Ad Mech Today

Not a very good photo but painted a whole bunch of hazard stripes and Machina Opus cogs today. The Techpriest alone has 7 cogs.

Still need to highlight, wash, base.

Priests are waiting to get OSL'ed.

18403440445_f8275febf4_z_d.jpg

Today I did some detail work on the right leg. I also assembled my new Tech Priest Dominus. That makes four Tech Priests, two Princeps, two Moderati, seven Servo Skulls, 10 Skitarii, a Tarantula, an Imperial Bastion and one last Imperial Knight that are all waiting on the back-burner. blink.png

Today I did some detail work on the right leg. I also assembled my new Tech Priest Dominus. That makes four Tech Priests, two Princeps, two Moderati, seven Servo Skulls, 10 Skitarii, a Tarantula, an Imperial Bastion and one last Imperial Knight that are all waiting on the back-burner. blink.png

just for your admech or in total? I should show you my backlog.

@anselneo, That makes sense.  I think I make things harder for myself by gluing my models to the bases and painting them together.  Will you be using Martian Ironearth?

@mithrilforge, Love the white cloaks!  Great job on that unit as a whole; the power sword on your Alpha came out really well.

@Vel'Cona to some extent yes. instead of only hard martian earth, i wanted to represent a bit of an industrialised version. So i'll be sculpting some diamond plates using greenstuff and then applying the martian ironearth. Although that being said, I dont fancy covering the whole onager dunecrawler's base in that way, so they may end up being sort of concrete tiles or road surfaces instead of the diamont plate.

This is what i'm trying to achieve:

18427596482_1af002d86c_c.jpg

@Vel'Cona - thanks for the feedback and thanks for the likes guys biggrin.png it makes me feel better knowing the bleached bone cloaks are Mechanicus approved by others.

@anselneo - great basing idea! prob saves you heaps of iron earth too msn-wink.gif and will break up the stark cracked earth look all the rest of us have laugh.png

Mithril

Progress on vow 2 is a little slow since I wanted to complete my skitarri (which was too far along for ETL but not complete) before i focussed on the cult mechanicum.

Just finished the last of skitarri smile.png

18209320929_483809f3f1_c.jpg

18207673008_e02c5438fa_c.jpg

What colors did you use? This is great.

Todays WiP -

Skitarii Vanguard -

med_gallery_9146_6928_336775.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Amazing bases, what colors / technical paints did you use?

@dalymiddleboro -

the bases were done thusly -

1. First layer doombull brown,allow it to dry Completely (if you don't let it dry fully the iron earth technical paint will simply pull it off the surface of the baseohmy.png )

2. Then it was a very heavy layer of the martian iron earth tech paint ,wait a few HOURS for it to dry...

3. A medium drybrush with XV-88

4. Finally a light drybrush with Ushabti bone & paint the rim with 1-2 coats of XV-88.

cheers, Mithril

Having found time to look through both Ad Mech books, I really think they are super nice. First one ive seen with the new layout with a good amount of Art and Fluff, plus the alternative schemes are great!

While I'm disappointed that the CultMech book is back to being printed in China (boo hiss), it's still a high quality volume with a reasonable price tag (GW standards). It's pretty enough that it completely distracted me from attempting to finish assembly on my first Kataphron unit (though it did save on a lot of swearing). rolleyes.gif

Test scheme for my Knight Warden:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/BrotherHandro/68b06c49-d095-417b-a13c-6ca761a5950c_zps76p6g0wu.jpg

Any thoughts, criticisms?

I'm worried the grey is a little too dark (image has flash), a ligher grey would be a better contrast but look flatter.

Not sure what colour to paint the gun casing on this fellow either...

@Dalymiddleboro Thanks. The bone is rakath flesh followed by a layer of ushabti bone. Red is mephiston.

Thanks for this. I got the Khorne red spray... Do you think I can get away with that color instead of mephiston red, for a mars themed Admech army?

@dalymiddleboro -

the bases were done thusly -

1. First layer doombull brown,allow it to dry Completely (if you don't let it dry fully the iron earth technical paint will simply pull it off the surface of the baseohmy.png )

2. Then it was a very heavy layer of the martian iron earth tech paint ,wait a few HOURS for it to dry...

3. A medium drybrush with XV-88

4. Finally a light drybrush with Ushabti bone & paint the rim with 1-2 coats of XV-88.

cheers, Mithril

So that IS the martian technical paint?! I'm very excited they made this. Thanks to this, I might have a fully based army for the first time ever...

I need to snow base my Vostroyans (initially got Admech because they're close by in the halo district and ally a LOT) and I want to do skulls on my dark eldar, and slather Blood for the Blood god on them.

Just a fair warning, to get a good effect with the Martian Ironearth you need to use a lot of it. I've gone through at least 2 bottles just painting my first 3 Skitarii units; I'm sure other B&C users will echo this sentiment! If you're going to go this route, plan to buy at least 1 bottle per 3-4 units.

Additionally, I highly recommend that you do a basecoat of a dark brown/crimson color before painting on the Ironearth; since the paint cracks, if you leave the base black then the cracks will be black (which looks bad, I made this mistake on my Onager Dunecrawler's base and it took HOURS to clean up). The Ironearth also tends to flake off if you don't give it a basecoat to stick to, so that's something to consider too.

That said, it's amazing paint and the effect it gives is nothing short of outstanding, especially if you combine it with small rocks, slate, accent bits (skulls, girders, barbed wire, etc.) and a few drybrush layers or wash. If you prefer a lighter tone, you can also try the Agrellan Earth technical paint! smile.png

Test scheme for my Knight Warden:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/BrotherHandro/68b06c49-d095-417b-a13c-6ca761a5950c_zps76p6g0wu.jpg

Any thoughts, criticisms?

I'm worried the grey is a little too dark (image has flash), a ligher grey would be a better contrast but look flatter.

Not sure what colour to paint the gun casing on this fellow either...

Go with a grey that lightens slightly and def go with black on the gun casing, this looks like a scheme that would be really eye popping on a Knight

Good Luck with it and show us some WiP as you go!!

cheers, Mithril

Archived