[HH1.0] Thousand Sons tactica

Excessus

what do people think of a list like this? i like the idea of deep striking terminators, wud like to make a list thats strong and wont auto lsoe, but preferably not one people wont like playing against either

only things im super set on are the sekhmet + praetor and the robots. i love robots. also thought that a corvidae siege breaker + lascannons would be a reroll to hit and reroll to pen squad, what do people think of that? avoiding tanks wherever possible 

HQ

Praetor, level 3, force axe, terminator armour, litanies, digital lasers

Total: 240

Siege Breaker, level 1 psyker, force weapon artificer armour refractor field 

Total: 150

Damocles Command Rhino

Total: 100

Elites

Khenetai Occult Blade Cabal x10, melta bombs artificer armour

Total: 325

Fast Attack

Dreadclaw (115)

Total: 115

Troops

Sehkmet Terminator Cult x7, 2x chainfist, 2x power fist

Total: 355

Sehkmet Terminator Cult x7, 2x chainfist, 2x power fist

Total: 355

Heavy Support

Castellax-Achea (135) x3

Total: 405

10x Heavy Support marines with Lascannons, augury scanner, artificer armour

Total: 440

Total: 2485

I would go for an artificer armour + iron halo on the praetor to get the extra attack from the force weapon + bolt pistol. Otherwise why not take the paragon blade and power fist to be a threat to vehicles and ID at initiative.

I assume raptora for the Sekhmet and the Praetor and pavoni for the Khenetai blades?

Seems like a solid list, I would have some slight concerns about having very little scoring (only two terminator squads) and a small number of models/units on the table, but you seem to have an answer for most things, so it should be fine. Only major problem might be if you go against massed tanks, as you only have 1 unit that can reliably kill them from range. I would go for either shatter shell quad mortars with corvidae or laser destroyer vindicator or even some land speeders with grav guns and multi meltas. But that is just me not liking lascannons, so if they work for you, go for it...

thanks for the feedback! yeah exactly right on the cults

to be honest the praetor with that armament was mainly just a modelling decision, hadn thought about it properly - makes sense to me. 

lascannons just seemed like a cool idea to me, never even run a heavy squad before. some laser destroyer vindicators would probably make more sense and cost a lot less to do essentially the same thing 

Is there a specific page number or FAQ that confirms Sniper USR would apply to Witchfires? I've been out of the rules loop for a while.

Rulebook Page 27: "Witchfire powers are shooting attacks."

Rulebook Page 171: Sniper USR: "If a weapon has the Sniper special rule, or is fired by model with the sniper special rule, its shooting attacks always wound on a to wound roll of 4+, regardless of the victim's toughness. In addition, any to wound roll of a 6 is resolved at AP2."

I can't remember if there have been any FAQs on this or not but IMO the Vet's witchfire powers wouldn't get the sniper rule because RAW it states if a weapon is being fired by a model with the sniper rule, it gets the 4+ wouund and AP2 on a 6. Witchfires may be shooting attacks but they are not weapons.

Edited by ShadowCore67

Ok, I figured as much. Witchfires aren't being fired after all.

Unless they're pyromancy? :biggrin.:

*rimshot*

Anyone have batreps, seen games, etc with TS yet?

Edited by Nusquam

I played a 1000 pt game, taking the following (from memory):

Delegatus (raptora) with force weapon

10 vets with asphyx shells and brotherhood and raptora

5 vets with brotherhood, pyrae cult and power fist in a Rhino

Contemptor Dread

5 sekmet with one chainfist (raptora)

Faced off against an imperial fist list with 10 storm shield terminators.

Small game, so it's tough to extrapolate to a larger game. The sekmet having levitation was very useful in keeping them at the forefront of the attack, I zipped them around I think 3 times to get positioning before they were assaulted.

Overall asphyx shells were a blessing, helps when you need to throw out a lot of wounds. I almost had too much warp charge, and each turn I had some left over. I found rolling random powers for telekinesis pretty lackluster. I was much happier with pyromancy. But the improved invulnerable save for the character and terminators were nice, if nothing else than piece of mind. Contemplating trying both compulsory troops and the Delegatus with pyrae in my next game.

Edited by BrotherLeonidas

I played a 2,000 point game I had

Ahriman

Praetor with tartaros armor, master crafted paragon blade, litanies, iron halo, digital lasers, lvl 3 biomancy and Pavoni arcana

Sekhmet in cataphraiti armor, 3 powerfists, 2 chainfists, 5 combi-meltas, taking objuration mechanicum and maelstrom and Raptora arcana.

Sekhmet in tartatos armor, force swords, 5 combi-meltas, firey form, spontanious combustion and Raptora arcana

2 20-man tac squads w/ AA, vexila, and melta bomb

10 man rotor cannon squad with asphyx

contemptor mortis with 2 kheres

The cataphracti took out a sicaran in 2 turns with telekinisis and destroyed a dreadnought before I rolled a bunch of ones and they all died.

The rotor cannons did pretty well, would have been better if I put Arhiman in a better spot to get misfortune off.

I picked firey form for the tartaros to get a 3++, but they didn't really do much with their powers and they got bogged down in combat with a tactical squad.

Overall very enjoyable but I think I invested too heavily in my praetor, having endurance and smite was nice, but he didn't do much other than kill a few marines.  

I played a 1000 pt game, taking the following (from memory):

Delegatus (raptora) with force weapon

10 vets with asphyx shells and brotherhood and raptora

5 vets with brotherhood, pyrae cult and power fist in a Rhino

Contemptor Dread

5 sekmet with one chainfist (raptora)

Faced off against an imperial fist list with 10 storm shield terminators.

Small game, so it's tough to extrapolate to a larger game. The sekmet having levitation was very useful in keeping them at the forefront of the attack, I zipped them around I think 3 times to get positioning before they were assaulted.

Overall asphyx shells were a blessing, helps when you need to throw out a lot of wounds. I almost had too much warp charge, and each turn I had some left over. I found rolling random powers for telekinesis pretty lackluster. I was much happier with pyromancy. But the improved invulnerable save for the character and terminators were nice, if nothing else than piece of mind. Contemplating trying both compulsory troops and the Delegatus with pyrae in my next game.

In lower points you definitely might find to many warp charges just because you of the bonus d6 roll and not having many psykers past level 1. But once you hit 2-3k or whenever you use magnus you'll probably wish you had far more. Asphyx do look really nice to me especially with marksmen Veterans where it just pays dividends. Telekinesis isn't the best lore but on a larger table things like levitation can be really good.

Levitation and Psychic Maelstrom was a great combo on the Sekmet, essentially giving me 24" range with the big blast.

Asphyx rounds from Veterans and Sekmet accounted for 5 Storm Shield Terminators during the course of the game.

I'm thinking of trying the Sekmet with Fiery Form and Pyrae Cult coming out of a Land Raider in higher point games.

How is my list not legal (I'm honestly curious, I haven't played this game since 4th edition)?

Edited by BrotherLeonidas

Levitation and Psychic Maelstrom was a great combo on the Sekmet, essentially giving me 24" range with the big blast.

Asphyx rounds from Veterans and Sekmet accounted for 5 Storm Shield Terminators during the course of the game.

I'm thinking of trying the Sekmet with Fiery Form and Pyrae Cult coming out of a Land Raider in higher point games.

How is my list not legal (I'm honestly curious, I haven't played this game since 4th edition)?

Your Troops must have the same cult as the HQ but i think the 5 man vet squad can be Elites as pride let's vets be Elites and Troops irrc. So it should be fine.

Can Sekmet benefit from Psychic Focus if they select both of their powers from the same discipline? My initial thought was no, as they don't generate powers in a typical fashion, bit was curious of people's thoughts.

Interesting question.

If a Psyker generates all of his powers from the same psychic discipline (even if

he can only generate one power), that Psyker is said to have Psychic Focus, and

gains that discipline’s primaris power in addition to his other powers. If during

the course of the game, that Psyker gains a psychic power from a different

psychic discipline, he immediately loses Psychic Focus (and the associated

primaris power).

If taken verbatim, you do not gain psychic focus when just choosing your powers rather than generating them. I'd let you take the Primaris, though, it's not a big deal for either Pyromancy or TK.

Just realized TS can take deepstriking bike characters in the Crimson RoW. A Refractor Field plus a Bike is the same cost as termi armor. Of course if you add in Artificer armor it's 10 points more, but you do get +1T. Perfect way to tank S8 for the Sekhmet. You could also opt for a boarding shield to get defensive grenades as well. With Raptora you're still netting a 4++.

You could go with a ML3 Praetor rolling on Biomancy for even greater feats. He has a built in 2+ already and will be expensive no matter what, so I think the points investment for the bike to keep him out of S8 instant death range is worth it. If you manage to get Endurance he'll be 2+/3++ T5 with 4+ FnP swinging S5 AP2 at I5. With ML3 you have a high chance of getting Iron Arm, Warp Speed, or Endurance. The first two will see him plow through units, while the last keeps him unnaturally resilient. Can you imagine 7 S8 AP2 attacks at I5 on the charge on a T5 platform? Or 10 S5 AP2 attacks at I8? What if you got both off? 10 S8 AP2 attacks at initiative 8 on a T8 platform is terrifying. Then Enfeeble would tag any unit with a fist(s) to keep them at S7, Leech Life just keeps the unit alive, and Haemorrhage is just more AP2 killing.

Can Sekmet benefit from Psychic Focus if they select both of their powers from the same discipline? My initial thought was no, as they don't generate powers in a typical fashion, bit was curious of people's thoughts.

Interesting question.

If a Psyker generates all of his powers from the same psychic discipline (even if

he can only generate one power), that Psyker is said to have Psychic Focus, and

gains that discipline’s primaris power in addition to his other powers. If during

the course of the game, that Psyker gains a psychic power from a different

psychic discipline, he immediately loses Psychic Focus (and the associated

primaris power).

If taken verbatim, you do not gain psychic focus when just choosing your powers rather than generating them. I'd let you take the Primaris, though, it's not a big deal for either Pyromancy or TK.

I think it depends on how you interpret the word "generates". In my mind it doesn't imply whether the powers were randomly selected or if they were chosen. I would say they still get the Primaris.

I would also say that they still get the primaris power as it states under that section, "if a psyker has chosen all of his powers from the same psychic discipline to gain psychic focus, he will already know that discipline's primaris power..." (emphasis mine)

If it said "if a psyker has chosen to generate" I would say that you must generate to obtain it but as that line states chosen, I'm inclined to say regardless of method used, as long as all powers are from the same discipline, they still get the primaris power.

Edit: I guess this is one for the rules discussions more than tactica.

Edited by Legionaire of the VIIth

Note that this means if a Psyker has chosen all of his powers from the same psychic discipline to gain Psychic Focus, he will already know that discipline's primaris power and so cannot substitute any of his randomly generated powers. [sic]

The phrasing here is unfortunate, however It is referring to randomly generated powers. So going by strict RAW, you need to "generate" powers to claim focus. It could be considered a trade-off for selecting; rather than knowing the most basic power the psyker is trained to a higher level and "choosing" the power(s) equates to "Pirmaris+1".

Now let's apply that contextually to the Sekhmet. Why would you use Assail when you can use those dice for Molten Beam instead? Why would you use Flame Breath when any of the other PM an TK powers are much better? So, either way, why would you waste precious WC on inferior powers?

Edited by Nusquam