A Lesser Son of Greater Fathers: Dabbling in Epic

Note to self: Picking fight with Brother-Captain Arkhan is a bad idea.  :biggrin.:  Congrats, boss, always good to be on the podium at the end of a competition.

OT: the muddy shins/boots feel a trifle overdone, or maybe just too bright.  Still a terrific model.  Where'd you source the girder?

Yeah, on looking at it again I think you're right. I'll see if I can't streak the powders down a little.

The girder, if I remember correctly, broke off a Manticore I had for reasons unknown...

Done it again!!! The tabard is a great leather color by the by. What in gods name is that pistol?!?! A needle pistol? Is this more heresy.....? Fabius's pistol...?

Cheers fella. I'm quite proud of the weapon - I intended it to be a laser targeter for the orbital bombardment he gets to call down. RAW, a MoS can't have a bolter anyway. It's a kitbash of a lascutter from the Breacher kit, an Anvil sight, and some pylons from BFG :)

Lovely as always, Arkhan. I particularly like just how many sensors and stuff he has. It's a small thing, but it gives him so much character as a Master of Signals.

Cheers mate. Thought it helped bring out the MoS vibe too.

fantastic execution...the mold line on the pointing arm is a lil distracting. Great helmet...love the cabling on the pistol. Dust on the legs is a different color than the base and seems a little..off. Great leathers on the tabard and holster.

Good comment, I didn't notice the mold line until it was too late and the dust is a little too strong, you're bang on. Cheers.

Both the fluff and the models are fantastic- especially that Breacher squad. I also love that you've managed to portray a grittier and darker XIIIth. It's not something you see very often.

Thanks! Yep, gritty and dark is how I like my 30k/40k :)

I think this is the first army I've ever seen that has made me say, "Huh, I kinda want to paint a blue marine now."

Great weathering and posing on all your legionnaires. That comboed with the IH bitz really gives your force unique character.

Thanks a bunch! Let me know if you do paint one up. They're more fun than I thought, heh.

Zürich? That's sorta down the road from where I live! Were you there just for the competition or are you from the area?

Anyway, great update! :thumbsup:

Actually I'm stationed in the Czech Republic at the minute on work, but am moving away soon. Zurich was just for the competition. One of the most expensive cities I've ever visited, heh.

Shame you're not closer, could organise a game or two :)

Cheers for the comments, all!

Ah, right. Whereabouts are you shifting to?

But yeah, definitely a bloody expensive place, even for us Swiss who supposedly have gold bars growing out of our ears. :P

Oh, and congrats on the good result!

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, right. Whereabouts are you shifting to?

But yeah, definitely a bloody expensive place, even for us Swiss who supposedly have gold bars growing out of our ears. :tongue.:

Oh, and congrats on the good result!

Excuse my late reply, a day or two after the last update the hard drive on my old laptop decided to fail catastrophically. Have been without internet for a while, but no longer.

Moving back to the UK for a few months and then back into French-speaking Europe, where hopefully the hobby scene will be stronger (and who knows maybe even a game of 30k or two...). There's every chance I'll visit Switzerland through work or competitions again though, so if you'd like to arrange a B&C game/pint/meetup, you have my attention... ;)

I have finally finished the last model of the 30k Ultramarines I brought with me overseas. So no more Ultramarine modelling or painting for at least a month :( However, I've got quite a lot of unposted stuff to put on here, and thought I'd start with the final completion, the first vehicle of the Black One Hundred to see paint. Without further ado:

XI

Rhino Invictus

assigned I Squad Pankrator

Ultima honours assigned following Jaghuz Gorge Massacre

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030060_zpsqwhqycyx.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030059_zpsx2ycg9ph.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030061_zps3a8re7xh.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030065_zpsucfncmrk.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030068_zps4kz3djv0.jpg

More to come...

That colour scheme is so gorgeous. Excellent work.

Tiny nitpick: where's the copula ring around the driver? That does look very off to me. It's weird, because everything I've seen here is so fantastically built and painted, it's almost like you forgot to put it on!

Holy moley, that is one lovely Rhino.

And contrary to my heretic-brother above me, I don't think that the "missing" cupola is too big an issue. It actually looks alright.

Lastly, if you're planning on coming to Switzerland, drop me a PM and we can definitely arrange a meet-up for a game and/or a few pints! :)

Skimask, Wulox, 2gud - cheers lads. Traitor ball kicking is the name of the game :)

Gorgeous work, as always. How do you get the dusty legs/tracks effect? I assume some weathering powder?

Yes, it's a mix of Tamiya Snow and Rust weathering powders, first brushed in wet form into the crevices and recesses of the armour and then gone over again in dry form with an applicator. Isn't quite the same colour as the bases but it doesn't jar with me enough to ruin the effect (personally). On the Rhino, however, I used Stirland Mud first to leave clumps of dirt embedded in the tracks and dirt guards first as it seemed appropriate given the amount of earth kicked up by the vehicle in motion.

Nice work, dude! The blue and black scheme works really well :thumbsup:

Is the Rhino commander a double amputee? He doesn't seem to have any arms/shoulders...

Ha, it's one of the 'tank commander' torsos from the Rhino kit and I agree it's a little small - I assumed the marine in question removed his shoulder pauldrons to move more freely in the cramped confines of a Rhino. I'm gonna order the vehicle crew from FW for the next Rhino however. Cheers mate :)

Tiny nitpick: where's the copula ring around the driver? That does look very off to me. It's weird, because everything I've seen here is so fantastically built and painted, it's almost like you forgot to put it on!

Cheers fella, as ever honoured by your praise. You're bang on about the cupola, I originally left it off but was sitting looking at it last night and thinking it looks a bit...off, like you said, kinda empty. I think adding it back will alleviate the 'armless' issue Kizzdougs mentioned above :)

Holy moley, that is one lovely Rhino.

And contrary to my heretic-brother above me, I don't think that the "missing" cupola is too big an issue. It actually looks alright.

Lastly, if you're planning on coming to Switzerland, drop me a PM and we can definitely arrange a meet-up for a game and/or a few pints! :smile.:

Yeah, it's an issue that grew on me - didn't bother me at the assembly stage evidently but luckily I didn't glue that guy in, so a cupola is an easy addition to make when back in the UK.

For sure I will man. Might be late this year/early next so will drop you a line then.

More to come this afternoon! Cheers all, I am honoured by everyone's comments and feedback.

Skimask, Wulox, 2gud - cheers lads. Traitor ball kicking is the name of the game :smile.:

Cheers fella, as ever honoured by your praise. You're bang on about the cupola, I originally left it off but was sitting looking at it last night and thinking it looks a bit...off, like you said, kinda empty. I think adding it back will alleviate the 'armless' issue Kizzdougs mentioned above :smile.:

Good to hear! Also, you spelled Metal Bawkses wrong in the thread title. ;)

Skimask, Wulox, 2gud - cheers lads. Traitor ball kicking is the name of the game :smile.:

Cheers fella, as ever honoured by your praise. You're bang on about the cupola, I originally left it off but was sitting looking at it last night and thinking it looks a bit...off, like you said, kinda empty. I think adding it back will alleviate the 'armless' issue Kizzdougs mentioned above :smile.:

Good to hear! Also, you spelled Metal Bawkses wrong in the thread title. :wink:

:dry.::tongue.:

You can add your name to the honour roll of people heavily tempting me to do some 30K. Those Ultramarines are great, from backstory to modelling and to painting. Well played.

Looking forward to seeing what is coming next.

Cheers, high praise! Go for it, get involved in the Heresy, I've found it really addictive despite essentially being 'historical' 40k.

Hoping to post some pics of the latest round of completions tonight - we'll see.

Looking real good there, the blue detailing works well, reminds me a bit of an Imperial Fst Land Raider on the poster accompanying the release of the Land Raider, where they had reversed the colours for a Night-World Campaign!

I still have that poster from when I was a kiddo! Great throwback. Would definitely do an IF army in that scheme were I to collect IF again, as they were my first army...hmmm...

OK, time for what may well be my last update until I get back to the UK, as I'm out of finished models to post :sad.: I have a Librarian who's "finished" except for a missing arm which I'll have to replace, so that can't be posted...or can it? We'll see...

This update represents the visual element of what I plan to play out as the first 'story' in the mini-history of the Black One Hundred, and their first proper engagement of the Heresy: the reclamation of Armatura. Whilst the war-world of Ultramar was utterly devastated by the Traitors and, in theory, now holds nil value to Ultramar and the XIII as a whole, it seemed to me to be inconceivable that there weren't, at some point, efforts made to salvage materiel from the battle. This is an area totally uncovered by the BL books, and as such I didn't want to go into too much depth; whilst I think it's highly unlikely that the Heresy will return to Armatura (the Traitors did their work with savage proficiency and the XIII were utterly routed), I think there's a little more to Armatura's story after it was devastated. The Black One Hundred come late to the field, as ever, having been deployed with VII Chapter on the Eastern Fringe fighting the Khrave xenoforms; and on Armatura they discover the full extent of the Heresy, far too late to make a difference, far too late even to stand with their brothers and die with them in honour. As with Calth, the One Hundred have once more arrived too late, and all that remains for them on Armatura - cut off from wider Legion communiqués and only beginning to become aware of the scope of the Shadow Crusade now rampaging across Ultramar - is to descend to the planet's surface to offer what succour they may to survivors and regain whatever materiel may be of use in the war to come.

Whilst the Traitors have left Armatura behind long-since, I decided that it wouldn't be impossible that straggler units - from the XII in particular, and maybe even from the XVII - would have been left behind on Armatura, forgotten by their masters, or (in the case of the XII) simply too lost to bloodshed to muster when the call came to move forward to Nuceria. So, the Hundred will face some battles against Traitor warbands as they scour the planet's surface; whilst they may not offer much resistance - as the best of Lorgar and Angron's sons will not have missed the muster to move on from Armatura - they will be the first taste of fratricidal warfare for the Hundred. I'll be playing a few games against World Eaters and Word Bearers warbands to represent these initial skirmishes across the planet's surface.

The story of the Black One Hundred will reach, and potentially end, on Nuceria. In time. For now, I wanted to build a series of objectives representing what little was left to salvage from Armatura; materiel that only the Hundred, in their impoverished state, would deem worthy of making planetfall to reclaim. However, as a future update will show, there may well be a few miserable survivors of the bloodshed on Armatura who join the ranks of the Hundred, their honour in tatters, desperate to avenge the desecrated corpses of their brothers who failed to defend Armatura.

As ever, give me your thoughts on the models (objective markers) and also on my reasoning fluff-wise. Always keen to receive criticism and general thoughts.

XII

Objective Series I: Armatura

representing high-value targets and spoils of war acquired by the Black One Hundred during the reclamation of Armatura

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030071_zpsx5uyl3qt.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030073_zpsacau2oax.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030076_zpsafzpbmxl.jpg

Slain members of the honour guard of Legatus Orfeo Cassandar; unknown Evocatus (left) and Warden-Champion Komnenos (right)

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030077_zpsi2hvgmcd.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj598/Mjolnir771/P1030078_zpsdaa1arna.jpg

Listening Post Theta Primaris, locator ref. 001-78-34 (left), recorded as still broadcasting general distress calls by the time of the reclamation of Armatura; designated a priority target by XIII relief units;

Messenger pod XIII76BN56 Tertius (right), deployed from the vessel of Legatus Orfeo, prior to its destruction; designated a priority target by XIII relief units.

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

What wizardry is this!?!  The cornucopia of awesome overfloweth still!

Thank you sir! Kind of you to say.

Your objective markers have reminded me of my long-standing intention to convert up a listening post from Dawn of War 1.

Very nicely done!

Great idea. Would be an easy conversion too, just a plasticard box with rivets and armour plating added plus an aerial and a pair of radar dishes.

Will post a pic of the Librarian later on, got to figure out what his missing arm will be...

Simply going from strength to strength here Brother Captain. I never thought id see the day when an Ultramarine army was one of my favourite things in 30k, but that's a testament to the thought and quality you are putting into these guys. That bleak, almost washed out blue you're using is wonderful, and off-setting it against the mostly black armour is a great idea - does a perfect job of making the Ultramarines not as cartoon as they can sometimes appear. 

Oh and Pankrator's sergeant is a total boss. Easily my favourite of all the Astartes you've done so far.

the models are fantastic, some definate ideas i plan on borrowing.

one thing from a fluff perspective, not sure if this has been covered, how do these fit in to the current fluff around the red marked in your mind? are they the same thing or are these guys the red marked after they have returned to macragge for judgement?