A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

Loving the new squad.

Well love everything you've done with the Ultramarines. You have converted them from a theoretical 30K force into a believable practical army of the 13th Legion.

I really like the use of the bare heads wit stubble. Almost gives them a penal legion look, which I suspect the members of this squad would have been drawn from :)

Phenomenal work

Smite Lars? I mean, I didn't know he was guilty of anything. Even so, smiting seems rather harsh.

Arkhan: Excellent work on the demi-squad and objective marker. I've just noticed the bases you're using. Have you already detailed how you do them somewhere? If not, any chance you'd be willing to do that?

Sure thing. Just started work on the next demi-squad to complete the Tacticals, would pics help or just an explanation suffice? It goes baneblade brown -> agrax earthshade wash -> heavy drybrush rakarth flesh -> final drybrush ushabti bone. It's fairly simple, but can do pics if that'd help at all.

edit: I assumed you meant just the paint scheme for the dust/desert effect - but can do a proper set of pics of the actual materials used to build up the basing if that's what you meant?

Thank you! And if you have the time, I'd definitely appreciate some insight into which materials you use for your bases! Excellent work on the latest squad, by the by. The fluff is especially good. :)

I have been following your thread for quite a while now Arkhan and I have to say, you have changed my perception on Ultramarines massively. Such deep fluff and beautiful painting! The same with your newest squad, tremendous and just all around lovely.

Happy to provide a (hopefully interesting) alternative take on the XII. Thanks for the kind words! And to think it was originally going to be a Raven Guard army...

Beautiful. Just beautiful. No other words to describe them. Posing, paint, basing... wow.

Cheers, bud. :) Means a lot!

Loved the fluff and the marines are as fantastic as always mate! You never fail to amaze, and how you manage to add so much character to just tac marines is beyond me. Super work!

Thanks man. Really appreciate having your feedback here and on Heresy30k, any criticism always welcome btw.

Wow. First, this new squad is great; the fluff combined with the high standard of both painting, basing and modeling, makes them really stand in a league of their own.

Second, your Praetor-Captain is just jaw-dropping. To me, your army aren't just Ultrasmurfs; they are WarBorn.

Just keep doing what your doing.

Cheers, SoR! I'm still trying to improve, hopefully future additions will be better.

Another great update (although it looks like the station lost a light or two in a recent battle?  These pics seem a bit darker)  

Really a solid looking group here - you have mixed parts between armor types very well and achieved a nice result.  Oh, I didn't comment on the objective marker when it went up recently - very nice job on that piece.  I had never considered painting pieces like that to a theme to match the squads I'm working on, but I will certainly give it some thought now.

My heresy era Ultras are in the planning stages now - we will see how that shakes out eventually.  :cool.:

Actually the camera settings were off slightly and I didn't notice until I uploaded them to this thread and compared with previous entries. D'oh. Thanks for noticing the mixed armour marks (I guess technically it's Mk V?), I find it more realistic for a runt company that's not likely to receive top-of-the-line gear via resupplies. Cheers bud.

Wow. That squad, its paint job and basing, is just next level. Dude you make me want to strive to achieve your skill. Wow. Beautiful, beautiful miniatures. Be proud. :thumbsup:

I think we're nowhere near each other in skill level or output, to my detriment, but thanks a bunch for the praise, man. I appreciate it, a lot :)

Loving the new squad.

Well love everything you've done with the Ultramarines. You have converted them from a theoretical 30K force into a believable practical army of the 13th Legion.

I really like the use of the bare heads wit stubble. Almost gives them a penal legion look, which I suspect the members of this squad would have been drawn from :smile.:

Phenomenal work

Thanks dantay! Yep, keen on the hardened vet look as well - they may be the Astartes equivalent of penal legion, but they're still war-hardened.

Thank you! And if you have the time, I'd definitely appreciate some insight into which materials you use for your bases! Excellent work on the latest squad, by the by. The fluff is especially good. :smile.:

Sure thing man. Pics of unpainted bases below plus a few comments. Thanks :)

Amazing squad everything is so polished and superbly finished..... now I feel like I should hide mine under a rug haha

Rubbish. I've got a lot to improve yet. It's all in the photography :) Cheers, Vulkan!

Can we get some close ups on the Black helms? The combination is superb. Love the use of bare heads as well.

I half expected one of the gents to have a finger necklace around his neck....

Will do - missed the photography window tonight, but soon! Cheers bro. Ha, I was thinking of going with some gruesome trophies later on, but actually I feel like that'd drag these guys too far into VIII Legion territory, and despite all their misdemeanours, they're still XIII. They might perform acts other Ultramarines wouldn't, but celebrating them with gaudy, barbaric corpse-desecrating trophies would be a step too far for the rest of the Legion to permit, I think. What do you reckon?

Gotta keep this wicked work coming that man!!

:wink:

Cheers, Zxyogi! Keen to see more Sons of Heracles soon!

Throne!  This thread only gets better and better!  The faces are painted so consistently well and everything oozes character.

Actually not totally happy with Sergeant Trajan's face, but getting there. Will retouch it later on, I think. Thanks very much, Ovidius!

Here's a couple WIP pics - just the Volkite support squad, Scythica, prior to undercoating, and Pankrator's Rhino transport.

For the basing, the method is really simple - just a mixture of fine sand, some slate from GW's basing kit (mixed in the same tub as the sand, so it goes on to the base already missed), and some of the plasticard tubing/struts from the Gale Force 9 plasticard set. Cork is about 5mm thick from an aquarium shop and often doubled up to give a better look. I didn't really plan the basing much other than to give it a rocky wasteland look - any extras (fuel canisters, armour plating, battlefield debris) painted in simple rusted metal in order not to detract from the miniature.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020978_zpsljquox73.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020980_zpsldp2epic.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020981_zpsworz7kk1.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1020984_zps2qnzjd3p.jpg

jimbo13, on 08 Mar 2016 - 1:56 PM, said:

http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

Can we get some close ups on the Black helms? The combination is superb. Love the use of bare heads as well.

I half expected one of the gents to have a finger necklace around his neck....

Will do - missed the photography window tonight, but soon! Cheers bro. Ha, I was thinking of going with some gruesome trophies later on, but actually I feel like that'd drag these guys too far into VIII Legion territory, and despite all their misdemeanours, they're still XIII. They might perform acts other Ultramarines wouldn't, but celebrating them with gaudy, barbaric corpse-desecrating trophies would be a step too far for the rest of the Legion to permit, I think. What do you reckon?

I think if you went the route of bones and what not as trophies it would be fine. I'm thinking space wolf style bitz here, with teeth and bone necklaces. Or.... you could go the fantasy way and try tomb kings bitz (think mortificators) and maybe even Empire bitz to simulate human worlds put into compliance. No desecration just bone fetish's like Chaplains in 40k. Thoughts?

Last second thought.... legionnaire trophies? There's no greater honor than carrying a foe's head with you after all.

Edited by jimbo13

Squad Scythica deserves, I think, some appropriate approval. :wink.:

gallery_60566_6038_17551.png

You've been having way too much fun with that thing, haven't you, Olis? :P

That Rhino looks awesome! I always love it when people use the VIndicator top plate on Rhinos, it just looks so badass. I would too, except I have a somewhat different idea of how I want to do mine... :devil:

I think if you went the route of bones and what not as trophies it would be fine. I'm thinking space wolf style bitz here, with teeth and bone necklaces. Or.... you could go the fantasy way and try tomb kings bitz (think mortificators) and maybe even Empire bitz to simulate human worlds put into compliance. No desecration just bone fetish's like Chaplains in 40k. Thoughts?

Last second thought.... legionnaire trophies? There's no greater honor than carrying a foe's head with you after all.

Damn, I was totally against trophies and then you brought up the Mortifactors. God damn. That's a great idea. Hmmm... *disappears into creative den*

Haha, now I feel proud! Cheers dude. CHOOM is next on the paint station for sure.

You've been having way too much fun with that thing, haven't you, Olis? :tongue.:

That Rhino looks awesome! I always love it when people use the VIndicator top plate on Rhinos, it just looks so badass. I would too, except I have a somewhat different idea of how I want to do mine... :devil:

Is it the Vindicator plate? Looks different to the one on the GW website. I actually have no idea where it came from, just appeared in my bitz box :/

Oh, missed Pugnator! Marvellous squad, even if I couldn't quite shake this mental image...

http://images2.cafemom.com/images/user/gallery/post_1492147_1239404780_med.jpg?imageId=13960805

Gods, I might have to change it now. Thanks dude, won't be able to unsee this whenever I look at the squad now. :D

Trophies are a must if they're the bad of the bad. I feel like those dudes (your ultra baddies) would be the last ones standing at the time of the codex and subsequent splitting. Then one of me would be like "oh pick me sir!!! Lord Gulliman pick me!!!" (In a giddy voice until he realizes everyone is staring at him, then his voice would deepen)

• 2 weeks later...

Trophies are a must if they're the bad of the bad. I feel like those dudes (your ultra baddies) would be the last ones standing at the time of the codex and subsequent splitting. Then one of me would be like "oh pick me sir!!! Lord Gulliman pick me!!!" (In a giddy voice until he realizes everyone is staring at him, then his voice would deepen)

There's the nugget of a good project here. Already had a couple ideas, let's see where it goes. Cheers brother.

Finished off the first half of Scythica tonight. Can't wait to get what I have with me overseas fully painted, just a bit more to go...

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030005_zpsy2urrxkn.jpg

There's the nugget of a good project here. Already had a couple ideas, let's see where it goes. Cheers brother.

Finished off the first half of Scythica tonight. Can't wait to get what I have with me overseas fully painted, just a bit more to go...

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030005_zpsy2urrxkn.jpg

Could be a great jumping off point for the rise of the Mortifactors there...

I've been trying to comment on this thread for weeks but each time I wrote anything I felt it wasn't worthy of the effort and quality displayed here. I don't think this comment qualifies either, but I've been postponing this long enough.

I can't say I care for Ultramarines. I don't mind them, even after the gushing of the fifth edition codex, sometimes I like them... but these? These, I love. So grim and gritty with fluff that actually makes me care for Ultramarines (even if by the Legion's own defintion, they fail as Ultramarines). And I loved that part where the World Eaters leave the standard undeflied out of respect for worthy warriors... Okay, you never said that but that's what I infered from the text blurb.

I like that you went through the effort of making the rhino's doors openable too. From seeing the 'rhinocators' of Augustus b'Raass and Brother Heinrich, though, I can tell you the top plate isn't that of the vindicator.