below the steaming fist sized crater in his forehead.

Kalk turned away from the man he had called brother for twenty years and activated his vox

"brothers this is Larris Kalk ...it is time to unveil yourselves .our brothers are now the enemy ,take no quarter ...show no mercy

we have work to do 

hydra dominatus

Larris Kalk in full legion plate 

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/daemonclaw/DSCN0757_zpse00faf4c.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/daemonclaw/DSCN0754_zps47444169.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/daemonclaw/DSCN0756_zpsc66cf616.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/daemonclaw/DSCN0755_zpsc844a1aa.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/daemonclaw/DSCN0753_zpsf757009e.jpg

cheers heathens for a fun break from the norm

Excellent work here so far brothers!

So here`s the first pic and quick overview on my entry:

Unidentified Alpha Legionary, Dropsite Massacre. Shayatan pattern Moritat Configuration, advanced Armor Pattern. Note later crusade weaponary modified for operations under conditions resulting from Destroyer type rad and alchem ordonance.

gallery_66914_10143_166488.jpg

Tamiya paints are very nice to work with, but they are model paints as opposed to miniature paints, if that makes sense. You have to treat them more like Model Master than Vallejo or GW. I started with Tamiya and then came to GW/Vallejo and I had trouble making that switch at first too.

Additionally, they aren't great for brushing, but are damn magic for airbrushing.

My first attempt at painting my marine hasn't came out as expected dry.png those Tamiya paints are difficult to use. May need to start again! sad.png

I know what you mean.. I tested them today on a testmini and I had troubles too..

Pretty much what Millicant said. I found that I had to really thin down the Tamiya colours and apply several thin coats to get the desired effect. If you have an airbrush or access to one that's definitely the way to go. If I had an airbrush I'b probably start a XX army...

Alpha Legionare "Alpha"

Alpha Legionare "Alpha" Side

Alpha Legionare Alpha Rear

Well he's done, ill fix up some accompanying fluff for him later.

Just imagine him walking away from a Imperial Army fuel depot blowing up.

And as always, apologies for the :cussty picture quality.

I enjoyed painting the Alpha Legion immensely, and might do a few more :)

I, Grandmaster85, accept my role in this.

I promise to lead the XX Legion into the zone of war, and conduct them to glory.

I will do so no matter the ferocity or ingenuity of the foe.

I pledge my honour to the XX Legion.

On this matter, and by this weapon, I swear.

I, One-eye, accept my role in this.

I promise to lead the XX Legion into the zone of war, and conduct them to glory.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, SalvationOfReason, accept my role in this.

I pledge my honor to the XX Legion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess it's kinda cheating that I had already started my Alpha Legion stuff before this. I need to touch him up and re-do a few bits so here is my Alpha Legion Praetor. I'll do a bit of blurb for him soon :-)

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag332/liam_harrison2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps853f6a5a.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag332/liam_harrison2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3fe28db5.jpg

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag332/liam_harrison2/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1175e03f.jpg

Little Fluff blurb about my Librarian =)

Hekatos Delphat

Presumed Chief Librarian of the Alpha Legion, Master of the Chrythsaor, the Trimorphe

"There are two roads, most distant from each other: the one leading to the honorable house of freedom, the other the house of slavery, which mortals must shun. It is possible to travel the one through manliness and lovely accord; so lead your people to this path. The other they reach through hateful strife and cowardly destruction; so shun it most of all."

- oracular statement of Hekatos Delphat [uncertain source]

As with many of his mysterious brethren, little to nothing can be said for certain about the Alpha Legion Chief Librarian Hekatos Delphat (whose name means  the Holder of the Keys or  the Prophet of the threeformed Truth in old Terran dialects). The best pictorial reference to him is available thanks to the Blood Angels Remembrancer Sahra Johnson, who was present at the Council of Nikaea, where Delphat is recorded as part of the Librarians who spoke for Magnus case.  

Delphat seems to appear both during the Isstvan V massacre and the first battle of Paramar, as sensorium core data ex-loaded from the armour of both Salamanders and loyal Iron Warriors Legionaries suggest. Wheter or not this "Delphat" is the same Marine who was part of the Nikaea Council, or a different Librarian, remains unclear...

C&C are welcome

Some really fantastic work here. I've built and primed my Legionary, and will be posting him up as soon as I've got some paint on him. In the interim, I thought I'd post up the colour text on which I based my Astartes.

+++

The Tongueless War

For the simple reason that no-one was there, no-one saw the Legion arrive. No-one saw the Legion leave, because by that point, there was no-one left alive.

+++

One of the many thousands of counter-Compliance actions undertaken by the Treacher-Legions during the Horus Heresy, the Mos Cumbra campaign – later to enter Inquisitiorial annals as the Tongueless War – saw the Alpha Legion attacking the isolated loyalist garrison on the dustbowl world of Mos Cumbra. 

Information on the campaign, as with almost all Alpha Legion actions, is difficult to confirm as absolutely true or false. However, the following information provides the basic overview of the campaign with which supplicants for the rank of interrogator are presented before they are asked to analyse the events and provide their own conclusions.

Isolated since M31.969, the loyalist elements were likely completely unaware of the events unfolding in the rest of the galaxy. While the Alpha Legion's aims remain ambiguous, it seems likely that their intention was to advise the Imperial garrison that they were to be relieved, then overwhelm them as they redeployed.

Beyond acting as a stepping stone into the distant Clarion Stars, the dusty planet had little strategic value. Nevertheless, the short-lived campaign seems to have been one of dirty, scrappy and unsatisfactory action as the mercurial XXth deployed against isolated bands of warriors every bit as resourceful and adaptable as themselves.

Arriving with a full broadcast, the Alpha Legion's attempt to contact the garrison received no acknowledgement. As their infiltrated reconnaissance forces failed to find the garrison, the expedition was gradually forced to prevaricate, broadcasting increasingly less likely scenarios to explain their delayed landing, all of which fell on a seemingly empty vox. Before the delays could become unreasonably suspicious, the Alpha Legion were obliged to deploy. With Imperial banners a-flutter at their declared landing position, the Alpha Legionaries found no-one present to meet them.

Contact was likely made on the thirteenth day. An Alpha Legion recon patrol failed to report. Four were never seen again, and the remaining member was found bound and null-hooded two days later in the Meretrician desert, dozens of miles from their last known point of contact. On recovery, the Legionary was found to be thrall-tranced, incapable of action beyond reciting a coded message. Analysis using the embedded Imperial idents – old but valid – allowed the XXth to recover a simple, stark warning: Leave. Stay Away.

+++

Galled into action – or perhaps simply intrigued by a foe seemingly able to see through his ruse so completely – Lieutenant Commander Lasko ordered deployment on a war footing, with simple orders to engage and destroy any forces on the planet, regardless of their provenance.

Radiating from the Lin Plateau, where their colleague had been recovered, the Alpha Legion gradually met pockets of increasing resistance. Cloaked by squally dust-storms, Astartes groups ranging from in size from small units to full strike forces began to harry the Alpha Legion columns over the following month; each fading into the scything dust as the Alpha Legion turned to meet them. 

The assailants remained unidentified until the fortieth night of sporadic fighting. A group was finally surrounded and brought to bay around an abandoned settlement, where they were forced to hole up. Slowly but surely, the Alpha Legion company identified and closed potential escape routes as the dawn drew closer, even as they fought off rescue attempts from other groups of the mysterious ambushers. Lasko had been surprised by the enemy's willingness to combat his forces – but was more concerned by their apparent ability to do so effectively. He had anticipated that the experiences of the Isstvan campaign would give his troops the edge, but reported casualties seemed to be remarkably even, especially taking into account the Alpha Legion's frustrating ability to recover seemingly confirmed kills. 

At last, the Alpha Legion showed their consummate skill in their assault on the town, seemingly dropping resistance at two projected lines of retreat, then launching their assault. The unknown force broke for freedom – not through the most obviously weakened, but through the other. This was a fatal mistake. Lasko's double bluff ensured the swift defeat and capture as the Astartes broke through a weak first line before hitting a tangle of Legion killzones, where they were swiflty bracketed and destroyed. Inexplicably identified as VI and VIII Legion troops, Lasko was baffled. The Nostroman and Fenrisian warriors had famously had an antagonistic relationship throughout the Crusade. What had alloyed the groups together so effectively – and further, why were they holding so furiously against 'Imperial' relief?

+++

With the dead deserts broken only by sibilant vox hisses and wordless snarls, the so-called Tongueless war proved short. Hopelessly outnumbered by the Alpha Legion, and with no support, the enemy force was ground down in isolated pockets. Records of the war are understandably patchy; being pieced together from Alpha Legion propaganda and records of the Mos Cumbrans themselves. This is particularly so for the final events of the war. They are known to have involved a parley – in some accounts, a surrender – on the part of a Captain of the VIII Legion named Hestor Raal. Records of such a figure are not found in Imperial records, though a similar name elements are known in records of the Night Lords prior to the Heresy; and it is entirely possible that the notoriously poor communications of the VIIIth simply failed to report his enrollment into the legion. 

If such a meeting did occur, and Lieutenant Commander Lasko attended personally, it seems possible only on one pretext – that the Alpha Legion were offered something they could not resist: information. A delegation of XXth Legion serfs was reported to have gathered at an otherwise unremarkable point in the Whispering Galleries three days prior to the end of the war, an action interpreted by most Inquisitorial staff as an Alpha Legion deployment to answer a call from the hitherto silent VIth-VIIIth legion force. The cloak of silence resumed immediately, and the delegation were returned apparently unharmed to their initial drop-point.

This must have been a point of concern for Lasko, as the drop point would have been studiously hidden – likely double-blindly. Faint encrypted broadcast records drawn from the Legion vessel identified as Epsilon – recovered in M38 as part of the scuttled space hulk The Cell of Revulsion – indicate that a second offer of parley was made. Inquisitorial reports suggest it is possible that Lieutenant Commander Lasko, astutely attended by a large group of veteran Legionaries, met with a tattered handful of survivors. The evidence is scanty: a single vid-capture shows a group of Astartes in dust-scoured ceramite, armed Legion serfs and thralls, and Terran Invigilators. The otherwise unremarkable image was initially assumed to show an Alpha Legion cell, but a single figure, mostly obscured by a Legionary, is shown in Mos Cumbran native attire.

Further analysis of the image reveals an identifiably Nostroman Astartes – the sclera of his eyes are black and wormed through with blue veins; the latter detail discounting photofilter lenses known to be in use by the XXth. Coupled with this image is a tantalising vox-record. Tenuously chrono-synced to the period, we hear a badly distorted voice broadcast on Astartes' battle-frequencies, apparently replying to an introduction.

'Is it so? I must conf-[DISTORTED]-ressing a Primarch is [DISTORTED]-easure – even if he has suffered the humiliating dimini[DISTORTED]-o the rank of Lieutenant Comma-[DISTORTED].' A mnemo-scan reveals a slip of black humour at this point; though the regret that becomes apparent in the speaker's voice is clear even to the non-psychic.

'[DISTORTED]-both know h-[DISTORTED]-remain unsurprised by the Throne's actions; though my Fenrisian colleagues continue to protest that a sanct[DISTORTED]-in itself be sanctioned. Let my final report [DISTORTED]-ders were completed. The Clarion Stars [DISTORTED]-Compliant.'

Whether these intriguing events are in fact related to the so-called Tongueless War is largely irrelevant in terms of when it came to an end; but it is recorded as one of the final campaigns in which the Night Lords fought as loyalists – however unknowingly. Such is the divisive effect of the Alpha Legion's modus operandi: the effects of treachery are often far-reaching; and ripples have a nasty habit of returning to disturb the initial actor...

I, KBA, accept my role in this.

I, ImpiousSmart, accept my role in this.

Archived