WarriorFish's AdMech and Knight House Blog

WarriorFish

How does Mechanicus Standard look as a highlight for Eshin? It's a bit lighter. I have also had a hard time coming up with good, subtle highlights for darker grays, so I'm intrigued to see what you do and how it works out!

Thanks Tyriks, I'm not familiar with Mechanicus Standard but it looks very similar from what I can see. Might be on the darker side though? I found Thunderhawk blue which according to GW's images looks like it might be a good one. Unfortunately I have neither paint :P

Mechanicus Standard is very dark, but it looks like Eshin is darker based on holding the two bottles next to each other at the store. I will have to look into thunderhawk!

I got some work done yesterday which let me make excellent progress today:

Proper respect paid to the AdMech:

gallery_30308_12009_19202.jpg

Weapons done save for touch ups and details!

gallery_30308_12009_21074.jpg

gallery_30308_12009_11103.jpg

Also the other two masks done:

gallery_30308_12009_7485.jpg

gallery_30308_12009_15789.jpg

A long day but worth it :) The Eshin Grey needs some touching up and highlighting and the carapace needs metallics but then all the remains is the detail work. It won't take too long to do the purity seals (thinking green?) and lenses. Oh, and the base as always... but I should be able to get that done easily enough over a few evenings :D

Then there's my additions to do, which shouldn't take long once I've figured the last little bits out. I'm planing to save them until the final completion ;)

A great bit of progress today! Not only did I prime all the remaining bits but I also got a fair bit done on the base too :biggrin.: The sand only needs its wash now and I've prepared the water effect areas with some PVA that should prevent leakage. I did the same on my Leviathan and I'm fairly certain it worked well so this will be the proof :smile.:

gallery_30308_12009_27406.jpg

I also gone some work done on the feet, mostly concentrating on the right one. They won't take too long to finish, then I can attack with Agrax to leave just the water bits and side along with some grass before its done.

gallery_30308_12009_11646.jpg

Work will continue again on Sunday where I expect to have the bulk of the Knight finished :biggrin.: I've decided that for the moment at least I may leave the transfers off, or perhaps only do a few. I still have unreasonable hopes of some freehand but would need a lot of training before I could be confident in pulling it off. There's still the "extras" to come so she should still look a bit special along with the fibre optics :wink:

Very much so :biggrin.: Today was a pretty productive one, though I didn't get as much time as I had hoped I managed to touch up all the Eshin Grey and purity seals and mostly do the base:

gallery_30308_12009_38796.jpg

As you can see from the poor(er) quality light is fading now, but I just need to tickle the right hand foot with Badab Black then I only need to do the bronze and it's just a matter of washing the base and sorting the water bits and sides which won't take long :smile.:

I also did completed some of the extras I've been vaguely mentioning on and off and confirmed that my plans for that are working nicely so look forward to that when she's done, I'm pretty pleased with it so I hope you like it too :biggrin.: So, now I can safely break down what is remaining into bullet points:

• Leadbelcher on carapace
  • Highlight Eshin Grey
  • Lenses
  • Finish purity seals (mostly seals and scribble script)
  • Bronze on feet
  • Water effect on base
  • Base wash and sides
  • Last bits on the "extras"

I might do a bit of GS work on the head too, noticed a bit of light escapes from the side. Shouldn't be too hard to fill in but I'll need to be careful as I'll need to repaint it and it has been washed and highlighted already and I'd rather not have to redo an entire side! Then it's just deciding on how many transfers I'll do, even if that ends up as none because I haven't decided how badly I want to ruin everything with freehand :laugh.:

Doesn't look that much when put down as about 10 tasks, especially when I can do most of them during the evenings... :biggrin.: However next weekend will be busy and I might not get any vow time so I may have to wait until the final weekend to complete the more detailed stuff. I suppose that makes for a more dramatic finish though? :wink:

Almost there! I'm looking forward to seeing the final article. Also the obligatory picture in darkness for the LEDs to do their stuff :smile.:

Seconded, gotta see this big guy in full shiny mode!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a final update shot for the day. Light has very much gone but that's good for the lights (if not my camera!):

gallery_30308_12009_13318.jpg

Well on course to finish tomorrow as planned for the ETL, but that won't be the end for her! I have some further plans I will be mulling over and working on beyond the ETL, but before then I will definitely need a bit of a break from such a big project!

Here we go, my ETL vow is complete! First things first; a huge thank you to everyone who has followed and helped out. This is the best model I have ever done, and perhaps will ever do, and that was all thanks to the assistance I have received here. There is surely no better place than the B&C for sharing the hobby! Secondly while this is the end of my ETL vow it's not the end for my Knight! I'm still mulling over/putting off some freehand plans - this also including what transfers I will use of course - I'm still hunting for the Warden upgrade sprue at a reasonable cost too. Plus there's the thermal cannon to finish as it wasn't part of the vow :wink:

That's enough talk, it's time for some pictures! The Edelweiss is ready for war in the Emperor's and Omnissiah's names!

gallery_30308_12009_150367.jpg

Rear: ideally not to be seen by the enemy

gallery_30308_12009_38631.jpg

Cannon: well used and loved?

gallery_30308_12009_92315.jpg

Chainsword: for when shooting doesn't cut it

gallery_30308_12009_90224.jpg

Faces: the Lady is a keen following of the latest trends, one should have a face for every occasion...

gallery_30308_12009_55344.jpg

Trophies: maybe more to come, in new locations or perhaps just for variety? :tongue.:

gallery_30308_12009_160806.jpg

Heads up: a close up on the unfortunates who dared get in Calistiria's way :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_12009_35933.jpg

Lights on: I'll try to find the sweet spot tonight for less light to show the fibre optics off but not too little as to make my camera struggle more than usual...

gallery_30308_12009_70093.jpg

Top shot: I only realised today that with the wind blowing effect I thought would work so well it also means very little room for scribble script on the parchment :tongue.:

gallery_30308_12009_35086.jpg

Disassembled: fully magnetised for dynamic posing, weapon swaps and perhaps most important of all ease of transport!

gallery_30308_12009_64630.jpg

Now I look at them I even managed to get some pretty good photos didn't I (let's gloss over the white aquila getting bleached out in most shots...)? Needless to say I'm very pleased with her, even if I didn't get quite as much done as I had hoped I did reach the table top standard required. Unfortunately it was a bit of a slog at times, but purely due to other life issues so all in all pretty good. My next move is to work on smaller projects and recharge my big project batteries, this will also give me the time I need to finalise my plans and maybe even get some freehand training in... as always any tips or suggests are most welcome :)

Congratulations on finishing off this project, WF!  Gotta say, the end product was worth all the effort.  The basing, the lighting, the smooth paintjob, and the trophies all combine to really make this a personalized model that overflows with character.  I bet you're excited to get this model on the table and show off your hard work!  :happy.:

Thanks a lot Vel, it was worth it and has been a long time coming :) I am keen to get her on the table, though my opponents perhaps less so. Once they realise a Knight isn't some super death bot of uber killing it should be ok though :)

Awesome! I love the base, simple and pleasing - in my opinion some people go too mad with a scenic base and it's far too cluttered for my liking. It's a tidy paint job with excellent layering I only wish I could be as patient for large areas! The trophy rack is a thing of beauty, I'm surprised I've never seen one done for a Knight before and it works really well.

I would declare how it's inspired me to work on my Knight (well, it has a little...) but like most people I need a break after 3 months of ETL :P I look forward to seeing some battle reports with her taking centre state :)

Thanks :D The base turned out well I think, the "sealing" with the PVA worked brilliantly and let me goop a thick coat of the water effect in one go and while it took a long time to dry it looks better for it :)

I have further trophy plans, like hanging from the loops above the weapons but I'll need to source a decent solution first as the chain loops are too small to go through. I've drawn up a few transfer plans for the moment, probably army ones on the knees to represent those she fights with (144th, =][= and SoB for starters). Been a while since I've done transfers so they'll be good to get back into the swing of it before the larger Knight ones..!

I will get her on the table as soon as possible, but with a couple of smaller point games coming up it won't be that quick. I'll be sure to remember not to take pictures only of her :lol:;)

Well. That turned out well! Did you mag for alternate loadouts?

I Def need to build my knights. (Seriously I never ever would own any if it wasn't for renegade) but I have so many other things I swore I would finish first...

Build and paint

Deathwatch overkill

Shield of baal Deathstorm

Sword brethren terminators... spacehulk

Just paint

2 full crusade squads

Assault marines

Devestator marines

Chaos marines.

Uhggg.. so little time, so much work...

I just need the other stuff done to play small games with, the knights won't get used much in my introductory gaming group.

But for the knights. The swapable heads and magnetized dangly banner (need to build alternative dangle things like what you did) will all be part of making the 2 knights look like different members of a house at different times.

Thanks Canadian! :biggrin.: Yes I did, as you can see from the "disassembled" shot she's ready to accept other weapon arms in the same way at the "elbow" :smile.: The cannon is also magnetised to swap out for the thermal cannon, I just need to finish painting it :smile.: It was a blast to work on, a really great model so I can't recommend it enough (if you have the time to sink into a large project!).

The banner isn't magnetised, it can easily clip in to the holes without any extra work so that will make it nice and simple for you :smile.: I'm sure your group will build up a bit, until fairly recently mine never really went further than 1500pts - perhaps that will work in your favour to allow you to work on your Knight slowly? :wink:

Well, presently my group is everyone has 0 points of anything, and I own 500-4k points of many many factions... lol. Yeah I'm the 40ker in a group that hads one guy who owns every single dnd, d20 and world of darkness book ever made... for example. And lots of board games like arkham horor and zombicide

Basically he can use whatever he needs of mine so I'll never buy any other board game or rpg book again.

I just realized he has plague zombies he can use to build part of a chaos force from the zombicide boxes... lol

I am rather envious of your Knight, Lord Commissar! It looks superb. If only I was here for the ETL this year :sad.:.

The 40k bug bit me again and it seems that I'm going for a few big projects - a Knight Household. If you remember, last year I pledged a Knight Errant for ETL IV in the Imperial Guard sub-forum. He was sold along with my other Freeblade Knight a few months ago due to a lapse in correct mental health. Well, one can't turn back time so it's time to go ever forward. Selling those two Freeblades was good (and really awful) because it freed my mind to work on the before-mentioned Household.

I guess I'll be seeing you on the dueling fields :laugh.:!

Archived