Ad Mech Today

I had my first two games of 40k ever yesterday.  500 points.  One against Blood Angels, one against Emperor's Children (30k).  I used Skitarii, two full squads of Vanguards with plasma calivers and an Onager with neutron laser/heavy stubber and heavy stubber (exactly 500 points).  I won both times, but only won the second one on the objective.  If it had gone for one more turn, I would have been annihilated.  The first game was just kill-points, and the Sanguinary guys didn't fair well against the calivers.  The Onager survived the game but only killed one marine.  The second game was on the same map - the first game played for the right to ambush this army - and in an ambush, I killed the Warlord and won.  The plasma calivers in this game mostly killed themselves with terrible rolling (I rolled 4/9 ones in the opening shots of the game) and it was actually rad carbines that saved the day.  The Onager popped a rhino transport, but that didn't amount to much tactically.  I made an error in not realizeing that rhinos could go 12", so my guys were assault quickly.  It was dumb luck that one squad got destroyed in assault which let the leader open to firing during my turn which killed him.

I just realized what this thread was all about (mainly because I just now clicked on it). Have I been looking for you wub.png! Well, I suppose I'll get right to it...from the beginning.

The other week I assembled my Dragoon with pointy helmet and Taser Lance. The Phosphor Serpenta was going to go on his belt but I figured it would look better on my Company Commander for Imperial Guard. After finishing the build, and, really, during the build, I noticed how hard it would be to get into all those nooks and crannies on the underside. So, I'm putting this idea right out there, even though it might have been touched upon before: like an Imperial Knight, glue the armour on afterwards. Also, don't glue the legs onto the body or the rider into the saddle until everything has been painted.

Paint was the next thing to happen to the Dragoon Alpha. Now, I know we don't get Dragoon Alphas but there's nothing stopping me from having fun with the fluff msn-wink.gif. I decided upon a Cream colour for the main leg and body paint. The armour panels were painted with Castellan Green, shaded with Nuln Oil and will subsequently be highlighted with Death World Forest when the time comes. The working metal bits on the model were based with Leadbelcher, had a Nuln Oil shade applied, and then an Agrax Earthshade shade to round it off. The decorative metal, on the other hand, needs a little thinking-through. I based it with Brass Scorpion and then shaded it with Nuln Oil. It doesn't look right to me but, then again, I haven't given it a drybrush with Runelord Brass yet, either.

The servitor's skin was painted thusly: Rakarth Flesh base and then two shades of Athonian Camoshade. It looks utterly necrotic. Maybe it picked up a sickness fighting the foul members of Nurgle's Garden? You'd have to ask it. Wait, you can't! It's been lobotomized and mind scraped until he only knows his overseer's commands laugh.png! Its bodysuit was painted black like the rest of my army's scheme.

Ok, on to the rider. I wanted his robes and mount to share something. This goes for the whole Skitarii and Cult forces stationed on the as-of-yet unnamed Forge World my mind has yet to create. The colour of their fighting armour will be the same cream, green, and bronze of the Dragoon and the soldiers' raiment will be painted to match this earthy tone. Brown robes. It was a simple endeavour but one that I am happy painting. So, to finalize this picture that you, dear reader, have waited to see in your mind's eye, we take a look at his body armour. Nothing mind-blowing here as it's just dirty metal with embellishments picked-out in Brass Scorpion.

After painting the Dragoon up to mostly base colours, your humble author took a break and worked on an ETL IV vow which happens to be an Imperial Knight Errant. I'm vowed for the Imperial Guard and not the Ad Mech, I'm afraid. Work was proceeding fine until, one day, it all came crashing down- painter's block struck! My cure for that most dreadful of circumstances is to build some troops or whatever catches my eye at that moment. Luckily, there were three boxes of untouched Skitarii biggrin.png.

Having decided to build two boxes as Vanguard, the other box of Rangers was opened and work commenced. Five Skitarii were built and, let me say, they are a joy to put together!

Having decided to build two boxes as Vanguard, the other box of Rangers was opened and work commenced. Five Skitarii were built and, let me say, they are a joy to put together!

This is a joke, right?  

The plastic Cadian guardsmen are like the easiest miniatures to put together.  The Sprue God was merciful for the more Pillsbury-fingered of the Emperor's minions.  Very forgiving bits.

Skitarii?  Spindlly pieces of beautiful plastic crack they are!  Stuff pressure-snapping everywhere, particularly the radio wires.  The legs are not interchangeable between robes.  The robes have :cussty creases in them that I had to fill with glue or greenstuff and then sand.  

Also, please photos of the walker when you're done.

Also, please photos of the walker when you're done.

Absolutely happy.png!

Right now I am going to pick up my Magos. I will convert him into the most holy and badass battle bishop ever, Protectorate of Menoth style, with holy flames and good amount of righteous fury. He will only have teo army, instead I will mount his guns on floating (and holy) servo skulls which will be attached to the base with those Tau Drone base sticks.

Today i did strain the mechanisms of my manipulators in the act of carefully drilling into the material of, and placing magnetic material of rare-earth minerals coated in a fine layer of gold into the material of, a Blackstone Fortress for the Omnissiah!

Now it shall be usuable even before painting is completed, painting that shall mark it out as claimed by the Cult Mechanicus. It will also be able to be utilised in the inactive and activated configurations! Praise be the Machine God!

It's Friday here so still waiting to get my Dominus and Corpusarii for Vow 3. My other Ad Secularis are already primed but I want to airbrush everything together.

Also waiting on my God Machine to arrive for Vow 4.

Right now I am going to pick up my Magos. I will convert him into the most holy and badass battle bishop ever, Protectorate of Menoth style, with holy flames and good amount of righteous fury. He will only have teo army, instead I will mount his guns on floating (and holy) servo skulls which will be attached to the base with those Tau Drone base sticks.

I have some conversions you will need to see soon.

Slowly building up the first of my Knights. Have the legs standing, Torso, Weapons all done, just need to fiddle with all the pistons and put the sub assemblies together. :]

Pictures!

I'll for sure get some taken this evening. Its been very good to put together. The only parts I havent been impressed with are the pipes for the 2 flamer bits, a little bit of flash and such to clean up, everything else great.

I just realized what this thread was all about (mainly because I just now clicked on it). Have I been looking for you wub.png! Well, I suppose I'll get right to it...from the beginning.

The other week I assembled my Dragoon with pointy helmet and Taser Lance. The Phosphor Serpenta was going to go on his belt but I figured it would look better on my Company Commander for Imperial Guard. After finishing the build, and, really, during the build, I noticed how hard it would be to get into all those nooks and crannies on the underside. So, I'm putting this idea right out there, even though it might have been touched upon before: like an Imperial Knight, glue the armour on afterwards. Also, don't glue the legs onto the body or the rider into the saddle until everything has been painted.

I even left the main body in half while i painted the servitor. My dragoon i very much made little sub assemblies then painted them then finished assembly.

Paint was the next thing to happen to the Dragoon Alpha. Now, I know we don't get Dragoon Alphas but there's nothing stopping me from having fun with the fluff msn-wink.gif.

I too have made a Dragoon Alpha. Also i got the recent Skitarii/Mechanicus ebook bundle from Black Library and the story Vanguard includes an Ironstrider Ballistarius Alpha.

Started with my knightly Magos conversion. Hardcore AdMech people, please try not to get a heart attack when seeing how many modification I made (and will make) biggrin.png

Looks good so far, the pope-like hat is pretty cool I might end up using that head as well.

Did anyone get their hands on the cult mechnicus painting guide/booklet? I was curious if it was worth buying, or whats actually inside it.

Hard charging at finishing these dang Infiltrators. They're actually a relatively easy paint, I'm just distracted by certain addictive data-engrams . . . dry.png

I have my Dominus, second unit of Kastelans, Codex, Datacards and necessary resupply of Khorne Red, Brass Scorpion and Nuln Oil. Now for the long slog.

I actually managed (Omnissiah only knows how) to glue the pelvis of one of my Kastelans on backwards but thankfully it's not particularly unnoticeable unless you're looking for it :|

I started attempting the chipped paint/weathering effect on the Kastelan armor plates, I think it looks alright so far cool.png painting admech seems to take forever though.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/InsaneDwarf/20150530_145148_zpshalgbj8t.jpg

Today I fought two matches of my Skitarii against Daemonkin at 750 points. Hilarious hijinks ensued, with entire units on both sides utterly erased in the my shooting phase and his assault phase.

The MVP: A unit of two bare-bones Ironstriders (my kitbashed AdMech Sentinels). Game 1 they erradicated a unit of Chaos Bikers before bogging down a Juggerlord and a unit of Flesh Hounds while my plasma Vanguard repositioned for optimal roasting. Game 2 they similarly held back a massive wave of Bezerkers, daemons, cultists and bikers by plugging up a major terrain thoroughfare in the center of the board. They were shortly cut down by a Blood Slaughterer, only to dish out over 30 wounds in the ensuing explosions with two sixes on the radius rolls.

I might actually have to build more of these...

Went and sold some models at a game convention yesterday, there was an online seller there with a stall....

Suffice to say the Ad-Mech Codex, Skitarii data cards and a box of Kastellans were procured for Forge Temple-Terra Cimmeria at a reduction of 25% off thumbsup.gif

A good day indeed!

Mithril

Pre-ordered the Cohort Mechanicus & Rules web bundle.

...which would bring my tally of Adeptus Mechanicus models to:

HQ. 1 Tech-Priest Dominus

TR. 60 Skitarii Vanguard

TR. 60 Skitarii Rangers

TR. 9 Kataphron Breachers

TR. 9 Kataphron Destroyers

EL. 25 Sicarian Ruststalkers

EL. 25 Sicarian Infiltrators

EL. 5 Fulgurite Electro-Priests

EL. 5 Corpuscarii Electo-Priests

FA. 5 Sydonian Dragoons

HS. 4 Ironstrider Ballistarii

HS. 6 Onager Dunecrawlers

HS. 16 Kastelan Robots, 8 Datasmiths

LW. 1 Imperial Knight Warden

FT. 1 Plasma Obliterator

Time to start building and pick a colour scheme. biggrin.png

R.

TR. 60 Skitarii Vanguard

TR. 60 Skitarii Rangers

FA. 5 Sydonian Dragoons

FT. 1 Plasma Obliterator

R.

I guess we'll Hear from you in about a year... laugh.png

that will be a lot of models to paint...ohmy.png also i must see that Cohort Mechanicus rule sheet ph34r.png ...

oh and get that paint scheme organised !!

Mithril

TR. 60 Skitarii Vanguard

TR. 60 Skitarii Rangers

FA. 5 Sydonian Dragoons

FT. 1 Plasma Obliterator

R.

I guess we'll Hear from you in about a year... laugh.png

that will be a lot of models to paint...ohmy.png also i must see that Cohort Mechanicus rule sheet ph34r.png ...

oh and get that paint scheme organised !!

Mithril

That is a whole lot of models lol. Honestly I am having enough trouble painting 5 sicarian infiltrators. Every hazard stripe, glowy bit etc takes time. I could whack up the models in half the time but they wouldn't be my best work. Plus if I ever want to resell them, the better the paintjob the higher price I can sell them for. I wanted to get another squad of vanguard but all of my discount sellers are out of stock (and have been for weeks).

Part of me wants to switch to Tyranids because of their simplicity in assembly, and paint scheme.. but its too late for regrets now.

Archived