A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

Could have sworn I commented before, but I guess I didn't, probably because I was at a loss for words. :biggrin.:

Incredible job on the eponymous Lesser Son. As many have expressed before, I prefer the helmed head, but even though I'm not the biggest fan of bare heads normally, I really like what you've done with this one. However, the helm  preserves the undertone of anonymity that you have running through your background piece by never naming its subject. Speaking of background, I also *love* the writing. Maybe it's just that introspective sort of narrative for the character, and the fact that (unlike most Astartes) this fellow seems to recognize the inherent flaws present as a member of one of the Legions, but I really liked it.

Anyways, just, well, awesome. I really don't know what else to say.

Waffling is one of my favourite things, I'm enjoying this immensely so far :D

I think what you've set out to achieve is admirable, and so far I've been nothing less than impressed. Your writing is evocative of the complex tribulations undertaken by these fallen Astartes, their flaws making them more real, though no more human than other, more illustrious Sons of Guilliman.

It looks beautiful. As far as the head vs helmet goes, I definitely side with the helmet. For the strict reasoning of as a group of outcasts I don't feel like you should "know" who lead them. As far as what they look like. The should be just another jarhead, which makes them more ominous from the story telling aspect, much like chaplains.... Although he has quite the mustache (goofy voice)

On a modeling note, good use of transfers and the use of black. Not too much not too little. Also you used the perfect amount of weathering!!! In gold it doesn't look like he got thrown in a blender. Lol.

Will we see a moritat to go with the destroyers?

Yeah, I expected a lot of people to come out in favour of the helm. Actually, I get your thinking, and there's a lot of truth in it, but one of my goals when I started this force was to see how far I could take the idea of Ultramarines who had been brought down to earth, by the slings and arrows of fortune, to a much more human level than most of their noble and larger-than-life Legion.

Remember, the guys in the Black One Hundred aren't heroes. They're failures. They're killers, sure, some of them fearsome ones, but they all failed to live up to the standard set by the Legion and expected by the Primarch. Whatever they achieve in this life they'll never be held up as exemplars of the creed of the XIII Legion for future generations to follow. I figured that there was two routes to go with this: one is to represent them as faceless, inhuman killers good for nothing else but to fight and die for the Legion in wars and battles that will never be remembered thanks to the wider context of the Heresy.

The other route is to try to get under the skin a little and try to show the effect that utter, soul-destroying failure has on men who were gene-bred for one purpose and now find themselves lacking. They can't fix their flaws, but they'll try anyway, and they'll fight even harder for it. I think that coming to terms with that must have an interesting effect on the psyche, especially so on a transhuman intellect that's been condemned for failing to live up to the standard it was bred to achieve.

That's why all/most of the fluff pieces on this blog so far have been introspective and exposition-based, rather than action-packed, terse recollections of victorious engagements. I figured there's a chance to flesh out a darker side of the XIII and a more human side of the Astartes in general. Maybe I'm wrong - and I certainly don't pretend my writing necessarily achieves all or any of this - but I'm enjoying trying to hit that mark, anyway.

And to finally bring this back full circle, I figured having both helm and (relatively normal-but-grizzled-looking) bare head on the figure of Augustus would encapsulate both sides of the above paradigm. The faceless killer and the transhuman beneath who really doesn't look that different from any other Astartes.

Having waffled and waffled on, I do agree with you that there's something strong in the faceless killer vibe (my profile pic, the RG captain Alaric Tyr, has no bare head for that exact reason) and it's something I'll probably try and capture with a future Moritat and/or Chaplain. Both of which will eventually be made, but they're months away as I only have access to paints and brushes and no bits and kits for the time being.

Waffle over. Hope some of that made sense and/or was vaguely interesting...Always happy to hear contrasting thoughts, I've learned a lot from feedback on here so it's good to hear your thoughts, Jimbo. :)

Dang bro.... That got deep. I think your writing style synergizes well with your modeling goals.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE BETTER THAN TYR!!!!

(Hands down favorite) only kidding while your Ultra's are very similar they are uniquely different with their story line. If that makes sense? Keep up the great work Brother!!!

Regarding the question of helmet vs.no helmet: I think you've done an excellent paintjob for both options. That said, while I am normally a huge fan of bareheaded marines, I think the helmet is the better option here for a reason beyond the "faceless killer" line of reasoning (although that does make a lot of sense, of course).

For one, I think the helmet gives the character a really utilitarian look, for lack of a better word: The bluntness of the helmet design really enforces that impression, I think: He's doing his job. He may have his misgivings, he may think that he isn't ideally suited to the task at hand, but it's his task nevertheless, so he puts on that helmet and does the job that's required of him. What's more, the classic GW route has always been to present an Astartes officer helmetless. As if to say: Look, the guy who has an actual face is the important one. He's the one to lead the army/squad. Now given your piece of background, your Praetor seems ill at ease with the thought that he should be the "hero", the important one -- using the helmet on the model really supports that character trait, if you ask me.

Brothers and sisters, thanks so much for the replies and feedback. It's no end of encouragement to get so much feedback on your efforts. Really appreciate the posts, thank you.

Could have sworn I commented before, but I guess I didn't, probably because I was at a loss for words. :biggrin.:

Incredible job on the eponymous Lesser Son. As many have expressed before, I prefer the helmed head, but even though I'm not the biggest fan of bare heads normally, I really like what you've done with this one. However, the helm  preserves the undertone of anonymity that you have running through your background piece by never naming its subject. Speaking of background, I also *love* the writing. Maybe it's just that introspective sort of narrative for the character, and the fact that (unlike most Astartes) this fellow seems to recognize the inherent flaws present as a member of one of the Legions, but I really liked it.

Anyways, just, well, awesome. I really don't know what else to say.

Cheers man. Agreed, helmed head is definitely cooler.

Waffling is one of my favourite things, I'm enjoying this immensely so far :biggrin.:

I think what you've set out to achieve is admirable, and so far I've been nothing less than impressed. Your writing is evocative of the complex tribulations undertaken by these fallen Astartes, their flaws making them more real, though no more human than other, more illustrious Sons of Guilliman.

Thanks Pheidias, means a lot :) Looking forward to seeing your next Fists!

Dang bro.... That got deep. I think your writing style synergizes well with your modeling goals.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE BETTER THAN TYR!!!!
(Hands down favorite) only kidding while your Ultra's are very similar they are uniquely different with their story line. If that makes sense? Keep up the great work Brother!!!

Ha! Tyr suffered a jump pack turbine malfunction recently on a combat drop (read: fell six feet off a shelf) and his base is in tatters. He'll return, hopefully cooler than ever on a new base :)

Amazing story. Incredible praetor. I'm a big fan of the cape and shield, especially the way you have integrated the colour scheme of the cape and shield to look coherent as a single figure. Exceptional art, well done.

Really nice fluff and models!

Regarding the question of helmet vs.no helmet: I think you've done an excellent paintjob for both options. That said, while I am normally a huge fan of bareheaded marines, I think the helmet is the better option here for a reason beyond the "faceless killer" line of reasoning (although that does make a lot of sense, of course).

For one, I think the helmet gives the character a really utilitarian look, for lack of a better word: The bluntness of the helmet design really enforces that impression, I think: He's doing his job. He may have his misgivings, he may think that he isn't ideally suited to the task at hand, but it's his task nevertheless, so he puts on that helmet and does the job that's required of him. What's more, the classic GW route has always been to present an Astartes officer helmetless. As if to say: Look, the guy who has an actual face is the important one. He's the one to lead the army/squad. Now given your piece of background, your Praetor seems ill at ease with the thought that he should be the "hero", the important one -- using the helmet on the model really supports that character trait, if you ask me.

That's a great comment, cheers Kraut. Gives me something to think about actually. Originally, the helmet was going to have a XIII transfer on it (in place of the awesome XIII engraving done by Disease, which unfortunately didn't take well to paint) but it seemed too cluttered. Glad you like the more functional look. Originally, I'd simply thought that having a traditionally blinged-out, crest-adorned officer's helm would be unfitting for the leader of a censuria company, but it does suit his character as an unwilling leader and malcontent - so, thanks for drawing that parallel, it wasn't intentional at the time but I'm glad it worked out that way.

Next update is hopefully going to be around this weekend. Another Tactical squad, a Tactical Support squad, a Rhino, some objectives and then we're at a playable list...

A requisition point! A fine objective!

Cookie for the reference. Just a quick shot of the first completed half of an unidentified Tactical squad serving in the Hundred, and an ammo dump/requisition point for the battle-brothers to secure. Excuse the blurry phone camera.

I love doing little objectives/scenery pieces like this ammo dump marker - think I'll have to pick up some more of GW's various scenery bits to do some larger supply drop/refueling station objectives.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/IMAG1470_zpsuxdktxkx.jpg

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

Cookie for the reference.

Dawn of War II. Wanna say it's from one of the expansions, but couldn't swear to it. Now, where's my cookie ;)

Tactical squad's looking good, can't wait to see the rest.

Edited by The Psycho

Cookie for the reference.

Dawn of War II. Wanna say it's from one of the expansions, but couldn't swear to it. Now, where's my cookie :wink:

Tactical squad's looking good, can't wait to see the rest.

Fast answer, have a handful ;)

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/images.duckduckgo.com_zpstlqw1jcv.png

Great little piece, small pieces like that add so much to any table.

Thanks Pheidias, means a lot :smile.: Looking forward to seeing your next Fists!

Oh, that may be a while, there's something else brewing that rhymes with "flight bars" :tongue.:

Bright Cars? Light Stars?

;)

If you do them in the same style as your VII, they'll be an awesome sight to behold, brother.

Smite Lars? I mean, I didn't know he was guilty of anything. Even so, smiting seems rather harsh.

Arkhan: Excellent work on the demi-squad and objective marker. I've just noticed the bases you're using. Have you already detailed how you do them somewhere? If not, any chance you'd be willing to do that?

Another fantastic update mate! Ever the inspiration to those of us doing Ultras as well! 

Love the ammo crate/objective marker.

Could we have a close up of the sergeant at all, I cant recognize what head you have used but it looks good.

Smite Lars? I mean, I didn't know he was guilty of anything. Even so, smiting seems rather harsh.

Arkhan: Excellent work on the demi-squad and objective marker. I've just noticed the bases you're using. Have you already detailed how you do them somewhere? If not, any chance you'd be willing to do that?

Sure thing. Just started work on the next demi-squad to complete the Tacticals, would pics help or just an explanation suffice? It goes baneblade brown -> agrax earthshade wash -> heavy drybrush rakarth flesh -> final drybrush ushabti bone. It's fairly simple, but can do pics if that'd help at all.

edit: I assumed you meant just the paint scheme for the dust/desert effect - but can do a proper set of pics of the actual materials used to build up the basing if that's what you meant?

Another fantastic update mate! Ever the inspiration to those of us doing Ultras as well! 

Love the ammo crate/objective marker.

Could we have a close up of the sergeant at all, I cant recognize what head you have used but it looks good.

The vexillifer? Sure, it's an Anvil Industry head, will get a proper closeup with my good camera when it's finished charging. Cheers mate!

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

IX

Pugnator

"There's a saying I learned in Espandor's libraries from one of the sages of Old Terra, the Romanii war-leader Aurelius. It goes: 'Accept the things to which Fate binds you. Honour those with whom Fate brings you together. Do those with all your spirit.' If the most ignominious unit in the XIII Legion was to have a motto, it'd be something like that. There may be no other squad in the rest of the Hundred - let alone the Legion - with a matching record for taking battle-brothers with crimes so severe they've been sentenced to bear the black helm of iniquity for the rest of their days, but I challenge you to find another squad that breeds the same kind of brotherhood that flourishes in Pugnator. We take our Legion's tortured souls and return to them the blessed purpose of carrying the fury of the Legion to the very edges of the known galaxy. We are the last hope for men without hope. We are the final chance for the dishonoured of our Legion to be redeemed. I will make sure you have that chance, brothers. Whether by my word or by my deed, you will remember what it is to be an Ultramarine."

-Brother-Sergeant Iapetus Trajan, Warden, I Censuria Company ['The Black One Hundred']

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020976_zpsjdkdyaje.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020961_zps8ecy0dxe.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020964_zpsnqm2sqpe.jpg

Wow. First, this new squad is great; the fluff combined with the high standard of both painting, basing and modeling, makes them really stand in a league of their own.

Second, your Praetor-Captain is just jaw-dropping. To me, your army aren't just Ultrasmurfs; they are WarBorn.

Just keep doing what your doing.

Another great update (although it looks like the station lost a light or two in a recent battle?  These pics seem a bit darker)  

Really a solid looking group here - you have mixed parts between armor types very well and achieved a nice result.  Oh, I didn't comment on the objective marker when it went up recently - very nice job on that piece.  I had never considered painting pieces like that to a theme to match the squads I'm working on, but I will certainly give it some thought now.

My heresy era Ultras are in the planning stages now - we will see how that shakes out eventually.  :cool.: