Conquest has shipped!

Marshal Rohr

The RG books haven't been great, but I'd say Thorpe gets way more hate than he deserves. My problem with Deliverance lost was mostly how he wrote/incorporated the Alpha Legion into the book, and how the RG responded in kind.

The beautiful thing about this creative universe is that you're only limited by your imagination and execution. We always knew the RG were going to get their heads kicked in at Istvaan; always knew stuff would go down to lead to Corax' nevermore moment. While at first glance it seems like those fundamental plot beats are off-turning in the sense of scope, size, variety, and flexibility of the legion compared to others, like others have said, there are tons of ways to deviate from that script and do your own thing. 

...Also, Alpha Legion Moritat with Generic Pistol and Legion Pistol seems juicier to me. If you can, on top of that, give him the combat array, oh boy.

Generic relic has no "Pistol" rule in the weapon profile, that means the Moritat cannot use it as pistol for chain-of-fire. sad.png

Aw you just broke my heart. Here I was hoping I'd be able to sink a metric ton of points into an insane Moritat. OH WELL. Guess I'll stick to Something + Alpha Legion Relic Pistol (fortuitously I've got some DEldar Wrack Liquifiers sitting around). I'll save the other pistol for a Saboteur or something.

Thorpe gets way more hate than he deserves

At best he is mediocre. He's around the same level as James Swallow. Legions written by them are bland because their prose is bland and their ideas lack DEPTHCHARGE

Fixed that for you ;)

Thorpe gets way more hate than he deserves

At best he is mediocre. He's around the same level as James Swallow. Legions written by them are bland because their prose is bland and their ideas lack depth

I couldn't possibly disagree more. For me, Angels of Darkness will always be one of my all time  favorite BL novels. The character of Astelan has to be one of the greatest addition the 40k Cannon from any BL writer.

As a plus, that book introduced a whole generation of hobbyists to thinking about the Horus Heresy long before it was popular and supported like it is today.

For me, I owe my interest in the hobby and setting of 30k to Gav Thorpe. Calling all his work (as opposed to specific pieces) mediocre does him a disservice.

All that said, different authors are different things to different people.

Yeah I gotta say. Raven Guard are my first love but between the Thorpe's RG books and the Carcharodons Contemptor and meh relic, I'm really nervous going into Corax and other models we'll get.

Yeah I gotta say. Raven Guard are my first love but between the Thorpe's RG books and the Carcharodons Contemptor and meh relic, I'm really nervous going into Corax and other models we'll get.

You'r kidding, right? The RG contemptor is an awesome model!

While this is a purely subjective discussion on the Raven Guard Contemptor and has no real bearing on the Thread, The giant Raven Skull on its chest would kinda disagree, but thats just me...

While this is a purely subjective discussion on the Raven Guard Contemptor and has no real bearing on the Thread, The giant Raven Skull on its chest would kinda disagree, but thats just me...

And that's really all that's RG about it IMO (chains too). I'm a huge fan of Forge World, but that Polynesian tattoo style is horrible. Going to throw away the right leg and left shoulder, sub in the original contemptor pieces. I, too, fear for this crappy style to show up on future models.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. For me, Angels of Darkness will always be one of my all time  favorite BL novels. The character of Astelan has to be one of the greatest addition the 40k Cannon from any BL writer.

As a plus, that book introduced a whole generation of hobbyists to thinking about the Horus Heresy long before it was popular and supported like it is today.

For me, I owe my interest in the hobby and setting of 30k to Gav Thorpe. Calling all his work (as opposed to specific pieces) mediocre does him a disservice.

All that said, different authors are different things to different people.

I'm talking about the quality of his writing (my opinion of course), not how good his stories are at hooking young readers

Young readers tend not to be very discerning readers (I know I wasn't). Mediocre writing is enough to suck them into a cool setting. I will stand by my statement that the works by Gav I've read have been mediocre at best, lame at worst.

I admit that I haven't read Angels of Darkness. I've heard good things about it but after Deliverance Lost, I couldn't bring myself to attempt another one of his works. Perhaps it's an exception to the rule like A Thousand Sons is an exception among McNeill's works  

Back on topic of Conquest, please.

For reasons of political correctness, the reason that the Conquest book was delayed to America was because they needed to rename it "Liberation" :P

We can't call it a crusade or conquest anymore....

Anyway - how do the options fare for Solar Auxilia leaders? Are there any prominent buffs?

I mean....Technically the Alpha Legion had the Mk VI Corvus-Alpha pattern armor that they "Made themselves".... So thats always an option.

A number of legions were offered 'prototypes' of he Mk VI during it's original battlefield tests. Even the IV Legion got a batch of them, but before Istvaan, they decided that the suits were too vulnerable compared to their beloved Mk III plate.

As the war goes on, and equipment get shredded and shattered.... who knows? In desperation, I think even the Iron Warriors would start wearing the Beakie, if there was little choice. Trench warfare isn't normally won by dudes in their skivvies in the 31st millennium.  :P

I mean....Technically the Alpha Legion had the Mk VI Corvus-Alpha pattern armor that they "Made themselves".... So thats always an option.

A number of legions were offered 'prototypes' of he Mk VI during it's original battlefield tests. Even the IV Legion got a batch of them, but before Istvaan, they decided that the suits were too vulnerable compared to their beloved Mk III plate.

As the war goes on, and equipment get shredded and shattered.... who knows? In desperation, I think even the Iron Warriors would start wearing the Beakie, if there was little choice. Trench warfare isn't normally won by dudes in their skivvies in the 31st millennium.  :P

Some trench raiders in mkVI might be nice....

Stealing out in the middle of the night to sabotage enemy emplacements, sap munition points, and take munitions/resources under the noses of the enemy during a siege.

You'r kidding, right? The RG contemptor is an awesome model!

I'm big fan of FW's models and especially contemptors. But I really hate the RG's contemptors model. It's worst contemptor from all range of his "brothers". The FW's implemented some very disputable tirbal marking, tubby torso, and idled to implement number of legion (XIX) as they done for most another legions.

The Mk.IV Dreadnight by FW is awesome, why they cannot made such awesome contemptor, I don't know.

And I realy hate FW for completely unusable Moritat Prime with S4, AP4 pistols. It looks like:

"FW 1st person: Hey, we have to do some cool Moritat for RG, 'cos RG are creators of Moritats etc."

"FW 2nd person: Cool, he will be grim, unshaved, and lone-wolf. He will be connected to the Death. He will be greatest Moritat from all another Moritats. He will be Moritat PRIME!!!"

"FW 1st person: Wow, it sounds realy good. Hey, what the rules he will have?"

"FW 2nd person: Rules? em... OK, 4 for this one, 4 for this one, it will be so and so... OK. Do you like him?"

"FW 1nd person: Ups... blink.png "

But I still like my RG and don't think to change legion :)

But I still like my RG and don't think to change legion smile.png

I bleed XIX, and yet the urge to pick up new Legions and factions temps me with every release. I'm sure Conquest will be no different. To avoid bankruptcy, I've limited my 30K armies to 1 loyal legion, 1 traitor legion, and the Mechanicum. That last one will null and void the previous statement about avoiding bankruptcy laugh.png

Got my copy tonight.

Still trying to digest everything. There's a bloody metric ton of fluff and ideas running through these pages. 

Def's liking what  I've read so far. Especially the tidbit about the accelerated recruitment processes. 

Archived