Night Lords 101st company - 1st Legion Link

Aeternus

Okay, fixed the links on the last post. It's probably because I'm just using FB messenger links, since it takes a while to sort them onto photobucket. I'll go over all the others later today :)

I second The Psycho, both your story and Ophian are spot on! thumbsup.gif

Those raptors are coming along nicely, I love me some brutal mkV armour.

Also do you have an army list you're working towards for your Night Lords? I'm curious what direction you're gonna take this project.

Also do you have an army list you're working towards for your Night Lords? I'm curious what direction you're gonna take this project.

Honestly, not even a little bit :P

I originally had the start of '30 marines, and assorted others', then just slowly worked from there, picking up stuff as I decided to. My current list probably looks vaguely like this

Sevatar, Ophion, Librarian, 3/4 other assorted HQ models

40 terror marines, 20 with volkite, 20 with bolters

20 Night Raptors

10 Cataphractii's

2 Rhinos

Fire Raptor

Grav rapier

5 seekers, 5 support squad, 5 destroyers

3 Contemptors

Curze, Fellblade, (soon Typhon), Atrapos

10/15 assorted marines - command or vets or terror

So, as you can see, rather a hectic force. In any game I play, I just go with 30 terror, sevatar, and other things to fill gaps. I mean, I can't even field 4 LoW outside of an apoc game. I'm working towards just getting it all painted now, then I'll think about where to take it. I'm thinking Jetbikes...

I made the mistake of delving into my unpainted pile...come back with a GK army. So over the next few months I'll be doing more of them as a break from 30k, in a thread over in WIP. But for now, the single one is going here.

In addition, Legionary Kalas of the Phobian Guard is almost complete...

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/phobian_zpsuef0nhmv.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/phobian2_zpsa6psm85e.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/phobian3_zpsdsi2xenc.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/gk_zpsvx9w7poo.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/gk2_zpsndbfk5y4.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/gk5_zpsvpubbubn.jpg

Mate, don't sell yourself short, really. Your 30k Templars are certainly some of the best I've seen. Just because you're not doing lightning, doesn't at all mean you're not as good. Don't think that. You've got a really nice and unique dark n gritty templars project going on, and your guys look ace, so keep at it :)

But thanks

Also, mild ocd plays a part ;)

Looking forward to seeing more of your Grey Knights! I'll keep an eye on the WIP subforum.

Alternating between 2 projects definitely helps keep both fresh in my mind, otherwise it's pretty easy to tire of painting the same scheme for more than a year tongue.png

Fate will walk, as mortals tremble in her wake.

Soooo, the knight is almost complete. For reference, the name of the knight, Moros, is I believe one of the ancient deities of fate. So, quite close to finishing her.

Also...a mysterious yellow Terminator. Just a test model of course. Just a test model... Not a start of fists, no sir...

Bit of progress on a raptor, minimal really, but it's taking a hella lot of effort not to start painting my stuff for ETL now...aargh.

Also included a bit of story about Second claw (The termi unit I'm working through), as well as a cohort roster.

Please excuse the rather...hectic...nature of my desk tongue.png

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/20160428_075046_zpsao3jtwfy.jpg

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/20160428_075056_zpsr3b5giqa.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/20160428_075107_zpsyrynqg8u.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/20160428_075032_zpsofckpebl.jpghttp://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/20160428_075022_zpsdqxr415y.jpg

The violet xeno was smashed off its feet as tonnes of enhanced flesh and ceramite crashed onto it. A speartip of midnight blue in a sea of amethyst, the cataphractii clad veterans of second claw - the Phobian guard - sliced and smashed their way through the horde. Phobian Aezis, bright streaks of lightning accentuating those dark blue surfaces not yet covered with gore, brought his combi-bolter to bear. A stream of mass explosive shells scythed through the enemy’s frail forms, ripping through crystal armour and pulping flesh and bone. Xeron heard the distinctive click of an empty clip, then a second later the more distinctive nostraman curses. Seeing Aezis drop his combi-weapon and grip his power axe with two hands, Xeron turned back and hefted his thunder-hammer. Nearly all of second claw was out of ammunition, bolt casings creating a dim brass path behind them. Liarzan still had a single hydrogen fuel cell for his plasma blaster, and Zar’nat less than a dozen shots in his long barreled reaper autocannon, but by both were embroiled in combat at such close quarters that their weaponry could not be brought to bear. For any other warriors, this might have been a problem. Energised fists, thundering hammers, crackling talons and roaring chain edged blades all rose and fell as second claw resorted to brutal close quarters fighting. Though Xeron’s hammer had run out of energy hours ago, the brutal weight of adamantium, complemented by the strength of post-human muscles and machine joints proved more than a match for anything standing in his way. Further in the distance Xeron could see a trio of fire raptors bursting through the crimson clouds, the whine of engines reaching him. The avenger cannons screamed as hundreds of mass-accelerated explosive shells streamed down like rain. Swathes of xeno were eradicated by the unrelenting storm of gunfire, from the cannons or the heavier thudding impacts of the Reaper batteries, leaving only shattered crystal stained red on the ground, seeping into the earth below.
+++184th Expeditionary Fleet Memorandum+++
++Attached Legiones Astartes presence++
+VIIIth Legion forces - 101st Cohort - Attached assets+
Cohort Forces
Primarax - Cohort Leadership
First claw - Atramentar veterans - 6 souls
Second claw - Phobian Guard - 7 souls - Terminator veterans
Third claw - Deimian Guard - 4 souls - Terminator veterans
Fourth claw - Shards - 12 souls - Night Raptors
Fifth claw - Seraphians - 8 souls - Night Raptors
Sixth claw - Makhain - 6 souls - Veterans
Seventh claw - +++Redacted+++ - 14 souls - Terror squad
Eighth claw - +++Redacted+++ - 6 souls - Terror squad
Ninth claw - Halfborn - 9 souls - Terror squad
Tenth claw - +++Redacted+++ - 11 souls - Terror squad
Eleventh claw - The Shadowed - 8 souls - Tactical squad
Transport - Charon - Rhino APC
Twelfth claw - Judgement - 10 souls - Breachers
Attached assets
Moritat cadre - 3 souls
Destroyer squad - 10 souls
Librarius Devision - 4 souls
Fellblade 'Skinwolf'
Typhon 'Eris'
Fire Raptor 'Fiend'
Assorted armoured support
Retribution class Battleship - Persephone
Hades class Strike cruiser - Thanatos
Assorted fleet assets
Unofficial Assets
Knight-Atrapos Moros of House Nyx
Knight-Scion Aesina of House Nyx
+++Redacted+++ of Legio Achlys
+++Redacted+++ of Legio Ulricon

Your knight's really coming together, I especially like the lightning on the arch above the head (I do wonder were you got that idea from....whistlingW.gif)

Really enjoyed the fluff, the only real issue is it feels like a section taken directly from a book and I'm left wondering just what First Claw is doing there, and who these vile xenos are. Guess that's why it's called an excerpt tongue.png

As for your desk, you ain't seen nothin', mine looks terrible (and don't you DARE look inside my model cupboard laugh.png).

Thanks, both for the praise and the suggestion for the lightning :lol: I'll name a marine after you ;) just got assorted trophies to add now, and I think there's enough space on the base to do a mini diorama. Maybe a NL killing an imperial fist?

Yeah, on second read I see what you mean. Having a name starting with X probably didn't help, or mentioning their claw number. I'll probably do a few more fluff bits on this conquest, before moving the fluff to the volcanic planet that the bases are modeled on, when it's full on Astartes vs Astartes.

:lol: I'm sure. Haven't seen a hobbyist with a tidy desk in months now :P

A diorama sounds really cool, a dynamic entry type fight could be cool (like a raptor 'vector striking' an IF legionnaire).

Or maybe a single NL sweep advancing several IF tacticals.

A diorama sounds really cool, a dynamic entry type fight could be cool (like a raptor 'vector striking' an IF legionnaire).

Or maybe a single NL sweep advancing several IF tacticals.

Ooooh, the sweep thing is good, think I have enough bitz for what I'm thinking of, if I use 40k backpacks. Mwahahaha... hopefully there's enough space. I would do a raptor, but I feel too fancy a thing will take away from the Knight. And raptors cost a lot tongue.png (Plus then I'd only have 19...)

I am particularly intrigued by yer mysterious yellow terminator

The knight is absolutely superb and certainly fits well with the night lords theme

@ u @ this is why this is one of my favorite progress logs.

Awwww, thanks Blade biggrin.png And yeah, mysterious yellow is gonna accidentally be painted up some more. Can't decide what colour to do trim though, brass or iron. And whether I should follow the picture of the Imp fist cataphractii that's already out there...

Since I posted it over in the MotL thread, I thought I'd update the fluff for Tolias here as well. Though in my mind he's not complete (touch ups, base, diorama, all that stuff), he's as done as he's going to be this month due to moving away for this weekend, which unfortunatly curtails my progress on both Tolias for MotL and Moros for CHC. :( Oh well. At least when I get back there should be a typhon...

I've semi-solidified my plans for the small fists force I may hypothetically be doing. Sigismund, Polux, 5 Templar brethren and 5 phalanx warders, and the command set. That'll be it. Dorn knows it'll still take me months :lol: but I feel any larger than that and the VII might eclipse the VIII, and we can't be having that :P

He could feel his last heart frantically pumping his blood through his body, and out through the gaping holes in his armour. Heartblood filled his lungs and mouth, the bitter liquid burbling out through pale lips. Stimulants and adrenaline willed a body to move that could no longer function, not even one as gene-hanced as his. As he felt his conscious fade away, he managed a spluttering laugh through crimson stained teeth set on a ragged face. The irony of his death did not escape him - born and inducted from Terra, it was only fitting that he would fall and end his life on it’s familiar earth once again, after centuries of roaming the galaxy. He could hear and see the legionaries around him through the half of his head that remained, he could hear and see them ignoring him, moving towards the position the rest of the squad occup- had occupied. The sea green of a Son of Horus, the white and red of the World Eaters, the dark metal of the Iron warriors, all warriors he would once have fought and died with. Once. With a final pathetic pulse, his heart gave out, and the life-linked munitions around the complex exploded, dozens of buried melta bombs, frag grenades and krak grenades. The mutilated Imperial Fist was given a burial of fire and stone as those who had killed him burned and cursed and died.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sergeant, later Wall-Captain Tolias, recruited from the Ursh tribes during the unification wars, was by no means an exemplary warrior. However he was a good soldier, befitting of the Imperial Fists. Fighting alongside the early legion from the end of the wars on Terra, he was part of the hammer and anvil strike force that captured the last Ethnarcy City of the Crystal City - a combined attack from the early XVIII and VII legions. Tolias was one of the few survivors of the campaign to exterminate the Wind Caller Clans in the Himalazia, where hundreds of astartes fell low to the powers wielded by the witches they were there to hunt down. And when the Fists were sent out into the dark galaxy to unite and destroy in equal measure, Tolias went with them. 

Though a veteran of the Unification wars, he alone from his previous battalion declined to wear the Raptor Imperialis upon his warplate when it was reforged and repainted in striking yellow. When pressed he would state that what they did upon Terra, slaughtering millions of humans upon the their homeworld, was nothing worth commemorating. Only a duty that they had to bear, that they might grow stronger from it. 

Tolias would serve the VIIth legion for almost the entirety of the Grand Crusade, from the first conquest of Luna to the last battle before the fates decreed the Crusade would change, and the galaxy would lose the little peace it had gained. When his company aboard the Victory-class battleship, Integrity, heard of the greatest betrayal humanity had ever known, they were thrown into an uncertain future. There were those that screamed their anger out to the void, demanding fire and fury and retribution. There were those who wept as they saw all they had built tumble down around them. There were those who understood why, but would stand by their duty. And then there were those that merely took all they felt, and quashed it, letting their eyes turn cold. Tolias, though never as jovial as his brothers, rarely spoke after the news.

Tolias would be one of the countless thousands of loyal marines to fall on Terra, defending the Imperial palace with their blood and bodies against an uncountable tide of those they had once called brother. Though it would be poetic to say he made a difference, he was but one tiny insignificant cog in a machine far greater than the sum of its parts. A single casualty in a war that spanned worlds, and would be decided by Gods. Mercifully perhaps, his body was later found amongst the rubble of the broken world by his surviving brothers. Hidden as it was under tonnes of stone and iron, his flesh was left untouched by the roaming bands of the IIIrd legion, who desecrated countless other loyalists, living or dead.

You do Dorn Proud!

Fantastic fluff, really enjoyed it. thumbsup.gif

And damn there's alotta VIIth Legion players sprouting up.

Not that that's a problem, Dorn's sons are kinda growing on me happy.png

*cough* Go On...*cough*

Thanks Rune and Slips :D . I'm starting to slowly get a bit more comfortable writing fluff, and for lots of the day it's the extent of hobbying I can do. So expect more tongue.png Have a small idea for a Night Lords/Ultramarine bit...

Now, question, open to anyone. If I got this hypothetical sigismund, what head would you suggest using? I'm not a fan of the bare head, and I can barely do flesh as is. So helmed would be preferable. Any ideas? Sword brethren, grimaldus, phalanx warders? I had considered the phalanx warder bare one for the shouti-ness

Edit.

Well, its mostly for the Lefties Helmet which is pretty much:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81R1o6hlkUL._SL1414_.jpg

Otherwise, a Templar Brethren Helmet would probably your next best bet.

Well, its mostly for the Lefties Helmet which is pretty much:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81R1o6hlkUL._SL1414_.jpg

Otherwise, a Templar Brethren Helmet would probably your next best bet.

Aaaah, I get you. Yeah, that's pretty much a direct hit. Lets go with that then smile.png Thanks Slips. For that you get the first pick of dead/dying traitors on Tolias' full diorama base!

Pick a traitor legion, any traitor legion!

UH!

UH!

UH!

HMM UH! ONTHESPOTGOTTATHINKOFSOMETHINGHOWABOUTSOMETHINGNONSTANDARDUHHHHHHHH....

World Eater or Thousand Son?

Too abrupt fo you? :D World Eater it is. The rest'll be a mix of SoH, Emps, and Iron warriors then. Planning on using the Loken vs Abbadon base, should give enough space for what I have in my mind.

Oh, I do harbour a secret love for the Templars deep in my heart. Years ago when I first got into the hobby, I wore the Black. Admittedly back then my painting was...ugly. Black with white shoulder pads was the extent. But if I ever went back to marines, they'd be first in line. Still feel the urge to do a small force now my painting's improved. 

Archived