Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

With the way the Grav works with rolling 3d6 to glance vehicles with no haywire to speak of (unless its changed in book 6), Av14 would sit there fine and dandy pretty much immune to a non-ccw equipped leviathan since its base S8 only glances on a 6 and Assault cannons only rend on a 6.

So.... They wouldnt do much to a spartan unit.

Its why Id go Grav & Claw and Drill & Melta. They can now threaten pretty much anything.

Obviously they have Phosphex. The chest gun is personal preference.

Are these allowed to ride in a mastodon by the way? It's like 10 spaces for a dread to occupy? Or is that the stormbird

Both can can carry dreads counting as 10 slots alongside the Thunderhawk.

With the way the Grav works with rolling 3d6 to glance vehicles with no haywire to speak of (unless its changed in book 6), Av14 would sit there fine and dandy pretty much immune to a non-ccw equipped leviathan since its base S8 only glances on a 6 and Assault cannons only rend on a 6.

So.... They wouldnt do much to a spartan unit.

Its why Id go Grav & Claw and Drill & Melta. They can now threaten pretty much anything.

Obviously they have Phosphex. The chest gun is personal preference.

Are these allowed to ride in a mastodon by the way? It's like 10 spaces for a dread to occupy? Or is that the stormbird

Both can can carry dreads counting as 10 slots alongside the Thunderhawk.

Would you put one with melta and one with grav? (Melta for melting, grav for boobing the contents)? I suppose it depends on the opponent,nid there's no spart, 2 gravs?

I dread to think the silly points level for a leviathan talon to ride in a mastodon to be deposited in the heart of an enemy blob.

1700 set aside for starters. Actually that would be an evil 3000 point match. 3500-4000 more viable but oh the fun that could be had :devil:

Edit: seen the rules for them again. Can't do that and can only carry 2 dreads/contemptors. Sad times lol

Edited by helterskelter

Would you put one with melta and one with grav? (Melta for melting, grav for boobing the contents)? I suppose it depends on the opponent,nid there's no spart, 2 gravs?

A tyranid opponent would never have to worry about it, since they don't exist in 30K and the grav bombard doesn't exist in 40K. Stop molesting your poor opponents.

Quit copying me. :P

I will third that.

I'd even say that dropping the claw on the Levi is a bit of a waste. There are plenty of other places you can find good shooting or Str10 armorbane.

Literally nothing else in the game has the Siege claw's multi-wound rule though. 

I had an idea for ba for 'drop zone clearance' but had to stop myself..

It involved 2 leviathans kitted with double grav, phospex and assault cannon nipples, podding in t1 (can use to cover assault marines) clearing away most things and t2 have my 2 cortus assault cannon dccw clear anything else out.

For extra dirtiness, pop down a plas deredeo, with assault cannon nips, with atomantic pavaise for a sweet 3++ on the leviathans. As you round up, all 3 could arrive t1..

I don't think I'd have many friends if I did that though..

I'm talking 3-3.5k game here btw,

Pavise only works on infantry.

Again, id never give them dual shooting arm but thats personal preference.

Agreed, this Dread has far too many awesome cc rules to just give them up.

Also, you may as well take a Typhon if you're looking to spend around 350 points on a single shooting vehicle :-P

Everyone forgets the Deredeo.

You kidding? I love the Deredeo, currently in the process of painting a second one ;-)

Looks like a boat unfortunately.

So for my night lords I'm trying to figure out a nice heavy support choice for a terror assault list. I like the idea of the leviathan however I'm struggling with armament. Is the storm cannon worthy? It gives me the anti-medium tank I need. I've already got grab for Spartans. Would it be better to give te melta lance instead?

I'm still debating about the storm cannon. I already have one with claw/phosphex/grav, looking at a second melta and drill. Third one to complete I'm either thinking straight claw and drill or dual storm cannons. Can't make up my mind unfortunately.

I dont care for the Storm Cannon. S7 Ap3 Sunder and 6 Shots.

Cool but you're only hurting Medium armor and MEQ with it; something we can already easily do.

The Grav Flux lets you "NOPE" TEQ And Weaker infantry under a 5" Pieplate which has the potential to do way more damage than 6 Shots.

The Melta Lance has S9 Ap1 and 3 Shots (melta being situational at best). And while it has half the shots, those shots are of Higher Quality and, again, have a wider threat range.

The Storm Cannons only application is in 40k where its the only ranged weapon they can take (until we see if the Melta can be taken too; which I think it will).

I think the phosphex/claw/grav and phosphex/lance/drill will become standards. If you build a third (you so crazy!), I would either take another phosphex/claw/grav or go with claw/drill/phosphex.  The storm cannon actually has a niche against Mechanicum monstrous creatures and Legion light/medium vehicles, but I feel you can do much better/cheaper with either a Deredeo or a Kheres Mortis. 

I agree with Slips, I would reserve the storm cannon for 40K games.

But seriously, three?! You so crazy. :tongue.:

Edited by Terminus

I think the phosphex/claw/grav and phosphex/lance/drill will become standards. If you build a third (you so crazy!), I would either take another phosphex/claw/grav or go with claw/drill/phosphex.  The storm cannon actually has a niche against Mechanicum monstrous creatures and Legion light/medium vehicles, but I feel you can do much better/cheaper with either a Deredeo or a Kheres Mortis. 

Hey. You know. Sometimes you get one and just get the crazy idea to just fill out the entire talon. I can't help myself to be honest. I would like to run 3 in games of like... 1500 for some giggles while running a delegatus and some vet units in rhinos. Just massive walking blocks of doom. I might end up magnetizing all the different load outs just to see. 

Hey. You know. Sometimes you get one and just get the crazy idea to just fill out the entire talon. I can't help myself to be honest. I would like to run 3 in games of like... 1500 for some giggles while running a delegatus and some vet units in rhinos. Just massive walking blocks of doom. I might end up magnetizing all the different load outs just to see. 

Just go dreadnought rite. Make a nice big melee deathstar of Primus, Forge Lord, and whichever HQ plus some terminators for implacable advance, and just load out on dreadnoughts for the rest of the list.

Or go Primus, Forgelord & Tooled Up Command Squad (In TDA or AA, up to you) in a Dreadclaw or Land Raider and just Spam the bajeesus out of Dreadnoughts as one Should.

The Essentials are to spam Dreadnoughts. Helps that you can dodge the ~300 point tax of the Old Dreadhead Lists that I used to dream up.

..Still waiting for that Fast Attack Dreadnought...

Edited by Slipstreams