WarriorFish's AdMech and Knight House Blog

WarriorFish

This is one of those projects where it feels like you make hardly any progress and suddenly you hit that threshold and think "I'm almost done!"... not there yet :tongue.:

gallery_30308_12009_15689.jpg

gallery_30308_12009_35556.jpg

This is all the metallics done (three in total) on the torso, which means I can pick a weekday this week to attack with the wash :biggrin.: Runelord Brass is a nice colour but it doesn't cover so well... After the wash it's optics time! As I mentioned earlier there is plenty of spare for me to experiment with so I'm confident that I can get it right - just a matter of how much I need to play first. Assuming I don't make a mistake in the production run that is :laugh.:

I will be looking at sorting my paints in the week too, as I won't be able to hit a store up personally until the following week at the earliest and I'd like to get that sorted. Currently in discussions with some in my group for a collective online order to rectify this :wink:

Bit of a later job than I had planned, but it's good to see what finally feels like real progress - albeit only a start:

gallery_30308_12009_9778.jpg

gallery_30308_12009_11672.jpg

All I've got left is a bit of Agrax Earthshade on the bronzes and I'm ready for the optics! Unfortunately I have a busy bank holiday weekend but Monday should be free for me to bugger everything up :laugh.:

I'm sure it'll be fine, I've planned it all out :wink: Got an idea for colouring the fibres too but we'll see how that goes - I'll document it all as usual of course :) I've done some poking online for the Warden sprue and as you'd expect the scalpers are out doing their thing. If only they were a little bit cheaper it wouldn't be so bad, but as it stands it appears that for the price I could get half a Knight thanks to the Renegades box... which to me feels like a pretty bad deal overall!

I'll have to see what I can find. I've also done a bit more on the lore for the house too so I can post that up once I've done a bit more. Oh, and today I renamed the topic to better reflect what it'll become :D

It might be the lighting but it seems very dark right now. Do you want to keep it that way to look oily and grimy? A light drybrush of a brighter silver would make some of it pop, but if it's your choice it's cool. It's not bad, per se.

It's the lighting, daylight has long gone and my camera isn't the best anyway never mind in poor light. My goal is to get the surrounding area ready for the optics, highlighting will come at the end should I decide it needs it, I'll need to see it with the other colours on and such before I can decide.

Just made a quick order to Element Games to grab my new paints - they'll be with me next week which should be in plenty of time before I need them :D Thanks to everyone who helped make the decision, it was just what I needed :)

I didn't really expect this to work, but even so I thought some coloured pens might do better than this:

gallery_30308_12009_7511.jpg

So not a bad quick test but I did hope that it might work and save me some effort. On the positive side it's great that the lights are so strong, they should certainly be noticeable. I'll see if I can find anything to act as a filter on the model. I don't think I do, but it'd surely work albeit at more effort so there's still some hope for colours yet.

Since the lighting work is postponed for today, I've been working on getting the rest of the Knight ready. I've ordered what should be decent filters for the lights and primed all but the base/feet. While I was waiting between coats I started on the highlighting:

gallery_30308_12009_27762.jpg

Not a great "before" picture! The order is all over the place with things I'm doing but as long as I'm moving closer to completion that's what counts. With this I might aim to finish the entire torso first but we'll see what happens :smile.:

Work is stopping for the day now, but good progress was made I feel :smile.: The torso is all but done and the other painted bits ready for the next stages. With most of the model primed I can busy myself with the other metallics while I wait for the paints and filters I need. I've been giving some thought to the colour usage, and I'm thinking predominately going with the blue, with some white e.g. on the cowl and as part of the heraldic bits.

Speaking of which, does it matter how you do the colours/symbols on the legs and shoulder pads? Other than aquilas to denote Imperial alignment of course, but otherwise is it mostly up to me?

Last but not least I've done a bit more on the background of both the Knight House/world and pilot so hopefully I can get that posted soon. I'm going with a strong German theme, with a few nods to other things like mythology. The house will have several families, all competing to be voted in as the leader - I'm having a bit of fun mixing all the contradictory undemocratic things in, in true 40k style :laugh.:

Even though it's just a single colour on the legs it makes a big difference, the light is visible at the end of the tunnel:

gallery_30308_12009_7904.jpg

Random Marine fell out and now likes to pose with my current projects until I can be bothered to put him with the others :P

There are four lights, two smaller ones between the eyes so I'm thinking of using two colours in some combination. Red/green or red/blue are my first thoughts, but I have plenty of colours to play with.

I'm wondering how it might work if I placed the lights a little back from the filters, if it might alter how it looks. I should get time over the weekend to experiment :)

Archived