I agree with Lt. Dan above.

Speaking of short range, I'm getting some Myrmidon Destructors soon. Gonna be testing out a few different builds with them, swapping them out for my Thanatars (who have been extremely unreliable lately). How do people find the different options? Rad-engine is something I'm especially keen on, as I have to fight Solar Auxilia who abuse Aegis Lines to the max. Ignoring cover is a big plus, just need to deliver them. I've ordered a Triaros, but I'm also considering the Arvus Lighter suicide build I've seen around. Anyone have experience with that? 

For your needs against Solar Auxilia behind an Aegis Line, naturally Rad Engines are the ideal fit.

In general to others viewing the thread interested in Mechanicum Myrmidons, with Marines using the Chosen Duty/"Vets are now Troops" RoW, Rad Engines have taken on a renewed significance.  A reminder that it's a Torrent weapon, because in 1 of my earlier games I found there's shenanigans with unmarked Sergeants with Artificer Armour (i.e. where whichever Marine is hit 1st by your AP3 Template, the opponent suddenly remembers "oh, that normal-looking Marine just happens to be my Sgt with 2+ save").  So just ask in advance, "does your squad have a Sergeant in Arty Armour and where is he standing please" then position your template accordingly.  Remember the nuances with the Torrent rule that easily counter things like that.

(Still really respect Grav Imploders as in other cases, Terminator-heavy lists are also on the rise and I expect a Ksons Crimson King RoW all Sekhmet army sooner or later, am actually working on a squad of easy conversions right now.)

Thallaxes actually support Myrmidon Destructors well as meatshields.  They might start a game behind their Triaros, using it for cover initially with the move up, fire, move back Tau-like kiting technique.  When the Myrmidons disembark, the Thallaxes move up, fire, move forward in front of the Myrmidons to eat the charge for them.  Now, Myrmidons are actually better at close combat, and with Rad Engines they even do damage via overwatch when charged, but they're too valuable.  Better to let Thallaxes eat the assault, then the Myrmidons can shoot something else (usually a much better return on their investment), or counter-charge the unit the Thallaxes ate.  Myrmidons have power fists and high WS, getting the charge is is really quite cool for them.

(I mention this because IIRC you have even more Thallaxes than I do and we both agree they're not as good in practice as they seemed on paper.  I've repurposed them more as a sacrificial unit...they're really quite good at that actually!  Worth protecting more valuable targets like Myrmidons.)

I haven't had experience with the Arvus Lighter build.  

Edited by Not 1 Step Backwards

Cleansers or Imploders in Triaros, or Volkite at range. Photon thrusters are another option, you get two for the price of one Darkfire Castellax. They are a lot less useful vs armor being S6, but do quite a number on elite units with preferred enemy.

Yeah that was my thought process. I think I'll probably end up getting another Triaros so I can transport both squads. Maybe run two cleaners and two imploders in each unit. I will give the volkite squad a go at some point though. I fight flare shielded mech lists a fair bit, so might give the photon thrusters a miss. 

For your needs against Solar Auxilia behind an Aegis Line, naturally Rad Engines are the ideal fit.

In general to others viewing the thread interested in Mechanicum Myrmidons, with Marines using the Chosen Duty/"Vets are now Troops" RoW, Rad Engines have taken on a renewed significance.  A reminder that it's a Torrent weapon, because in 1 of my earlier games I found there's shenanigans with unmarked Sergeants with Artificer Armour (i.e. where whichever Marine is hit 1st by your AP3 Template, the opponent suddenly remembers "oh, that normal-looking Marine just happens to be my Sgt with 2+ save").  So just ask in advance, "does your squad have a Sergeant in Arty Armour and where is he standing please" then position your template accordingly.  Remember the nuances with the Torrent rule that easily counter things like that.

(Still really respect Grav Imploders as in other cases, Terminator-heavy lists are also on the rise and I expect a Ksons Crimson King RoW all Sekhmet army sooner or later, am actually working on a squad of easy conversions right now.)

Thallaxes actually support Myrmidon Destructors well as meatshields.  They might start a game behind their Triaros, using it for cover initially with the move up, fire, move back Tau-like kiting technique.  When the Myrmidons disembark, the Thallaxes move up, fire, move forward in front of the Myrmidons to eat the charge for them.  Now, Myrmidons are actually better at close combat, and with Rad Engines they even do damage via overwatch when charged, but they're too valuable.  Better to let Thallaxes eat the assault, then the Myrmidons can shoot something else (usually a much better return on their investment), or counter-charge the unit the Thallaxes ate.  Myrmidons have power fists and high WS, getting the charge is is really quite cool for them.

(I mention this because IIRC you have even more Thallaxes than I do and we both agree they're not as good in practice as they seemed on paper.  I've repurposed them more as a sacrificial unit...they're really quite good at that actually!  Worth protecting more valuable targets like Myrmidons.)

I haven't had experience with the Arvus Lighter build.  

Cool, I think I'll do the mixed build then. Won't normally need more than 2 cleanser templates to kill most 3+ or worse squads, and the grav imploder can handle Terminators or AA Sergeants. 

Yeah I have 18 of them, I'm just kinda waiting for either Dark Mechanicum rules to drop, or a revisit of the Taghmata book. I've got an event I might be attending soon that uses ZM rules at 1k. So probs gonna take a 6 man squad with Ferrox and chainblades, as Castellax end up being too expensive. I'm hoping that ZM works out better for them, less S10 at range. 

Instead of a a Triaros, consider a Macrocarid. I magnetized my sponsons so when my Reductor Magos is riding in it, I get two twin-linked tank hunting S9 AP1 lascannons, and when transporting regular Myrmidons, 2 irad cleansers. I always keep the imploders in the turret because it's too much fun.

With ceramite and flare shield, 2 cleansers and imploders variant costs roughly as much as a Myrmidon squad with the same armament, while being more durable and being able to transport another unit, so you're technically saving on two Triaros. It's BS4 and doesn't have preferred enemy, which hurts the imploder the most, but it's still more than adequate to kill the artificer Sgt before the cleansers bathe the unit in death.

The macro is almost double the points of the triaros tho and takes a heavy slot?

so is it worth it??. Unless you pay the points for the exploritor and outflank with a four man team.

Its a really great gun platform though I like to take mine as a transport for Calleb so it doesn't take a slot.

The macro is almost double the points of the triaros tho and takes a heavy slot?

so is it worth it??. Unless you pay the points for the exploritor and outflank with a four man team.

It's a lot cheaper than a Myrmidon squad with a triaros, which also takes up a heavy slot. Explorator is purely optional.

3 Myrmidons, 1 imploder, 2 cleansers - 250 points

Triaros - 140

x2 the above, 780 points.

3 Myrmidons as above - 250

Macrocarid with 1 imploder, 2 cleansers, ceramite/flare shield - 295

Total 545 points

That's 235 point difference, which is enough to squeeze in another Myrmidon squad. Offensive output of these two options is very close. Also don't forget the Macrocarid comes with an augury scanner, so it can intercept.

Interesting that Caleb Decima can take one as a dedicated transport, that's pretty neat. Makes me appreciate him more because otherwise he is terrible for his points.

It's a lot cheaper than a Myrmidon squad with a triaros, which also takes up a heavy slot. Explorator is purely optional.

Triaros - 140

Total 545 points

That's 235 point difference, which is enough to squeeze in another Myrmidon squad. Offensive output of these two options is very close. Also don't forget the Macrocarid comes with an augury scanner, so it can intercept.

Interesting that Caleb Decima can take one as a dedicated transport, that's pretty neat. Makes me appreciate him more because otherwise he is terrible for his points.

He gets a bit better with Decima Invictus as he gains relentless to shoot his machine curse. I just use him with myrmidons and because I already have 4 heavy slots used in my Matrix of Ruin but wanted a Macroarid to.

Like I'd agree he definetly doesn't add much for his points but I do like the Macroarid. He's still not to easy to kill at t5 3w eternal warrior 4++ (once upgrades) like he's not God but harder than a Praetor. Also there is always the hilarious game where he will solo a knight and earn back twice his points in a turn.

Though I'd never take him if he didn't bring the Macroarid.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

Triaros - 140

Total 545 points

Hmm interesting I hadn't considered the cost savings of taking similar loadout. Might pick up a Macroarid then. The ability to Machine Spirit is very handy, and yeah Interceptor would be nice against a PA squad hopping out of a pod or Rhino. 

I run reductor so the two squads with triaros would both score so maybe better option. I did mean a Macro is twice cost of a triaros not the squad tho. 

Oh yeah that's a valid point. I think I'll be running my Myrmidons in a regular Taghmata list though. Don't wanna pay the Thallax tax. 

How would one go about building a Secutarii based army. 

So 3k points warhound + Axiarch + at least 2 Secutarii squads anyone have any ideas where to go from here. 

First of all, you can field a Secutarii army in smaller games, you just need 2x Tech-Thrall squads for your Compulsory. That's only 70pts. 

Regarding loadouts, I'd say go for

- 10-man Peltasts w/ arc rifles in Triaros

- 20-man Peltast squads w/ galvanic casters and hammershot rounds

- 10-man Peltast squads with rad carbines in Triaros

How many you take of each is up to you. I feel that the arc rifle and rad carbines benefit from a transport, but galvanic casters work just as well on foot due to 24" range. Also they can Blind Barrage your Triaros so they last a bit longer against enemy shooting, in turn the Triaros can screen them from enemy fire. 

Currently working on a small Myrmidons detachment, I have 5 destructors with graviton imploder, thinking of giving them a Triaros over the macrocarid because it saves a HS slot but not sure if it's the best choice. Also what would be the best loadout for my Archmagos Myrmidax that will ride with them? Finally what's my best option at Troops in term of fluff and efficacity for its points..

Thanks

Edited by RedFox

2 thrusters and a paragon blade should be ok. The macro does take a extra heavy slot but comes with alot of fire power. Tho has a transport of ten instead of the triaros 20 so depends what you want. If it's allied detachment. You only get one heavy slot.

Let's not overstate the advantages of Matrix of Ruin. Vehicles only score in the enemy deployment zone, and the Myrmidons don't score at all ever.

Also, all arc rifle squads seem like a horrendous waste of points. 3 rifles is enough to kill almost all vehicles in a single volley at rapidness fire range. Remember they are BS5. You could hedge your bets with 4-5 rifles and give the rest rad carbines. That way you get a solid anti-Infantry squad that also murders vehicles.

Let's not overstate the advantages of Matrix of Ruin. Vehicles only score in the enemy deployment zone, and the Myrmidons don't score at all ever.

Also, all arc rifle squads seem like a horrendous waste of points. 3 rifles is enough to kill almost all vehicles in a single volley at rapidness fire range. Remember they are BS5. You could hedge your bets with 4-5 rifles and give the rest rad carbines. That way you get a solid anti-Infantry squad that also murders vehicles.

That is the go to loudout in 40k it seems.

Aren't the galvanic casters any good?

Incredibly.

Its just a different option and cheaper in money (and points in a way) for the carbines!

Both are entirely great though.

The galvanic Casters are super great I think especially with hammershots upgrade because the Secutarii are relentless.

2 thrusters and a paragon blade should be ok. The macro does take a extra heavy slot but comes with alot of fire power. Tho has a transport of ten instead of the triaros 20 so depends what you want. If it's allied detachment. You only get one heavy slot.

Why not go with grav like the Myrmidons squad? And do I have to buy 2 of the same weapon tu use fusillade attack?

Also, Do cyber occularis take a transport slot? And how do you guys model them, simple servo skull?